Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
Guy is incredible. Most promising youngster in a United shirt in a long time. Shame the team around him are shite

Loublaze

ATLien
He's being wasted on the wings. He's ready to be our main attacking outlet already.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He's better on the wing for now, has more space to run at people and create chances for himself and others. I still don't understand why it's not obvious for many caftards.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Guy is incredible. Most promising youngster in a United shirt in a long time. Shame the team around him are shite
Agree the only thing is his finishing but that will come. But what a buy by LVG to be fair and at the time he got ridiculed by the press for a panic buy yet Stirling was more.

Devil may care

He started brightly and that run to open things up for the chance Herrera laid on for Lingard is why he's our most exciting player. Faded as the game went on though and moving around all the time is not helping him IMO.

Zoo

Looked exhausted at the end I'm guessing he is in the red zone.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He was quiet at times, but I'll still give him plenty of praise due to his work ethic. He relentlessly works to keep the ball, and always perseveres when dribbling with it. Certain opportunities end up with more threat than they should because of him.

Bwuk

He's not a right winger at all. Don't understand why we didn't play Lingard on the right and Martial off the left when you seen the starting 11

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Made no sense why he played on the right with lingard left wing. He's brilliant either up front or on the left. Probably closer to competent on the right then anyone bar Young as well though to be fair. But still a big waste of his abilities today. Should only ever play left wing or as a striker. Maybe even as a 10. Not a right winger though.

m1y2

I never thought his hold-up play could be as good as this, for that reason I don't understand he doesn't play up front more often, he showed he has a great turn and burst of space which would defo make problems to collocini. Rooney looked rather hilarious tryna go past collocini on his left through the middle. Martial would simply go past him and goalkeeper like he showed us before but yeah I undertand we have limited options from the flanks he's good dribbler actually no matter where he plays. He's maybe slightly better from the right as he can cut inside on his stronger foot though, still perfect allrounder we have and can develop into great striker but rooney must play:houllier: that's for sure and if he doesnt play up front he will drop here and herrera who is twice player rooney is and will sit on the bench. This is sad situation, as Martial suffers from it, he would score three today, newcastle defense was so open and herrera is great if given space and support and can release ball really quickly as he showed today as well whereas rooney is lost there but yeah he took his chances today mostly well so he got himself another 20games in the starting line up :-)

ZDwyr

Thought he was pretty anonymous. Surprised he stayed on the pitch over Lingard but that was probably a fitness based decision.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I thought he was excellent yet again. I don't mind him on the right.. Newcastle looked on the back foot every time he ran at them.

surf

Beautiful player to watch, the most easy on the eye we have had since Ronaldo. He and Shaw are van Gaal's best signings, immense potential.

Varun

Staff
LVG is a fecking idiot. Wastes our best attacker on the right playing as a winger.

stevoc

He's better on the wing for now, has more space to run at people and create chances for himself and others. I still don't understand why it's not obvious for many caftards.
It is stupid to waste him on the right :houllier:. Talk about shackling your best attacker.
:p

I take you meant on the left wing in your first?

I agree with Rooney looking better i would prefer Martial out wide myself. He's better out there than pretty much all our other options right now.

I do think he might need a rest though. The lad has played nearly every game since he joined.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's really daft to play him on the right even if he didn't do badly. He looks uncomfortable and uneasy every time I see him play there.

Shark

@NotShark
Does anybody get the feeling that this season is doing him more bad than good? He's clearly a huge talent, but because of how shite we are, we've been forced to play him more than he should at any club of our stature. In an ideal world, you'd prefer him to come on here and there with something to prove to the world class players already at the club, but instead he's playing week in week out with dross. He has nothing at all to prove right now and he's being burned out.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
:p

I take you meant on the left wing in your first?

I agree with Rooney looking better i would prefer Martial out wide myself. He's better out there than pretty much all our other options right now.

I do think he might need a rest though. The lad has played nearly every game since he joined.
Yes indeed. For me it's 1) left wing 2) striker and only if there are no alternatives on the right.

Brightonian

Both he and Rooney are better playing as a front two, with Rooney behind Martial. I think criticism of him on either wing is over the top though, he often looks good there too. I'm happy with him anywhere in the attack to be honest. I do think it's important to keep players like Lingard and Herrera close to him though, to provide the through-balls and one-twos which make him dangerous.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Made some good runs last night, but more often than not Fellaini and Schneiderlin either didn't see him or chose not to pick him out. Would have been interesting to see Carrick playing instead of Fellaini.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Does anybody get the feeling that this season is doing him more bad than good? He's clearly a huge talent, but because of how shite we are, we've been forced to play him more than he should at any club of our stature. In an ideal world, you'd prefer him to come on here and there with something to prove to the world class players already at the club, but instead he's playing week in week out with dross. He has nothing at all to prove right now and he's being burned out.
Nah, I don't think it's been too bad for him. I don't see what's wrong with playing him a lot; plenty of world class players break into their sides in their late teenage years, and if expect Martial to become a top player then I don't see why it should be any different with him. He's not been playing in a great side as such, but someone like Lukaku is still relatively young and thriving at an Everton club below us in the league, for example. Either way, I think it benefits Martial massively to get plenty of game time and he's getting that. The fact that it's often not in his best position is quite worrying though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's not a right winger at all. Don't understand why we didn't play Lingard on the right and Martial off the left when you seen the starting 11
He didn't want martial chasing after their right back who's very attacking. Lingard did the hard work which left martial fresh to be our attacking outlet. Was a smart move IMO.

Unfortunately in the 2nd half we just didn't have enough of the ball and never really got it to him. He does need to learn how to get involved more though when he's suffocated like that

Varun

Staff
He didn't want martial chasing after their right back who's very attacking. Lingard did the hard work which left martial fresh to be our attacking outlet. Was a smart move IMO.

Unfortunately in the 2nd half we just didn't have enough of the ball and never really got it to him. He does need to learn how to get involved more though when he's suffocated like that
The rb wouldn't have been as attacking if he had Martial to take care of. Manchester United shouldn't play their best attacker out of position in fear of Newcastle United's RB.

Adam-Utd

The rb wouldn't have been as attacking if he had Martial to take care of. Manchester United shouldn't play their best attacker out of position in fear of Newcastle United's RB.
lol janmaat wouldn't sit back just because martial is on his side, how many others have sat back and not attacked when he's played left wing.

Anyway he did alright I thought on the right, was unlucky not to score or assist. Obviously he is more natural on the left though

Varun

Staff
lol janmaat wouldn't sit back just because martial is on his side, how many others have sat back and not attacked when he's played left wing.

Anyway he did alright I thought on the right, was unlucky not to score or assist. Obviously he is more natural on the left though
Not sure you understood the meaning of "as attacking".

Adam-Utd

Not sure you understood the meaning of "as attacking".
That's you're opinion but IMO he wouldn't care who was tracking him back, that's just how he plays. He would rather attack than defend.

Having martial chasing him all game would have been detrimental, where as dummett pretty much stays back.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
It's criminal playing him on the right.

But he is so good he could play any forward position and create something.

Fer

We need to buy a right winger in January, so Martial can rotate with Rooney in the striker position with Herrera/Mata behind. Or even Rooney behind Martial like this:

Martial
Memphis Rooney NewRW
Schneiderlin Herrera
With Januzaj, Mata, Young, Lindgard, Pereira, Schweinsteiger as rotation players.

Treble

Shifting his position in attack in order to accomodate Rooney is daft and will backfire at some point. Sooner rather than later.

AttackingFlair

Shifting his position in attack in order to accomodate Rooney is daft and will backfire at some point. Sooner rather than later.
Or is it more because we need his quality out wide? If we had better wingers, I'm sure he would play up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.