Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirAF

Ageist
The more I think about it the more id love to see him paired up with someone like Lukaku. Pace and Power together could be something to behold

presumably Lukaku can speak French so they could communicate well
Oh yes.. this please!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The more I think about it the more id love to see him paired up with someone like Lukaku. Pace and Power together could be something to behold

presumably Lukaku can speak French so they could communicate well
I'd prefer Kane that would be a sophisticated attack.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Are you serious ?
In terms of natural ability, he's correct (well not multiple tiers). Lukaku is a very good striker but Martial given his natural gifts should go on to bigger things IMO. In terms of how naturally things come to them, Martial is a level above. There's a certain class to his game that Lukaku doesn't have.

I'd prefer Kane that would be a sophisticated attack.
I'm beginning to feel this way as well.

Lukaku is very explosive, but Kane comes across as more refined and complete.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
In terms of natural ability, he's correct (well not multiple tiers). Lukaku is a very good striker but Martial given his natural gifts should go on to bigger things IMO. In terms of how naturally things come to them, Martial is a level above. There's a certain class to his game that Lukaku doesn't have.

I'm beginning to feel this way as well.

Lukaku is very explosive, but Kane comes across as more refined and complete.
Just reacted to the "tiers below" expression. As far as I'm concerned, the only real difference in talent between them is how easy Martial can get past his opponents. It is a big difference, Lukaku has other attributes.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Kouroux has appointed himself Chief 'Keep The Caf Grounded on Martial' since we signed him.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Not sure about 'tiers below'.
Martial would do very very well to match Lukaku's scoring record over the next two years. And unless his overall play jumps to a ridiculous level (to compensate for fewer goals), I don't see how he's a tier above.

I'd say lukaku was just as good at 20 years old. The rest is really just down to preference in style, which Martial will win more often than not (and will obviously always win on a United forum).

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
He really has been the start of our attacks. When it comes to possesion football there is always a player like iniesta even thomas muller who initiates an attack from a deeper position ( an almost similar position to where herrera has been playing). It's not about passing or shooting - it's about facing the opposition and pushing the defence back as a team of LW-AM-ST-RW.

Lukaku is fine but i'd prefer Kane too just because he also has the ability to pick out a pass. However, martial is slightly stronger on the left so buying someone like Embolo who is a strong striker with inclinations to roam to the right - we could have up to 4 attackers during attacks.

Embolo
Memphis martial RW

Memphis-martial-Embolo-RW

amolbhatia50k

Just reacted to the "tiers below" expression. As far as I'm concerned, the only real difference in talent between them is how easy Martial can get past his opponents. It is a big difference, Lukaku has other attributes.
Martial has, for me, the attributes truly special players have whereas Lukaku does not. Of course, he has to develop aspects of his game, but as a raw talent when a player has his strenght, pace and genuine top class talent on the ball, then he's a bit special. Martial has that. Lukaku despite a decent goal-record has never had that. He doesn't have Henry type pick the ball up and frighten defenders or a swerve of the hips to beat a defender in a split second. That separates the good talents from the gems IMO. What Martial makes of that "gem" of a talent he is, is another matter, but so far the signs look very very good.

For example, it doesn't surprise me when fans of the Belgium NT criticize Lukaku. He's very good, but he hasn't got the raw technical skill of an Henry, Suarez type footballer.

RooneyLegend

Martial has, for me, the attributes truly special players have whereas Lukaku does not. Of course, he has to develop aspects of his game, but as a raw talent when a player has his strenght, pace and genuine top class talent on the ball, then he's a bit special. Martial has that. Lukaku despite a decent goal-record has never had that. He doesn't have Henry type pick the ball up and frighten defenders or a swerve of the hips to beat a defender in a split second. That separates the good talents from the gems IMO. What Martial makes of that "gem" of a talent he is, is another matter, but so far the signs look very very good.

For example, it doesn't surprise me when fans of the Belgium NT criticize Lukaku. He's very good, but he hasn't got the raw technical skill of an Henry, Suarez type footballer.
football is more about effectiveness rather than that raw ability you speak of especially when it comes to strikers. Batistuta and Shearer for example didnt have that on ball ability you speak of but were both every bit in that Henry/Suarez class because their other qualities more than made up for it. Lukaku is in a similar boat and this season has shown signs that he's well on his way to being a proper big time player. Martial has a frightening amount of ability hence i believe we shouldn't even be considering signing a number 9 but until he learns to be exceptionally effective he'll always have questions on his name. There certainly isnt any tier between them in terms of potential as what Lukaku has is enough to make him the best striker in the world.

Theonas

Scout

This exactly! There are players who have the potential of becoming the next Ronaldo (fat one) or Henry, not to say that they will but you know it is within them, some can never reach that level no matter what. Martial is the former, Lukaku or Kane is the latter. Of course the latter two can go on to have much better careers than Martial ever will. But the point is still that their absolute best would be reaching the levels of someone like Shearer or Andy Cole which is not bad at all at all. Martial is one of those very few who can reach higher, remains to see if he becomes one of those even fewer to actually reach it.

amolbhatia50k

football is more about effectiveness rather than that raw ability you speak of especially when it comes to strikers. Batistuta and Shearer for example didnt have that on ball ability you speak of but were both every bit in that Henry/Suarez class because their other qualities more than made up for it. Lukaku is in a similar boat and this season has shown signs that he's well on his way to being a proper big time player. Martial has a frightening amount of ability hence i believe we shouldn't even be considering signing a number 9 but until he learns to be exceptionally effective he'll always have questions on his name. There certainly isnt any tier between them in terms of potential as what Lukaku has is enough to make him the best striker in the world.
I wasn't speaking about effectiveness but only natural ability. And I see plenty of goals in Martial as well.

And I completely disagree. Pure goalscorers are great, but in the end, they tend to fall slightly short of players who both score and frighten you when they pick up the ball and run. Hence, why as much as I loved Ruud, Henry was better. Or why Suarez, although his peak isn't that long yet, is one of the most dangerous strikers I've ever seen. I probably didn't watch Shearer at his peak, but if his ability on the ball wasn't top class, I don't see how he can compete with the names mentioned at their best. Lukaku can keep developing but he won't be as good as the likes of Henry either unless his ability on the ball drastically improves.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
I wasn't speaking about effectiveness but only natural ability. And I see plenty of goals in Martial as well.

And I completely disagree. Pure goalscorers are great, but in the end, they tend to fall slightly short of players who both score and frighten you when they pick up the ball and run. Hence, why as much as I loved Ruud, Henry was better. Or why Suarez, although his peak isn't that long yet, is one of the most dangerous strikers I've ever seen. I probably didn't watch Shearer at his peak, but if his ability on the ball wasn't top class, I don't see how he can compete with the names mentioned at their best. Lukaku can keep developing but he won't be as good as the likes of Henry either unless his ability on the ball drastically improves.
Agreed. RvN vs Henry comparison is very apt.

RooneyLegend

effectiveness is what makes the cream of the great attackers. If Lukaku puts up 35 goals a season, for consecutive seasons while being showing a degree of BMT then he'll be in any class of any striker during his peak. Shearer during his prime was every bit as good as Henry, he posed a massive threat without all this skill. His ball striking combined with his aggression ensured that for a time he was in the most feared strikers bracket. Why would a Batistuta need all this skill on the ball if hes smashing balls 30 yards away on the half turn.

Whether Henry was better than RVN or not is another debate by itself however during the time he wasn't considered in another tier to him or Eto'o or Schevchenko.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
he seems/looks like he's nearly 10 years older than he is. plus he has 1.5 kids, if not a full 2 by now.

someone get an american republican who had experience chasing down obama's birth certificate to investigate this guy.

Oo0AahCantona

I'm not a big fan of just signing people like this because they're the only ones available in January. That's how you end up where Liverpool are.
Of course but if you make a decision to only sign the worlds best players because thats where you feel you belong, you'll end up frustrated when you cant sign anybody because the worlds best players rarely move, and when they do 4 or 5 clubs are in for them.

So when you rule out the very top echelon, you would be extremely extremely lucky to pull of a transfer of someone as talented as lukaku in january, even if he's not one of the worlds top 3/4 strikers.

Ultimately your only really able to get the best in the summer, and even then your not going to be grabbing 2 or 3 pogba/bale type players in one window. For every Martial your gunna need a few schneiderlins and hererra's to improve the squad as and when you can. Not signing ANYONE whose not the top prospects in the world is just as dangerous as signing a few too many Sahko's, because you quite literally wont have any talent in your 25 because the best weren't available.

Smores

Hate all this talk of comparing his potential to some of the modern greats. Let the lad actually achieve something first other than a big bucks transfer before he's talked about to such levels.

m1y2

Might just be me but I'm really not a big fan of Lukaku. We need another Martial level talent, Lukaku is tiers below.
some things are funnier than others, some are not

In case you really believe what you wrote Lukaku is great talent, just because he isn't as good dribbler as Martial doesn't make him a bad player or lesser talent he's got some beasty attributes which Martial doesn't and he's consistent goalscorer from the early age scored more than 16 goals every season past 4 years and he's 2Ofeckin2. He's already scored 19 this season in 25, half season, I am not sure if this is not enough to justify that he clearly is world class talent or some people still thinks he's below Martial's talent just because they are biased fans, the same people who thought Blind is our Pirlo/Modric and Darmian world class fullback..

There are some statistics behind Lukaku other stuff like talent are not quite meassurable. And noone can say Martial can fulfil his potential. Januzaj had an awesome start where he is now..

Also it's pretty pathetic to think of players of Martial's potential and that we can just find them easily and take them to OTif we really think that high of him.

amolbhatia50k

Hate all this talk of comparing his potential to some of the modern greats. Let the lad actually achieve something first other than a big bucks transfer before he's talked about to such levels.
Lukaku is a modern great already? :p

amolbhatia50k

effectiveness is what makes the cream of the great attackers. If Lukaku puts up 35 goals a season, for consecutive seasons while being showing a degree of BMT then he'll be in any class of any striker during his peak. Shearer during his prime was every bit as good as Henry, he posed a massive threat without all this skill. His ball striking combined with his aggression ensured that for a time he was in the most feared strikers bracket. Why would a Batistuta need all this skill on the ball if hes smashing balls 30 yards away on the half turn.

Whether Henry was better than RVN or not is another debate by itself however during the time he wasn't considered in another tier to him or Eto'o or Schevchenko.
Effectiveness isn't only goals which is the point you're missing.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Couldn't watch the match so had to rely on the match thread but he wasn't mentioned once until the 70th min or so. Normally you'd see alot of martial!!! :drool: Posts but he must've been truly anonymous this time.

Devil may care

Didn't have a bad start to the game and kept plugging away, but seemed isolated out on the left. When we moved him central we just pumped balls up to him like he was a 6'5 #9. :confused:

surf

Seems like he was under orders to stay wide left in the first half (until he swapped with Mata for a while). He needs to be allowed to get in the penalty area more as otherwise it is Rooney against 5 defenders.

ZDwyr

Not a good game. Just showing his inconsistency though, no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.