6.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZDwyr

Brilliant finish. Decision to shift him for Depay was idiotic.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I don't have a problem with him being moved over to the right to bring Depay on. It was worth a try.

However, when it became obvious Martial had been absolutely invisible since he'd been moved over, LVG should have changed things around further to get him either into the centre or back to the left.

surf

If he wants to follow in the footsteps of people like Ronaldo, Robben and Bale then he should learn to play both sides and continue to score goals. At the moment he is much better on the left.

Spock

Sunderland was not the occasion to experiment with moving Martial to the right.

In the pantheon of moronic in-game decisions by LVG, this one may top the cake. Martial was schooling Yedlin, more looked certain tom come but then LVG put the boot on Martial's neck and he instantly went into witness protection.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
This is van Gaal. Martial does well on the left so it's obvious he needs to move him to his right to show his absolute genius of making bold decisions.

CM

He has moved Martial to the right to accommodate Memphis a few times this season.

Memphis should be the one moved around, if anything. Martial is playing well on the left and Memphis is the one with a point to prove.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He has moved Martial to the right to accommodate Memphis a few times this season.

Memphis should be the one moved around, if anything. Martial is playing well on the left and Memphis is the one with a point to prove.
Memphis should not be moved around and he shouldn't be put on the field when we are not dominating, LVG is being extremely stupid there.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If we can't bring on a 27m signing to change a game then something is wrong.

CM

Memphis should not be moved around and he shouldn't be put on the field when we are not dominating, LVG is being extremely stupid there.
I agree, but if it's a choice between moving one of Memphis or Martial, it should be Memphis.

JPRouve

Scout
I agree, but if it's a choice between moving one of Memphis or Martial, it should be Memphis.
There is no choice to make though, Memphis shouldn't even play wide. In my opinion he should come in as a striker next to Rooney and when he does we should play in 442.

CM

There is no choice to make though, Memphis shouldn't even play wide. In my opinion he should come in as a striker next to Rooney and when he does we should play in 442.
You just said you don't think he should be moved around and now you're saying you'd want to see him used as a striker?

Anyway, my point was more about getting the best out of Martial (who is actually delivering) and less about Memphis.

JPRouve

Scout
You just said you don't think he should be moved around and now you're saying you'd want to see him used as a striker?

Anyway, my point was more about getting the best out of Martial (who is actually delivering) and less about Memphis.
Moved around means that we move him depending of the situation, right? I'm saying that he should only play upfront, that's where he played his only good game.

CM

Moved around means that we move him depending of the situation, right? I'm saying that he should only play upfront, that's where he played his only good game.
I meant it in relation to him being used out of position.

Fair enough, though I doubt it'd make much difference. He's also had a couple of good games in the Champions League from the left and hasn't kicked on, I think he's just shot of confidence.

Hed Zitin

We need him on the left. Everything good about this side goes through him. We'll create bog all if he plays up front.

Bring back Wilson, give Keane a chance or play lazy Depay up front so he hasn't got as much responsibility going backwards.

Midtjylland 2:1 Man Utd

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I hate this bullshit notion of 'not enough contact for a penalty'. He's running at speed, not to mention shifting his weight due to moving the ball and rolling his foot over it, it doesn't take an awful lot to knock you off balance in that situation, yet these 'experts' seem to think unless you're kicked full on in the knee it's 'not enough'.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I think Europe's top clubs may target Martial in the summer - he's been one a very few bright spots in our season. Deserves to be playing Champions League football as well.

NinjaFletch

I think Europe's top clubs may target Martial in the summer - he's been one a very few bright spots in our season. Deserves to be playing Champions League football as well.
He's going no where.

We spent a stupid amount of money on him. No ones going to come close to offering what it would take us to sell.

acnumber9

He completely disappeared in the last 30. But then our whole attack did. If you can call it an attack.

binary bot
He has the money going for him, will easily get Rooney wages if he maintains his performances and then starts flirting with Real in a few years

Devil may care

He started brightly, some lovely footwork on more than one occasion, but at times he seemed to be the only one really up for it up top and he faded in the second half.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I think we've got one more year of him. Similar results to this and he'll be off imo. I'd wish him all the best.. deserves to be recognised as one of the world's greatest young players and competing against the best.. not this shite.

Treble

We can't afford to rest him even against shit teams. Pathetic. He has played too many games, won't be surprised if he picks up an injury or gets knackered in the last months of the season.

Sylar

Its embarrassing how completely reliant we are on him.
It really is, hes not got much help and to think he was deemed a "late panic buy", Sad thing is , this and the FA cup games should be ones we should be resting him in but were so shit ourselves and with options, we cant do that.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
His face waiting for the kick off after their second goal... If he gets fed another year of this bs he will leave.

prateik

Bloody hell. its not like we signed him from Barcalona and this is a huge step down for him.
He was playing at Monaco... who got knocked out of the CL qualifiers and then got knocked out of the Europa League group stages.

This is still a step up for him.

Obviously, he'll want CL football as most top players do.. but people dont have to worry about him being too upset and leaving anytime soon.

wiz4231

I feel his best position for us is the LW, he's far more involved, that makes him more of a threat and more influential. Playing up in strike yesterday he didn't have much of the ball and was meh. He's got all the talent and I do feel it would be best if he continued on the left where he cut in or dribble down the line, come in the box for crosses and he does his bit defensively. I'd rather Memphis play upfront than Martial right now, if it ain't broke don't fix it type thing. Get Januzaj back fit or bring Wilson back off loan. I don't want to see anymore of Lingard. After Matas and Herreras preformance I'd give Pereira more game time.

..................Memphis..................
Martial........Pereira.......Januzaj

Or

....................AJ/MD....................
Martial........Pereira.........Wilson

Chicharito_

Obviously a huge talent but sometimes I wish he looked a bit hungrier, when the ball was bouncing around the box yesterday I was looking at him and he was just standing there looking motionless - ball watching.

If he can add that poacher instinct, like Hernandez is in the box, looking to sniff out any chance that might fall his way he could be a lethal forward. Also would like to see more aggression from him, like Ronaldo when he was developing into a world class player - you could tell he wanted it so badly and was just a winner that wasn't going to fail, I get they are 2 different people but it is concerning how it looks like he doesn't give a sh*t sometimes. Hoping next season he will be more selfish and look to get more shots away and be disappointed if he doesn't score in every game he plays, he can beat his man so effortlessly and work himself into some great shooting positions but seems to try too much or look to pass when he should just let fly.

I know that seems harsh and I'm asking a lot for someone that's new to the league and just turned 20 years old but that is the level I see him at - he could be the next superstar if we develop him right.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Obviously a huge talent but sometimes I wish he looked a bit hungrier, when the ball was bouncing around the box yesterday I was looking at him and he was just standing there looking motionless - ball watching.

If he can add that poacher instinct, like Hernandez is in the box, looking to sniff out any chance that might fall his way he could be a lethal forward. Also would like to see more aggression from him, like Ronaldo when he was developing into a world class player - you could tell he wanted it so badly and was just a winner that wasn't going to fail, I get they are 2 different people but it is concerning how it looks like he doesn't give a sh*t sometimes. Hoping next season he will be more selfish and look to get more shots away and be disappointed if he doesn't score in every game he plays, he can beat his man so effortlessly and work himself into some great shooting positions but seems to try too much or look to pass when he should just let fly.

I know that seems harsh and I'm asking a lot for someone that's new to the league and just turned 20 years old but that is the level I see him at - he could be the next superstar if we develop him right.
I agree with you. His natural talent is fantastic but he needs that extra raw mentality IMO, that Suarez-esque thunder and hunger.

Status
Not open for further replies.