Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Louis van Gaal has admitted that even he is “surprised” by the immediate impact Anthony Martial has had at Manchester United.

The French forward has emerged as United’s accidental main man since joining from Ligue Un side Monaco in the summer.

Martial became the most expensive teenager in history after United signed him for £36.7million on transfer deadline day in the summer, with the 19-year-old expected to integrated slowly into the first team.

But the 20-year-old has scored nine goals in 29 games at the club, becoming their second-top goalscorer this season behind captain Wayne Rooney.

Manager Van Gaal admits that even he has found Martial’s immediate impact “very much surprising”, with the striker having scored against Stoke on Tuesday.

“You come from the French league, come to the Premier League and you do this at 20 then you have a lot of potential to give but then I am the manager not any more at that time when he is at his best,” Van Gaal said.

Martial impressed again as a wide forward at Old Trafford against Stoke, with chances in his favoured central position few and far between for the French international so far.

“That [starting centrally] is dependent on the shape of the team, his fellow players,” Van Gaal added. “He likes to play in a striker’s position more than where he is now playing but when I need him to play on the other side. When he plays like this I am not changing. Same as Rooney, same as Mata. I am not changing.

“They were team goals and team goals I love the most – superb, superb. I’m also happy with individual goals but these were a team. The finishing was also very good.”

Big hint there that he will not be sticking around
You are as bad as Neil Custis. Martial will be coming into his prime around 25 years of age. Of course he isn't sticking around for another five years, a true nothing comment.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, Martial will only be 21/22 should Vangle see out his contract. Long way from his peak.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We can only hope Martial is here at his peak, potential club legend

XdanielredX

Is it just me or does Martial look so much like the guy who played Dre in Straight Outta Compton?

Seriously they actually do look pretty similar, he reminded me of Martial the whole movie... inb4 people call "OH ALL BLACK PEOPLE LOOK THE SAME DO THEY???" on me....

Treble

I hope he has a field day against Ivanovich. The latter hasn't been solid this season.

pseudo_canadian

I have watched his goal for the 89th time this morning, true class.
It was so well taken. His first touch to bring down Rooney's pass was world class, and the way he just nonchalantly steps into the shop and just whips it makes him look like a seasoned player.

And he just turned 20! Simply incredible.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
His finishing will improve but his close control is better than Henry's or pretty much every other player (bar Messi and maybe Suarez). I just can't get over the fact that his technique on the ball, running in between defenders is quite often executed perfectly at pace.

Absolute bargain.
I second this

Martial's dribbling technique is superior to Henry's in my opinion aswel. As for the pace argument it's too early to tell.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not sure why he didn't try and go on the outside today, pretty much every dribble he did was cutting in.

Was unlucky not to score from a great save from cortious but apart from that was fairly quiet.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Not sure why he didn't try and go on the outside today, pretty much every dribble he did was cutting in.

Was unlucky not to score from a great save from cortious but apart from that was fairly quiet.
Thought ivanovic simply reads the game pretty well and decided to show up for a day. Was pretty tight on him too.

AttackingFlair

Great shot in the first half, but after that Chelsea knew he would go on the inside and managed to tackle him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Thought ivanovic simply reads the game pretty well and decided to show up for a day. Was pretty tight on him too.
True he was, but at times he had him turned and back peddling, just never chose to go outside. Thought he would have wanted to test his pace but he never really for him running

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Did well in the first half, nothing really in the second. Ivanovic stuck tight to him and Willian covered well to not give him much space. Still had a few very good moments where he could've scored though.

Treble

Most keepers in the league wouldn't have saved his shot in the first half.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Was unlucky not to score. Courtois did brilliantly to save his first half effort and Martial did very well to create enough space for his second half chance, but really should have gone for the far corner.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Wouldn't say Ivanovic had his number in that game. Chelsea were set up to defend against him, doubling up every opportunity. Mikel wouldn't have played the whole game if it weren't for Martial. More and more teams will start to do this as there are very few right backs who can live with Martial. Shame we cannot capitalize with another of his ilk on the other wing.

Scorpy

They doubled on him all game, yet he still created two very good chances for himself. Shows just how good the guy is.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Some people continue to insist he can't shoot.

There's only a handful of keepers in the league who save that.
He can curl the ball pretty well, which is great when shooting after cutting in from the left wing.

When playing centrally, the striker should be able to smash the ball in as well from distance, which Martial hasn't shown an ability to do so far.

Scorpy

He can curl the ball pretty well, which is great when shooting after cutting in from the left wing.

When playing centrally, the striker should be able to smash the ball in as well from distance, which Martial hasn't shown an ability to do so far.
The strike against Chelsea wasn't a curler, though you're right he hasn't shown it centrally so far.

I think he was a bit too hesitant in terms of shooting from distance until a few weeks ago. Maybe I'm imagining things, but he's started shooting more often and the shot against Chelsea was the latest example. The only way he'd improve his shooting technique from long distance is by actually shooting, so long may it continue.

Last edited:

El-Manos

Is it just me or does Martial look so much like the guy who played Dre in Straight Outta Compton?

Seriously they actually do look pretty similar, he reminded me of Martial the whole movie... inb4 people call "OH ALL BLACK PEOPLE LOOK THE SAME DO THEY???" on me....
Noticed that as well when I was watching it.

Status
Not open for further replies.