Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Looking forward to the Liverpool match now! Can't wait to see him sit on the bench for 80 minutes and then have no time to show what he's really about.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Been watching more of Martial these last couple of days, and as far as I can tell the Henry comparison although understandable given their similar (but not quite) style, nationality and history at Monaco, seems a bit off base. Honestly don't think he has the ability to turn into an Henry type forward that could pick the ball up at the halfway line, beat 5 players and end up scoring a goal. He will have to rely on his team-mates to bring him into play to a larger degree.

Somehow reminds me more of a young Fernando Torres at Atletico, who was arguably the biggest striking talent of his age bracket, laughable as it may sound now. Comparable levels of long striding pace and overall frame, excellent change of direction, takes up good positions for his age, not the greatest ball control though, and dunno how to explain this - but he naturally 'knows' where the goal is once it's in range, and just like young Torres scores in a lot of different ways. Can't remember exactly who said this (Aragones?), but it was something to the effect of - no two of Torres' goals are alike.

Martial gives a similar vibe, and hopefully with experience and greater consistency, he can develop into the type of striker Torres was later on in his first stint at Atletico, and the first couple of seasons at Liverpool. Much more excited about this signing that I initially was, irrespective of the transfer fee. :D

iammemphis

Been watching more of Martial these last couple of days, and as far as I can tell the Henry comparison although understandable given their similar (but not quite) style, nationality and history at Monaco, seems a bit off base. Honestly don't think he has the ability to turn into an Henry type forward that could pick the ball up at the halfway line, beat 5 players and end up scoring a goal. He will have to rely on his team-mates to bring him into play to a larger degree.

Somehow reminds me more of a young Fernando Torres at Atletico, who was arguably the biggest striking talent of his age bracket, laughable as it may sound now. Comparable levels of long striding pace and overall frame, excellent change of direction, takes up good positions for his age, not the greatest ball control though, and dunno how to explain this - but he naturally 'knows' where the goal is once it's in range, and just like young Torres scores in a lot of different ways. Can't remember exactly who said this (Aragones?), but it was something to the effect of - no two of Torres' goals are alike.

Martial gives a similar vibe, and hopefully with experience and greater consistency, he can develop into the type of striker Torres was later on in his first stint at Atletico, and the first couple of seasons at Liverpool. Much more excited about this signing that I initially was, irrespective of the transfer fee. :D
I wouldn't dismiss it though. Of the videos i have seen most of them are of him cutting in from the left to create an opportunity for a team mate or a goal scoring chance? Something Henry did pretty much every game. I think that's where the comparisons lie.

As an example, when i youtube Martial goal on youtube it comes up with a scout nation video. The first goal of the compilation he picks it up on the half way line on the left, cuts in then scores near post. Might be a lazy comparison but when i last watched that video and others he more often then not appeared on the left. In my opinion he has very good close ball control with his feet that lets him get out of tight situations.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I wouldn't dismiss it though. Of the videos i have seen most of them are of him cutting in from the left to create an opportunity for a team mate or a goal scoring chance? Something Henry did pretty much every game. I think that's where the comparisons lie.
Aren't him and Memphis potentially going to be getting in each other's way in that case?

iammemphis

Aren't him and Memphis potentially going to be getting in each other's way in that case?
Well that's what i thought in all honesty. I saw someone reverse it saying it means we will get alot of joy out of the left flank with them two linking up creating chances for each other. Ill guess we'll have to wait and see!

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Looking forward to the Liverpool match now! Can't wait to see him sit on the bench for 80 minutes and then have no time to show what he's really about.
Yeah, too bad his contract expires after the Liverpool game.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Yeah I get what you're trying to say, but to be fair, if we use that as a tool, a lot of strikers develop their game through wider areas. eg. Van Persie often started out wide for Feyenoord and even Arsenal, drifted in to create a chance for a team-mate or scored himself. But we can't formulate a comparison predicated heavily on that trait while ignoring a lot of other areas. A majority of his overall qualities (most prominent exclusions are aerial prowess - Martial's not a prominent heading threat like Torres yet, and sometimes his touch is inconsistent) remind me almost immediately of Torres in the mid 2000s, which isn't necessarily to dismiss the Henry comparison per se. And high chances are the ones who are making the comparison are more informed as professionals, than a casual watcher like me anyway.

m1y2

My bet is the guy will find it very hard in his first year here, his only luck is that Van Gaal will back him as he was the one who so badly needed him in our team and thrown the money for him. He loves his young players...

iammemphis

My bet is the guy will find it very hard in his first year here, his only luck is that Van Gaal will back him as he was the one who so badly needed him in our team and thrown the money for him. He loves his young players...
Hmm he's always said money makes no difference. Never stopped him from dropping Di Maria or Herrera at times. The only case i could agree with you on is Rooney who has looked dog shit alot of the time but still gets 90 minutes.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't think he'll start against Liverpool. Lvg will probably be weary of throwing him right in against our biggest rivals.

Also, any chance of him started vs Portugal or will it be benzema?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Considering how poor both Rooney and Memphis have been in PL games so far, I wouldn't be surprised if he got some playing time in the next few fixtures.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Considering how poor both Rooney and Memphis have been in PL games so far, I wouldn't be surprised if he got some playing time in the next few fixtures.
Think that's why we bought him!

NoLogo

I think he will start with Rooney playing behind him. He will have a fairly good debut while Rooney is going to have his usual shocker against Liverpool. So after 60 minutes he will come off and Rooney will play the whole 90 minutes to the dismay of all the people moaning about how awful and shit Rooney is.

NoPace

Not starting the friendly against Portugal. Fekir is, though.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan

On bench for france against Portugal, i think he is there just because Lacazette was injured. For anyone who was dismayed that we bought him instead of lacazette should know at martial's age lacazette's record was abysmal, lacazette is 24 now and last year and year before that is the only time he has shown some good goal scoring ability. He is 4 years elder of martial and martial had a decent run last year when he scored 8 goals in quick time.
Martial is playing better than him at the same age. I hope he comes on today and shows some good touches. We will be dependent on him hugely if we are to succeed this year. Not ideal for him but rooney was similar age when he came here, so was ronaldo i hope he goes in that bracket rather than anderson and Nani bracket.

On another note, what a fecking great bench that is, fekir who starts confessed to media he would love to move to united. He will be a star and will be a great number 10 of the future. I hope we keep an eye on him. I feel he has better potential than Lacazette.

izec

Video of his performance against PSG from the other week. Really worth a watch. He really does seems to have all the raw materials needed to be a top top striker. Very fast, incredibly strong, good touch, can dribble, can hold the ball up, the more I watch of him the more I see why we wanted him to badly. What I like most about his performance here is he looks very strong against Luiz/Silva, he doesn't get physically out muscled at all. I also like the way he's immediately looking to turn and run at the defence the minuet he gets the ball. We've really missed that from our strikers for a number of years.

Lets hope LvG doesnt coach it out of him with his philosophy bollocks. I really miiss that. So far our strikers wouldnt do that under LvG, lets hope Martial does it, because he can do it. With Rooney, Falcao and RvP, you dont expect that necesseraly.

amolbhatia50k

Lets hope LvG doesnt coach it out of him with his philosophy bollocks. I really miiss that. So far our strikers wouldnt do that under LvG, lets hope Martial does it, because he can do it. With Rooney, Falcao and RvP, you dont expect that necesseraly.
Indeed, like he has with.... yeah, no I can't think of anyone.

izec

Indeed, like he has with.... yeah, no I can't think of anyone.
Not striker, but plenty of other out field players, especially our mdfielders. The only hope i have is that Martial is so different than what we had/have, that he has all the freedom to damage the opponents. I have faith and hope van Gaal uses him up front and not on the right side.

amolbhatia50k

Not striker, but plenty of other out field players, especially our mdfielders. The only hope i have is that Martial is so different than what we had/have, that he has all the freedom to damage the opponents. I have faith and hope van Gaal uses him up front and not on the right side.
Which midfielders? Which outfield players?

Schneiderlin on in the France game. Booo he's old news now.

amolbhatia50k

I thought you were going to name someone we've seen at United who had creativity taken out of him.

We don't really have a reference point with regards to Herrera in England. It's like saying Kagawa had the creativity sucked out of him, or Veron. It's a case of fitting into a different style of football. Had he gone to Barcelona he'd have to become a more discipline player as well. That's possession football vs the frantic Atletico style.

I'm interested in this because people keep bringing it up. But has anyone of our attackers who we've had prior like Rooney, Mata, Young, Fellaini actually been curtailed? I can't see it one bit. Depay is another one who gets the licence to try all his flicks and tricks.

izec

I thought you were going to name someone we've seen at United who had creativity taken out of him.

We don't really have a reference point with regards to Herrera in England. It's like saying Kagawa had the creativity sucked out of him, or Veron. It's a case of fitting into a different style of football. Had he gone to Barcelona he'd have to become a more discipline player as well. That's possession football vs the frantic Atletico style.

I'm interested in this because people keep bringing it up. But has anyone of our attackers who we've had prior like Rooney, Mata, Young, Fellaini actually been curtailed? I can't see it one bit. Depay is another one who gets the licence to try all his flicks and tricks.
Thats the thing. I expected Rooney to do more, maybe he is just past it in that regard. Martial will be intersting to follow. He is young and likes to dribble/take people on. If he suddenly changes it and backpasses it all the time/offers no movement whatsoever, i give up.

amolbhatia50k

Thats the thing. I expected Rooney to do more, maybe he is just past it in that regard. Martial will be intersting to follow. He is young and likes to dribble/take people on. If he suddenly chnages it and backpasses it all the time/offers no kove,ent whatsoever, i give up.
He will pass it back as you have to in possession football, but I don't see him being restricted just like Depay who hasn't been restricted, he's just been below par (in the league).

rotherham_red

On bench for france against Portugal, i think he is there just because Lacazette was injured. For anyone who was dismayed that we bought him instead of lacazette should know at martial's age lacazette's record was abysmal, lacazette is 24 now and last year and year before that is the only time he has shown some good goal scoring ability. He is 4 years elder of martial and martial had a decent run last year when he scored 8 goals in quick time.
Martial is playing better than him at the same age. I hope he comes on today and shows some good touches. We will be dependent on him hugely if we are to succeed this year. Not ideal for him but rooney was similar age when he came here, so was ronaldo i hope he goes in that bracket rather than anderson and Nani bracket.

On another note, what a fecking great bench that is, fekir who starts confessed to media he would love to move to united. He will be a star and will be a great number 10 of the future. I hope we keep an eye on him. I feel he has better potential than Lacazette.
I agree, he is the real star of the Lyon show and would be the perfect player in the 4-2-3-1 that LVG wants to play this season.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Playing on the left today is our Martial! :devil:

amolbhatia50k

Bah, he's come on too late. Game mostly in France's half with Portugal chasing the equaliser.

Hoof the ball

It's a bit annoying this. It's a friendly, not a Euro qualifier, so then Portugal bring on the young Silva on only in the 85th minute and France bring Martial on at only 81st minute.

I don't see the point of playing Griezmann or some other established regular who's played countless games for France in a game that's intended to give others a chance to adapt to the French national setup. Surely it would have been more useful to bring Martial on and give him 20 mins where he can actually get the ball a few times; same with Berardo Silva for Portugal. It does nothing giving him 5 minutes.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's a bit annoying this. It's a friendly, not a Euro qualifier, so then Portugal bring on the young Silva on only in the 85th minute and France bring Martial on at only 81st minute.

I don't see the point of playing Griezmann or some other established regular who's played countless games for France in a game that's intended to give others a chance to adapt to the French national setup. Surely it would have been more useful to bring Martial on and give him 20 mins where he can actually get the ball a few times; same with Berardo Silva for Portugal. It does nothing giving him 5 minutes.
I don't know about Portugal but it makes perfect sense to start Martial so late for FrancE. There are no competitive matches up until the Euro for France, only a series of friendlies so Deschamps can't really tinker that much. Deschamps has got to play his established players as often as possible in this context.
Plus the last few results having bad for France, this win was important for the moral boost and these elements explain why he gave Martial (a player who isn't important to the team yet) so few minutes.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I bet the press have their shit stories written already waiting for an average performance. The guy is going to be under immense pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.