6.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He's by far the best as a centre forward but still offers some quality out wide due to his exceptional talent. Players like that can play across the entire front line because their set of skills makes them versatile.

Still, there is significant difference between him as a centre forward as him on the wing. Someone like Benzema or Lewandowski would probably still be decent if they were shifted out wide because they are exceptionally talented footballers but their productivity would nowhere near the same.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He's by far the best as a centre forward but still offers some quality out wide due to his exceptional talent. Players like that can play across the entire front line because their set of skills makes them versatile.

Still, there is significant difference between him as a centre forward as him on the wing. Someone like Benzema or Lewandowski would probably still be decent if they were shifted out wide because they are exceptionally talented footballers but their productivity would nowhere near the same.
I agree. The main issue is that we REALLY need his movement and holdup/linkup play as a CF if we are to continue with this posession style football. More so than we need him outwide.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Sign of a good player when he's not particularly having a good game but can pop and score/create a goal.

I do think due to his age and experience he will have a dip in form eventually, we just need to stick with him.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
His touch and composure is that of an accomplished 28 year old. His maturity is incredibly impressive. Normally teenage attacking players are all gung-ho, eager to impress and taking on too big of a task, but he looks a natural. The way he holds up the ball especially. He's not trying to turn everything into a highlight reel. He knows when to release the ball and when to try and evade the challenge. He's got a great head on his shoulders.

Smores

The problem with dropping Rooney right now is that we would be playing the even worse Memphis instead... Maybe just put Rooney on the left, its worth a try
The only issue I see with Rooney on the left is that Mata/Rooney as wide men is a bit slow.
However given our patient style of play it may not be such a bad option.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The only reason I can't give LVG too much aggro over Martial on the left is that Memphis cannot play for us with the what he has shown so far.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I agree. The main issue is that we REALLY need his movement and holdup/linkup play as a CF if we are to continue with this posession style football. More so than we need him outwide.
He's pretty much the only player in our team who can score out of nowhere with a brilliant move etc. We hoped Depay would be that player but Brugge game aside he hasn't turned up in that aspect at all and has refused to take any risks whatsoever.

Martial is a better centre forward than a winger and he's our best attacking player at the minute so we should work to utilize him in full.

Cassidy

Just think where we would be right now had me not splashed all that cash on this lad.... Dearry me

Cassidy

He's pretty much the only player in our team who can score out of nowhere with a brilliant move etc. We hoped Depay would be that player but Brugge game aside he hasn't turned up in that aspect at all and has refused to take any risks whatsoever.

Martial is a better centre forward than a winger and he's our best attacking player at the minute so we should work to utilize him in full.
I kind of disagree tbh. Hes been poor, but he has been taking risks, Ive seen him trying tricks, taking players on etc. Mainly though it hasn't been coming off and his loose touch seems to be a big hinderence to him. I don't think we can say he hasn't been taking risks, but we can definately say he has been playing poorly

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I wish we had 2 martials, we would really be flying then.

I can't wait until Memphis hits full flight as those 2 combining could be electric.

The sooner he gets into form the better IMO.

RedRevongge

There are very few players who you would watch a team just to see them play but he is one of them. Kind of like how Ronaldo, Rooney and Cantona were in the past

Adam-Utd

There are very few players who you would watch a team just to see them play but he is one of them. Kind of like how Ronaldo, Rooney and Cantona were in the past
Agreed. He's the first player I've been excited to watch since to ronaldo left. Hoping Memphis can get too that level too.

RedFish

What a Fecking goal last night. It was like Ronnie O'Sullivan potting a ball into the corner with power. He had so much to do and he made it look easy. Incredible.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
The problem with dropping Rooney right now is that we would be playing the even worse Memphis instead... Maybe just put Rooney on the left, its worth a try
Thing is, with a good talking to Memphis might stop making so many mistakes. He's dribbling the ball too much.
Rooney however is ponderous and slow. you can't teach an old dog new tricks etc.

I'd give Memphis a game after he's had a good talking to. He's a good player, he's just in need of some guidance.

Cassidy

Thing is, with a good talking to Memphis might stop making so many mistakes. He's dribbling the ball too much.
Rooney however is ponderous and slow. you can't teach an old dog new tricks etc.

I'd give Memphis a game after he's had a good talking to. He's a good player, he's just in need of some guidance.
I agree. Its not the dribbling that was the issue with him. Vs Arsenal that was just a bad attitude and lack of professionalism and down right lazyness. He has been rightfully dropped, and until the lesson has been learnt he should remain dropped.
Also TBH his first touch is probably as bad if not worse than Rooneys

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
How long is Young out for?

A Young-Herrera-Mata Combo with Martial leading the line would work for me for the majority of the season. I sweat when I think of what kind of state we would have been had we not signed this guy.

Sam

Sacrificing this boy out wide, just to fit Rooney into the team, is an absolute tragedy.

RuudTom83

Sacrificing this boy out wide, just to fit Rooney into the team, is an absolute tragedy.
I kinda agree, but i'd prefer to keep the pressure off Martial as much as possible, plus i don't expect United to win the league this season no matter who plays or what system.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
To be honest, I like the fact that we are playing him out wide (even though it might not be an intentional ploy), and this might even benefit him long term. Playing through the spine of the team carries an immense amount of responsibility, and although Martial is extremely mature for his age, no 19 year old should have to carry the burden for a club of United's stature. Let him play on the left and right wings instead of being the focal point of the attack, let him develop as a wide forward to add to his arsenal of skills as a lead striker for the future, let him make mistakes out wide (the kind that would be more heavily criticized and punished in central positions).

There's no real hurry, he has a lot of growing up to do, and doing it in a position with lower responsibility will take the load off a bit. As the lone striker he'll be the center of the opposition defense's attention, his tactical freedom will be curtailed, and we won't get to explore the extent of his versatility. Even at Monaco, he was essentially playing as a left winger for most of the time, no it's not exactly alien terrain.

Kinda like what Simeone does with his young central midfielders Óliver, Koke and Saúl. Eases the burden on them while Gabi and Tiago are still around, gives them more freedom while also accounting for match experience, but they should be ready when the experienced ones hang up their boots or change clubs. Rooney starting as the #9 isn't the ideal situation, yes, but then again he'll stink it up wherever he plays. Even the likes of Benzema and Suarez played out wide on several occasions when they were Martial's age. And Robert Lewandowski often played as a wide forward when Lucas Barrios was the main man at Dortmund.

Adam-Utd

I kinda agree, but i'd prefer to keep the pressure off Martial as much as possible, plus i don't expect United to win the league this season no matter who plays or what system.
He didn't seem to mind the pressure when scoring against Liverpool or a brace against Southampton. Sometimes players are just ready, I don't think he feels the pressure as he plays consistently.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
To be honest, I like the fact that we are playing him out wide (even though it might not be an intentional ploy), and this might even benefit him long term. Playing through the spine of the team carries an immense amount of responsibility, and although Martial is extremely mature for his age, no 19 year old should have to carry the burden for a club of United's stature. Let him play on the left and right wings instead of being the focal point of the attack, let him develop as a wide forward to add to his arsenal of skills as a lead striker for the future, let him make mistakes out wide (the kind that would be more heavily criticized and punished in central positions).

There's no real hurry, he has a lot of growing up to do, and doing it in a position with lower responsibility will take the load off a bit. As the lone striker he'll be the center of the opposition defense's attention, his tactical freedom will be curtailed, and we won't get to explore the extent of his versatility. Even at Monaco, he was essentially playing as a left winger for most of the time, no it's not exactly alien terrain.

Kinda like what Simeone does with his young central midfielders Óliver, Koke and Saúl. Eases the burden on them while Gabi and Tiago are still around, gives them more freedom while also accounting for match experience, but they should be ready when the experienced ones hang up their boots or change clubs. Rooney starting as the #9 isn't the ideal situation, yes, but then again he'll stink it up wherever he plays. Even the likes of Benzema and Suarez played out wide on several occasions when they were Martial's age. And Robert Lewandowski often played as a wide forward when Lucas Barrios was the main man at Dortmund.
Great post. Martial is so young, there is no urgency to see him as the number 9 at the moment despite how annoying and frustrating Rooney can be.

Cassidy

I agree in principle. However he is the best no9 at the club, and so he should really just play there tbh. He played outwide last season for Monaco.
If we had another top striker then I would agree, but for now, I'd rather see Rooney LW and Martial no9, we really need what he brings through the middle at the moment.

Man Utd 0:0 Man City

Scarecrow

Having a week off
They are bricking it every time he gets the ball. He just somehow gets the most out of every single situation. The difference between him and Memphis is huge, at this point.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Find off the season (regardless the price) what a player this kid is!

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He's been looking dangerous. Has a real perseverance when he's dribbling with the ball, and doesn't give up easily when he loses it. Must be a bit of a nightmare to play against him, since he's hard to contain.

Maxii

Paad
Absolutely wasted on the wing. The damage he could cause if he was up front

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Dutch commentator said that whenever Martial gets the ball he just makes things happen compared to other attackers on the pitch today.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I don't understand how he keeps hold of the ball so regularly while riding tackle after tackle. The ball seems to ricochet around and come out at his feet every time. It happens way too consistently for it to be luck.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Absolutely wasted on the wing. The damage he could cause if he was up front
He's still doing a lot of good work out on the wing, and his dribbling ability means that he's able to take players on out there and succeed, so I wouldn't say he wasted. But still, I'd much rather see him centrally ahead of Rooney. Martial's looking like a more dangerous striker than Rooney at the moment without actually even being a striker.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's just a brilliant player. Looks the likeliest to make something happen out of both teams

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It's just a relief to have someone who is the best dribbler on the pitch in most games. Since Ronaldo left and Giggs adjusted his game we really missed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.