5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy_JukeZ

I still think our team should be built around him. There's too much talent to let him get away after a poor season.
I'd disagree heavily with that.

He's not our most talented player and has shown nothing to support building an entire team around him. He had a good debut season, and a disappointing 2nd season.

For all we know, he could bounce back next season or continue with the average performances.

He was one of my favorite players last season, but he's been poor this season. It's been infuriating watching him.

Terminator

Shocking attacking tactics from us, zero support when a player is on the ball. I dont blame Martial for this crap.

GM K

Rashford is about three times stronger mentally, has a passing ability that is way less erratic than Martial's, Rashford has displayed wider variety of skills like backheels, rabonas, flick overs than Martial who seem mostly rely on his direct running and pace to get past defenders. Rashford link up play is better as he tends to release quicker passes. It was there on display in the game against Chelsea when he was linking up with Lingard. Even last season he was linking up with likes of Fellaini only for the big guy to hit the cross bar with his shot. Rashford sends in much better crosses, Martial rarely crosses and when he does it's a random kick into the penalty area. Rashford has a good long range shot on him, has hit a good free kick very recently whilst the only time I saw Martial take a long shot was once this season when he hit the post. Rashford has more agility, better balance, more determination, better understanding of what's around him. Rashford closes down opponents better, chases long balls down and has as a result scored about three goals by simply closing down the goalkeepers. That also means he is a hard worker.

I don't understand how people can say stuff like Mourinho likes to give a youngster like Rashford a chance while doesn't like Martial for no apparent reasons. The difference in quality is very clear this season. It has more to do with Rashford's stronger mentality and self belief. Martial is more talented than Rashford if pace, dribbling skills and flair are the only thing you take into account. Rashford edges Martial if the season's output is taken account. But if we look at overall set of skill both players posses, it looks like Martial has the potential to be master of one, a beast at beating players and then cutting into the penalty area while Rashford could be jack of all trades. As of now, Rashford surely looks more talented than Martial. The fact that it may or may not change in the future shouldn't be a part of a discussion that talks about their current abilities.
5 star post.

Martial is over rated.

jungledrums

5 star post.

Martial is over rated.
Rubbish.
I suppose supporting your players, especially the youngsters that have shown exceptional talent/potential, is a foreign concept to some of you? Excuse my conceit, but it is utterly fecking disgraceful the fickleness of some modern football fans.

GM K

Martial has had a poor season. Why he has had it and whether or not he will bounce back next season, are up for debates.

Personally, I think he is over rated mainly because he is very predictable and seems to lack high football IQ. Apart from running at players, cutting to the right and shooting, I struggle to see any other thing he has in his locker.

But he can improve if he has the right attitude and if he gets support from his manager.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Rubbish.
I suppose supporting your players, especially the youngsters that have shown exceptional talent/potential, is a foreign concept to some of you? Excuse my conceit, but it is utterly fecking disgraceful the fickleness of some modern football fans.
I am fully with you. I doubt anyone is overrating Martial but he's obviously an extremely talented player. Rashford found some form now but earlier in the season people said he'll never make it. Fickle

arnie_ni

He wasn't great but it's almost impossible to play as a wide attacker when your fullback fecking refuses to keep up with you, never mind attempt to overlap. Disgraceful lack of attacking ambition from Darmian tonight.
That comes from the manager

Litch

I like Martial a lot and put him in the Liverpool or City team and you'd then see his potential more. Ive seen enough even this season that at times he's unplayable against good FB. Like said hes so isolated at times that he's often expected to beat 2 players every time.

Jose knows this, it's just once the injuries started to stack up, we had to scarfice something and basically the way we've been playing changed to a more defensive style. Lets not forget that we weren't complaining about how many chances we were creating, just not taking them. That was far from negative football....

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He didn't have the best game yesterday, but he has recently demonstrated a willingness to work harder for the team. I can forgive poor form or poor performances, but I can't excuse laziness or an unwillingness to do what's in the best interest of the team. I hope he continues with this attitude, and when his form picks up, which it will, we will have a player worthy of the club again.

Ole90+3

He didn't have the best game yesterday, but he has recently demonstrated a willingness to work harder for the team. I can forgive poor form or poor performances, but I can't excuse laziness or an unwillingness to do what's in the best interest of the team. I hope he continues with this attitude, and when his form picks up, which it will, we will have a player worthy of the club again.
My thoughts exactly. Well said.

Because of Martial's direct nature, he is isolated for too many times due to our other attacking threats not able to keep up with him, or being dragged too deep by tracking the oppositions' fullbacks. Martial is such a wonderful player to watch when he has options around him to link up with. Here's hoping that a couple of good attacking players in the summer coming in will help bring the best out of Martial.

cheeky_backheel

Rubbish.
I am all for giving everyone a fair chance to prove themselves or recover from a slump but the notion that his talent should earn him additional leeway is nonsense.

He is a professional football player and gets paid for his services. If he is not performing up to expectation and/or remuneration, the customers and employer reserve the right to be dissatisfied and criticize.

This is business - despite the color, we are not the Red Cross and he is not a volunteer worker.

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense
I am all for giving everyone a fair chance to prove themselves or recover from a slump but the notion that his talent should earn him additional leeway is nonsense.

He is a professional football player and gets paid for his services. If he is not performing up to expectation and/or remuneration, the customers and employer reserve the right to be dissatisfied and criticize.

This is business - despite the color, we are not the Red Cross and he is not a volunteer worker.
TBF all our attackers are professional football players, but except Ibra no one has been consistent enough. Why are other less talented players getting more leeway when they have done feck all for us this season? The employer doesn't have the right to criticize only certain employees in public when most of the employees have been performing poorly. He is a human being who has feelings like all of us, even he goes through ups and downs in life. Get it? A human being like you and me, not some robot who works 9 to 5 everyday. You don't criticize and ask a talented "employee" to stop working for few days just because he is suffering from low confidence and poor form.

cheeky_backheel

TBF all our attackers are professional football players, but except Ibra no one has been consistent enough. Why are other less talented players getting more leeway when they have done feck all for us this season? The employer doesn't have the right to criticize only certain employees in public when most of the employees have been performing poorly. He is a human being who has feelings like all of us, even he goes through ups and downs in life. Get it? A human being like you and me, not some robot who works 9 to 5 everyday. You don't criticize and ask a talented "employee" to stop working for few days just because he is suffering from low confidence and poor form.
To who much is given .............

GM K

Rubbish.
Saying a player is over rated does not mean you don't support him and other youngsters in the club. It also does not mean you don't believe such a player can become great in the future. But I guess that is too complex for you to grasp, so go on, keep rambling.

LoveFootball

He deserves to play for a better manager who values his attacking abilities more than his defensive one. He's still young and has to be coached well to develop his talent, not being asked to help defensively 90% of the time he's on the pitch.

jungledrums

Saying a player is over rated does not mean you don't support him and other youngsters in the club. It also does not mean you don't believe such a player can become great in the future. But I guess that is too complex for you to grasp, so go on, keep rambling.
Did I hit a nerve buddy? :lol:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He deserves to play for a better manager who values his attacking abilities more than his defensive one. He's still young and has to be coached well to develop his talent, not being asked to help defensively 90% of the time he's on the pitch.
Yep, we saw how Hazard struggled being much further away from goal.

Sitting in your own box and expecting people to counter attack across the whole pitch regularly is not realistic.

We need to win the ball back higher up the pitch and let our attacking players use their stamina for attacking, not defending.

Terminator

Always someone else's fault.
But not the coaching teams fault? All our attacking players look clueless and disjointed and play like they are complete strangers. Pathetic to see that the team cant even do the basics right.

Terminator

Credit to Reddit & GIFLord, he had some moments of brilliance. The talent is there but he can be really frustrating.
Its quite infuriating watching the first clip, he tries to beat 1 or 2 players and no one even makes an effort to link play with him. They are just jogging around aimlessly.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
That first clip epitomises what Martial has to overcome every game. The same 3 positions cover him every time. They need more to worry about across the pitch to give him space.

Those that expect him to make something from these situations are playing too much Fifa. There's not another player in our squad that would have got as far as he did.

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense
That first clip epitomises what Martial has to overcome every game. The same 3 positions cover him every time. They need more to worry about across the pitch to give him space.

Those that expect him to make something from these situations are playing too much Fifa. There's not another player in our squad that would have got as far as he did.
But but Lingard works hard and puts in a shift ( read as works hard on shit passing ) so he deserves to be picked every game. Martial is just over-rated and doesn't do anything in the matches he is given chances in.

SARCASM

LoveFootball

Yep, we saw how Hazard struggled being much further away from goal.

Sitting in your own box and expecting people to counter attack across the whole pitch regularly is not realistic.

We need to win the ball back higher up the pitch and let our attacking players use their stamina for attacking, not defending.
Yeah, totally agree!
People are quick to blame the players ignoring that the system is the main problem in this team! Apart from Ibra, it seems that every attacking player is struggling, or Lingard and Fellani who seems to only impress the manager because they work hard, no player is playing at his true level! It's not a surprise players like Di Maria, Ronaldo and Hazard gone on another level after being liberated from the influence of the man!

If Martial leaves, I am confident he'll become a big star for his new team!

ash_86

No doubt he will do better in a attack minded team. Key for Jose next season would be to push his players further up the pitch and win the ball aggressively. The attacking play will be sorted out once this happens.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah, totally agree!
People are quick to blame the players ignoring that the system is the main problem in this team! Apart from Ibra, it seems that every attacking player is struggling, or Lingard and Fellani who seems to only impress the manager because they work hard, no player is playing at his true level! It's not a surprise players like Di Maria, Ronaldo and Hazard gone on another level after being liberated from the influence of the man!

If Martial leaves, I am confident he'll become a big star for his new team!
No doubt he will do better in a attack minded team. Key for Jose next season would be to push his players further up the pitch and win the ball aggressively. The attacking play will be sorted out once this happens.
The annoying thing is all our best performances have come with high pressing.

Look how we beat Chelsea, we didn't give them a chance to breathe!

Jib

Deschamps has suggested that Martial should leave the club because he needs to play and regain his confidence ( Kingsley Coman too ).

Right now, he isn't good enough to be called with the french NT but his potential his huge.

gr3yham3

So true, and this happens in a lot of games that I watch Martial play. He has to contend with at least 2 defenders at one go. It's funny how none of the players actually try to make a supporting run near Martial for him to pass to or draw a defender away so he can be 1v1 against an opponent. I think our persistent LB problem this season also is a main reason for this. On the right, we usually have Valencia consistently providing width and passing options. On the left, whoever in playing LB usually sits back and Martial seldom has anyone making overlapping runs. Put a LB like Evra there and Martial will be twice as effective. A regular 'partner-in-crime' will also help loads - our constant changing of LBs this season has not helped at all.

Let's hope Jose sees this and rectifies it next season, and also realises that we have a real gem in Martial. On his game, he is unstoppable and will score important goals. He just needs to sort out any problems he still has outside the pitch, and keep working hard.

mu4c_20le

It's not just a business, otherwise Ed Woodward or the Glazers would be running the team, not SAF/Mourinho. Not even in a video game would you drop or sell someone for just one mediocre season, and it's his second season in a new and tougher league, under a different manager in a different system.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Credit to Reddit & GIFLord, he had some moments of brilliance. The talent is there but he can be really frustrating.

First wasn't good. He got tied up in what he wanted to do and it came to life in his legs. Was never really in control of what was happening.

Second shows something more. More pass and runs is what's needed, in general, but specially from him.

cheeky_backheel

It's not just a business, otherwise Ed Woodward or the Glazers would be running the team, not SAF/Mourinho. Not even in a video game would you drop or sell someone for just one mediocre season, and it's his second season in a new and tougher league, under a different manager in a different system.
It is business cos if Mourinho doesnt deliver the results expected from him within a certain time frame, like LvG and Moyes, he will be fired.

Depay, despite his intial showings was sold after on one and a half seasons at the club. Schneiderlin was sold within a similar time fram. So why should Martial be excused cos he has talent?

Should the club keep on paying him indefinitely hoping he comes through when he is good and ready? I definitely hope not. It his on him to show enough and convince the manager that he deserves to stay on at the club, but if he fails to do so, even if he was more talented, he should be moved on.

I dont care how much talent you have if you cannot produce on the pitch. There a lot of less talented players that make up for it with their effort and commitment.

acnumber9

It's true that our left back is useless at providing support but Martial also makes himself easier to mark. He stands with his back to goal to receive the ball before turning and making his runs. He's almost always stationary when he gets the ball. Compare him to Rashford in the same position and see the difference.

acnumber9

But but Lingard works hard and puts in a shift ( read as works hard on shit passing ) so he deserves to be picked every game. Martial is just over-rated and doesn't do anything in the matches he is given chances in.

SARCASM
Are we pretending that Martial hasn't played more games than Lingard this season?

Toad

Lads got rapid acceleration, need to do what he does best - Run it to the final third,square up with the full back, knock it past him, leg it after the ball and lay it in a plate for who ever is in the box. We have seen it many times, kind of like a Moyes tactic the more I think of it :nervous:

Footyislife

Personally I'd build a team with Martial Rashford and Griezman as forwards with Mkhi as the advanced playmaker and Pogba as the B2B and Herrera holding. We'd be dominant for the next half decade.

But you should also buy depth for Martial and Rashford as young players are inconsistent and the likes of Rooney, Young, and Lingard aren't good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.