Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobbs

He should not be played as a winger.

In any case he should not start. But having heard the news about Mikhi's injury, I would use Young.
It's been three games!

You don't drop players everytime they have a few quiet games. The team would be forever changing.

rotherham_red

Other than the goal, was he good in the first half?
Only saw the last 15 mins of the first half but he looked more like his usual self. Two lovely little turns and he led a counter which Giroud cocked up

I think he's been subbed off at HT too, so that is my interest in this match finished.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Only saw the last 15 mins of the first half but he looked more like his usual self. Two lovely little turns and he led a counter which Giroud cocked up

I think he's been subbed off at HT too, so that is my interest in this match finished.
Pogba's still on the pitch man :smirk:

Chip

Lovely to see him grab his first goal for France. That's going to do wonders for his confidence.

FujiVice

He had a bit of a soul destroying Euros. He needed this game and goal. Hope he realises how good he really is after tonight. He's capable of tearing teams to pieces on his day. He's a huge player for us.

sportsczy

Supports
Real Madrid
Scored and played hard. His passing wasn't very good... made a lot of bad passes.

Still is lacking sharpness.

LLMU

He is awfully off form currently. But still one of the brightest prospects in the world. Great to hear that he scored his first goal for France.

3KDré

Needs to continue playing well for France. If he doesn't Coman/Dembele/Fekir/Payet could play instead of him. Now I think about it France have three of the best young wingers in the world. How did they not win the Euros?

stu_1992

Yup, nice to see he got his first goal. Pretty good too. Hopefully he can pick up confidence from this.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Nice taken goal, but he's still reluctant to take his man on and rather pass it back. Had a few messy passes here and there but at least his confidence grew as the game went on and with another good game for France(hopefully) he gains more confidences where he can finally start taking on his men once again.

Since it's with the national team that his slump begun and lost his confidence, it's only fitting he regains it and get back on track with them. I feel like he's one good game away from waking up completely. Hopefully things continue positively for him with France and get him running again.

RedDevil@84

Hope the goal will boost his form in the league. If we can get Martial, Zlatan to start scoring regularly with Rooney, Mata, Miki chipping every now and then, it is going to be awesome.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Didier Deschamps gives his reasons for his poor form at the Euros and the start of the season. Puts it down purely to exhaustion. People don't realise he plays an incredible amount of games at a high level for a 19/20 year old because we had no choice.
At his age, Fergie was always giving Ronaldo time off and rotating him.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Us being spoilt for options now will benefit Martial in the long run. No 19 year old new to the league should have to shoulder the entire responsibility for the attack in a team like Manchester United. Last year the opponents just double marked Martial, and job was a good'un.

No luck with that tactic this year though since they also have to devote attention to Zlatan, Mkhi and Pogba.

Dobbs

Didier Deschamps gives his reasons for his poor form at the Euros and the start of the season. Puts it down purely to exhaustion. People don't realise he plays an incredible amount of games at a high level for a 19/20 year old because we had no choice.
At his age, Fergie was always giving Ronaldo time off and rotating him.
Puts it down to exhaustion and then plays him? I'm struggling to see the logic here.

I also can't believe he's that tired. How many games has Martial played over the last two months?

It's a part of modern football that we can't accept a players just had a quiet few games. There's always got to be a reason.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He meant exhaustion for the euros, where martial barely played 50 minutes. It's certainly a plausible thought, he did arrive to the French camp with (or picked up during training) an injury right before the Euros, so there is also that.

pascell

Puts it down to exhaustion and then plays him? I'm struggling to see the logic here.

I also can't believe he's that tired. How many games has Martial played over the last two months?

It's a part of modern football that we can't accept a players just had a quiet few games. There's always got to be a reason.
He played him for 45 minutes, every footballer needs minutes to gain sharpness and confidence when in a bad spell.

The better question is, how many games has he played in the last 12 months and how much time has he had off to recuperate and rest?

Good man managers let their players know face to face if they're in a bad spell, not slapping it all over the press hanging them out to dry. The French players gained enough bad press over the course of the euros, they don't need anymore going into a qualifying tournament.

Martials a young man and still has a lot to learn, he knows that and he'll no doubt know when he's played a bad game. I'm more than sure he'll be firing on all cylinders soon enough, he's got too much talent to be a bad spell too long.

WhoDaGOAT

He's played 71 (59 starts) times for club and country over the past 13 months. Not to mention pre-season friendlies.

That is not good for a 19/20 year old.

Dobbs

He's played 71 (59 starts) times for club and country over the past 13 months. Not to mention pre-season friendlies.

That is not good for a 19/20 year old.
So why is he featuring in an international friendly? That was my point, Deschamps complains about fatigue but then adds more minutes to his season.

Personally I think a footballer of any age should be playing at least one full game a week. One game a week for 13 months would be 56 apps. His 59 starts is about right.

Last edited:

WhoDaGOAT

So why is he featuring in an international friendly? That was my point, Deschamps complains about fatigue but then adds more minutes to his season.

Personally I think a footballer of any age should be playing at least one full game a week. One game a week for 13 months would be 52 apps. His 59 starts is about right.
You have no scientific evidence to back up your personal belief. At 19/20, the body is not yet fully developed. Rooney is paying for his early exposure now.

Dobbs

You have no scientific evidence to back up your personal belief. At 19/20, the body is not yet fully developed. Rooney is paying for his early exposure now.
Hence me saying "Personally I think..." I didn't realise we had to back up opinions with scientific evidence. Presumably you have the scientifically proved data that confirms 59 starts in 13 months is too much for Martial.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Martial had a solid year, he's been off form for what 2/3 weeks? that's nothing. He's just probably a bit depressed about the problems with his Ex and child. That can throw you off your mental state and effect your perfomances. Hopefully once that is fixed he will be able to cocentrate, eat/sleep/train properly.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
The exhaustion excuse is quite obviously nonsense. Martial didn't really overplay last year, the amount of games he played last year isn't anything otherworldly for a 19-20 years old or anything. He just lost some confidence in the Euro(due to Deshamp managing him poorly) and it has stretched up to this season.

Hopefully with his goal last game, he's started regaining confidence and ready to get on with his business like last year. The way Martial plays and what made him a beloved player to us requires him(the player) to be confident. He usually takes on his man and beat them with tricks(quick feet) or pace but without confidence he hesitate and isn't willing to take on his man which make it seem as if he isn't much into games lately.

Add to that with his passing being a bit erratic lately due to being not quite as sharp and we have the Martial of the past 3 weeks. The most important thing is for him to gain his confidence back in order to finally once again see him take on his man, and it'll also help get him sharp.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He just lost some confidence in the Euro(due to Deshamp managing him poorly) and it has stretched up to this season.
He played like that during the warmup games and in training.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Huh? I don't see how what you said has any relevance on what I just wrote.

My point is Deschamp managed Martial poorly at the Euro(You don't just freeze your player after a poor half of football where the entire team wasn't clicking).

And as far as I remember, I saw Martial doing fine in pre Euro games with France then got injured just before the tournament, I think he missed the latest warm up games just before the Euro(If I remember right) and when he came back he was a bit off. Then happened that soul destroying half of football he had at the Euro capped by Deschamp freezing him out completely after that to complete the shattering of his confidence.

Womp

idiot
Any reports in France as to why his form has done a complete 360? He's never been the most expressive of emotions but he genuinely looks knackered and frustrated when he's played for us this season, body language seems completely off.

LouisDanGaal

Huh? I don't see how what you said has any relevance on what I just wrote.

My point is Deschamp managed Martial poorly at the Euro(You don't just freeze your player after a poor half of football where the entire team wasn't clicking).

And as far as I remember, I saw Martial doing fine in pre Euro games with France then got injured just before the tournament, I think he missed the latest warm up games just before the Euro(If I remember right) and when he came back he was a bit off. Then happened that soul destroying half of football he had at the Euro capped by Deschamp freezing him out completely after that to complete the shattering of his confidence.
Martial is hardly a priority player for France though, he isn't on merit in the first 11. They may not have been clicking but they were unlucky not to win the whole competition, it took a random screamer from a bang average player to finally beat them.

I actually think Deschamps comments are right on the mark, he has to be knackered, before last season he wasn't a full starter for Monaco until right at the end or a france international. Add on all the games he had with us and France and just the exhaustion of competing, or being at the euros, Fa cup final, all that kind of thing, I say after the derby give him a couple of weeks off.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Any reports in France as to why his form has done a complete 360? He's never been the most expressive of emotions but he genuinely looks knackered and frustrated when he's played for us this season, body language seems completely off.
Not really, he joined the team with a thigh injury and looked tired in training with France. Also he has personal problems at 20 years old, people forget that he is only 20.

Edit: But he has been joyful too, his morale was never broken.

3KDré

71 games for a 20 year old with training and the personal problems he has. Add to that he's had like 2 weeks holiday the entire year. He needs some time off.

Status
Not open for further replies.