Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoking_Owl

Account closed by request: 23/11/17
Last night, he looked like Sterling during most of last season/at the Euros, without the running off the ball that Sterling provided during his bad spells.

Id expect Martial to start v City though. Purely because he's fast and will be needed on the counter to exploit Guardiola's high line. Mourinho said after the game that Rashford currently isn't ready to play in one of the wide positions. He said that because presumably because he doesn't think he has the discipline or concentration to trust him defensively for 90 mins. If he thinks that now, I'd be very surprised if he started against City there.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Where are you getting those numbers from, because based on the minutes played from Squawka he is #252 in the top 5 leagues in Europe. Don't forget he was injured for a while last season.

I do think you are right that he didn't have enough time to recuperate from a long season, even more so for his age. Just remember what LVG said: young players are inconsistent. He'll get back to his top form eventually, it will just take time, and there are enough players that can replace him for a while since he isn't the only spark in our attack anymore.
Remember it being discussed in his former thread. Played something like 64 games for club and country. Not sure if I'm right.

OohAahMartial

definitely has personal problems with the ex. she made a post on instagram today with just martial's child with the caption ''Mine'' ,
I thought over first few games it was just lack of match fitness and sharpness due to a lack of preseason but I know how these domestic issues can feck with your head, and it might be better to take him out of the spotlight for a while to protect him, and try out unburdened and hungry players instead.

iKeano

He arrived like a Scholesy - no drama.
Looks like he's had a summer of Giggs-style bed-hopping.
I don't care what a man does in his personal life, but if it's having an impact on his finished product on the pitch, then it's time for José to do some Fergie-style man management.
Genuinely worried for Martial, just looks like he's somewhere else entirely.

Dinghy

I think this is perhaps overstated. Against a parked bus, there's no space in behind. He had to receive the ball at feet yesterday, and his movement to come inside and play one-twos is normally fantastic. You're probably right, that it'd be nice to see him get in behind more, but I wouldn't say his off the ball movement is "non-existent".
It might be overstated but I can barely remember seeing him go on a proper good run without the ball. It's just weird that a pacy striker with the talent he's got hasn't got better off the ball-movement. He definitely have to improve that part of his game.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He seems not fully integrated into the attack, which is something Mourinho and staff will have surely noticed and will work on with him in training. As opposed to Rashford who was instantly impactful when he came on. This is more so a matter of a slight coaching adjustment than Martial's attitude or ability, which based on 17 goals from last year are clearly there.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
I don't think it helps that Martial is the only player with pace in our attack. There is no danger of the likes of Rooney, Mata or Ibra taking on a defender so the opposition are able to stand off these players but when it comes to Martial they know there is danger so he is often closed down quickly and doubled up on over on that left wing. If we had more pace on the other flank, ie Rashford then I think it would drag opposition defenders out of position and create more space for our attackers and also help improve Martial's game.

I would really like to see Martial and Rashford either side of Ibra.

Other than that, he does appear somewhat unhappy in himself. In videos and pictures he is usually on his own while the rest of the team are laughing and joking together. I hope him losing his shirt number to Ibra hasn't impacted him negatively but I do feel he likes to be the star of the show, last season he was that star and now he is a long way down the pecking order so his ego has probably taken a knock.

Last edited:

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Needs dropping from the LW, and be played as the striker in the EL and League Cup to get his confidence back.
I wouldn't drop him against City, he's our fastest attacker and will be much needed on the break. I would have understood dropping him against Hull though. Some of his best performances last season came in the big games and hopefully that continues vs City, the boy needs a goal badly.

In Rainbows

I wouldn't drop him against City, he's our fastest attacker and will be much needed on the break. I would have understood dropping him against Hull though. Some of his best performances last season came in the big games.
It's not only that, but he also has the quick feet and technical ability to retain possession. We'll need that ability seeing as Pep's teams are great at pressing to win the ball back.

Deleted member 101472

Putting his poor start down to his off field issues , we can't expect him or anyone for that matter to be immune to what goes on outside of the club . He's young , a multimillionaire and has a kid with a woman ( his wife I believe ? ) who currently hates him .

criticalanalysis

Lost of 'issues' really but on the pitch two main things stand out for me:

1) His non existent off the ball movement.

2) He's not an orthodox left winger and coupled with Ibra taking all the central areas (i.e he doesn't run the channels/float out wide to draw defenders away/make space), there's little fluidity and interchanging, which helps players like Martial.

Oh and Rooney taking up space.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not worried about him for the long term but a 20 year old having a disapponting half season would hardly be totally unexpected. And if he does you just have to accept that these things happen.

However the things I'd like to see from him regardless, are intensity, energy and movement. Someone with his pace and ability really shouldnt be static and waiting for the game to come to him. See sterling yesterday or Rashford the day before. Always moving, always making angles and generally buzzing. If Martial does that then I'm happy. Form and end product will comr and go in his younger years.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
2 months ago I predicted that he will have a slow start to the season. Last season was exceptional and now it needs time. Luckily for him, he does not have amazing competition for his place

ferguson2

For his age he had a massive burden to carry last season. Through the summer he wasn't at his best at the Euros, still could not take a long summer break. Then he has/had problems in private live and the roumors about being unhappy about not given number nine. Plus his english still isn't good enough.

All these things have to be taken into account and have an influence on the performance.

He's clearly not happy atm. Could be that he's unhappy with himself or that there are now others who are stealing him the show. Nevertheless Mourinho starting him is a good thing because I think sooner or later he will start finding his form again.

Litch

Still quality but needs to find his came soon as there are competition for places as the subs proved yesterday.

Adisa

Another thing is that he's receiving the ball in very deep positions. usually around the half way line. That's just too far away from goal.

Adisa

Ferdinand
“Anthony Martial, for me, has been disappointing,” Ferdinand told BT Sport.

“He looks like someone who needs a rest. He looks a bit deflated. He is young. Take him out and let him sit and watch. Show him videos of last season [and] what he was doing.”

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Anthony Martial had two bright spells for Manchester United last season. The first spell was when he burst into the scene playing as a striker, continuing his exuberance from Monaco where he scored 8 goals in his last 12 league appearances. At Monaco, it was part of Martial's style of play to go to the left channel to gather momentum towards the goal, with perhaps one of the most notable examples being his game against Valencia in the Champions League Qualifying draw.
3:54 4:48 5:00 5:10 5:20 6:13 6:20. Similarly, at Man Utd, when playing as a striker he often spent a considerable amount of time going to the left, and his goals against Liverpool, "2nd goal vs Southampton, Ipswhich, Wolfsburg were somewhat similar finishes. Given that Memphis is a left forward, that likes to go into central areas in the pursuit of goals, as he relies on his off the ball movement, it meant in theory he could interchange with Martial, and we certainly saw glimpses of the chemistry between the two. As exemplified by 6:14 and Martial's goal vs Ipswhich. However, the overwhelming justification as to why we didn't see that materialize is that Memphis' role wasn't to be a left forward, but rather to provide speed and creativity from the flank.

The second spell was when we changed to a 4-1-4-1 formation, where Martial was effectively playing as a left forward. In contrast, to the hug line touching role he was playing in the 4-2-3-1, where his task was to provide speed and creativity from the flanks by taking opposition out of the game by utilizing his dribbling ability, as LVG is reliant on individual brilliance, width and speed, a role he similarly gave to the likes of Ribery, Robben, Marc Overmars and Findi George. It's also particularly prominent that by this time and onwards, Rashford was predominantly included in the starting berth. Rashford, like Martial has a tendency to drift into wide areas, which is understandable given he was only given game time as a striker following the injury of Demetri Mitchell, the star player of the U18s at the time, as before that he was quite often playing on the left. Subsequently, the two formed a promising partnership as they dovetailed with each other, as Martial spent less time hugging the touchline and less time dribbling, as he put a larger emphasis on being efficient, joining Rashford as the goal scoring threat, and this was noticeable with some goals where he ghosted past the RB and RCB. Everton, Leicester and West Ham are the three teams that spring into mind immediately, but I could easily be forgetting another.

Martial's heat map against Everton playing as a left forward is exemplified by:

Now look how he's not only deeper, but too wide for my liking. As illustrated by:

Adisa

Yep. He's obviously struggling with the current set up. He gets the ball very deep in contested areas with no option but to play short passes between himself, Shaw and Rooney. He also has a lot of defensive responsibility.
I don't know if things will change. Because Mourinho likes winning the ball in deep areas and wants a lot of cover for his fullbacks.
It's clearly not working.

marlowe78

He looked reluctant to take defenders on, which was very disappointing. He looked okay, not great, but okay for the first couple of games.

Besides his personal issues, I don't know if Martial is unhappy with how the attention has shifted to Ibra. He isn't flamboyant but he seems to thrive when the focus is on him during the game and the team is relying greatly on him to make things happen. He doesn't seem to like a secondary role.

Anyway, early days yet.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
We need to
Yep. He's obviously struggling with the current set up. He gets the ball very deep in contested areas with no option but to play short passes between himself, Shaw and Rooney. He also has a lot of defensive responsibility.
I don't know if things will change. Because Mourinho likes winning the ball in deep areas and wants a lot of cover for his fullbacks.
It's clearly not working.
I probably should've elaborated a tad bit further, but duty called (me taking a dump)
Kidding!
The point I was trying to get with the interchanging references, is that he needs to be playing in a fluid system. If you play Martial as a striker and instruct him to stay in the box, his performance will invariably be disproportionate to when you allow him as a striker to drag defenses ragged, and gather momentum by going into wide areas once the opportunity presents itself. Similarly, it's counter-productive to have Martial playing more as a wide midfielder/winger instead of an inside forward. I believe the plan is to be play Martial as an inside forward, but with Zlatan, Mata and Rooney all in the starting berth at once, it was always going to have ramifications on the single pace outlet from an attacking perspective. Something similar happened to Memphis last season, where we became lopsided, and ultimately predictable. Having Martial and Rashford in close proximity with one another would all but surely mean that Martial would be reinvigorated as their style of play suits one another tremendously.

The way I see it, Jose is creating a side with a similar, (but by no means completely identical) personnel to that of Jupp Heynckes' Bayern Munich. By way of illustration, "We have number 10s, we don't have what I call a second midfield player, who is strong enough, powerful enough, but has creativity and scores goals, Lampard, Scholes, Gerrrard - the second player who sometimes scores more than the number 10 but defends like a number six. They're difficult to find. These three unbelievable players represent that." - Jose Mourinho when describing Pogba. In this way, there are parallels between Pogba and what would've been inspected from Schweinsteiger in his prime years. Fellaini is comfortably the more physical, and combative option than Carrick , Schneiderlin, and Herrera respectively. Javi Martinez, like Fellaini was unequivocally the most physical midfield option, he too is insurmountable in the air, and like Fellaini, Martinez was predominantly utilized in a different role under his previous manager. Martinez was mostly used as a CB by Biesla in the 11/12 season even though he's shown he's more than capable of playing as that midfield destroy, as was evident for Spain when they won the Euro U21 Championship. Likewise with Fellaini, he's played more advanced roles at United, under both Moyes and LVG, whether that's a box to box role, a number ten, or even in the striker position. Even though, Fellaini himself believes he's most effective as the holding midfielder. Furthermore, we have Rooney ahead of Fellaini and Pogba, and as Jose hinted, he'll be judged on his goal contributions and not dropping deep and pinging passes and what not. As you know, Jose said "maybe he's not a striker any more. Maybe he is not a No 9 anymore but he will never, with me, be a No.6. He will never be 50 metres from the goal. For me he will be a No 9 or a No 10 or a nine-and-a-half, but with me he will never be a No 6 or even a No 8." He's essentially has the role of a shadow striker, like Jari Litmanen had for Ajax in the past under LVG. His job is to be e a goal threat threat alongside Zlatan. Similarly, Muller's incredible movement meant he had the role of being a no.10 with the job to be a goal threat, rather than a traditional play maker. A direct, goal scoring wide player like Martial, and then a play maker on the opposite side in Mkhitaryan, as was Ribery for Bayern Munich.

Whilst acknowledging it could be conjecture, but the skeptical side in me, believes me that Mata has only been playing as a result of mitigating factors with 1. Lingard getting injured in the Community Shield tie against Leicester, and even more so, considering in preseason Mata was seemingly competing with Rooney, as Mkhitaryan was the one competing with Lingard. 2. Jose tends to have relatively quick players positioned on the right, with the most recent examples being Willian, Cuadrado, Salah and Di Maria. 3. Public scrutiny due to his history with Mata. 4. I'm confident Jose knows that Zlatan thrives with pace around him, and he certainly had that with Di Maria, Lucas Moura, and Matudi making runs from the left channel, but even Cavani who constantly makes runs in behind the defence.

I'd like to see this sooner than later, even though my preferred system is a 4-3-3 with the point downward. In any case:
Zlatan
Martial(Robben) Rashford (Muller)Mkhitaryan (Ribery)

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Is it just me that thinks Martial has lost a lot of weight? His upper body looks so much thinner than last year.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Ferdinand
If only Ferdinand was this truthful in his analysis about all our players but that's only a dream at this point :rolleyes:

Anyways, seems like Martial still hasn't kicked on and I'm still of the idea he just need a good performance to get him started. He should be fit by now and getting in the groove. He also might be in danger of losing his place and with the competition we have it isn't quite a good idea to let ones spot slip to someone else otherwise you find yourself on the bench for quite a while and risk losing the starting place(see Smalling).

I still see this as a case of inconsistency, it just happened he started poorly so far but I'm extremely confident he'll kick on. I just hope it happens sooner rather than later because it might be a bit late by then. He still has a bit of time given I see Mou still starting him for a while and that should be plenty enough time for him to show his real stuff. Mourinho seems to be of the idea that Martial is still unfit and need more time(well that was a week or 2 ago).

HoopsMcCann

If anybody is selling their Anthony Martial stock I'll buy it all.

Slow start but he'll kick on soon enough.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
You have to wonder whether issues in his personal life are impacting him on the pitch.

His confidence may also have been knocked by his non-starter of a Euro 2016 campaign.

He's languid character at the best of times, but when it's not coming off for him, he tends to look a bit disinterested.

Barely made an imprint on the game against Hull and I don't think he could have any complaints if he missed out against City. That said, I think José will keep faith.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
@Rasendori:

Interesting point about Jupp Heynches Bayern team in relation to Mourinho. Hopefully he is trying to emulate that team because it was something else.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Enough with the personal life issues talks, it just hasn't clicked for him yet and he's having a slow start. He'll likely get back on track with personal life issues or not.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Enough with the personal life issues talks, it just hasn't clicked for him yet and he's having a slow start. He'll likely get back on track with personal life issues or not.
I'm sure this is a natural lull in a young player's progression, but all the extra fluff and nonsense can't have been ideal.

As it happens, I think his confidence may have been rattled by the Euros. From the outside looking in, Deschamps really underused him.

kidbob

A big thing for me is that he be coached to really attack from that wing when the balls on the right. When Rooney was in a position to cut it back Martial was a little static instead of really forcing himself in front of the defender like Ronaldo would've. To be honest his play in general has been a bit passive so far this season. I doubt Jose would being telling him not to dribble because it's one of his best attributes. Hopefully it's just a confidence thing.

3KDré

Just watched the large majority of the video above. It must be his personal issues. He looks lethargic and disinterested- as if his mind is elsewhere. Last year he looked energetic every time he got onto the ball and lightning quick and right now it feels like he never really gets out of second gear. Might need a word or two, which is fair enough. He is 20 and going through shit that people much older than him would not be able to cope with well.
Also I don't think he's lost weight @Jacky Quacky I think it's because of the style of the new shirt. It seems a bit looser than last year's.

Two more observations from the video:
  1. Martial handed so many chances on a silver platter for some of our players yet they still missed :lol:.
  2. Our third kit was a thing of fecking beauty.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I'm sure this is a natural lull in a young player's progression, but all the extra fluff and nonsense can't have been ideal.

As it happens, I think his confidence may have been rattled by the Euros. From the outside looking in, Deschamps really underused him.
yeah, the Euro have most to due about his confidence. He came out of last season in brilliant form but had a poor Euro with Deschamp freezing him out completely after a poor half of football. Stuff like that knock ones confidence. He hasn't been the same since then.

He's had these problem with his misus since last year and he still managed to have a superb end to his season, so I don't see how these noises with his ex are the real issues when they didn't affect him at the back end of last season. The Euros on the other hand actually knocked his confidence a bit with how things unfolded.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
yeah, the Euro have most to due about his confidence. He came out of last season in brilliant form but had a poor Euro with Deschamp freezing him out completely after a poor half of football. Stuff like that knock ones confidence. He hasn't been the same since then.

He's had these problem with his misus since last year and he still managed to have a superb end to his season, so I don't see how these noises with his ex are the real issues when they didn't affect him at the back end of last season. The Euros on the other hand actually knocked his confidence a bit with how things unfolded.
Deschamps treated Martial very strangely. As you say, he ostracized him for one poor half, but turned to him for a rescue act as soon as the final went tits up.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
There's nothing wrong with him. Hopefully he starts vs City. His pace and directness could cause them a whole load of trouble on the counter.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Another thing is that he's receiving the ball in very deep positions. usually around the half way line. That's just too far away from goal.
Yeah, he comes too deep and the defender is stuck to him like glue. He needs to learn to be a bit more patient, keep his width and trust the midfield will find him the ball. Unfortunately we seem to use the right flank more recently, but that might be because Valencia is in good form.

Eddy_JukeZ

I really hope we see an improvement in his movement this season. Would make it much harder to defend against him. He's too static at times.

I think he'll have a good game vs City though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I wonder if he's struggling not playing with Rashford. They combined really well especially towards the end of the season.

One thing I noticed against Hull was he wasn't holding the width. He was pushing more and more into the box, but he needed to stay wide and get the ball into feet.

Just needs a bit of guidance I think, he looks frustrated but 1 goal and he will be happy I am sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.