Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Yeah he got a chance but he blew it, now he's nowhere to be seen again.
Did't he start a game before that and score 2? I think he'll likely feature over xmas. Wouldn't surprise me if Mourinho doesn't fancy him in away games atm

Janson

Yeah he did but he was bad again in his last game. He scored vs Stoke as well but then he disappeared. It could be the case that he will feature over xmas, but I don't think it's likely.
Did't he start a game before that and score 2? I think he'll likely feature over xmas. Wouldn't surprise me if Mourinho doesn't fancy him in away games atm

Fracture90

Him being paired up with Darmian isn't helping him either tbh. Mourinho should give him a run of games with a proper LB behind him.

Nothing really wrong with his comments but he does sound a bit sulky and immature.

Just needs to take his opportunities. Only his second season and he's not there yet.
He just turned 21.

He was terrible in quite a few of his early performances. Now he's playing extremely well in every game. So obviously hasn't improved? Is that even logic?
The only game in which Mikhi was terrible was vs. Citeh. He was fresh from an injury tho. Game before that he was a game changer in last 15 minutes against Hull.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The only positive with how his season is going, is we have plenty of others to rely on this year.

Imagine if he'd been poor or sulky last year! Cripes.

LouisDanGaal

Imagine when he hits form. Seriously, Zlatan Pogba Mkhi Carrick Herrera all bang in form, throw our best outfield player last season in to the mix and we're going places. I think he will play one of the next two games from the start. I think he will deliver too.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Finally our players can only play if they are in top form. He clearly is not so doesnt play and rightly so. Up your performance or you dont play

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Finally our players can only play if they are in top form. He clearly is not so doesnt play and rightly so. Up your performance or you dont play
If that was how Fergie treated all his players, young Ronaldo would have spent a lot of time warming the bench. He didn't because SAF prioritized him as a key player at the club instead of chucking him out at every opportunity and picking average players over him.

I hope martial learns from whatever mourinho is demanding from him but I do hope that latter understands how beneficial an investment of playing time in martial can be for the club in the longer run.

Martial wasn't even bad last week. Apparently Jose was shouting at him to run more during the game or something, so maybe it had to do with that.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
If that was how Fergie treated all his players, young Ronaldo would have spent a lot of time warming the bench. He didn't because SAF prioritized him as a key player at the club instead of chucking him out at every opportunity and picking average players over him.

I hope martial learns from whatever mourinho is demanding from him but I do hope that latter understands how beneficial an investment of playing time in martial can be for the club in the longer run.

Martial wasn't even bad last week. Apparently Jose was shouting at him to run more during the game or something, so maybe it had to do with that.
But Ronaldo didnt start all games either. He was selected when he was on form or when Fergie thought it was time to play him. All players needed to up their performances and those who did, they play. If you dont, you dont have a competitive environment which was a huge weakness in the last 3 years

Gazza

Ultimately, Martial needs to learn to play the wide forward position at least for the rest of this season and next, assuming Zlatan renews. That means making runs in behind full backs and doing a bit of defensive work. I'd imagine that's what Mourinho wants from him and it's fair enough really. Should be good for Martial in the long term if it means he can develop his skill set. He's still so young and he needs to show patience and the right attitude (not saying he's not at the moment, necessarily). If he does all that then why wouldn't Mourinho play him? It would be in his best interests. Mourinho has already shown that he will give players their due if they do the right things, see Mkhi and Mata to name two.

Gazza

Where's this from? An interview somewhere or summink?

Kearnkoff69

He's got all the talent and skillset to succeed as a wide forward in the short term (or long term, but he may see himself as a central striker). He just needs to adapt to Jose's demands, put his head down, and work extra hard to make himself stand out. Messi, Ronaldo, etc. always had immense talent but never would have gotten on the pitch and succeeded like they did if they didn't put in countless hours on the training pitch and worked for that success. I believe he'll come good, just a rough patch for a still very young lad.

Reactions: Penna

legball

Anytime our young players struggle & gets dropped, United fans have a habit of justifying it with "their attitude" or "doesn't work hard enough" & things like that. I don't think Martial isn't working hard, neither do I think he's not putting his head down & trying to adapt, he is just out of form, but, that's the thing, there are certain players you persist with, and in my opinion, he is in that range. We're still not very dangerous in that final third, and he has the mixture of speed, dribbling & finishing that can hurt teams, he's a player you spend extra time on making sure he's on his game, dropping him after one bad game (which Jose has done all season) is not the right way but this is just my opinion.

NYAS

Consistency is his problem but not in terms tiredness during games, it's in terms of performances on a game-by-game basis.

RedCurry

Our left side is a bit of a waste anyway. Might as well persist with Martial. But I am just going to trust Mourinho on this one. If he thinks Martial needs to work harder to get the starting spot back, then that's exactly what he must do.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Positive quotes from him there and he's bang on. Hey if mourinho can get him to work even harder then that can only do more for his development long term. Personally still think he's got a big part to play in our season.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Positive stuff. I remember Mourinho saying after an international break that Martial was working hard at Carrington.

Hope he keeps working because he could be dynamite for us.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think it's the reason he's been on the bench despite showing signs of coming into form. He's playing with more intensity than he's used to. Think Mourinho would want him fresh for the coming weeks.

rotherham_red

I think it's the reason he's been on the bench despite showing signs of coming into form. He's playing with more intensity than he's used to. Think Mourinho would want him fresh for the coming weeks.
I agree, I think him and Mkhitaryan should be starting all three of the Xmas programme games, both haven't played a minute of the last two games and will be chomping at the bit to do themselves justice.

ElQuesoGrande

I think the reason he has been dropped his simply his lack of defensive workrate, which is also why i think we've seen less of Rashford too.

I think the Watford game showed Mourinho early doors that our full-backs, particularly whoever is LB, need help in stopping shots coming in and that we were struggling to defend them when they did make their way into the box. This is why we're seeing Rooney there now.

Also we are getting better delivery from central positions, and so we can afford for our wingers to focus more on the defensive side.

littleman

It's not just an attitude thing when compared to Mkhi.

Mkhi is simply, a better player.

What Martial may be able to do is reach greater individual heights in athleticism and wingplay, but Mkhi's intelligent and interplay is probably going to be better throughout Martial's career.

AR87

Really not worried about Martial. He's adjusting to playing with Zlatan and Pogba, both of whom are players who we naturally play through more frequently, whereas last year Martial had much of the play run through him. He got used to receiving the ball to feet and being able to create himself from there. Now with Zlatan and Pogba, he has to learn how to make runs off the ball and exploit the space they create with the attention they command from defenses.

If he played a bit more like Lingard in his off ball movement, with his finishing ability and close control, I suspect the goals would really start flowing for him.

ash_86

Mourinho loves a fast winger and he's just that. He'll get there eventually

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

What Martial may be able to do is reach greater individual heights in athleticism and wingplay, but Mkhi's intelligent and interplay is probably going to be better throughout Martial's career.
They are different type of players, Micki’s best attributes don’t automatically make him a better player. Martial is more of a wide forward (could still become a top striker) who’s main duty is to put pressure to defenders, make them foul him, score and assists goals. Mkhitaryan is more of a playmaker. Both really good players, Micki is at his prime age-wise whereas Martial is still only 21, suffering from a ”2nd season syndrome” of a kind. Don’t get this need/obsession to decide which player is better than another one. There’s so many things to take into consideration when comparing players head-to-head, it’s pretty pointless imo. It somehow makes sense with two players playing the same position, but even then it’s rarely as black and white as many seem to think.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

It's like you couldn't wait any longer to proclaim that Mkhitaryan had a better career than Martial so just threw it out there 15 years early.

AXVnee7

Want to see this guy back in action soon! Got the highest of hopes for him.

NotQuiteManc

I miss the first season Martial. The one that terrorises the defenders like Ronaldo and Giggsy and probably Kanchelskis before him. Come back soon the real Martial.

Status
Not open for further replies.