5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirMattBugsby

I can understand why Pogba isn't droppable, due to lack of options in that role but i do agree that left flank won't be reliable attacking option until LB position is sorted.

I think that Martial and Mikhi can work well we've seen both of them tracking back and helping defensively as well as not going into wild dribbles without backup behind them.

He played Ozil and Di Maria on RW position opposite to Ronaldo and none of them ever did any defensive work.
Not sure we should compare our situation with Real. Different club structure, different team structure, different class of players. Plus di Maria was not a prima donna then and worked diligently off the ball (so much so that he and Ozil ensured Kaka would never get a proper chance under Mourinho).

I agree that Martial does his fair share of defensive work, but the fact is I do want him to go into wild dribbles. Isn't that what he does best (and did so last year as well)? Especially now, when all we need is end product.

He should be the star of this team, or atleast a key player. That status lies with Pogba. No wonder we create chances without scoring!

SirMattBugsby

Imagine Jose getting rid of Martial for his personal favourite Fellaini.....:D
It is possible. Fellaini is definitely staying for now. Martial seems a headstrong yet sensitive character (exactly the kind Mourinho doesn't like) who is aware of his ability. He's not going to blindly follow a manager (much less one who's not been a player himself) unless he's absolutely certain it will help him develop.

Mourinho does pamper strikers when he wants to (eg. Zlatan), so I'm not sure why he's trying to discipline Martial so much. Not gonna work if you ask me. He's a forward for feck's sake, leave him be!

Jib

Well, Jose for one won't be tolerating any such sulking lackadaisical behavior no matter how talented the player is. Wonder why people on here are having a go at Jose when a similar thing has happened with NT manager.
Because Deschamps is a bad coach ?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
@sunama @AN17

Yeah it makes sense what you say. However, I still believe Jose needs to make a greater effort here. All it takes is just a slight change in approach to get the kid to trust you.

For agents/entourage/or whomever is around him - the club needs to step in and have a chat with them...

Anyway, we'll see what happens.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
It is possible. Fellaini is definitely staying for now. Martial seems a headstrong yet sensitive character (exactly the kind Mourinho doesn't like) who is aware of his ability. He's not going to blindly follow a manager (much less one who's not been a player himself) unless he's absolutely certain it will help him develop.

Mourinho does pamper strikers when he wants to (eg. Zlatan), so I'm not sure why he's trying to discipline Martial so much. Not gonna work if you ask me. He's a forward for feck's sake, leave him be!
Definitely right on his character traits.

However, he has to follow the manager's instructions - that needs to be made clear to him. There is a way to be stern with someone but still get them to do things your way. SAF could do this with his eyes closed.

I just worry, as Jose doesn't seem like the subtle type. You don't have to have SAF's particular talent (not many people do) to be able to quickly figure out a personality type and then adjust accordingly in order to get them on your side - being experienced at management helps a lot. You don't have to be a genius at it - but all that experience will help you to know what to do in a given situation. It's just if Jose feels like putting in that effort..

AN17

Because Deschamps is a bad coach ?
What does that make Mourinho ?

Whether Deschamps is a great coach or not, he was a footballer prior to that, and knows a thing or two when a player is not doing enough in training or not putting in effort during a game. The indication that Jose feels something similar only reinforces the point that Martial needs to sort himself out.

redflair

There has to be room for free-spirited players to do their own thing at our club (within reason) because that's what we're built on.

Jose, I'm afraid, does like to squeeze the life out of them - until sometimes they break.

Let's hope AM is back in the team soon because excitement and thrills are our meat and drink - and this lad epitomises that way of thinking.

ash_86

There has to be room for free-spirited players to do their own thing at our club (within reason) because that's what we're built on.

Jose, I'm afraid, does like to squeeze the life out of them - until sometimes they break.

Let's hope AM is back in the team soon because excitement and thrills are our meat and drink - and this lad epitomises that way of thinking.
like Pogba?

Jaxa

Very interesting, i fully trust and back Mourinho with this though, I feel he desprately want's to play Martial in the starting 11 because he knows how good he can be (world class quality) but Martial isn't giving Mourinho back what he needs from him for the team, much like Hazard last season, i really hope the kid buckles up and truely realises what he can be but you can see there's something there with him, be it his dedication or motivation to take that next step and see the bigger picture rather than think you deserve to be starting every match, i do believe Mou will get the best out of him eventually though

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'm getting a bit tired of this Martial sideshow to be honest. Apart from Ibrahimovic, all our attackers are being rotated.

Footyislife

I love how a manager expects consistency without giving his players consistencty. He just needs to pick his best 2 and then give them a run of games, instead of trying to appease everyone. Everyone knows Martial and Mhki are our best wide players. Mourinho is irrationally impulsive for a manager who believes in selecting a consistent squad.

Irrational.

I still find it strange why he's being asked to compete with Rashford for a spot on the wing when Rashford is as much a nailed on striker as you can get.

Surely Rashford should be competing with Ibra for a striking position, rather than keeping Ibra on for 90 minutes game after game.

Fraud

I'm pretty sure that Jose isn't happy with him or any other winger. And that's why he will buy a player for that position. I can't blame him, to be honest. Nobody is good enough.

OohAahMartial

I still find it strange why he's being asked to compete with Rashford for a spot on the wing when Rashford is as much a nailed on striker as you can get.

Surely Rashford should be competing with Ibra for a striking position, rather than keeping Ibra on for 90 minutes game after game.
This. Zlatan should be competing with Martial and Rashford and when he has a poor game I don't see him getting dropped for anyone. Seems in Jose's eyes he really doesn't see Martial as a #9 at all. At least we now know that the trip to Paris was not an issue and know that he was dropeed due Jose not being impressed with his performance and for rotation reasons. I don't think it will be for defensive issues though as he did fine there but notice many posters being unimpressed with his attacking performance. Seems Jose is setting a very high bar but also not giving the conditions necessary to reach it.

Fracture90

Only one that actually trying to make something happen? Are you blind?

I'm so tired of Martial fan boys twisting reality to fit their agenda. Funny that when he failed to deliver, his fan boy said "He 'tried' to make something". And they knew that's not enough to convince so lets throw "only one" in there too.
That performance didn't warrant anything. Takes Martial out and put Lingard into it and everyone will scream murder. Liverpool fans are not entirely wrong to say he's in the rookie pocket. If he wasn't the best goal scorer from last season nobody will move an eye lid if he doesn't start a game again. It's only that fact (and that he has 'amazing talent') that we're willing to overlook it.
No I'm not Blind, but I'd do better job than him in LB position.

What's this "fanboying" childish level insult you're throwing around? You're 52 mate, act accordingly. If you don't like someone's opinion, don't read it but don't go around acting that arrogant like your opinon is all that matters.

I suggest you go and watch that first half again.

If we're all Martial's fanboys, than that makes you a Mourinho fanboy, right? Bit odd considering your age to be idolising someone, but hey it's a brave new world.

Last edited:

Cantona_Forever

What's this "fanboying" childish level insult you're throwing around? You're 52 mate, act accordingly. If you don't like someone's opinion, don't read it but don't go around action that arrogant like your opinon is all that matters.
Yeah.. true, it's inappropriate.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
The issue I have with that is that the alternatives are hardly setting the world alight either.

Mata was awful V Stoke. Otherwise his and Martial's levels have been similar this season.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Mourinho isnt the problem here, and surprised people see it that way. He has standards and his players need to fulfill them, especially in training. Obviously, Micki and Shaw didn't and hence they were / are not playing. Same for Martial. It's also not the first time that someone complains about his work rate and attitude. I can see that he's very laid back so now he needs to grow and improve. Otherwise, he's out of the team.

Esquire

I love how a manager expects consistency without giving his players consistencty. He just needs to pick his best 2 and then give them a run of games, instead of trying to appease everyone. Everyone knows Martial and Mhki are our best wide players. Mourinho is irrationally impulsive for a manager who believes in selecting a consistent squad.
If it was that simple then you and I could be United's manager? I'm sorry but your argument is not really rational on any level. You are basically saying Mou is wrong for not giving Martial a run of games irrespective of Martial's (and his agent's) attitude and, more importantly, form. And that playing Martial no matter how he does (and ignoring other options) will be the sure fire way of getting the old Martial back. Mou has already explained that he has given Martial plenty of chances and played him in the big games (most recently being Liverpool) and has found him wanting. Why is that so hard to accept, that the manager doesn't think a player is doing enough to warrant an automatic first choice or a long run of games irrespective of form? I don't think he is trying to appease everyone but what he is saying is that he has other options which are just as good if not better waiting for their "run of games". So unless Martial proves himself, he doesn't deserve to start. I find that's fair and should be the sole discretion of the manager. Can't see where the impulsiveness is in Mou's line of thought.

To be fair, I really like Martial and hope he does enough to convince Jose. He is clearly a world class talent. But can't really fault Mou for this one.

Fracture90

This. Judging by what Mourinho has said on yesterday's press conference you basically think that in his mind if Martial isn't dribbling past 5 opponents and scoring 4 goals per game he isn't showing enough to be playing.

Godfather

The issue I have with that is that the alternatives are hardly setting the world alight either.

Mata was awful V Stoke. Otherwise his and Martial's levels have been similar this season.
Pretty much. With all the "options" we have. Not one delivers atm. Concerning.

Esquire

Fine, I agree with that. But on that basis isn't it up to Mou to find the right person to start on LW? Instead of granting chances to a player, be it Martial or whoever that is, chance after chance?

Fracture90

Fine, I agree with that. But on that basis isn't it up to Mou to find the right person to start on LW? Instead of granting chances to a player, be it Martial or whoever that is, chance after chance?
Martial indeed was our best player last season and he played half if not more games on that left flank last season.

Also considering that really nobody claimed that LW spot this season and that Lingard is RW so is Mikhi, whilst Mata is number then that is playing RW.

Rashford and Martial both are CF but both made some good appearances in that LW spot and also because of the fact that Zlatan can't be subbed of, LW spot really comes down between Martial and Rashford.

Again IMO.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Mourinho said he hasn't lost focus and hinted at a lack of consistency in his game.
The rift between him and Mourinho is a media invention. He's just not played well enough to justify starting every week.

SteveW

He's been better than our other options for left wing. That should be enough to keep his place. Don't get Jose's angle here. Martial stepped up his performances recently and worked hard for the team. His reward is to get dropped from the squad again and publicly criticised. Other players consistently play like crap and a harsh word is never said.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's been better than our other options for left wing. That should be enough to keep his place. Don't get Jose's angle here. Martial stepped up his performances recently and worked hard for the team. His reward is to get dropped from the squad again and publicly criticised. Other players consistently play like crap and a harsh word is never said.
Guess he's trying the same trick he did with Mkhi. He's putting pressure on him and seeing if he sinks or swims. Let's hope Martial gives the correct reaction. I assume that was why Memphis didn't make the cut either. Just didn't respond how Mourinho wanted.

NinjaFletch

He wants more from his attackers, who have all been varying degrees of average to bad - Zlatan and, fleetingly, Mkhi aside, and is trying different combinations until he finds one that works. I don't disagree with the suggestion that Martial has been the best of a bad bunch, but why should we accept what he's given so far when we know he's capable of much more?

This situation reminds me a little of his early disputes with Hazard. Mourinho knows Martial is capable of more, and he's not going to let him get away with just being slightly better than the others.

SteveW

He wants more from his attackers, who have all been varying degrees of average to bad - Zlatan and, fleetingly, Mkhi aside, and is trying different combinations until he finds one that works. I don't disagree with the suggestion that Martial has been the best of a bad bunch, but why should we accept what he's given so far when we know he's capable of much more?

This situation reminds me a little of his early disputes with Hazard. Mourinho knows Martial is capable of more, and he's not going to let him get away with just being slightly better than the others.
Positive reinforcement. He seems to get dropped every time he has a decent game.

Status
Not open for further replies.