g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Anthony Martial image 9

Anthony Martial France flag

2016-17 Performances

View full 2016-17 profile

5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I still think that things with Martial are getting blown out of proportion, just like it was with Mkhitaryan when inevitable parallels with Kagawa appeared, he was nominated (after what, two months?) for the biggest flop award by the media and many people have seen him gone as Jose's gone full Hitler on him.

Cantona_Forever

I think you are being silly here without noticing how crucial mistakes he made from the two good run.
I have to discounted both of his good run because the end product and the decision making to pass the ball were the big mistake and if he did better we could have scored and probably won the game.
You have a very strange way to judge player. Looks at this

You clearly didn't watch the video at all and still replied it. He had 5 attempts take on, failed twice only. Had one cross for Ibra's chance, link up play with players, made a great block in our box, he made more Defensive contribution than Mkhytaryan in term of both quality and quantity
In other words, he'd done feck all. :lol:
He's a forward FFS. One of the front three forwards. Yes, he had to do his defensive duty but we shouldn't judge forward player firstly on that. Had he clear the ball from the goal line? Had he head the ball that's about to go in away? Had he fecked?
At least Mhiki did something. At least he's in good positions to threaten goal. Where was Martial?
What was his contribution in front of goal?

And that ball to Pogba in the 1st half.. that alone was already much more contribution than what Martial did all game. Isn't a splitting defense pass like that is a reason we bought him? What was the reason we bought Martial for? To dribble with no end product?
And it's not like Mhiki's fault Pogba scruffled the chance he created.

and one last thing which what you missed was he was the one who started the counter attack by winning the ball back when Mkhytaryan had a chance to shoot but decided to pass it to Martial.
I didn't miss that. Martial intercepted the ball, but the one who actually started a counter attack was Ibra. You said you watched this a couple of times already. Go ahead and watch it the 3rd time.. :lol: Martial only passed to the closest player which happened to be Ibra. It's Ibra quick thinking that put Mhiki through.
Not downplaying Martial contribution. But to give credit for that attack majorly on Martial while downplaying everyone else including Mhiki who making a great run is as silly as every attempts you have made in this thread.

With a knowledge of football like this, no wonder you're sitting there thinking Mourinho must be holding a grudge against Martial for some unknown reason. Pardon me, but I need to go out to LOL.

Last edited:

TheSwedeFromSweden

Supports
Zlatan
If a player plays really bad a game he should expect to not be playing the next. Not complain about it, just focus on trainings to get his place back. Look at what mkhitaryan did. Martial should learn.

Infra-red

He was dropped from the squad, left for Paris, his agent mouthed off to French media again and now the red tops are reporting that Jose wasnt pleased with his Liverpool performance and that Martial was pissed off.
Indeed. This after Mourinho had previously publicly told Martial to listen him more in training and ignore his agent. He needs to knuckle-down.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38480502

AXVnee7

If a player plays really bad a game he should expect to not be playing the next. Not complain about it, just focus on trainings to get his place back. Look at what mkhitaryan did. Martial should learn.
Agree that Martial shouldn't complain, but he did not play a really bad game against Liverpool. It wasn't his best but it wasn't the worst performance from a Utd player either. I think he feels unfairly singled out, and I can sympathise with that. No one has really put in any sort of great consistent performances on the left this season, so I feel it's strange to drop Martial regardless because he has the best qualities for that position.

Thisistheone

There is a fragility to Martial that I think Mourinho is trying to break. He's a kid - the idea that he is the saviour of Man Utd and should be starting every game is plain wrong. It's not all about talent and underestimating the mental side of the game is what got us in this position in the first place.

His handling of Shaw is exactly the same. They either change personally or they will change club.
This.

pascell

I think it'd be a huge mistake to let a young talented player like Martial go...
Of course it would but there are some players that you can't help, the only person letting Martial become a world-class player is himself. Jose won't keep him if he doesn't show dedication to the cause, if he's not willing to work himself into the ground for the team then he'll be gone.

You can have all the talent in the world but if you don't have the mentality to match you'll go nowhere eg Ravel Morrison.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Of course it would but there are some players that you can't help, the only person letting Martial become a world-class player is himself. Jose won't keep him if he doesn't show dedication to the cause, if he's not willing to work himself into the ground for the team then he'll be gone.

You can have all the talent in the world but if you don't have the mentality to match you'll go nowhere eg Ravel Morrison.
He showed he has the mentality last season, when he practically carried the team on many occasions on his own. Maybe Jose's approach is what is causing part of the issue. I'm sure they will both work it out, hopefully

Womp

idiot
People claiming Jose is taking Martial for granted are speaking bollocks imo. Was it not Jose the one who came out earlier on in the season and said if there was no Martial last season, there was no 3 points? He knows how good Martial is and can be. There would be no reason for him not to take a liking to Martial, as he has done with Rashford and Lingard.

Only thing I can predict is Martial isn't working hard enough and if that's the case, he's never going to fulfil his potential anyway. He needs to knuckle down.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Is it allowed to assume that problem lies in both Martial's and Mourinho's attitude?
Mourinho has problems with 2/3 youngest players in the team. He's loaned out others. Coincidence? I think not. That follows him to every club he's been at, he's sold good young players before that came back to bite him in the ass and he appears to have learnt little since then.

LvG by all accounts was a hard taskmaster but he handled Shaw and Martial far better than this.

Oldham

Yes agreed.
Hard for us supporters to tell if the attitude is bad as we don't see them in training. Martial always looks a bit sulky when playing, but I think he works hard in our matches, although his form hasn't been brilliant this season so far...
I'm sure he'll be a top player and hopefully for United.

Turamb

He has so much potential

I really hope things work out and he stays with us for many years yet

Fracture90

Mourinho has problems with 2/3 youngest players in the team. He's loaned out others. Coincidence? I think not. That follows him to every club he's been at, he's sold good young players before that came back to bite him in the ass and he appears to have learnt little since then.

LvG by all accounts was a hard taskmaster but he handled Shaw and Martial far better than this.
I agree. Majority of people has been adamant it's Martial's attitude that's causing problems that i made that sarcastic post.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Is it allowed to assume that problem lies in both Martial's and Mourinho's attitude?
This is what I assume is the problem. A clash of personalities. Martial seems like a bit of loner, not always in with the crowd and I imagine he doesn't take to kindly to criticism or being dropped and I would think he sulks about it and makes it clear he is unhappy. This is turn will rub Mourinho up the wrong way who doesn't like players showing a poor attitude or sulking about being dropped.

I do think Martial has been unfairly treated. How would you feel if you have your number taken off you and then keep getting dropped every other week for no apparent reason? He hasn't been playing badly IMO so I can see why he would be frustrated.

If Mourinho lets him go it will be a huge mistake. If there are issues between them they really need to sort them out ASAP.

This is all just assumption but this would be my guess as to what's going on.

Last edited:

Ban

You seem to know whats going on behind the scenes and that only Jose is the problem. Care to share the information?

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
This is what I assume is the problem. A clash of personalities. Martial seems like a bit of loner, not always in with the crowd and I imagine he doesn't take to kindly to criticism or being dropped and I would think he sulks about it and makes it clear he is unhappy. This is turn will rub Mourinho up the wrong way who doesn't like players showing a poor attitude or sulking about being dropped.

I do think Martial has been unfairly treated. How would you feel if you have your number taken off you and then keep getting dropped every other week for no apparent reason? He hasn't been playing badly IMO so I can see why he would be frustrated.

If Mourinho lets him go it will be a huge mistake. If there are issues between them they really need to sort them out ASAP.

This is all just assumption but this would be my guess as to what's going on.
Meant to edit this post rather than quote it. Ignore.

RedMaestro

Yes and no - Pogba had a lousy game against Liverpool but got a chance the next game. But this is something players who has the trust from the manager that can have periods like this and still be in the starting 11. Martial is still in the middle - too good for the bench, but still has a few things to sort out to be Mourinho's choice in the starting 11.

Totally agree with the not complaining bit. It's not a good sign if a player will sulk when they get dropped from the 11, you simply "man up" and do what is expected from you. Hope this is something Martial does too, which I believe he does. I remember reading a while ago about him feeling that he still has a lot to prove and that he's still young and wants to develop - a good sign that he can take care of the missing pieces and earn his place in the 11.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The problem comes when a player has an average game and is dropped, whilst someone else "Pogba" "Ibra" have rubbish games but play every week.
Martial is young and will hopefully learn though, but its clear some are treated differently from others.

RedMaestro

I am a big fan of Jose and obviously I don't see the players training etc but I do see some favouritism from Jose for certain players. It's clear things are not 100% between Jose and Martial. Yes, Jose may expect more from Martial and maybe Martial is not so keen on tracking back, but neither is Pogba. Some of Pogba's performances have been poor as bad as anything Martial has produced. Martial was covered by 3 Liverpool players every time he touched the ball. So other players should have took advantage but they didn't. Pogba's performance against Liverpool was terrible yet he was not dropped. Zlatan again has had poor games yet never substituted. Again I have to question this. Rashford and Martial were a revelation last year yet have never had a consistent run in the team.
Like I stated at the beginning I have no real idea of everything that has gone on. Jose should be given more time regardless of how we do for the rest of the year, yet I think a mark against him so far is his faith in youngsters at United.
He is a manager and that involves different approached to dealing with people, not everyone responds the same way. Maybe Martial and his agent are exacerbating the problem but I don't like managers having favourites, and at the moment despite all Jose's strengths this is a weakness he is demonstrating.
I can't read Mourinho's mind but it's clear that Ibra can contribute even the times when he seems to be "invisible" and failing most of the times during a game - can be "bad" for 85 mins and do something spectacular the last 5, goal or assist. Mourinho has also claimed that he for instance appreciated what Ibra did even during his drought period with other things besides goals - i.e. hold up play and link up play.

With Ibra on the field the opponents will always have to put a lot of focus on him (whether he's good or bad during the game) which therefore creates space for his teammates. We shouldn't forget that he still has a lot of "respect" and many still "fear" him. Martial and Rashford still doesn't "pose" as big of a threat when it comes to this.

The part about 3 Liverpool players covering him isn't completely accurate - this happened during a couple of times not constantly. Liverpool's Alexander Arnold was more successful than Martial despite making his debut. One thing that bothers me with Martial is that it often seems to me that he sulks a lot during the game - everytime he loses the ball or fails to dribble the way he wants, his facial expression seems negative. I don't know if it's just me or if others have noticed this.

El Zoido

There is a fragility to Martial that I think Mourinho is trying to break. He's a kid - the idea that he is the saviour of Man Utd and should be starting every game is plain wrong. It's not all about talent and underestimating the mental side of the game is what got us in this position in the first place.

His handling of Shaw is exactly the same. They either change personally or they will change club.
Spot on. No charity, no sentimentality, he's building a side full of winners, it's his way of weeding out the mentally fragile players. Break them and rebuild them in your mould.

marlowe78

I can't read Mourinho's mind but it's clear that Ibra can contribute even the times when he seems to be "invisible" and failing most of the times during a game - can be "bad" for 85 mins and do something spectacular the last 5, goal or assist. Mourinho has also claimed that he for instance appreciated what Ibra did even during his drought period with other things besides goals - i.e. hold up play and link up play.

With Ibra on the field the opponents will always have to put a lot of focus on him (whether he's good or bad during the game) which therefore creates space for his teammates. We shouldn't forget that he still has a lot of "respect" and many still "fear" him. Martial and Rashford still doesn't "pose" as big of a threat when it comes to this.

The part about 3 Liverpool players covering him isn't completely accurate - this happened during a couple of times not constantly. Liverpool's Alexander Arnold was more successful than Martial despite making his debut. One thing that bothers me with Martial is that it often seems to me that he sulks a lot during the game - everytime he loses the ball or fails to dribble the way he wants, his facial expression seems negative. I don't know if it's just me or if others have noticed this.
I don't know if Martial is enjoying his role right now. He's said before that he likes playing on the wing but he's usually playing nowadays without a decent FB supporting him (except when maybe Blind plays there) and he looks more restricted in the areas where he can play. The same thing is going on with Rashford, I think he's done decently as a winger but I don't think he's being used to his full potential there.

Some people brought up earlier in the season that we should go back to 4-2-2. I've been in the 4-3-3 camp but I'm wondering if having Martial/Rashford and Ibra as co-strikers would make us more dangerous. The problem is that, again, we don't have particularly good attacking FBs so that setup might not work at all.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
You seem to know whats going on behind the scenes and that only Jose is the problem. Care to share the information?
I don't have to know behind the scenes information. I know the track record of the two parties involved and that's enough for me to make an educated deduction of what the situation might be.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
He's not having the best of times at the moment but he's still one of the more threatening players for the opposition when he's on the pitch.

Still think he's a better striker than a winger. Same thing to be said about Rashford but it looks like Zlatan plays every minute of every game.

pascell

Don't know if it's been reported but Daily Mail is running with the story that the relationship between Martial & Mourinho is strained, after Jose not giving him a reason for dropping him.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

I agree.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
He was nowhere near as bad as others in that game, and even when he plays well he gets dropped from the following game.

Fracture90

He was nowhere near as bad as others in that game, and even when he plays well he gets dropped from the following game.
He was the only one that was actually trying to make something happen, yet somehow majority of people see him as being poor in that game. Some people will travel the great lengths to justify Mourinho's strange decisions.

prath92

In reply to 'any update on martial'

Of course not sure if he knows something or just giving his opinion

SirMattBugsby

If I'm not mistaken, Martial plays more at home than away. This logically means Mourinho doesn't rate his defensive aptitude and ability to sacrifice for the team.

But we don't need any more defending, do we? We need goals. Mourinho needs to put his ego aside and let our most talented forward play.

3KDré

If I'm not mistaken, Martial plays more at home than away. This logically means Mourinho doesn't rate his defensive aptitude and ability to sacrifice for the team.

But we don't need any more defending, do we? We need goals. Mourinho needs to put his ego aside and let our most talented forward play.
Don't actually think that. Martial works just as hard defensively as Mata. He's shown it very well at times this season already.

Ban

I don't have to know behind the scenes information. I know the track record of the two parties involved and that's enough for me to make an educated deduction of what the situation might be.
Great stuff.
I guess it's not possible Martial is the problem, right?
And you know Martial's track record?
As I said great stuff.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Especially while the likes of Ibrahimovic and Pogba only get dropped for rest. Granted we have a lot more depth on the wings, but the treatment is still highly unfair compared to that of Martial. In my opinion, Martial has dug in and worked a lot more in recent games. You can see he's trying to follow Mourinho's instructions, yet it doesn't seem to satisfy Mourinho. Hence, Martial becomes frustrated, because he doesn't know what else to do. We're at a dangerous point and Mourinho should be smart enough to look into the mirror and see if he's handling this situation as well as he could. We don't need Martial to become a de Bruyne situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.