6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_toad

, no one here has blamed solely Mourinho, Martial's had plenty of his share of the blame as well.
You sure about that? Had a 5 minute look, maybe you can do your own scan back next time.

It's already started. Media attributing Martial's form down to Mourinho's tough love when in reality Martial should have been an established and consistent top player of not world class player already.

The kid at 19-20 came from an electric first season, won a golden ball, mesmerise the league with his talent. Given the amount of talent on show here, he should have stepped up in his second season from his first and by now be an established world class player.

But Mourinho mismanaging him last season, undoing all his work from his first season and good will he'd garnered by then is somehow seen as tough love.

Now the kid through hard work and mostly pure talent he's showing again what he's truly about despite still somehow being in a bit of an handicapped situation.

Mourinho simply doesn't really know how to manage and coach a player like Martial.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's 21.
People should keep that in mind when they have a go at him.
It's like some expect him to already be a WC player.

SteveW

It helps explain to reasoning behind Jose's selections at times last season. An idiot could see he's a better player than someone like Lingard but it's understandable that a manager might not want to select a player that wasn't fully focused.

SteveW

I found the below to be very positive from Mourinho. You get the feeling that he, like most of us is excited about the type of player he could become.

"We started again from scratch,” the 54-year-old said.

"I think we're now at the stage where I really think he can be a great, great player.

“After a difficult period, the definitive explosion will come."

TRA007

I found the below to be very positive from Mourinho. You get the feeling that he, like most of us is excited about the type of player he could become.

"I think we're now at the stage where I really think he can be a great, great player.

Mou's statement is more important imo, it is the first time I think that he has described Martial as potentially great or exploding onto the scene.
Post match Brighton Mou praised Lukaku's workrate and had a jibe at some forward saying that the guy has great talent but not the desire that Mou wants and Lukaku shows. Thought he meant Martial but pleasantly surprised at being wrong.

Womp

idiot
So it was Jose's fault Shaw turned to shite, yet other managers and himself came out and said it was down to him. They then said it was his fault Martial was having a shite season but he came out and said it was down to himself too. They didn't want Matic who is now one of our best players.

Good thing the club isn't run by the caf.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

When was this?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He'll tear it up if and when we get a proper #10 that can connect play and consistently feed the forwards.

When was the last time we had someone consistently playing through balls to our pacy forwards to latch onto? Right now it's a drag watching them coming into midfield to get a touch with a defender on their backs.

E-mal

I really dont get this movement to make Jose infallible, everyone that has eyes could see that despite Martials shortcomings the coach himself did not help the situation. He is as much to blame as the player.

Canagel

Mourinho still isn't getting the best out of Martial in my opinion. Yes he's doing very well at the moment but I feel he is capable of much more. We all saw his potential in his first year and some of the things he was pulling off were crazy. He is the most talented player at this club and can do things no-one else in the team can. Why does Martial find himself on the wing surrounded by 3 opposition defenders and no-one from the team is within 10 yards of him? I don't know if people have noticed this but it happens so often during games. This is the result of poor coaching because firstly Martial is most dangerous when he is running towards the goal and committing defenders. If this is the case then the team has to be set up so that Martial can find himself in these positions as much as possible. Look at Sane and Sterling at City. Neither have the dribbling quality that Martial has yet they constantly find themselves 1 on 1 with defenders and running into space. This is something that must be rectified by the coaching staff. Having said all that there is no doubt that Martial has improved massively from last season and you can all see his stats this season compared to last. I hope he can score double figures this time around.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Mourinho still isn't getting the best out of Martial in my opinion. He is the most talented player at this club and can do things no-one else in the team can. Why does Martial find himself on the wing surrounded by 3 opposition defenders and no-one from the team is within 10 yards of him? I don't know if people have noticed this but it happens so often during games. This is the result of poor coaching because firstly Martial is most dangerous when he is running towards the goal and committing defenders. If this is the case then the team has to be set up so that Martial can find himself in these positions as much as possible. Look at Sane and Sterling at City. Neither have the dribbling quality that Martial has yet they constantly find themselves 1 on 1 with defenders and running into space. This is something that must be rectified by the coaching staff. Having said all that there is no doubt that Martial has improved massively from last season and you can all see his stats this season compared to last. I hope he can score double figures this time around.
That is what you call football. One team attacks, the other defends.

Greck

I really dont get this movement to make Jose infallible, everyone that has eyes could see that despite Martials shortcomings the coach himself did not help the situation. He is as much to blame as the player.
At the end of the day Martial's attitude last season wasn't the best. But Jose could also take a page from Fergie's book of tending to his player's happiness off the pitch. A 20 year old having his domestic issues dragged out in the public eye could have done with a father figure to guide in such a tough period. Can't say we noticed much sympathy from Jose's end

Canagel

That is what you call football. One team attacks, the other defends.
The point I'm trying to make is that with better coaching Martial wouldn't feel the pressure to dribble past 3 defenders every time to create chances and make a difference. It helps a lot if the team move the ball quickly to isolate him with defenders 1 on 1 and stop playing the slow pedestrian football we normally play.

AR87

The point I'm trying to make is that with better coaching Martial wouldn't feel the pressure to dribble past 3 defenders every time to create chances and make a difference. It helps a lot if the team move the ball quickly to isolate him with defenders 1 on 1 and stop playing the slow pedestrian football we normally play.
Yes, I'm sure Mourinho, who has coached teams that are among the greatest counterattacking sides in the history of the game, wants them to play slowly and not isolate their dynamic attackers in 1v1 situations.

Womp

idiot
At the end of the day Martial's attitude last season wasn't the best. But Jose could also take a page from Fergie's book of tending to his player's happiness off the pitch. A 20 year old having his domestic issues dragged out in the public eye could have done with a father figure to guide in such a tough period. Can't say we noticed much sympathy from Jose's end
We have literally no idea about what goes on behind the scenes though. He could have done so.

Mike09

Watching the clip of how Pep gave some lessons to Sterling makes me wonder if Jose has ever done the same thing to Martial or Jose is just expecting Martial to figure out all the issues by himself.

It's really hard at this point who's fault and how come Martial still unable to pick up the same performance as his first season. Could be Jose is still unable to get the best out of Martial or Martial is just inconsistent. But at the moment he's playing better than last season.

Womp

idiot
Watching the clip of how Pep gave some lessons to Sterling makes me wonder if Jose has ever done the same thing to Martial or Jose is just expecting Martial to figure out all the issues by himself.

It's really hard at this point who's fault and how come Martial still unable to pick up the same performance as his first season. Could be Jose is still unable to get the best out of Martial or Martial is just inconsistent. But at the moment he's playing better than last season.
He isn't as good as the first season as the team has improved and not all our play goes through him anymore. Also we don't play posession which seemingly suited his style more. He's still playing very well this season and will only continue to improve.

acnumber9

He could help himself with that by not standing five yards away from our full back when they get the ball.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Mourinho still isn't getting the best out of Martial in my opinion. Yes he's doing very well at the moment but I feel he is capable of much more. We all saw his potential in his first year and some of the things he was pulling off were crazy. He is the most talented player at this club and can do things no-one else in the team can. Why does Martial find himself on the wing surrounded by 3 opposition defenders and no-one from the team is within 10 yards of him? I don't know if people have noticed this but it happens so often during games. This is the result of poor coaching because firstly Martial is most dangerous when he is running towards the goal and committing defenders. If this is the case then the team has to be set up so that Martial can find himself in these positions as much as possible. Look at Sane and Sterling at City. Neither have the dribbling quality that Martial has yet they constantly find themselves 1 on 1 with defenders and running into space. This is something that must be rectified by the coaching staff. Having said all that there is no doubt that Martial has improved massively from last season and you can all see his stats this season compared to last. I hope he can score double figures this time around.
Last player I remember we had that that happened to regularly was Ronaldo.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Another start.. what is it 4th consecutive start? Going all in on Martial, Jose now, he needs to start performing better. I don't buy the whole jose is not getting the best out of him argument, under LVG, he was able to dribble past players much better than now.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
4th consecutive start for Martial, I think he has deserved it. But he must keep on improving because he can show a higher level than he has so far.

haram

Think this system will suit him a bit better. Produce something like he did against CSKA and we can get the 3 points.

podurban2

I’d take him off soon, Watford players will take their frustration out on him...

binary bot
Tonight just reminded me how impressive his strength was in his first season.

Kapardin

Very clear that he has progressed under Jose this season. Now well ahead of Rashford in the pecking order, if they compete for the same position.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Very clear that he has progressed under Jose this season. Now well ahead of Rashford in the pecking order, if they compete for the same position.
Until his next poor game where he will be considered overrated and should be coming off the bench. :rolleyes:

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Hold up play has been very good too. Is he ready to play as a cf?

Status
Not open for further replies.