6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

InfiniteBoredom

The argument that 'Neville and Scholes said so and they know their onions' is laughably weak. They are humans and humans err. On the other hand, you have Rio who said that 'the general feeling within the club is that he could be whatever he wants to be', so why shouldn't we believe him? Does Rio not know then what makes a United player?

And come to think of it, the notion that there's a special type of 'Utd player' is nonsensical as well. As if Messi would lose his ability to play football if he comes to OT. The players who failed here failed because they are not good enough or not suited to PL football in general (Veron), not because there's a mysterious element of Utd-ness lacking.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
If I remember correctly, Martial has created the most chances on average out of all our attacking players, if not the whole team.

I remember seeing a month back that he had the highest average, not sure about now. If @Damien has the chance he could provide us with some stats.

Also like someone pointed out already he probably created the most clear cut chances in our big games even the very tight ones when we were completely defensive. Against both Liverpool and City he put the ball on a plate for Lukaku by demonstrating good skills and technique but unfortunately they couldn't be buried. I mean aren't moments like those which set top players? Creating something out of nothing on big occasions.

He also created the goal for Lingard against Arsenal via a nice piece of skill and scored against Spurs. I missed the Chelsea game, so can't say much about that but overall from what I've seen Martial created something and was a threat against all the top sides we've played this season so far. The same can't be said for everyone.

If anything this shows his consistent threat against top sides even when we park the bus with hardly any intention to attack.

TRA007

@Jaybomb with some clear lacking areas in our team, some 'off games' from Martial would be the least of our worries, no?

BigCaine

The Class of 92 would know a lot more about what makes a United player than any of us.

After all they’ve been around the club for the better part of 3 decades. They’ve seen players come and go, and if Neville and Scholes think Martial isn’t a United player then I’m inclined to agree with them. I see nothing that suggests he will have a Giggs or a Beckham or a Best-like legacy here. Right now hes looking like an inconsistent luxury player who has more bad games than good.

Yes he’s only young but so were Memphis Depay and Wilfred Zaha. So why did we give up on them so quickly? He was our top scorer in probably our worst ever season, attacking wise. And that was almost 3 seasons ago. To put this into perspective, players like Gotze, Jese and Shaqiri were all highly rated back then. Times change.

Going forward, I don’t think he’s the right choice on the left wing. I think we need to sign someone with proper pace rather than someone who constantly wants the ball at their feet so they can attempt to dribble past 6 defenders and then sulk when it doesn’t work out.

Perisic is more fitting for the role and I can only imagine the reason the majority of United fans don’t want him is due to his age. I think that’s ridiculous. Zidane signed for Real Madrid when he was 29. And yet nowadays you get a dirty look when you suggest we sign a 30 year old world class midfielder like Nainggolan or Vidal. We have enough “prospects” in the Team. We need to sign finished products at the top of their game. That’s how Mourinho won the league before.

Martial scored last week but trust me, he will have off games again. And people will still make excuses for him. It’s the same with Luke Shaw and to a lesser extent, Herrera and Smalling. It’s like some of our fans don’t want us to win the league or something.
Agree with you wholeheartedly the class of 92 were worldclass footballers who played for utd for great many years and clearly know what they are speaking, it isn't as if one of them thought david de gea who is the world's best keeper right now is not good enough and joe hart is much better, wait neville did that but so what clearly giggs and scholes know their stuff, they never said cleverley the next great midfielder or welbeck and jonnny evans is what utd player standard is, wait wrong again but so what who doesn't make mistakes judging player even fergie did. But they surely have managerial experience that qualifies them, so what if 2 of them haven't managed even a under 9's team and the one who attempted showed how out of depth he is when he actually has to do a job and not just slag someone off , not to mention his brother was such a great success at utd as coach under our greatest mistake ever. May be they aren't as good as you think and not to forget another utd legend ferdinand has nothing but praises for martial.

You say he was our top scorer 3 seasons ago, its actually just 2 seasons ago as he has been here for 3 years including this season, and how exactly is a season where we finished 4th worse than the season we finished 7th. Also in his worst season which was last year he still had more assists than anyone in the team and was outscored by mata, pogba and zlatan, rashford and rooney all of whom except rooney played lot more minutes than him.

Also did you just compare a guy who won a Balon D'or, 2 French PoY, 1 ligue 1 PoY, Serie A PoY and a world cup final MoM award before joining Madrid with a guy whose sole award i could find was he was the Belgian league PoY 6 years ago, very similar players i must say. Also just so it isn't unfair on Perisic lets compare this year's performances of martial and the guy who you want him replaced by shall we, Perisic 20 apps 1800 mins 7 goals and 6 assists to Martial 11(9) apps 919 minuted 7 goals and 3 assists, must say martial clearly proving he isn't fit to lace Perisic's boots.

Last edited:

SteveW

The Class of 92 would know a lot more about what makes a United player than any of us.

After all they’ve been around the club for the better part of 3 decades. They’ve seen players come and go, and if Neville and Scholes think Martial isn’t a United player then I’m inclined to agree with them. I see nothing that suggests he will have a Giggs or a Beckham or a Best-like legacy here. Right now hes looking like an inconsistent luxury player who has more bad games than good.

Yes he’s only young but so were Memphis Depay and Wilfred Zaha. So why did we give up on them so quickly? He was our top scorer in probably our worst ever season, attacking wise. And that was almost 3 seasons ago. To put this into perspective, players like Gotze, Jese and Shaqiri were all highly rated back then. Times change.

Going forward, I don’t think he’s the right choice on the left wing. I think we need to sign someone with proper pace rather than someone who constantly wants the ball at their feet so they can attempt to dribble past 6 defenders and then sulk when it doesn’t work out.

Perisic is more fitting for the role and I can only imagine the reason the majority of United fans don’t want him is due to his age. I think that’s ridiculous. Zidane signed for Real Madrid when he was 29. And yet nowadays you get a dirty look when you suggest we sign a 30 year old world class midfielder like Nainggolan or Vidal. We have enough “prospects” in the Team. We need to sign finished products at the top of their game. That’s how Mourinho won the league before.

Martial scored last week but trust me, he will have off games again. And people will still make excuses for him. It’s the same with Luke Shaw and to a lesser extent, Herrera and Smalling. It’s like some of our fans don’t want us to win the league or something.
Clueless

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Not true, how many creative final pass has Mata or even Lingard made this season? Your arguement is without facts and I had urged @Damien to provide us with facts. Not taking into account all the set piece Mata gets to take.
No point in arguing with Jay. Stats doesn't mean a thing according to him. Doesn't matter that Martial has been one of the most clinical players from all attacking players at the top six clubs (only Sterling matches him), or that he has an excellent relationship with our striker Lukaku (they've combined most from our players to score). Even in terms of his "eyes" look at Martial's crossing (not posted these stats in this thread including a few clips so you can judge for yourself). Easily could have had at least a couple more assists over the last month alone.

Jay thinks Joe Hart "wouldn't look out of place" at a top club when he can't even start for West Ham. I've got better things to spend my time on and I'd suggest you not bother try to change his mind either as he won't. He's entitled to his opinion and that is fair enough.

Greck

The quicker everyone learns not to engage jaybomb on this topic, the better.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
The fawning people have over the opinions of club legends on here is beyond bizarre - Especially when you consider they contradict themselves most of the time. Should we get Roy Keane and Eric Cantona to weigh in as well?

Neville is a decent pundit but does talk a bit of shite. Scholes is an atrocious pundit who talks nothing but shite.

I'm glad I don't need to be told how to feel about players by pundits. Thankfully I can see for myself that Martial has been pretty fecking brilliant as of late. Comfortably been our best forward this season - Although Jesse will push him close if he maintains his form. The pair seem to be forming a lovely understanding too along with Lukaku and Pogba.

Only United fans could ridicule their best young players so often - Last year he was underwhelming but he's improved immensely. Give the guy a break.

kotha

Last edited:

cyberman

I've noticed Arsenal fans have this little thing for Martial when they link themselves with a move every so often.
Is it because he's French? It used to be Benzema but I see why that's died a death.

Bjerring

I've noticed Arsenal fans have this little thing for Martial when they link themselves with a move every so often.
Is it because he's French? It used to be Benzema but I see why that's died a death.
They do, one of my buddies, whos an Arsenal supporter linked the story to me, said he'd love to have him play for Arsenal.

A top french forward with similar traits to Henry, can see the lovestory for them.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I think it's part because he's French and another part because people think Mourinho is mismanaging him and Arsene Wenger would do a better job. I don't necessarily agree with that but it's what I've heard from many friends who support Arsenal.

Damien

Staff
I think it's part because he's French and another part because people think Mourinho is mismanaging him and Arsene Wenger would do a better job. I don't necessarily agree with that but it's what I've heard from many friends who support Arsenal.
Same reasoning with Spurs fans wanting to sign him in exchange for Rose.

Damien

Staff
Same reasoning with Spurs fans wanting to sign him in exchange for Rose.
On Spurs forum right now:

Seriously, if United get Sanchez then we should be all over Martial. He’s being ruined there. I’d even consider putting Rose in the deal.
Rose is worth about the same as Martial. £25m for Sessengon. I know it’s all too simple, but I think it should at least be attempted.
Feck off, Rose isn't worth about the same as Martial.

Bojan11

Arsenal and Spurs can get fecked.

Ruined? They clearly haven’t watched him this season.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
3rd year in a row he's done that to Stoke! Similar goals.

luke511

If I could've put a bet on Martial scoring a finesse shot into the top right corner v Stoke tonight I would've put my house on it :lol:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
That's 2 goals from outside the box in 2 games isn't it? Lovely strike.

Status
Not open for further replies.