g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Anthony Martial image 9

Anthony Martial France flag

2017-18 Performances

View full 2017-18 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobbs

Anyway. Moving on: I think he'll play against West Ham on Sunday.
Didnyou think that when tonight's XI was named or after the game?

Because if he was starting on Sunday I don't see any good reason for him not starting tonight. Maybe the poor performance of a few gives him a chance but I don't think he was in Mourinho's original plan for the opener.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Doesn't come on.....big deal. Martial is my biggest disappointment at the moment. The brilliance of the lad but when given the opportunity doesn't take it. He will have 'moments' but so does Lingard and whilst Tony's ceiling might be higher, that rarely translates consistently when asked.
This is a typically BS post about Martial when Mourinho fails to give him a fair chance.

I mean I called it few pages ago and here we go again. Mourinho fails to give the kid a chance to play and you have poster jumping with this narrative about Martial not doing anything and all those other nonsenses to justify Jose's silly decisions.

Based on his pre season he should have given a fair crack in this final and predictably under Mourinho he didn't then comes the typical "Martial doesn't take his chances" arguments out of thin air. People will repeat this over and over like gospel until they pass it as truth. How predictable.

Sylar

IMO he should have come on, at least around 78 or so mark. Give him some good time to try and make an impact (think it would have given him nearly 20 minutes). We should have gone for it. Losing 2-1 is the same as losing 3-1 but really pushing for that equaliser. A loss is a loss at the end of the day.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Lingard should never play over Martial, I really like Mourinho but he needs to be a bit more brave.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
And the worse thing is that had Martial put on some of the performances by today's outfield players, we would have had to wait until December to see the lad again when Mourinho would simply give the other another chance straight away.

Litch

This is a typically BS post about Martial when Mourinho fails to give him a fair chance.

I mean I called it few pages ago and here we go again. Mourinho fails to give the kid a chance to play and you have poster jumping with this narrative about Martial not doing anything and all those other nonsenses to justify Jose's silly decisions.

Based on his pre season he should have given a fair crack in this final and predictably under Mourinho he didn't then comes the typical "Martial doesn't take his chances" arguments out of thin air. People will repeat this over and over like gospel until they pass it as truth. How predictable.
Hold on, whether predictable or not still doesn't mean you are right either. It's an opinion and not fact or science. Fact is for whatever reason, Jose didn't play him. In my opinion, I always feel he's struggling with not following what Jose wants from him. I don't think he's the right fit for Jose and needs a manager that will allow him to be a bit of free spirit.

MDFC Manager

It's probably for the best that we're unable to sign another flair player. Because Mourinho will rot him on the bench too:rolleyes:

Gbenger

What happened in the match against Real Madrid only reinforces the fact that him not starting in preseason was certainly due to the issue of Mourinho not rating him contrary to it being meaningless or to the falsehood people claimed. Even Matic (that most people didn't expect to start due to not having a preseason) played all 90 mins because he's obviously an integral player FFS

How much more proof do you folks need?

He really should move on for his own sake and I hope Mourinho gets a good replacement because Lingard on the wing just isn't gonna cut it honestly.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Just let him leave and sign the exceptionally average Perisic. We know Jose wants to do it. Then we can all enjoy an average player putting in a bunch of average crosses while we blame Martial for not taking his chances or some such bollocks.

Jose has handled Martial appallingly. I'd love to see how the resident Jose brown nosers spin this into a Jose master class.

Red_toad

It's probably for the best that we're unable to sign another flair player. Because Mourinho will rot him on the bench too:rolleyes:
Same Manager who had Hazard, Ronaldo, Ozil, Kaka, Sneijder and Deco to name a very few of the flair players he's utilsed with great effect during his managerial career.
Stupid performance thread for a player who didn't play and is somehow the saviour of our team, as it's all everyone elses fault that he hasn't played consistently well for a year.
Love Martial as a player, but people are just getting silly and the season hasn't even started.

RooneyLegend

What happened in the match against Real Madrid only reinforces the fact that him not starting in preseason was certainly due to the issue of Mourinho not rating him contrary to it being meaningless or to the falsehood people claimed. Even Matic (that most people didn't expect to start due to not having a preseason) played all 90 mins because he's obviously an integral player FFS

How much more proof do you folks need?

He really should move on for his own sake and I hope Mourinho gets a good replacement because Lingard on the wing just isn't gonna cut it honestly.
it's pure delusion, obviously Mou doesn't rate the lad. Now the same group of people who though we had a potential superstar on our hands are quick to label him this, that and the third. The Mou defenders actually shock me, what has he done to warrant this level of adulation and trust? Finish 6th and a couple of second rate trophies?
Just let him leave and sign the exceptionally average Perisic. We know Jose wants to do it. Then we can all enjoy an average player putting in a bunch of average crosses while we blame Martial for not taking his chances or some such bollocks.

Jose has handled Martial appallingly. I'd love to see how the resident Jose brown nosers spin this into a Jose master class.
That's the direction we're heading to and i'm surprised inter haven't tried to get us to give them money with Martial for Perisic.

mad1max954

early doors but I fear for martial. It's insulting having lingard further up the pecking order. He needs to play or he won't become the player he should be!

redIndianDevil

Same Manager who had Hazard, Ronaldo, Ozil, Kaka, Sneijder and Deco to name a very few of the flair players he's utilsed with great effect during his managerial career.
Stupid performance thread for a player who didn't play and is somehow the saviour of our team, as it's all everyone elses fault that he hasn't played consistently well for a year.
Love Martial as a player, but people are just getting silly and the season hasn't even started.
LOL. Didn't you see what happened at Chelsea? Hazard was the main reason Mourinho(who had a legendary status with Chelsea fans) got fired. You know what started the break in their relationship, Mourinho criticized Hazard for not tracking back enough against Atletico Madrid in a CL tie. He also had a row with Ronaldo in his final Real Madrid season, he never utilized Kaka, he replaced him with Ozil.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Anyway. Moving on: I think he'll play against West Ham on Sunday.
As do I, we won't need someone who excels at tracking back against them. My main concern for our left side is that it is our more defensive one, which limits what Martial can do as Blind and Darmian offer no offensive support often leaving him isolated. Hope Shaw can force his way back into Mourinho's plans when fit.

SirAF

Ageist
it's pure delusion, obviously Mou doesn't rate the lad. Now the same group of people who though we had a potential superstar on our hands are quick to label him this, that and the third. The Mou defenders actually shock me, what has he done to warrant this level of adulation and trust? Finish 6th and a couple of second rate trophies?

That's the direction we're heading to and i'm surprised inter haven't tried to get us to give them money with Martial for Perisic.
:lol:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
As do I, we won't need someone who excels at tracking back against them. My main concern for our left side is that it is our more defensive one, which limits what Martial can do as Blind and Darmian offer no offensive support often leaving him isolated. Hope Shaw can force his way back into Mourinho's plans when fit.
If they're still playing Antonio at RB then you can bet that Lingard will play. Last season we went with Lingard against him, if I remember right, because Rashford got bullied by him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
LOL. Didn't you see what happened at Chelsea? Hazard was the main reason Mourinho(who had a legendary status with Chelsea fans) got fired. You know what started the break in their relationship, Mourinho criticized Hazard for not tracking back enough against Atletico Madrid in a CL tie. He also had a row with Ronaldo in his final Real Madrid season, he never utilized Kaka, he replaced him with Ozil.
After criticizing Hazard against Atletico, Jose won the league next season and Hazard won the player of the year. Jose was fired as he was ass to many players and staff in his final season and lost everyone's trust, nothing to do with Hazard's tracking back.

roonster09

Scout
And the worse thing is that had Martial put on some of the performances by today's outfield players, we would have had to wait until December to see the lad again when Mourinho would simply give the other another chance straight away.
Last season in the league:
Rashford: 1702 mins
Mata: 1626 mins
Martial: 1560 mins
Lingard: 1366 mins
Mkhitaryan: 1349 mins

Overall:
Rashford: 3068 mins
Mata: 2739 mins
Mkhitaryan: 2544 mins
Martial: 2517 mins
Lingard: 2208 mins

Last season Martial didn't play as much as I expected but still all attacking players played more or less same mins.

fellaini's barber

I don't think Martial is as good as many on here make him out to be, but I don't see any reason why the likes of Lingard and Mkhi should be getting more chances than him despite putting in those kind of performances like yesterday. None

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't think Martial is as good as many on here make him out to be, but I don't see any reason why the likes of Lingard and Mkhi should be getting more chances than him despite putting in those kind of performances like yesterday. None
He might not be as good but I'm convinced he's our best chance of breaking teams down, even of when we're playing like turd.
Mourinho keeps demanding consistency from him. How can he be consistent when he doesn't get a run of games?
Losing patience with Mourinho over this issue. It's not even like our attack is great.
What's painful for me is that, If Martial was playing under Guardiola, he'd be tearing shit up. i'm convinced of it.

Hawks2008

Discraceful that Lingard keeps starting ahead of him. At least put Mkhi on the left, he played there a lot in his last season at Dortmund.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He should probably ask to leave if he wants any chance of going to next year's World Cup. He has by far the shortest string of the other attacking players in our squad. The likes of Rashford and Lingard seem to have the longest.

Decomposing In Paris

Have I missed something or didn't we play a back 3 last night?

Are guys really saying Martial should have started at left wingback?

If not, are you suggesting that he should have started instead of Mkhitaryan (who's been good in preseason), Lukaku (£75m, needed to start and score, and did)...

Or are you arguing that he should have come on for Herrera (Fellani did well, and was a good tactical move), or Rashford (who should have scored due to his movement).

Horses for courses guys, Jose obviously felt we'd cope better against the best team in the world with 3 at the back and wingbacks. We lost by one goal (potentially offside) and had some very good chances of our own to score. He's going to play plenty of games this season, and if he shows what he's capable of, will be starting big games in the near future (this wasn't a big game).

shield

If not, are you suggesting that he should have started instead of Mkhitaryan (who's been good in preseason), Lukaku (£75m, needed to start and score, and did)...

Or are you arguing that he should have come on for Herrera (Fellani did well, and was a good tactical move), or Rashford (who should have scored due to his movement).

Horses for courses guys, Jose obviously felt we'd cope better against the best team in the world with 3 at the back and wingbacks. We lost by one goal (potentially offside) and had some very good chances of our own to score. He's going to play plenty of games this season, and if he shows what he's capable of, will be starting big games in the near future (this wasn't a big game).
I think people are suggesting that he should have started ahead of Lingard.

roonster09

Scout

Exactly. Lingard started as LWB and people here moan about Lingard starting ahead of Martial.

Trequartistry

If he doesn't start on Sunday, there's 100% something wrong between him and Mourinho. After watching Mkhitaryan, Rashford and Lingard produce a performance like that, you'd be insane not to pick Martial (the most talented and probably best out of the 3).

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Last season Martial didn't play as much as I expected but still all attacking players played more or less same mins.
Problem is a lot of his minutes came at the start of the season and never got a consistent run-in since. He never started 3+ consecutive games from October onwards.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Only player capable of providing that bit of magic and he is benched by the 'hardworking' Lingard. Clearly Jose hasn't learned anything from the KDB farce. Consistency can only be achieved when given chances.

Lingard and Rashford get away with so many poor performances but when Martial has a bad game, he is benched for months. He will leave the club in January and that will come back to bite us.

Couldn't spot any 'hardworking' 'back tracking' wingers in the real madrid side last night. Maybe they were more focused on doing what they were supposed to do.

roonster09

Scout
Problem is a lot of his minutes came at the start of the season and never got a consistent run-in since. He never started 3+ consecutive games from October onwards.
He started 6 consecutive league games from April 23rd to May 17th. Started all 3 FA cup games and he was injured against Chelsea.

He should play even more games but people are way OTT when they talk about Martial lack of mins.

Siorac

Exactly. Lingard started as LWB and people here moan about Lingard starting ahead of Martial.
Because Lingard was predictably awful and we got utterly dominated when he was on the pitch. We looked better once an actual attacker was introduced instead of him and we changed our shape.

roonster09

Scout
Because Lingard was predictably awful and we got utterly dominated when he was on the pitch. We looked better once an actual attacker was introduced instead of him and we changed our shape.
That has nothing to do with Martial can't play as LWB.

Lingard was picked ahead of Blind and once it wasn't working he was subbed out.

Gbenger

Then it was a stupid system because we got totally outplayed with very little hope of scoring.
The fact that we only got better after shifting to a back 4 proves it and even managed to scored a goal reenforces the fact that we never neeeded the back 3.

Actually it could be argued that Jose certainly wanted to play Lingard and used 3 at the back to accommodate him as LWB probably because he has realized that Lingard is not good enough offensively to be part of a front three.

Siorac

That has nothing to do with Martial can't play as LWB.

Lingard was picked ahead of Blind and once it wasn't working he was subbed out.
And he was replaced by Rashford. Who can't play as an LWB either. So maybe, just maybe, it was a stupid idea to start with Lingard who is also not an LWB, by the way.

And all that STILL doesn't explain why Martial wasn't given 10 minutes at the end to try and do something when we were a goal down and had a sub left.

roonster09

Scout
And he was replaced by Rashford. Who can't play as an LWB either. So maybe, just maybe, it was a stupid idea to start with Lingard who is also not an LWB, by the way.

And all that STILL doesn't explain why Martial wasn't given 10 minutes at the end to try and do something when we were a goal down and had a sub left.
Rashford didn't play as LWB. If the plan is to play 3-5-2 then it would be stupid idea to play Martial ahead of Lingard as Martial can't play as LWB.

It was stupid idea to start Lingard but it would have been even more stupid to play Martial as Wing back. If the plan was to play 4 at the back then yes, Martial should start as LW every single time.

Status
Not open for further replies.