Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Looking like Jose single biggest mistake was dropping him for Sanchez, something that really has set us back about 8 months

Devil may care

Should have gotten a second but overall a very good performance, he won us the penalty and his finish for our second was top drawer.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I know people like to pit Martial and Alexis against one another, but I believe they could form an excellent understanding with Pogba. It didn't work last time because Martial was shunted to the right where we all know he's bad. If we keep Martial on the left and maybe use Alexis centrally or on the right (or Martial centrally), I think we'd benefit from it greatly.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
He's the most United player we have at the club. SAF would have loved him. He's easily my favourite player behind De God.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
The Caf told me he was shite :confused:
Anyone calling him shite is clueless, the quality was always there but he's a bit Nani esque in that he can be unplayable and pub level between games.

Bear in mind I would take a Nani level player on our right wing without a second though, Nani was excellent in his prime.

Andersons Dietician

I knew as soon as he struck it. He's got that shot perfected!

I would have actually bet a lot of money on him scoring that!
He seems to score a few from that sort of area. I seem to recall last season a very similar goal from a pass from Pogba. Might even have been against Everton. We I think do need to see more of him and have the team play as it did today getting the ball to him quicker. He possibly is the most talented player we have, it’s between him and Pogba.

SteveW

Looking like Jose single biggest mistake was dropping him for Sanchez, something that really has set us back about 8 months
It was obvious at the time and is still obvious.

He's keeping him in a job he doesn't deserve.

Sanchez7

I know people like to pit Martial and Alexis against one another, but I believe they could form an excellent understanding with Pogba. It didn't work last time because Martial was shunted to the right where we all know he's bad. If we keep Martial on the left and maybe use Alexis centrally or on the right (or Martial centrally), I think we'd benefit from it greatly.
Definitely. I would love to see today's team with Sanchez upfront instead of Rashford.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
He's scored more goals for United than anyone since he got here. He has come to grips with Jose's shortcomings and regained his mojo it seems, says a lot about his character.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
He's the most United player we have at the club. SAF would have loved him. He's easily my favourite player behind De God.
Can you imagine him with Sir Alex? Would be a superstar by now.

OldTrevil

They always had a great understanding. Mou just stopped that momentum dead with Sanchez coming in.
True but they still need to iron out a couple of things, I feel Martial needs to find Pogba more sometimes. Probably to do more with the former's decision-making with the final ball which will grow especially given his age.

redIndianDevil

Excellent game. But I don't understand why he wasn't up the field from 70 mins onwards, only Lukaku and Pogba were up and he was playing as an auxiliary left back and so deep, we wasted that period IMO. Martial has already shown us he causes more damage in the dying moments of the game last year. There was acres of space for him to exploit instead of tracking sEamus coleman.

Raven

Martial FC :rolleyes: The notion that Martial was anything but a world class talent was scandalous. This is the season where he reaches world class levels I think.

Cathy Ferguson

I would like to try Martial-Sanchez-Rashford/Lingard for a couple of games. Rashford is not really a No 9 and Lukaku does not deserve to start.

snk123

If we only managed to swap him for Willian...
People berate Ed on his handling of transfers but if Mourinho had his way, Martial would be swapped for a 30 year old Willian and would be killing it in an attacking team. If news are to be believed, then it was the single biggest reason of mistrust among the manager and the CEO and the reason why Woodward doesn't trust Mourinho's judgement.

ErranMorad

Again the ability of Martial comes from him finding free space just off the centre where he can target on RB or RCB. He does this often but when made to play as a pure winger - he is holding too wide and to the touchline facing a RB and RCB that are in their best positions- this leads to him finding it hard to struggle - or as the manager wants; crossing to be the only option from anyone out wide.
I think that's very true. The absence of Lukaku helped us in that respect, I think. Otherwise I have noticed that when Lukaku is on the pitch Martial is always a little wider & tries crossing the ball way more than taking on the defense.

Silas

Think this is what most people who were looking forward to Alexis envisioned when we signed him. Shame it still hasn't really been tried properly.

Andersons Dietician

Can you imagine him with Sir Alex? Would be a superstar by now.
Mbappe who? He would be tho, I started thinking in the game I wonder how he’d do playing for Sarri or even as the 9 in Peps system. I think under Fergie and many others he’d be regarded a lot higher than what he is.

Canagel

I think that's very true. The absence of Lukaku helped us in that respect, I think. Otherwise I have noticed that when Lukaku is on the pitch Martial is always a little wider & tries crossing the ball way more than taking on the defense.
For a period from minute 70 onwards I forgot Martial was playing because he was being asked to track back too much. We had them on toast immediately after the 2-0 but he never got another run on them until the last chance at the end. It's frustrating because he shouldn't be playing on the touchline but rather inbetween the RB and RCB.

Jazz

People berate Ed on his handling of transfers but if Mourinho had his way, Martial would be swapped for a 30 year old Willian and would be killing it in an attacking team. If news are to be believed, then it was the single biggest reason of mistrust among the manager and the CEO and the reason why Woodward doesn't trust Mourinho's judgement.
Absolutely. Woodward is shite in football decisions, but here I'm very happy he stood firm on this. 100% right.
Now Ed needs to tie up that contract asap.

Aloysius's Back 3

Think this is what most people who were looking forward to Alexis envisioned when we signed him. Shame it still hasn't really been tried properly.
Yep play Sanchez or Martial as a false 9 with space in front of them. On the left of the false 9 play the remaining of martial or Sanchez whilst on the other side play Rashford or Lukaku.

We dont need wingers who simply cross the ball - we have fullbacks that can do that & if we want more of it; pop an extra CB in 352 and get them playing forward.

Jazz

Mbappe who? He would be tho, I started thinking in the game I wonder how he’d do playing for Sarri or even as the 9 in Peps system. I think under Fergie and many others he’d be regarded a lot higher than what he is.
I wondered how he would do with Sarri as well. Made me happy we didn't send him to Chelsea for Willian...:rolleyes:

snk123

Exactly. This is why we should not blame the Alexis signing but the refusal of the manager to use both Martial and Alexis together. Imagine Mata, Martial, Alexis and Pogba playing together. I don't think we've ever tried it or sadly will ever try it with Jose.

dove

One of the most talented players we have. He would be some player under attacking manager.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Definitely. I would love to see today's team with Sanchez upfront instead of Rashford.
I don't think he could do much worse than what Marcus produced today, granted! Either way, I hope we see them three starting from the off together at some point. If those three click we could be in for a treat.
If I remember correctly, I kinda accepted that he'd be our left sided forward but didn't envision us dropping Martial completely. I thought we'd maybe move him centrally and maybe give Lukaku a break or try him on the right.

I said this whilst he was at Arsenal and when we initially signed him but I thought - and still do think - that he could make the transition into a CM. He works hard defensively, is a creative player, can retain the ball when being pressed with his instantaneous 360 spins, and I do think he's smart enough to adapt. Granted, he gives the ball away a lot, but if he were to play as a CM I think he'd be a bit more cautious with his passing instead of trying to create something out of nothing everytime he has the ball like he does at the moment.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
:lol::lol::lol:

So instead of scouting a LW to take Martial's place, Woodward tells the current manager to make do with a previous manager's signing. LVG getting shafted here with Woodward getting the credit.

STYLOISRED

I see alot of compplains about his last 20 minutes performance but i don"t really blame him or Jose for that. it was obviois that Everton were better at that side of the pitch and Shaw was in need of help. I actually like that and i feel a better trust and understanding between Martial and Shaw would be very beneficial

snk123

:lol::lol::lol:

So instead of scouting a LW to take Martial's place, Woodward tells the current manager to make do with a previous manager's signing. LVG getting shafted here with Woodward getting the credit.
I don't understand what you're laughing at. I mentioned if news stories are to be believed which don't sound far fetched to be honest.

The Manchester United head coach and executive vice-chairman have not seen eye to eye over summer transfers and had different plans in mind for the France international, according to French outlet RMC. Woodward believes Martial will become a vital component at Old Trafford in the future, but Mourinho was ready to cash in on a player he does not believe wants to be at Old Trafford. Martial pushed for an exit but Woodward blocked all approaches for him.

After learning of his desire to leave, Mourinho was desperate to offload him and even set up swap deals with Chelsea for Willian and Spurs for Toby Alderweireld.

Mourinho asked Woodward to sell the winger so that he could raise funds for a new centre-back, but Woodward refused and has placed a huge new five-year contract in front of Martial in an attempt to keep him.
https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/27/jose-mourinho-and-ed-woodward-go-to-war-over-anthony-martial-7887961/

Status
Not open for further replies.