Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If he'd had a Pep or a Klopp or a Sarri these last 2 years, people would be talking about him in a similar light to Mbappe. Basically wasted 2 years of his career under Mourinho.

mancan92

Watch this get completely ignored, while the shit spewers call him "vile," and "detestable." Pathetic really, how desperate some posters are to criticize the bloke.
Sorry but the longer version is no different than the quote. It's just him defending himself just in long form

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He wasn't our best player and sanchez was a much better player , top 3 in league
Martial was arguably our most in form player at the time we signed Sanchez. He was shifted out to the right to accommodate him against Newcastle, when we lost 1-0, he played poorly, as he was out of position. He was then dropped & didn't start 2 games in a row for the rest of the season.

Mourinho handled it badly in my opinion.

Walters_19_MuFc

Can't stand this guy

What really took a long time was him getting it through his thick head that the squads most promising and gifted attacker deserved a solid run of games to play himself back into form. It's like Jose forgot about his form under LvG

Shame it took so long,Alexis doesn't ever deserve to start on the left over him again
Nothing to do with him having a run of games then? He chats so much shite.

E-mal

Martial has improved the defensive side of his game in recent weeks. I'm not sure how much credit Jose takes for this (if any) but long may it continue.

He seems to have a struck a chord with Pogba. When the pair of them of on top of their game, United are in an infinitely better football team.

I didn't believe Martial had it in him to perform in Jose system and I thought he would leave in the summer, but he seems to be adapting
Jose has no system, he is shite.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Alexis Sanchez is a perfectly fine signing if you don't insist on playing him as a hardworking winger because he isnt one. We have almost never tried playing Sanchez as a striker, and only a handful of time on the right.

4-4-2 with Lukaku and Sanchez up top, Martial on the left. 4-3-3 with Sanchez on the right and Martial on the left.

We have almost never played Sanchez and Martial together which completely boggles the mind. Surely Sanchez can do a better job than Mata on the right since he was actually good there for Barca.

As for Martial he has shown to be our best left sided attacker under Mourinho. I don't know about attacker in general because Lukaku and Lingard had many good periods last season as well.

Idxomer

That whole period right after Sanchez coming saw some of the weirdest decision Mourinho had taken since his arrival. It was one cock-up after another.

From moving Martial to the right after he was on a roll as a left attacker to the bust-up with Pogba and sidelining him in favor of McTominay, and then Rashford scored
a brace against Liverpool from the left wing and what Mourinho did next? Moved him to the right and played the under-performing Sanchez in his place against Sevilla.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
These are the quotes from the official website. Came here and see people dissecting a quote from the middle. :rolleyes:
Hence why the "is the United forum safe" thread was created. Most of this forum is still bitching after a win.

Eddy_JukeZ

Excellent strike for the goal.

He really has to score that 1vs1 though. Should have taken it sooner.

cyberman

No, you just took a lot of liberties with your interpretation. What I'm saying is Martial is playing basically the same way he always has, the difference is that Luke Shaw is now a consistent performer and Jose has completely exhausted his Sanchez option that should have never disrupted Martial to begin with. And now, Jose knowing he screwed up is trying to come up with a reasoning as if this was all part of his master plan and Martial is the one who screwed up taking too long to figure out the brilliant tactical improvements Mourinho was trying to teach him.
He's not playing the same way though. He's now scored 3 games in a row when he's hanging back from play. He's not switching off when not in possession and is anticipating the space a lot more. All of that v defences who were all sitting back and closing down as well.
Look at how he used to play. He'd wait out wide for the ball, slowly move forward and come alive as he approached the box.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
actually we have. Just the wrong way round.
I know we have that's why i said almost never :)

Its very strange to persist with Mata on the RW when Mourinho binned Mata at Chelsea. Give Martial and Sanchez a go together on each wing for an extended period and they should deliver. He even persisted with Lingard at RW as well. Mourinho has never wanted nimble/technical players on the wings, he want players that can attack with pace and trickery. What changed at United?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Unlike Martial, Sanchez has played plenty of games on the right and performed at a high level. And he wasn't and still isn't close to be our best player. In the end you need to think about the team not the individuals and we needed to improve the right side not the left.
I think Martial has that left-wing positon sewn up for now. So if Sanchez is intent on getting back into the first 11, he will need to displace Lukaku/Rashford from the strikers role - neither if which have looked particularly exciting this season - or Mata on the right, who has also failed to shine.

A fit and firing combination of Sanchez and Martial tearing it up on flanks is exciting.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
He's not playing the same way though. He's now scored 3 games in a row when he's hanging back from play. He's not switching off when not in possession and is anticipating the space a lot more. All of that v defences who were all sitting back and closing down as well.
Look at how he used to play. He'd wait out wide for the ball, slowly move forward and come alive as he approached the box.
Spot on. It appalling these JM haters cannot see the improvements in Martial's game that are beginning to make him undroppable, since he got the match fitness he missed out on in pre-season. It actually has nothing to do with getting a mere 'run of game's.....

Raven

He wasn't our best player and sanchez was a much better player , top 3 in league
Certainly our best player other than De Gea at that point last season. Sanchez most definitely was not top 3 in the league at that point. I won't lie, I was elated when Sanchez was signed, but the way Martial was pushed out of his position was disgraceful.

I know we have that's why i said almost never :)

Its very strange to persist with Mata on the RW when Mourinho binned Mata at Chelsea. Give Martial and Sanchez a go together on each wing for an extended period and they should deliver. He even persisted with Lingard at RW as well. Mourinho has never wanted nimble/technical players on the wings, he want players that can attack with pace and trickery. What changed at United?
TBF I get why Mata gets used on the right. It has constantly been proven false 7 is consistently his best role for United. Whilst all the others we use there are largely unserious there save for Lingard. Who is just ok there since he is naturally also centrally inclined. I often find it hilarious when right footers like Rashford and Martial suddenly turn to shit when shifted to their natural flanks and worse that the 'out of position' excuse is used to defend such nonsense from players that talented.

cyberman

Spot on. It appalling these JM haters cannot see the improvements in Martial's game that are beginning to make him undroppable, since he got the match fitness he missed out on in pre-season. It actually has nothing to do with getting a mere 'run of game's.....
Theres actual footage ( v Boro I think ) of Jose running to the sidelines everytime Martial got the ball yelling GO GO GO to attack from deep.
I suppose he still scores with the inside of his foot..

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I have to agree with those saying Martial is different this season. He put in some genuinely shambolic performances last season, but he has put in performances this season that reminded me of his first season, he was running at players in a way that made your eyes light up and his movement off the ball is like his first season as well.

A huge issue I had with Martial last season was how little he moved on the pitch, so often when he got on the ball the play would stop dead and he would just stand there and then lose the ball. He would also stand like a statue off the ball gesturing for a pass when there was space to run into behind the defence.

Martial is lightning quick and he should use that to the fullest, with his fantastic ball control adding pace to this means he can be a top top player.

Crashoutcassius

Sanchez was subpar for Arsenal last season and he wasn't even close to be top 3 in the league.
Did he not score like 40 goals or something the year before. He clearly wanted to leave arsenal was the narrative. Suggesting we shouldn't have signed him or should have shuffled him to the right so not to disturb martial is ridiculous and if it was said at the time then it was ridiculous

Also Martial's defensive game has consistently improved since JM arrived. Its his attacking that had started to become wanting. People are forgetting for example how in JM's first season he constantly run into people and cul de sacs whilst failing to dribble and losing the ball needlessly. Always wanting the ball into feet and refusing to attack space o and off the balll. Then last season he spent the last half un interested in playing well to such an extent that an ok talent like Lingard over took him in the XI. Hate the manager all you want but that was all on him.

Missing out on the world cup clearly focused him this season

Crashoutcassius

Amazing that I posted we were right to sign sanchez practically on a free and play him in his best position and I'm getting 10- 12 replies. I knownitnisnt popular but it is true is was the right decision at the time.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Mourinho shouldnt get an ounce of credit tbf. Martial was for the most part very good in the first half of last season, and then barely got a chance after Sanchez signed and Mourinho wanted him sold. Sanchez had to be complete trash for 9 months in order to Mourinho to give him another genuine run in the team, and hes essentially picking up where he left off on his last run in the side. Yes, of course Martial improved himself. Mainly due to him actually getting chances and not having a hopeless sub role.

mancan92

What is different about his play now compared to last season before Sanchez came?

Its the right decision at ANY time. Alexis is proven world class material. Passing over signing him would have been a morns prerogative. JM"s only mistake was not to introduce Alexis in a role that didn't break up the chemistry Pogba, Young, Lingard and Martial had set up on the left with Lukaku down the middle. He really should have used Alexis just behind Lukaku. For it fecked up our attacking chemistry and we haven't really been the same since

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Did he not score like 40 goals or something the year before. He clearly wanted to leave arsenal was the narrative. Suggesting we shouldn't have signed him or should have shuffled him to the right so not to disturb martial is ridiculous and if it was said at the time then it was ridiculous
Well I didn't made that point, I agreed with the purchase and already told you that. Now, we shouldn't act as if Sanchez was in form when we bought him, he was in the middle of an underwhelming season, he wasn't our best player and he wasn't top 3 in the league.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Amazing that I posted we were right to sign sanchez practically on a free and play him in his best position and I'm getting 10- 12 replies. I knownitnisnt popular but it is true is was the right decision at the time.
I agree with you it was the right decision to bring him in, I disagree with you about playing him in his best position when you already have an in-form player doing damage from there and a right wing where Sanchez has extensive experience in badly lacking.

Andersons Dietician

Also Martial's defensive game has consistently improved since JM arrived. Its his attacking that had started to become wanting. People are forgetting for example how in JM's first season he constantly run into people and cul de sacs whilst failing to dribble and losing the ball needlessly. Always wanting the ball into feet and refusing to attack space o and off the balll. Then last season he spent the last half un interested in playing well to such an extent that an ok talent like Lingard over took him in the XI. Hate the manager all you want but that was all on him.

Missing out on the world cup clearly focused him this season
This will be one of those things that split opinion because he still does all these negative things you speak of and he has always gone back on defence. It just seems now some people seem to have become more aware of it. It’s nothing new, and I don’t think he has Improved that much since his first season here. His general use of the ball is probably improved but then something that comes with age. There has been no significant standout improvement, seems more like he is just getting back the confidence he had in that first season.

What is different about his play now compared to last season before Sanchez came?
He is attacking space more, He is better off the ball, he demands the ball whether its to feet or space. Forcing things to happen (i.e how he caused the pen). Before Alexis arrived he was just high on confidence. But he was not attacking space , always wanted the ball to feet waiting to receive it so that he could run at players.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I think there are some clear differences in his game, in his timing and his use of the ball, but nothing which justifies banishing him to the bench in favour of Sanchez, who has been nothing short of consistently poor bar 3 games.

This will be one of those things that split opinion because he still does all these negative things you speak of and he has always gone back on defence. It just seems now some people seem to have become more aware of it. It’s nothing new, and I don’t think he has Improved that much since his first season here. His general use of the ball is probably improved but then something that comes with age. There has been no significant standout improvement, seems more like he is just getting back the confidence he had in that first season.
In his first season he really had no clue defensively. He was just desire. Since JM arrived, every season his defensive positioning and tracking has got better. Yet people only notice it when he is on form and wrongly assume he has been getting less playing time because of it. Yet personally I find him just as useful as Rashford or Lingard when protecting his fullback unless he is just having a plain bad day. Its his attacking that was frustrating his efforts to play more

JK-27

What impressed me the most about Martial today was how, at the end of the game, he was genuinely upset about missing his opportunity for a hat-trick. Shows he's got a fire inside him, despite what he outwardly projects. I hope his form continues.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
In his first season he really had no clue defensively. He was just desire. Since JM arrived, every season his defensive positioning and tracking has got better. Yet people only notice it when he is on form and wrongly assume he has been getting less playing time because of it. Yet personally I find him just as useful as Rashford or Lingard when protecting his fullback unless he is just having a plain bad day. Its his attacking that was frustrating his efforts to play more
Yeah, that improvement was significant between his first and second season. It was also fairly early in the season, preseason work with Mourinho probably played a big role but also a natural development for a young player.

Yeah, that improvement was significant between his first and second season. It was also fairly early in the season, preseason work with Mourinho probably played a big role but also a natural development for a young player.
indeed. I'm happy for him. I hope the next development for him will be the ability to play all along the front line ala a RVP, Neymar or Mbappe

Status
Not open for further replies.