5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

deafepl

Lingard is no slouch either. What are you smoking?
I mean in of the balls he possessed is on another level compared to Rashford and Lingard technically. Lingard and Rashford just can't run around defence like that with balls, only they're good at is off the movement but on the balls, they lack killer instinct and don't know how to use balls effectively. Dybala, Messi, Neymar, Costa, Hazard, Mbappe, Sterling, Sane, etc is the type of technical winger we should replace them with.

meamth

I mean in of the balls he possessed is on another level compared to Rashford and Lingard technically. Lingard and Rashford just can't run around defence like that with balls, only they're good at is off the movement but on the balls, they lack killer instinct and don't know how to use balls effectively. Dybala, Messi, Neymar, Costa, Hazard, Mbappe, Sterling, Sane, etc is the type of technical winger we should replace them with.
Lingard scored many solo dribble goals, that was brilliant technically. I truly believe that Lingard has far better quick passing than Martial when he is on form. Right now, not so much.

Martial is on form at the moment and when Lingard is on point, we can truly compare their final 3rd influence.

Ashley R1+O

You can see the shot of confidence the goals has given him, he's applying himself a lot more now in every phase. He will be a better player as a result and he can enjoy the spoils of the team winning a crucial game!

InfiniteBoredom

He's been marked by two or even three men in games for a long time now. Tells you something about his perceived quality by the oppositions and unperceived quality by some of our supporters.
This is the thing doing my head in back then.

Literally every groups of opposition fans told us they fear Martial and he’s our most dangerous attacking player. Yet somehow listen to the Caf and you’d believe that he’s one trick pony who can’t do anything besides cut inside and have a terrible attitude.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
His best display of the season. Constant threat, great end produce and huge work without the ball. Just give him what Alexis is on, he’s never going to sign for less, Do it woody!

JohnnyKills

You can see the shot of confidence the goals has given him, he's applying himself a lot more now in every phase. He will be a better player as a result and he can enjoy the spoils of the team winning a crucial game!
He should certainly take confidence from last night. He really came into it in the latter stages. Before that he looked a bit timid.

Off-the-ball movement still needs to improve massively - still feels like he's only giving 70% and you're screaming at him to make runs when the play's developing on the other side of the pitch. But his quality on the ball is outstanding.

UncleBob

His best display of the season. Constant threat, great end produce and huge work without the ball. Just give him what Alexis is on, he’s never going to sign for less, Do it woody!
:lol:

He could sign for half of that and still be one of the best paid players at the club

Rossa

That dribble and acceleration to leave Cuadrado and that other Juventus player in the dust was pure class. His counter before Rashford bottled it was also majestic. He just carries the ball at speed so much better than anyone in our team. Good to see him disciplined and on the front foot defensively as well.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Was quiet for a lot of the game in attack but was putting in a great shift anyway, which is really good to see. Came alive in the last 10 and was an inspiration to the team.

There's still work to be done, he's capable of a lot more. I want to see a game soon where he just destroys an opposition and everyone is talking about him. The signs are good though, for Martial and the team as a whole.

Rossa

I actually wonder if he needs to make more of a meal about being tackled. Look at how Hazard goes to ground every time a fly buzzes around him. He rolls around and squeals like an 8 year old girl (actually disrespecting 8 year old girls here). What happens is that the ref is quick to give out yellows to the defenders. Martial was constantly kicked and fouled yesterday, but he just gets back up and continues playing. Both Khedira and De Sciglio would have gotten yellows if Martial had been more theatrical.

Now, I want players to act like Martial does, but to me it looks like defenders are more or less instructed to take him out with soft fouls. When on a yellow, they know that have to cut that out and thus allow him more space, like Hazard gets.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I actually wonder if he needs to make more of a meal about being tackled. Look at how Hazard goes to ground every time a fly buzzes around him. He rolls around and squeals like an 8 year old girl (actually disrespecting 8 year old girls here). What happens is that the ref is quick to give out yellows to the defenders. Martial was constantly kicked and fouled yesterday, but he just gets back up and continues playing. Both Khedira and De Sciglio would have gotten yellows if Martial had been more theatrical.

Now, I want players to act like Martial does, but to me it looks like defenders are more or less instructed to take him out with soft fouls. When on a yellow, they know that have to cut that out and thus allow him more space, like Hazard gets.
Not sure what that ref was on last night. They committed so many "tactical" fouls when we were getting opportunities to break. The ref didn't clamp down on them and only started brandishing yellows when we committed the fouls. Brown envelopes probably involved.

Greck

This Martial FC, how does one join? Long time believer and I deserve, no, demand to start eating good

UncleBob

Yes but if you are his agent, how do you credibly agree to take less than Alexis?
Easily. Martial is nowhere near the point where he can expect the sort of wages that more established players are on. If Tony consistently performs well over a long period of time, then he'll gradually increase his wages, but we're still at a point where he has barely established himself as a player under Mourinho, things can very easily go tits up again.

People need to calm down.

Rossa

Not sure what that ref was on last night. They committed so many "tactical" fouls when we were getting opportunities to break. The ref didn't clamp down on them and only started brandishing yellows when we committed the fouls. Brown envelopes probably involved.
Yeah, I noticed that too. I was genuinly surprised when the ref, after careful and lengthy considerations, gave Sandro a yellow for the stamp on Young. The ref looked like he was about to brandish a red card to Matic for his yellow, the way he ran into Matic' face. De Sciglio commited two fouls on Martial within two minutes, but not a single comment from the ref. Khedira had several fouls and stopped a counter, nothing given. Not to mention the 50-50s that always went to Juventus.

Handré1990

That dribble and acceleration to leave Cuadrado and that other Juventus player in the dust was pure class. His counter before Rashford bottled it was also majestic. He just carries the ball at speed so much better than anyone in our team. Good to see him disciplined and on the front foot defensively as well.
I was saying this to my mate at the pub yesterday, he didn’t even use any trickery at the end there, just navigated through the Juventus players at speed, with the ball glued to his feet. Delicious! A natural baller.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We have only one player like him. It's a shame. The top teams have two/three players with his ability to take players on.

Trizy

This Martial FC, how does one join? Long time believer and I deserve, no, demand to start eating good
Hunger strike until he scores or has a MOTM performance. You'll be fat within a week, we're eating good alllllllll the time :drool:

Slevs

likes to play with penises
50 million down the drain
As Tony Martial scores again

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Love him but just wish he would develop his off the ball movement more, so frustrating to watch sometimes. The amount of times he went behind Shaw to get the ball or just hung out on the touchline waiting for it. Make runs on the outside and inside of the full back to mix it up for gods sake Tony! If he added that I really think he can be on the level of the top wide forwards in the world.

EyeInTheSky

Love him but just wish he would develop his off the ball movement more, so frustrating to watch sometimes. The amount of times he went behind Shaw to get the ball or just hung out on the touchline waiting for it. Make runs on the outside and inside of the full back to mix it up for gods sake Tony! If he added that I really think he can be on the level of the top wide forwards in the world.
If he adds that to his game then it would be scary. One of the only facets missing in his attacking play. He loved to carry the ball in those areas though so it would take some adjustment.

acnumber9

My point is that Alexis’ deal distorts every subsequent negotiation, including Martial and Degea
It’s not a particularly good point though. It doesn’t affect their value to other clubs. So he can demand £300,000 a week all he wants. He’s not getting that anywhere and the fact remains that if it’s about money he’s likely to get more at Utd than anywhere else.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It’s not a particularly good point though. It doesn’t affect their value to other clubs. So he can demand £300,000 a week all he wants. He’s not getting that anywhere and the fact remains that if it’s about money he’s likely to get more at Utd than anywhere else.
You are very naive if you think big contracts given to new signings don’t heavily influence renewal negotiations with existing players. It’s called “wage structure” and it’s quite well known.

acnumber9

You are very naive if you think big contracts given to new signings don’t heavily influence renewal negotiations with existing players. It’s called “wage structure” and it’s quite well known.
Not if they’re asking for way above market value. There’s no leverage if they can’t get the same money elsewhere.

Jeffthered

A frustrating player. Has much potential, if he really gets to know his game, and what he is good at, and what he is not so good at.. because he isn't good at everything. I still feel he is trying to work that out, and this is a little worrying because he has been been at United, Monaco, Lyon (B).

He seems to still, not understand how to be that effective player over 90 mins.

He is scoring goals, which is the key for him.. he arrived scoring goals, and we looked at him as a No 9. I still feel this is where he should try and develop, his all round game. Has pace, power... he should be a frightening player, and yet..... he rarely is. Why is that? Part him, part Mourinho I think... I really hope this is changing.

He needs to improve his left foot... learn to go outside of his man, consistently... lead the attacking aspect of United's game, and be that reliable focal point. Set the tempo for the game.. not for 15/20 mins... but week in week out.. (like Zaha for Palace...) that's where he has to develop.

I still am not sure whether he is clear on how he should play. Is he an explosive player (like Mane at Liverpool for example....), or a ball-player-come-sometimes-goes-past-people...

Martial could be fantastic... but he needs more of an identity, as what we can expect from him for 90 mins, every week. We still, haven't quite got there yet... but things are looking better. If he cannot get confidence from how things are going now, then I do wonder.

But NO.. he is not a £400k a week (or even close to it....) player. He wants anything like that, he can jog on as far as I'm concerned. Score 20+ goals in a season. Then do it again. Then we can start talking.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
This. Even if we offer him half what Sanchez makes it’s still going to be considerably more than what he would make in open market.

Status
Not open for further replies.