Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
They'll be back. Won't be long before we start hearing this "natural #9" bollocks again.
Laugh at how many times I've heard bollocks from pundits on how we lack a #9 and they'd still go and get Kane. Martial has been brilliant in 2020 and has been far better than Kane this entire season. Not a chance I'd take Kane over him, it's just classic bias and stuck on stereo types ignoring how Martial actually plays.

TrustInOle

Yep. Still remember how a few of us were saying it was going to be a De Bruyne situation on our hands if Mourinho had his way, and more and more people were siding with Mourinho over time. Look at him now.
Exactly this. Soundly becoming an all rounded centre forward. Nothing he is bad at really. That header against Chelsea, for example, was straight out of the Drogba book.

RedCurry

His work rate post covid is quite wonderful to see. Greenwood will rightly take all the limelight but apart from the finish, his goal was completely down to Martial.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
His work rate post covid is quite wonderful to see. Greenwood will rightly take all the limelight but apart from the finish, his goal was completely down to Martial.
Well the finish was the hardest part to pull off.

meamth

His improvement is obvious, legit no.9 for United. The main question is, can Martial be as good as Henry?

I would be disappointed if he didn't reach that level, nevermind Ballon D'or level.

RedCurry

Well the finish was the hardest part to pull off.
That’s why I said he was rightly in the limelight. But what isn’t being highlighted is that we scored that goal from a clearance that Martial held up and released Greenwood and still had to get all the way up to provide the opportunity for the one-two and occupy one of the two defenders. Without Martial we would never even be in that position. This is the type of effort Firmino is constantly lauded for.

acnumber9

His improvement is obvious, legit no.9 for United. The main question is, can Martial be as good as Henry?

I would be disappointed if he didn't reach that level, nevermind Ballon D'or level.
Prepare for a disappointment.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
That’s why I said he was rightly in the limelight. But what isn’t being highlighted is that we scored that goal from a clearance that Martial held up and released Greenwood and still had to get all the way up to provide the opportunity for the one-two and occupy one of the two defenders. Without Martial we would never even be in that position. This is the type of effort Firmino is constantly lauded for.
True.

There was another counter where Martial held the ball earlier and started the counter but unfortunately Bruno didn't have his passing game last night and overhit the final pass. Would have put Martial through on goal.

Today's performance was just missing a goal from him which I felt he'd have gotten had he not got subbed.

RedCurry

True.

There was another counter where Martial held the ball earlier and started the counter but unfortunately Bruno didn't have his passing game last night and overhit the final pass. Would have put Martial through on goal.

Today's performance was just missing a goal from him which I felt he'd have gotten had he not got subbed.
Yeah I think he was let down by Bruno on multiple occasions today. Unlucky that he hit the bar with that thundershot.

RC89

Excellent game today. Shame he didn't get his goal and hope doesn't get too down about it (seems a confidence player) and just uses it to fire him up for next game.

Really turning into a great striker for us. His hold up has gotten so much better and his runs too.

Could easily be MOTM but think Pogba shades it for me.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yep. Still remember how a few of us were saying it was going to be a De Bruyne situation on our hands if Mourinho had his way, and more and more people were siding with Mourinho over time. Look at him now.
& then look at José. I'll never understand how United fans agreed with him at the time.

Lj82

There was one instance earlier in the game when he got out-muscled by Mings and I thought this would be a long night for Martial. But he won the crucial physical battle for Greenwood's goal later on. I like that in the sense that Tony did not get intimidated or disheartened and kept trying

yan man utd

True.

He was rightly disappointed to be subbed.. and you could see his hunger when he was watching from the bench. He is proving that he has the technique, movement, team ethic and desire .. let’s enjoy sit back and enjoy!

RobbieBerns

Like others have said, deserves all the praise in the world for both his tenacity and work rate to constantly pressure all night long. His role in our second reminded me a lot of Rooney doing the grunt work in order to get the ball to Ronaldo in an area he can capitalize.

Unfortunate to have hit the crossbar on that chance in the second half, which once again came from him putting the work in and winning the ball back. Would be curious to see his takeaway numbers from tonight.

VictoriaRed

His work rate was outstanding today. No sulking (only when he was taken off), but he created Mason's goal with his work rate. If that gets better, this fella will be undroppable. Marcus was better today, but still a ways off (in terms of goal-scoring). Mason, wow, I was screaming at the tv when he scored! Martial will only get better and better if he works like he did today. Loved it!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ole has achieved what he wanted, before the season started he wanted everyone to work hard and you see how Martial has improved in that area. Also Bruno is the trigger and he is infectious, his work rate is insane and rubs people the right way to push themselves, sort of like Rooney at peak for us.

Next season we should expect him to score even more goals with more settled team.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Easy to quote the old posts too, people were like "lol, don't compare him to KdB" by completely missing the point.

Jose wanted striker who can hold the ball, link up play. He had perfect one in Martial but spent 75 million on Lukaku who is worse than Martial at link up play, hold up play and poor work rate too.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
& then look at José. I'll never understand how United fans agreed with him at the time.
Some were United fans, but there was a group that just seemed to be Mourinho fans more than anything, and they made a lot of noise at that time. I like that his passion and heart is getting noticed, he's definitely stepped it up, but I always felt he had heart ever since he stepped on the field for United, and the period he went through with Mourinho to eventually be, along with Pogba, the one keeping him at his job a few extra more months than he should have been shows just how much heart and determination he's had. He's putting it together, he's finally settled at the position he always saw himself play in, he's still only 24 with plenty of development and growth left ahead of him. I'm really excited about the rest of his season and his potential Euro 2021 appearance with France, I think he will show far more on the national side as well.

Runaway Sue

Ole has achieved what he wanted, before the season started he wanted everyone to work hard and you see how Martial has improved in that area. Also Bruno is the trigger and he is infectious, his work rate is insane and rubs people the right way to push themselves, sort of like Rooney at peak for us.

Next season we should expect him to score even more goals with more settled team.
Ole thought Lingard was better. Hence why he played him over Greenwood.

SambaBoy

I don't think so, looking at his trajectory, he is in the right path and environment to be as good as Henry.

Henry was an elite level striker, Martial can and should reach that level.
Henry is probably the best striker the PL has ever seen. Martial will do well to get into the top 10 the PL has ever seen.

Skeezix

Complete CF performance there. He was unlucky to hit the bar and post in one shot.
His runs and hold up is now top notch, bringing the likes of Rashford, Greenwood and Bruno into play. Meanwhile in Mourinho-land, the likes of Martial could have done wonders for their toothless attack.

flappyjay

It's the first time in his career that he has consistently played as a 9. He has done really well this season and will only continue to get better at the role.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Another quality performance. Lovely centre forward play on the second goal. Involved in the first as well. Does he get one assist for today or two?

InfiniteBoredom

Easy to quote the old posts too, people were like "lol, don't compare him to KdB" by completely missing the point.

Jose wanted striker who can hold the ball, link up play. He had perfect one in Martial but spent 75 million on Lukaku who is worse than Martial at link up play, hold up play and poor work rate too.
To be fair, Martial would struggle massively if he was to control the gazillion of long balls pumped his way with his back to goal as well, he’d have handled it better than Lukaku did, since he doesn’t fall down like a sack of potatoes all the time, but still a hard task nonetheless.

Which is one of the baffling things about the Mourinho-Lukaku thing. You’d have thought having coached him for a while and shelling out that much on him, Mourinho would know the latter is rubbish at that sort of game.

Mr Smith

Weird towards the end of the game that Drury and Beglin were constructing this idea that he was unhappy to be subbed because of his goal competition with Rashford, even to the point that they were joking Martial didn't want Rashford to take the free kick. It's such bollocks. Martial didn't want to come off because he felt Villa were there for the taking and he wants to increase his own goal tally, not because he's trying to beat his teammate's record.

Fracture90

Actually love that when he was going to get subbed he basically walked as far away as he could and tried to ignore it. Ole in the background signalling him to come off like he’s telling his kid it’s time to get out the ball pit, loved it.

Unlucky not to score today but his all round play was excellent. Might be wrong but he won us possesion back a few times did he not.
That was hilarious :D

Squeaky Bumtime

It was so strange to read all those negative comments about him in a matchday thread. First 20, 25 minutes the whole team was naff, yet Martial got the majority of the blame it seems. He was again very good yesterday, worked his ass off, constantly on the move, passing, creating plays, its never just stand there and wait for the ball with him. Proper modern striker.
How he won the ball, started the counder and then beautifuly assisted Greenwood for the goal was just fantastic. The amount of criticism he faces is still baffling to me.
We should be just happy to have him. Not to mention he's so hungry for more, cause he was upset being subbed.

Fracture90

I like the link up and understanding of each other's game that's developing between our front 3. Nowadays more often than not our forward players are looking to bring in others in game instead just letting one go from anywhere on the pitch.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is not proper no9. :lol: :lol:
How that sounds silly now. Not that just he is scoring, he is involved in all our attacks. When i said that he is top no9, people laughed. Doesn't work much and shit like that.
Are there still people who doubt that he is not true United no9?

#MartialFC

Web of Bissaka

Weird towards the end of the game that Drury and Beglin were constructing this idea that he was unhappy to be subbed because of his goal competition with Rashford, even to the point that they were joking Martial didn't want Rashford to take the free kick. It's such bollocks. Martial didn't want to come off because he felt Villa were there for the taking and he wants to increase his own goal tally, not because he's trying to beat his teammate's record.
Yeap. Rubbish commentaries.. but to be fair they are just giving their opinions.. a rubbish delusional one at that.

Martial have also been feeding Rashford with good "assists-potential" passes, no way that's a competition.

Agree that Martial looks pissed because he is on fire that game and almost score, play longer and he could've score. He's disappointed with himself and I'm sure also with Ole for not giving him more times. I can't agree with Ole this time with how he's managing Martial. Not the first time he takes out Martial late game and often let Rashford stay longer even if he performed badly. Then again maybe that's tough-love treatment.

Martial is our main #9 but he's not really being treated that way if I'm being honest.

Let him score one to get the momentum and confidence ongoing, only then sub him out.

macheda14

Yeap. Rubbish commentaries.. but to be fair they are just giving their opinions.. a rubbish delusional one at that.

Martial have also been feeding Rashford with good "assists-potential" passes, no way that's a competition.

Agree that Martial looks pissed because he is on fire that game and almost score, play longer and he could've score. He's disappointed with himself and I'm sure also with Ole for not giving him more times. I can't agree with Ole this time with how he's managing Martial. Not the first time he takes out Martial late game and often let Rashford stay longer even if he performed badly. Then again maybe that's tough-love treatment.

Martial is our main #9 but he's not really being treated that way if I'm being honest.

Let him score one to get the momentum and confidence ongoing, only then sub him out.
He’s taking Martial off to rest him, whilst keeping on Rashford to try and play him into form. Martial had been one of the better performers since we’ve been back, but Rashford has been quite poor.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Bizarre thinking. There was nothing wrong in Ole subbing off Martial after 75mins when we are 3-0 up considering our schedule in the next few weeks. Stop creating imaginary situations where they're not. Ole is managing Martial perfectly.

Raven

Martial is our most important attacker, it's crucial that he's at full fitness for the remainder of our matches if we want top 3/4. I would have loved to see him stay on longer and bag a goal but we're playing lots of games and he needs to be fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.