6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

UnitedChampionsAgain

Very cool finish but can't score a penalty. Dozing for too much of the game and will never be the predator type we need. Should score a few though, in between injuries.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
We are. Am pretty confident we would have at least 6 more points by now if he had not been injured.

Not to bash Rashford or anything, but Martial is clearly the more talented of the two
Not sure if it's a talent thing or a positional thing. For years managers have been playing Rashford as CF and Martial on the LW when they look so much more comfortable the other way round. It's less pressure of a goal burden for Rashford and Martial is more hungrier when he plays there.

Credit where it's due to Ole for solving this.

KennyBurner

\
Best forward at the club and it isn't close. Not much competition tbf
there was never any doubt and Ole knows this. It’s just a shame he was out so long. It’s really ruined our season. 7 points off 4th but we can still catch up If pogba gets back quickly.

he also isn’t fully fit.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What a top performance.

Just proves how much we rely and need him. His hold up play and ability to turn and run at the defence is so vital.

Shame about the penalty but his goal was lovely, the sort of link up play we expect from them. So glad he’s back

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
This is his season.

Stadjer

Did he run enough? Was his body language positive? I couldnt watch the game and body language, running enough and looking like he cares are the things to judge him on. Right?

Idxomer

His 1st touch from Maguire long ball in the buildup to the 2nd goal shows why we missed him badly the last couple of months.

Yagami

Good post resistant
We lost so much control when he went off.

Honestly, for the entire time he was on, we were in control, and straight after he came off - against a team with 10 men and a crippled GK - we looked so disjointed.

Superunknown

Our attack looks so much better with him in it, and I also think that Rashford plays better alongside him, too.

Rashford - Martial - James as a front three is going to be interesting. Hope we get more opportunities to try this out this season. Need to keep all three fit from this point on.

Raven

We are. Am pretty confident we would have at least 6 more points by now if he had not been injured.

Not to bash Rashford or anything, but Martial is clearly the more talented of the two
Having someone who can actually hold the ball up and knit things together is so valuable, without him were a counter attacking team.

Walters_19_MuFc

His link up play is superb. Always available for someone to play off and the difference was very evident today. Shame he missed his penalty, but his goal was brilliant. Again, providing that wall for Rashford to play off and linking very well.

Based Adnan

We look so much better with him at 9 than anyone else. Can ping a pass to him and then follow it up with full confidence he'll control and return. Can run the channels, beat a man 1v1, hold up play, run in behind and is a deadly finisher. Has everything you want from a 9.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Great in the first half. Faded a bit in the second, but still had a few moments of class.

Martial just makes such a huge difference to our team. He's the only striker we've got who is able to hold the ball and lay it off, and such a simple thing then allows the entire team to get on the front foot instead of just instantly losing it and being put under pressure again. Combine that with his passing ability in tight spaces, and the fact that Rashford is then able to move over to the left instead of being isolated up front, and his fitness and form are going to be arguably the most important factors for our entire season.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
His 1st touch from Maguire long ball in the buildup to the 2nd goal shows why we missed him badly the last couple of months.
This here too me is why he's so vital in our play. Normally that's the sort of play that would not have gone anywhere because the striker would have failed to hold up play or done something to bring the other players into play.

Martial was calm with a deft touch, calmly control- pass the ball to James and the attack continues which led to James putting in a great ball for Rashford.

That's the sort of things he brings to our attack. Oke also mentioned the importance of his hold up play. We needed a focal point of attack calm and technical enough to handle that role which Martial does well.

Glad he's getting sharper quicker than I expected.

Kostov

Let him just stay fit ffs. The guy is quality and always has been, and it seems Rashford and James play better alongside him in the attack.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
In the quotes above from Ole, I'm glad he can see Martial can be used as a target man.

His hold up play is brilliant. He's so strong on the ball. One of our only players who are consistent at resisting pressing opposition.
I remember when he broke through his hold up play was ace and he looked a very natural number 9 in the making. Hopefully he's rediscovering that.

SteveW

He's been terrific this season. fecking typical that he missed 2 fecking months. Last thing we needed.

What a finish!

Yagami

Good post resistant
I remember when he broke through his hold up play was ace and he looked a very natural number 9 in the making. Hopefully he's rediscovering that.
The way he uses his body to resist pressing opposition, and his ability to dribble in tight spaces really remind me of Aguero.

criticalanalysis

We lost so much control when he went off.

Honestly, for the entire time he was on, we were in control, and straight after he came off - against a team with 10 men and a crippled GK - we looked so disjointed.
Yup agree but I'd also blame that on Ole as well. Most of the 2nd half, we were 2nd best and totally lost the flow of the game. No change of tactics or touch line coaching apart from when Fred lost he ball and all he could mouth was 'calm down'.

There was a good 10 minutes of play before that where the momentum was all in their favour and he just sits back watching the game develop like a spectator :/

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Apparently Solskjær has a 77% win rate with Martial in the team compared to 29% without him, that’s absolutely mental.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yup agree but I'd also blame that on Ole as well. Most of the 2nd half, we were 2nd best and totally lost the flow of the game. No change of tactics or touch line coaching apart from when Fred lost he ball and all he could mouth was 'calm down'.

There was a good 10 minutes of play before that where the momentum was all in their favour and he just sits back watching the game develop like a spectator :/
It was a bit like the Wolves game.

In both of them we were completely dominant in the first half, and then coasted throughout the second. Thankfully today we had a two goal lead already so we weren't as nervy. We really need to address the problem of us switching off when taking the lead.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
His link up play with Rashford is so good. When both of them starts we look so much better.

Martial had very good game overall.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Apparently Solskjær has a 77% win rate with Martial in the team compared to 29% without him, that’s absolutely mental.
I posted this at the start of this month:
Martial is no world beater but he's vital to this team that has such minimal goal threat, dribbling ability and creativity from other players.

Our PL record since start of last season:

Played 46 Won 21 (46%) Drawn 12 (26%) Lost 13 (28%)

With Martial starting:

Played 21 Won 12 (57%) Drawn 4 (19%) Lost 5 (24%)

Without Martial starting:

Played 25 Won 9 (36%) Drawn 8 (32%) Lost 8 (32%)

He also started only 4/12 games against last season's bottom 6.

Yes, i'm bored.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Not sure if it just the small sample size but his hold-up play has been really good this season. It makes a big difference to the attack giving Rashford and James something to run off of.

OldTrevil

Excellent finish and great link up play for his goal today.He's been our best CF since his first season, just got derailed by Jose, thankfully he's back on track now.

Stadjer

Can’t believe some people actually wanted this guy to be sold. :lol:
One bad game and the people will want him gone and will say : not a 9, doesnt run enough, bad body language and will come to the conclusion that he needs to be sold.

Last edited:
His goal reminded me of his goal against West Ham away in LVG’s last season, such a smooth finish from an extremely tight angle!

Santoryo

ripping the reward
One bad game and he people will want him gone and will say : not a 9, doesnt run enough, bad body language and will come to the conclusion that he needs to be sold.
You wish. One okay game from him and detractors will be flocking here in full force spouting their usual drivel and nonsense.

I mean these guys were up his throat after an 8 minutes quiet cameo against Liverpool last week :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.