Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Today's third goal shows how the front 3 should be aligned.

Play Rashford/James as a LCF, not a LW.

Play Greenwood/James as a RCF, not a RW.

Let two wide strikers play in a partnership. These should not be inverted wingers because we don't have a striker who plays to use chances that way centrally - we are actually capable of playing much more fluid but if we play more compact and close together.

Let Martial play deeper as a false 9 in between 2 wider centre forwards to create trouble for the defence by dribbling at them but also interlinking the two forwards together. The two CF's will have more chances because they can create chances by playing off each other aswell as martial.

This is what we should have been doing for far too long now. Even if a player like memphis comes back, it makes sense to play deeper in a false 9 position alternating with Martial.

Devil81

Fantastic today, hopefully, he keeps this up and doesn't have many of those games where he switches off.

lumeyes

His 1st touch from Maguire long ball in the buildup to the 2nd goal shows why we missed him badly the last couple of months.
Glad you noticed that. We've been missing that good first touch during counter attack since his injury. In my opinion he needs a better coaching, more willingness to improve in certain areas and a better play maker behind/around him and he will be a top player. I have no doubt about that. I am still pissed that after his excellent first season as a CF, someone concluded he was better playing wide

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I want more from him because I know he's capable of better. Needs to be scoring that penalty and that header he missed from 4 yards out from that Rashford flick from the corner.

Positive signs nonetheless.

jackal&hyde

Told you he was going to make a huge difference. The front 3 of Rashford, Martial and James is good; just next to no depth if one gets injured.

jackal&hyde

Statman Dave:
"Manchester United have won 77% of their league games under Ole Gunnar Solskjær when Anthony Martial has started, compared to 29% when he hasn’t."

Goes to show how important he is to us but also that we need a second striker to buy in January as back up.

tjb

Told you he was going to make a huge difference. The front 3 of Rashford, Martial and James is good; just next to no depth if one gets injured.
I don't trust their consistency or quality against top opposition. I would at the very least sign a right winger ( or one who is good in both flanks) and a back up striker (competition for martial). We also still need an attacking midfielder( to replace pogba) and a central midfielder/cdm to play alongside mctominay.

jackal&hyde

I don't trust their consistency or quality against top opposition. I would at the very least sign a right winger ( or one who is good in both flanks) and a back up striker (competition for martial). We also still need an attacking midfielder( to replace pogba) and a central midfielder/cdm to play alongside mctominay.
They are all still very young with loads of room to improve but we definitely need to strengthen here as one single injury leaves us fairly weak due to very poor strength in depth. When they are fit though, we are a big danger to anyone.

caid

Buy competition. They have none in this squad. Any 3 of them get injured and its a fair step down in quality.

RedStarUnited

They are all still very young with loads of room to improve but we definitely need to strengthen here as one single injury leaves us fairly weak due to very poor strength in depth. When they are fit though, we are a big danger to anyone.
Martial is 24 in just over a months time. He is not very young.

SmallCaine

Today's third goal shows how the front 3 should be aligned.

Play Rashford/James as a LCF, not a LW.

Play Greenwood/James as a RCF, not a RW.

Let two wide strikers play in a partnership. These should not be inverted wingers because we don't have a striker who plays to use chances that way centrally - we are actually capable of playing much more fluid but if we play more compact and close together.

Let Martial play deeper as a false 9 in between 2 wider centre forwards to create trouble for the defence by dribbling at them but also interlinking the two forwards together. The two CF's will have more chances because they can create chances by playing off each other aswell as martial.

This is what we should have been doing for far too long now. Even if a player like memphis comes back, it makes sense to play deeper in a false 9 position alternating with Martial.
If both the wide men play upfront who tracks back mark opposition fb's? That would leave us very open in defense given we play 2 man midfields.

Also the idea of having any of james, rashford or greenwood playing ahead of martial would be disastrous for the attack, the biggest problem with rashford as our no 9 is he can't play like a normal no 9, he wants the ball and will go deep to get it. This in turn allows opponent defenders to play higher up, thus basically congesting the field for all our forwards. From what i have seen of greenwood, he too does the same and james doesn't really have any holdup skills.

Martial if you watch him doesn't do that, he stays upfront playing off the shoulder thus making sure the defenders can't push higher up, which gives the wingers and especially the no 10 and our midfield a bit more space to work with. Our biggest problem right now is that martial is the only proper striker in the team, we need atleast another proper no 9, not a false 9.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He either starts or not play at all imo. Hardly impacts games as a sub and he needs time to grow into the game.
Completely disagree.

Under Mourinho, where he was mainly limited to sub appearances, he impacted the game more often than not which lead to most of us wanting him to get a prolonged run in the team.

People are basing too much off this game and the Liverpool one. Both against tough opponents, both he was introduced in when we were defending and rarely seeing the ball, and he's still only just returned from a long inury.

More often than not, as a sub, during his time here, he's mainly had a positive impact when introduced

el3mel

Completely disagree.

Under Mourinho, where he was mainly limited to sub appearances, he impacted the game more often than not which lead to most of us wanting him to get a prolonged run in the team.

People are basing too much off this game and the Liverpool one. Both against tough opponents, both he was introduced in when we were defending and rarely seeing the ball, and he's still only just returned from a long inury.

More often than not, as a sub, during his time here, he's mainly had a positive impact when introduced
Maybe an early sub to give him time to grow into the game but putting him for the last 10 minutes or so, don't think he'll get time to make an impact. He's not the type of runner like Rashford, different play style, so I think he needs to be put on earlier imo.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Linked up well with Andreas when both came on. Good cameo imo and could have scored himself

Walters_19_MuFc

Took a while to get going but showed some good link up play and had a few decent runs.

Did anyone see his reaction to Rashford's goal? :lol::lol:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Thought he did alright. If that shot had come off it would've been a blinder.

Not sure about that. More like he wasn't playing well as a sub so some people were demanding he be given a run.

Sylar

Well... We've won all games since he returned
And are now scoring more than one goal a game

UnitedChampionsAgain

Would like to see him press the defenders when he comes on. Jogs around making it easy for them to play out, the one thing Rashford does better than him.

mav_9me

Hold up was good.
Agree, when he came on we gained some more control up top relieving the pressure on the defence.

Not the game to criticise him.
Couldn't agree more. They never ended up bombarding us as I expected, huge part due to us keeping the ball in their half for a few minutes and Martial played a key role in that. Also with his hold up play being so much better than basically anyone else as a 9; the ball doesn't just bounce off him to the oppo for them to come right back at us. Also McT and Fred were able to break up their attacks fairly well in the last 10 minutes or so.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I was worried for Martial when he was drifting under Jose. Watching him this season you’re thinking that he really could get to world class level if he stays fit.

He’s unbelievably talented and he’s made to play for at the top level. So much better not having to cover the whole left side in 4-2-3-1 as well.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Like all our players overhyped as soon as they do anything remotely good

God awful and so bad that a bang average defender like Ake barely broke sweat all game

marktan

He always strikes me as really lazy, just jogging around the field doing everything half arsed.

I don't think he's ever going to blossom into a top striker, he just lacks a lot of the attributes other top players have, like runs in behind, heading, runs for crosses and to an extent his hold up play.

Someone like King for instance is more useful as a striker due to their physicality. Martial works against teams like Liverpool that push up and leave space, but against the weaker teams a RVP, RVN, Rooney etc he is not.

Ace of Spades

Very anonymous, and a bit lazy at times with being offside.

That being said, I think he should have got that pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.