Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Here we go again, the hyperbole is at large again. Still clearly our best outfield player in Pogba's absence, a drop in form isn't going to change that.
In terms of talent? Clearly, but for some reason he seems very reluctant to apply himself and his injury record is pretty shite as well. His best ever season for us was his first with 11 goals in 31 apps (In the league)

His glimpses of utter brilliance hides the fact that he is also incredibly inconsistent. One of the most over hyped United players in recent times

InfiniteBoredom

His muscle injuries are verging on chronic now. Either the club get him to take up yoga like Giggs did, get him diagnosed for a thorough treatment, whatever it takes for him to actually maintain his fitness or we have to part ways. I’m a big fan of his but him becoming a perennial sick note doesn’t benefit any party.

We have to look into our medical team. Our players always seem to have a lot of injuries or fitness problem (fat, carrying too much muscles etc). We used to get an annual injury crisis in the defence under Fergie but I don’t recall having anything close to the frequency of these injuries nowadays.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
There is no much detail about his injury, I think he will still be available against Spurs, hopefully. If not please start Greenwood.

Judas

Open to offers
Injured again! What a surprise. This is why we'll never be able to rely on him, if he's not injured he's going through one his many patches of form where it looks like he'd rather be anywhere else but a football pitch.

So much talent and promise, which makes it even more frustrating.

Macca7

We seriously need to upgrade to someone like Haaling who almost guarantees goals. Martial is inconsistent, regularly injured and just doesn't seem to have the fight in him. He's had enough seasons now and hasn't improved at all.

Alabaster Codify7

If any major team can be fooled into thinking he's top class we should sell. They'll find out soon enough that they've overpaid for a pretty good but inconsistent sicknote.

theklr

I think, that when he have these kind of games like against Villa, he probably is feeling something in his legs that make him less mobile and then get some muscle injury afterwards.

If i remember correctly that is what happened the last game he played before he got injured.

Anyway, as other has said, we need a new striker in January to compensate for this!

Too many of our players get injured for it to be a coincidence. The medical team needs replacing.

Jonno

He's not good enough to be our main striker to take this team back to the top. His form is too patchy, he gets injured a lot, and his attitude is poor.

Such a shame because none of the above is in relation to talent.

We need a peak, top bracket striker and I haven't seen one since Van Persie.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
He has scored one more goal that Greenwood. A player in his debut season.

Oldham

Injured again!!!
What the hell is wrong with the players?
I for one think this is bad news as he's clearly our best striker.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Rooney24

As much as I like him and as talented as he is, we cant rely on him. He either needs to get and stay fit or we should look to off load in the summer.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah, and all the other papers are reporting based on that report.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...sive-interview-with-united-review-v-tottenham This came out yesterday from the club and says "hes expected to start" so.
Also Manchester evening news journalists mentioned Martial in their predicted line up, which was posted today.

Also menionted
Solskjaer made no reference to the forward, who has three league goals in nine appearances this season, when discussing injured players in his pre-match press conference on Tuesday morning. Paul Pogba has been ruled out and the Norwegian said it will be 'touch and go' to see if Scott McTominay and Nemanja Matic are fit although MEN Sport understands the former should be okay to face his former manager.
Hopefully it's just bs article from Sky.

EireRed_GS

After his last performance im almost glad he might sit this one out. Greenwood up top please.

wouldnt be surprised if he got a grilling after that last game and has taken an notion to be injured.. if that recent interview with Daniel Taylor is anything to go by :rolleyes: .. Seems he takes notions to just not be bothered at times

Rajma

I truly believed he can go up a level this season but it does seem he actually can't be bothered or doesn't have enough intelligence about him during games when it comes to movement and tenacity. Should be a bench player next season and if he's unhappy sell him to the highest bidder in the summer.

Uniteddy

Not specific to Martial, our injury issues might run deeper. The medical staff, physios, sports scientists at the club all went to essentially the same courses and have same knowledge as those at other clubs.

I think some of this is due to our position in the table. These players have basically nothing to play for, we are not going to win the league or finish top 4, we are not going to get relegated.

It is common knowledge that professional sports people regularly play through minor niggles and pain when there is something on the line. For example at Liverpool now, you will rush back in case you lose your starting place, miss out on points for the team, you miss the thrill of every game being part of a title hunt. The physios would have to hold you back.

But if you are Man United player now, why would you do that? You might be more inclined to take 4 weeks recovery, when really you could be back in 2. Or just sit out a game if you have a sniffle of a cold!

Sure what will you miss out on?! Another underwhelming draw/loss where your reputation takes a hit, the risk recurrence of injury, your value dropping in eyes of other clubs. The incentive to come back from injury or play through pain just isn't there.

This will impact some players more than others, Rashford maybe the opposite and he will carry on through pain. But as a whole motivation within the squad must be low and that just makes it more likely that players sit out more games.

Reactions: Invictus

Trex

my opinion on tony martial as a centre forward,he is obviously not an out and out striker,his partnership with rashford this season reminds me of ronaldo-benzema partnership(not referring to its efficiency but style) i have been very eager to see pogba come back from his injury and play behind him i think you won't get the best out of him until you have a proper midfielder behind in which he can link up with(a good example is the uel game were mata played behind him their link up was sublime)and the central midfielders need to dominate,he is an artistic,flair player that likes control so suffers more than the likes of james and rashford when his side doesnt dominate either way he is not yet at the level were he shouldnt have competition for his place in starting 11 so signing another striker should be among united priorities

EireRed_GS

I truly believed he can go up a level this season but it does seem he actually can't be bothered or doesn't have enough intelligence about him during games when it comes to movement and tenacity. Should be a bench player next season and if he's unhappy sell him to the highest bidder in the summer.
Agreed, After getting the no.9 back and now being our no.1 starting striker, i expected more. Alot more. He seems in a comfort zone, and i dont think someone pushing to take his spot would even motivate him. He nearly looks like hes being forced to play football at times.

I think you can guarantee if we sign an out and out goal scorer, Haaland etc, Martial will drop to the bench, have a cry and be gone pretty soon after

DRM

Didnt Mou have concerns about his mentality? I'm starting to think maybe he was right.

The Red Thinker

Right when we needed him the most, his glass legs let the team down. Ole might not survive if he is walloped against Spurs and City.

BlueHaze

You can't get any sort of consistency with this guy. He's in and out, hot and cold far too often. My opinion is that we should simply sell him. There would be lots of clubs interested and we could get a decent fee. Get someone like Haaland, Werner and put them up front with Rashford on the left. I've run out of patience with Martial. He'll never deliver what we expect of him here.

Alabaster Codify7

Ole felt confident putting all of our goal-scoring pressures on this fairweather talent, Rashford (neither of them had hit 20 goals a season previously, but were being put forward as our main men) and a 17yr old kid.

That is on him. No other manager would have considered those options sufficient, especially knowing how ridiculously poor our injury record is at this club.

I would get shot in the summer. Someone will likely pay £60m or more for him, even with his inconsistencies - get Haaland in. I'm confident Haaland would hit the ground running and immediately provide a more reliable striking option.

El Zoido

Very talented guy. Shame we can't rely on him. Maybe he'd flourish in a bit slower league.
Is he really that talented though? I think it’s overstated. For me he’s nothing special, too injury prone, too inconsistent. The best teams have a great striker (Aguero, Mane/Salah, Kane, Vardy), it’s no surprise these teams have been the best in recent years, and in fact you can track the overall form of these teams by how often these players are injured or underperform (the answer is “never” in Liverpool’s case, and look at them). And you can even see that our form improves when we have Martial in the side - and he’s not even all that. A player of the calibre of Kane or Vardy would make an enormous difference to us.

AshRK

Initial report will say it's a small niggle. Then he won't be talked about for weeks, and the next time we'll see him it'll be late February.
And in his absence Martial FC supporters will bring 20 stats of how important he is and how he is the second coming of Pele. Getting a bit frustrating now.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
The least surprising thing in the universe.

He always gets injured after a run of games. It seems we either have to play him once every two weeks or use him as a sub for 20min a game. Clearly being a professional footballer is a bit too much for him.

432JuanMata

Do people still see this lad as a player to take us back to the top ? If we are to be challenging for the league in future our striker will have to be scoring 25+ in all comps or it’s not good enough. I just don’t see him ever doing that

DamoK

Do people still see this lad as a player to take us back to the top ? If we are to be challenging for the league in future our striker will have to be scoring 25+ in all comps or it’s not good enough. I just don’t see him ever doing that
I think he's a top player all right, he's just very injury prone so we can't rely on him. He'd have to start 25 games a season first before he gets those numbers.

kopviolator

Is he really that talented though? I think it’s overstated. For me he’s nothing special, too injury prone, too inconsistent. The best teams have a great striker (Aguero, Mane/Salah, Kane, Vardy), it’s no surprise these teams have been the best in recent years, and in fact you can track the overall form of these teams by how often these players are injured or underperform (the answer is “never” in Liverpool’s case, and look at them). And you can even see that our form improves when we have Martial in the side - and he’s not even all that. A player of the calibre of Kane or Vardy would make an enormous difference to us.
I don't think it's overstated at all to say he's talented although some clearly go overboard in their praise. He clearly has very good dribbling skills and quick feet. He has a way about him that can make it difficult for defenders to read his movement and he has decent conversion rate as well. But you are right, he's not proved himself to be a great striker or a great player for that matter however I feel this has a lot more to do with the mental and physical side of his game than lack of talents.

Status
Not open for further replies.