6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedIan

Has a big fan club but far far to injury prone for my tastes. On his day he can be brilliant, just doesnt have enough days when hes on it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Honestly what is going on with our health team? How does this keep happening.
Could be Martial is generally injury probe. We need to bolster our attack so we aren't too reliant on him as an outlet.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I would agree if it wasn't for half our squad always being out aswell.
Who else is out really? Just Pogba and Matic from what I can see, and they will likely be moved on themselves.

KennyBurner

I would agree if it wasn't for half our squad always being out aswell.
Wishing him a speedy recovery. This was definitely the worst time to get injured with the festive fixtures. Ole has to be more transparent on how long he is out. I’m hoping at least after the city game he can feature. I think martial should also try to force the issue at this point because we don’t have the backup or quality needed to win most games.

Matt007a

He seems very prone to muscle injuries. If you spend your entire career stationary on the pitch, then your body is going to fail you when asked to put in a proper shift. I can't imagine him being a great trainer either which makes his injury record unsurprising.

mancan92

Who else is out really? Just Pogba and Matic from what I can see, and they will likely be moved on themselves.
Injuries is something we clearly struggle with and have done for several seasons. Rojo, Dalot, Bailly, TFM, McTom(Before this game) plus Matic and Pogba thats quite the list and it never really decreases.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Injuries is something we clearly struggle with and have done for several seasons. Rojo, Dalot, Bailly, TFM, McTom(Before this game) plus Matic and Pogba thats quite the list and it never really decreases.
Rojo,Bailly,Dalot,Mensah are quite injury prone to be fair. Them being out is hardly a shock.
Also,Pogba has slowly in the past 2 seasons now become quite prone to picking up niggles.
Matic is just old.

AWB,Maguire and James have accustomed themselves to Ole's reportedly rigorous training methods as have a few of the other players.

I think this goes beyond the training routine .
Think,once again, boils down to previous poor recruitment.

Wasn't Dalot coming back from a telling injury just before we brought him ?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
These are all fringe players, Bailey has been a crock since his ankle surgery. Most squads have a series of fringe injuries anyway. I think it's just more visible with us because our squad is so thin.

mancan92

These are all fringe players, Bailey has been a crock since his ankle surgery. Most squads have a series of fringe injuries anyway. I think it's just more visible with us because our squad is so thin.
I mean thats 8 first team players with Martial again now. Thats not normal and atleast 4 of those players are potentially first 11 its not like that in other teams.

DFreshKing

We are a much better team with movement from the centre forward (who knew) regardless of ability when the 9 has the ball. He really needs to show that desire and an understanding of the role if he is ever going to be a main player in a successful side. Quality to watch with the ball at his feet but an absolute travesty when it comes to off the ball movement.

OL29

We are a much better team with movement from the centre forward (who knew) regardless of ability when the 9 has the ball. He really needs to show that desire and an understanding of the role if he is ever going to be a main player in a successful side. Quality to watch with the ball at his feet but an absolute travesty when it comes to off the ball movement.
Ok but if this is true, why did we look so poor when Martial was last injured and Rashford was up top. There's a lot more to playing upfront than movement.

DFreshKing

Ok but if this is true, why did we look so poor when Martial was last injured and Rashford was up top. There's a lot more to playing upfront than movement.
Rashford isn't a 9 either (or at least not a top class one at this stage) Rashford also didn't play the 9 last night so not entirely sure what your point is other than a weak defense of Martial by avoiding my post's point and blaming some other player. Greenwood created a lot of space by intelligent movement. A really important part of a forwards role.

DoomSlayer

Happy birthday to Martial, don't think anyone has mentioned it here.

I hope he is ready for City but unfortunately he seems to be getting injury prone. If the buyout clause for Haaland is true, we should get him in January for sure.

flappyjay

A world class striker like Kane disappeared when his midfielders got dominated last night, it shows that strikers need proper service from their midfield or they stay anonymous.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I mean thats 8 first team players with Martial again now. Thats not normal and atleast 4 of those players are potentially first 11 its not like that in other teams.
I only make Pogba and Martial as long term. McTominay was a standard injury and he's back now. Dalot Bailey Rojo are fringe players likely to be offloaded or loaned if they don't perform soon enough.

I only make Pogba and Martial as long term. McTominay was a standard injury and he's back now. Dalot Bailey Rojo are fringe players likely to be offloaded or loaned if they don't perform soon enough.
you are right. Bar a few months of Rojo under Jose, none of those three players have ever brought anything to Utd, and quite frankly wouldn’t be missed if they never played for the club again.

Dalot clearly deserves time due to his inexperience and age, if he’s not got a long term injury he needs a loan to get game time.

DFreshKing

A world class striker like Kane disappeared when his midfielders got dominated last night, it shows that strikers need proper service from their midfield or they stay anonymous.
You are completely missing the point. Even with the greatest midfield how do they pass to a static striker? Of course we need a better midfield but it wouldn't help unless the striker is prepared to move around the pitch to find space and make passing lanes. I'm struggling to understand how anyone watching Martial would not see it is a big weakness in his game which he needs to improve a lot if he is going to make it as a top striker. Watch Kane's movement and see how it creates chances for Son, Ali and Ericksen, it is an important part of Spur's game.

Even a teenager playing in his first hand full of games has a better understanding of the position. Martial is a quality player with bags of ability but it will stay massively hindered unless he learns to move more, and more intelligently.

OL29

Rashford isn't a 9 either (or at least not a top class one at this stage) Rashford also didn't play the 9 last night so not entirely sure what your point is other than a weak defense of Martial by avoiding my post's point and blaming some other player. Greenwood created a lot of space by intelligent movement. A really important part of a forwards role.
My point was pretty obvious I thought, it’s like people forget how poor we were when he was injured earlier in the season, if his movement holds us back so much, why did our attack improve so much when he returned from injury? I just think his bigger issues are inconsistency and fitness, his lack of movement is overplayed, there’s more than one way to skin a cat.

tomaldinho1

There comes a point where fingers have to be pointed at our medical team if it's a reoccurrence of his previous injury, which Ole suggested. When Lingard had that ridiculous game of being a sub, coming on and reaggravating his injury and going off again Ole mentioned he'd got through the fitness tests, same for Pogba whose last game he was clearly crocked and then his injury seemed to get much worse, who is setting these tests?

I just wonder if we're a bit behind the times across the sports science/medical department because it's irrational that so many players are so injury prone. Aside from Jones, he's actually a crock.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Nah, it's been a problem for years and years now. Whenever I think of our injury woes, I was always think back to our Europa League final victory over Ajax where half our team were on the sidelines with crutches celebrating.

Shimo

As much as I think he is a great talent, getting to a point at 24, if he can't stay fit for long, he isn't going to progress and more so is going to be detrimental to the team.

We definitely need a good backup #9 in January at the very least and then in summer get direct replacement if he can't be relied on.

flappyjay

You are completely missing the point. Even with the greatest midfield how do they pass to a static striker? Of course we need a better midfield but it wouldn't help unless the striker is prepared to move around the pitch to find space and make passing lanes. I'm struggling to understand how anyone watching Martial would not see it is a big weakness in his game which he needs to improve a lot if he is going to make it as a top striker. Watch Kane's movement and see how it creates chances for Son, Ali and Ericksen, it is an important part of Spur's game.

Even a teenager playing in his first hand full of games has a better understanding of the position. Martial is a quality player with bags of ability but it will stay massively hindered unless he learns to move more, and more intelligently.
Then you are completely wiping the games where we don't look incompetent in midfield out your brain. This season when he has played as a striker he has come deep and opened up space for Rashford and James to play into whilst also creating goal scoring chances. Most of the criticism put on him is for the Sheffield game, where we got destroyed in midfield and the villa game. He should have done better on that one but we were still poor too.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
He would have done much better at Spurs, seeing as we were actually able to get the ball through our midfield in that game...

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
As much as I think he is a great talent, getting to a point at 24, if he can't stay fit for long, he isn't going to progress and more so is going to be detrimental to the team.

We definitely need a good backup #9 in January at the very least and then in summer get direct replacement if he can't be relied on.
Yeah I think he needs competition up top. Someone who Ole would happily play ahead of him if they’re performing better - that’s how players are made. And if not, they’re clearly not up to it and we’d hopefully have a 9 who is.

He'sRaldo

Game-winning goal from him. Just don't understand why he catches so much flak at times.

Raven

Martial was quality today no doubt we won't hear from the usual suspects today.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Quality. Just want him to really up his fitness like Rashford has. Once he does that, the niggling injuries will stop, and he'll up his consistency even more.

Superunknown

Was really an asset on the counter attack. We really lost that when Pereira came on for him. He’s not perfect but we don’t gain much throwing an attacking midfielder on for him.
I really complained at that sub. I would have just kept Martial on that point as he's a decent outlet to have up top, or at least someone who can keep hold of the ball.

Terrific goal from him today. Had to really thread that one to get it in past the keeper from there.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
That finish was tasty! :drool:

Worked hard today too. His desire gets questioned a lot. I have been one of those who questioned him. Can't question him today though.

More of the same please Tony.

meamth

Quality. Just want him to really up his fitness like Rashford has. Once he does that, the niggling injuries will stop, and he'll up his consistency even more.
Rashford work ethics is miles ahead of Martial.

At this rate, Rashford could surpass Martial.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The close control and ability to retain the ball under pressure is second to none at the club, he was patient in creating the opportunity for the goal. His runs off-the-ball were great as well. This thread will be missing quite a few people today.

izec

The goal was superb, on his weaker left as well. It was only going in like that, Ederson was close.

Status
Not open for further replies.