6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Based Adnan

Was not the issue yesterday. Linked up play very well throughout and should have had an assist if Lingard wasn't thick as shit. Last 30 mins when moved to the left he was dangerous. Not sure how anyone can look at his performance yesterday and think he was the issue. If the others played to his level yesterday we win that comfortably.

DoomSlayer

He was good yesterday, could have scored from that early chance, but it wasn't the easiest opportunity.

I want him and Rashford to swap positions more often when there is less space on the left, because Martial is better in those situation, whereas Rashford is better running the channels and staying onside, which is a problem Martial regularly has.

Red_toad

Was not the issue yesterday. Linked up play very well throughout and should have had an assist if Lingard wasn't thick as shit. Last 30 mins when moved to the left he was dangerous. Not sure how anyone can look at his performance yesterday and think he was the issue. If the others played to his level yesterday we win that comfortably.
His issue is he doesn't play like a striker, he needs to be the focal point of th eteam.. He for me just looks a better player on the left (as does Rashford), he needs a partner up top, which would allow him to roam.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
He was the better one of the horrible bunch, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that he did well. He was getting left in offside all the time, for one and overall was pretty lackluster.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Greenwood needs to start over James. James is dead at RW now and we need a goalscorer on the left and right for Martial to work centrally.

NewGlory

Greenwood needs to start over James. James is dead at RW now and we need a goalscorer on the left and right for Martial to work centrally.
Greenwood is a CF, he is not a great flank player. We need to play 4-4-2 with Greenwood up top and Martial as the supporting CF, if we want to get the most out of both.

Lynty

Swap Greenwood for James and you lose width and pressure. He needs to stay in rotation.

What Martial needs is a strike partner. If your going to play with 1 center forward, either he has to be something special or you have to have technically good players around him. Martial isn't something special and the only technically good player we have has been out injured for 3 months.

Honestly, Ole's biggest mistake is not switching to a 4-4-2. We only had 2 (half decent) midfielders, neither of them create, we have no real number 10s. Jus tthrow on all your attacking players like we did against Sheffield

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Greenwood is a CF, he is not a great flank player. We need to play 4-4-2 with Greenwood up top and Martial as the supporting CF, if we want to get the most out of both.
Greenwood can play well on the right. James is good but not a productive player.

Bebestation

Greenwood can play well on the right. James is good but not a productive player.
Neither do I think Rashford should be playing aggressively on the left against a team that sit back either.

A 4312

Rashford & Greenwood
That splits wider when recieveing the ball in to flanks. Martial in the middle in deeper positions try to interlink the front 2 and get forward after doing so. Pogba the furthest forward out of Fred & Mctomminay. AWB has to provide width but crosses are not important because we have strikers that are more capable of creating chance amongst themselves and centrally than playing off crosses too.

That makes sense to me until window opens anyway.

NewGlory

Maybe he can in under 23s. I haven't seen Greenwood play well in the senior squad for any position other than advanced CF. As for James, may I remind you that James was a top scorer as a RW, in the beginning of the campaign? Why is nobody asking - what happened? Why has he not scored for so long?

During his entire tenure at United, Pogba's best plays have been starting attacks from deep of the midfield - making amazing long passes forward or breaking into the box on counter attacks. I don't know why people think he is going to do well as an advanced midfielder, hanging up front, or as #10. It is not his best use, and seems like people want to shoehorn him into those roles only because we need such player and have nobody else?

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Maybe he can in under 23s. I haven't seen Greenwood play well in the senior squad for any position other than advanced CF
In the limited chances he'd been very good. No idea who you've been watching. James will give you energy and pace. Greenwood although it's not his favourite position with give top class natural ability and end product.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
In the limited chances he'd been very good. No idea who you've been watching. James will give you energy and pace. Greenwood although it's not his favourite position with give top class natural ability and end product.
In 433, I agree, all our attackers are better in none traditional roles. Rashford and Greenwood as inside forward with Martial as a hub. But to do that we need a balanced midfield three that can bring the ball cleanly in the final third and that is also able to regain possession quickly. In a fantasist world, we would have Pogba, Partey and Ndidi.

NewGlory

In 433, I agree, all our attackers are better in none traditional roles. Rashford and Greenwood as inside forward with Martial as a hub. But to do that we need a balanced midfield three that can bring the ball cleanly in the final third and that is also able to regain possession quickly. In a fantasist world, we would have Pogba, Partey and Ndidi.
If we are dreaming, why not Kante-Pogba partnership, the way they dominated at the World Cup, with Bruno Fernandes as #10. Would not that be something?

dablem_10

what about playing 3-4-3? 4-4-2 with Rashford on a flank is not good setup and centrally we would be even more fcked as we are. Wan Bissaka as part of 3, James could be actually fantastic offensive wingback in some system. Martial Greenwood Rash upfront swapping positions. Romantic idea.

NewGlory

what about playing 3-4-3? 4-4-2 with Rashford on a flank is not good setup and centrally we would be even more fcked as we are. Wan Bissaka as part of 3, James could be actually fantastic offensive wingback in some system. Martial Greenwood Rash upfront swapping positions. Romantic idea.
We would concede way too many goals. There are very few coaches in the world (most of them Italian) who can set up good back-3 defense. Our coaching squad would not even know where to begin.

Decomposing In Paris

Yeah people moaning about him dropping deep, Rooney at Martial’s age would have dropped deep, outmuscled every fecker on the pitch, played a one two, pinged it out wide right and got on the end of the cross. It’s about attitude and desire.

I like Martial but his consistency and ability to impose himself on the game is a big problem for us if he remains our no 9.
Rooney had Giggs, Ronaldo, Scholes, Tevez, Berbatov, Van Persie, Carrick etc. playing him the passes though. While I agree that Rooney was more assertive, there's only so many comparisons that can be fairly made.

MDFC Manager

Scandinavian Lukaku isn't required, just need this fire in Martial to be lit all the time.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Great game, took his goals really well and very unlucky not to score hat trick. It's like we are cursed and can't break that duck.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Really un-Martial like performance. Struggled with his touch and link-up throughout. Had a chance for a curler, took it, but sent it near post and scored (luckily). 1v1, really hesistated, didn't send it bottom corner but chipped it. And pressed leading to a goal. Left-footed shot from outside the box.
None of these things I associate with him.

luisnani86

Really un-Martial like performance. Struggled with his touch and link-up throughout. Had a chance for a curler, took it, but sent it near post and scored (luckily). 1v1, really hesistated, didn't send it bottom corner but chipped it. And pressed leading to a goal. Left-footed shot from outside the box.
None of these things I associate with him.
Think this is a bit harsh - combined really well for the most part with Rashford especially in the first half. Only he knows whether the slight delay before the second was to commit the keeper more or not but he scored, I won't hold it against him. Unlucky not to secure the hattrick too (gutted as we haven't witnessed one in the league for a while to say the least)

Based Adnan

Made more sliding tackles in the first half then he has during his whole United career until today I reckon

Was fired up from minute 1 and got rewarded with 2 goals.

Bebestation

A pure support striker that can play well when he has strikers next to him.

Please don't bring James back to the right.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Was gutted when he hit the post and when he was subbed. I really wanted him to break the hattrick curse.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He should be always around the box. People call him lazy because he "doesn't run around". No9 should be more around the box and wait for the ball.

kiristao

Superb CF performance today. Help up play well, came deep at times to collect the ball. Great finish for both goals. Should have had a 3rd. We completely lost any kind of penetration after he went off inspite of ridiculous amount of possession.
We need him to stay fit till the end of the season.

He'sRaldo

Yup same thing I was talking about. Greenwood also improves our buildup so it's doubly beneficial.

Plus James can play anywhere in the front 3 so he's a perfect impact player, which is what he was intended to be anyway.

Bebestation

Yup same thing I was talking about. Greenwood also improves our buildup so it's doubly beneficial.

Plus James can play anywhere in the front 3 so he's a perfect impact player, which is what he was intended to be anyway.
Yep it does nothing for James or Martial when James plays on the Right trying get crosses in to no one.

Martial plays a game that allows Greenwood & Rashford to potentially build an understanding with Martial being the one who initiates the attacks for them from deeper positions.

It's why a left footed forward like Haaland who is quite complete anyway but adds things we miss in our strikers department like strength and aerial strength still fits - because Martial as a support striker will still help him out.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Delighted with martial today. Held the ball up well, finished his chances nicely and was so unlucky not to get his hat trick. Gutted we have another game in 2 days as he would have stayed on and scored another I think!

Greenwood hasn’t yet got the physicality to play well in stretched matches, James is great in these situations.
At home though in tight defences is where he excels. His quick feet and brain excel, James looks lost.

kundalini

2 goals and a super left foot shot from distance that hit the post. Excellent performance.

Lynty

I don't think Greenwood adds much at all to the build up. But he's positioning an striking around the box is a much needed addition. If we had a better number 10, they would have found him so many times today for an easy finish. He deserves to keep his place in the team for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.