Status
Not open for further replies.

rooney2009

This kind of game suited him and his movement and strength were great
He is a very good-confidence player and will come good
I remember Andy Cole going through a period like this and SAF stuck with him
I hope he gets his confidence back after this game

Brad2020

That's the Martial I've been waiting all year to see. Hope he can keep it consistent.

MattofManchester

Better today, but we know he can still improve by a big margin.

The missed chance is synonymous with a player who's not finding goals from anywhere, but he's gonna need to start being more clinical.

He still needs to make more runs than he does. There are still too many times where he's held up in between defenders and refuses to move an inch.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Better today, but we know he can still improve by a big margin.

The missed chance is synonymous with a player who's not finding goals from anywhere, but he's gonna need to start being more clinical.

He still needs to make more runs than he does. There are still too many times where he's held up in between defenders and refuses to move an inch.
It’s a pity because up until this season (and end of last season?) he was a striker that you would always fancy to convert every one one one, even in games where he’s not playing well. His yips in front of goal are as out of character as they are detrimental to what he brings to the team.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I think there's some serious underrating here of how good he actually was today. It wasn't 'back to his form last season' it was miles better than that.

The problem is there's no reason to believe he'll play like that again. He might get his shooting boots back but that overall performance is something we never see from him.

Bristol_Red_87

Have to credit Tony today, he showed character that i wasn't sure he possessed to give Stones and Dias lots of problems.

Still plenty to improve on of course, this needs to be the start of his uprising!

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think there's some serious underrating here of how good he actually was today. It wasn't 'back to his form last season' it was miles better than that.

The problem is there's no reason to believe he'll play like that again. He might get his shooting boots back but that overall performance is something we never see from him.
He without a doubt had performances last season that were better than today. He was performing to this level for a good 6 months last season with some amazing displays in there.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Massively improved his hold-up play and helped alleviate pressure on the team. Won the penalty, and his pressing as the team played had much less of the ball for most of the game was so impressive. Shame he missed the chance. Pretty much our best player along with Shaw.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

He without a doubt had performances last season that were better than today. He was performing to this level for a good 6 months last season with some amazing displays in there.
6 months is an exaggeration but he had a run of games towards the end of last season where he was consistently playing as well as he did today. With added goals. If he’s about to go on the same run of form now then we’ll have a very strong run in.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre

Let's see how he'll play when Pogba returns, if there's no consistent improvement by then, I really don't know how to help him get to next level. He's really not that far, but the mental block is real, sometimes it's almost like watching Januzaj.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
6 months is an exaggeration but he had a run of games towards the end of last season where he was consistently playing as well as he did today. With added goals. If he’s about to go on the same run of form now then we’ll have a very strong run in.
He was playing really well even before lockdown; it wasn’t far off half a season of very good form which is why most of this forum had him down as player of the season.

DOTA

I really don't think so. Read that Sults post. We were not praising the boy's pressing, hold up play and ability to relieve pressure on the team, last season.

He played well with some lovely link ups and he scored a decent amount of his chances but he did not show what he did today.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I really don't think so. Read that Sults post. We were not praising the boy's pressing, hold up play and ability to relieve pressure on the team, last season.

He played well with some lovely link ups and he scored a decent amount of his chances but he did not show what he did today.
We were though. This is an unwinnable argument without some really tedious mining for posts from last season but I swear to you, when he was at his best last season he was doing everything he did today and more. He was looking like the number 9 we’d been crying out for for years. Quality on the ball, skilful, winning all his physical battles and scoring top class goals. It’s why his shite form this season has been such a massive kick in the teeth.

-Supreme-

Finally the Martial we saw last season, even without G/A he contributes greatly to the overall attacking transitions.

G-MUFC

Ruben Dias will be player of the year this season and is one of the best defenders around. However Martial made him look ordinary today at times. I just wish that Martial could consistently play at this level. It's so frustrating watching him getting bullied by the likes of Phil Jagielka when we know he's got the talent he showed today.

DOTA

We were though. This is an unwinnable argument without some really tedious mining for posts from last season but I swear to you, when he was at his best last season he was doing everything he did today and more. He was looking like the number 9 we’d been crying out for for years. Quality on the ball, skilful, winning all his physical battles and scoring top class goals. It’s why his shite form this season has been such a massive kick in the teeth.
All arguments are unwinnable and neither of us are bored enough to dig up posts that old.

So, I shall instead accuse you of falling too hard for Martial last season and your memories becoming clouded by your adoration.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
All arguments are unwinnable and neither of us are bored enough to dig up posts that old.

So, I shall instead accuse you of falling too hard for Martial last season and your memories becoming clouded by your adoration.
You should have gone with me being old and having a shit memory from doing too many drugs when I was young. Now that is a winnable argument!

Matt851

Not sure about that

He did score some goals last season which is quite important for a striker

Swiss_Red89

He was my MotM today. Was so happy to see him play at his best again. The one on one miss was expected:-) But otherwise he was just brilliant. I hope this gives him the so much needed confidence and fire back, we need him to step up especially with Rashford's injury. Well done Tony!

Mainoldo

Massively improved his hold-up play and helped alleviate pressure on the team. Won the penalty, and his pressing as the team played had much less of the ball for most of the game was so impressive. Shame he missed the chance. Pretty much our best player along with Shaw.
Improved or just had a better game? His hold up play has been good for 18 months now.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Improved or just had a better game? His hold up play has been good for 18 months now.
I noticed his hold-up play much more in this game due to us being on the defensive and set-up to counter.

Foxbatt

He seems to be turning it around. I hope he goes on a run now and get his game up. We have to say that others in midfield player well too and it helped Martial to play better too.

MattofManchester

It’s a pity because up until this season (and end of last season?) he was a striker that you would always fancy to convert every one one one, even in games where he’s not playing well. His yips in front of goal are as out of character as they are detrimental to what he brings to the team.
Its a confidence thing. He frankly looks so awkward in those moments that you don't even fancy him to score. I don't think he fancies it either.
It's reaching crunch time for our season now, so we really need a firing No. 9.

Somebody make him sit next to Bruno all the time again as we did when he first joined.
That seemed to work out well.

croadyman

Will admit have given him a lot of stick recently but had his best game of the season today

Sir Marcus

Delighted for him today, showed his true worth and hopefully he continues like this until the end of the season because that was some performance.

Good management from everyone involved today too.

marktan

Having him back firing for the last 10 games of the season would be huge, he was a big part in the post lockdown form we had last year.

Siezard

Martial would have been criticized heavily if he missed the shot like Sterling did last night. Sterling has more big misses than Martial.

Eternitiy

Good performance. The one on one with Ederson was easier to score than miss, don't know how he didn't score there.

Status
Not open for further replies.