Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurtej

Who here thinks that he has the mental strength and talent to take us to the next level from where we are today?

In my view, he doesn’t.... flashes of talent but highly inconsistent and really think he lacks mental strength...

I actually think he will be someone PSG will take if one of their two star players Leave...

Anything around 40m.... sell him

CM

Some of the reactions here are a tad unfair. It's true that we haven't really missed him since he's been injured and this is far from his best season but Martial at his best is still a serious player. The talk about his attitude has always been overplayed.

This season is more or less a write off for him but he can still play an important part next year. Maybe let him play the last couple against Fulham and Wolves while the others prepare for the Europa final and get him ready for next season. Between him, Greenwood and Cavani we've got some nice goalscoring options so I'd be reluctant to see him leave just yet.

Scholsey2004

I think his problem is a lack of will. Its one thing to be given the freedom, and leeway he got last season. Its another to be expected to perform season after season and even outperform your best season. Don't think Martial has that energy in him.
This about sums him up to me as well. Its desire more than anything that enables players to push on to the next level. Rashford has it, Martial doesnt. You could make the same comparison between Fernandes and Pogba as well.

Raven

Desperately need to get rid of this guy just to get away from our old era of always coming up short. We need to clear our the old furniture for a new vibe, and we did great by replacing DDG.

He is associated with the worst period in the Premier league that we've gone through. Get him out.
What a bizarre comment. Should we feck off Shaw as well? Maybe Pogba next? And how about Rashford after that.

Just because a player was here when we weren't as good doesn't mean it's preventing us from getting better now.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Desperately need to get rid of this guy just to get away from our old era of always coming up short. We need to clear our the old furniture for a new vibe, and we did great by replacing DDG.

He is associated with the worst period in the Premier league that we've gone through. Get him out.
I think Martial's time is up as well, but this is a daft reason to give.

The same logic would have seen us feck Pallister, Bruce, and Irwin off in 1992 :lol:

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Plenty of the usual posters saying we have been better without him - yeah it has nothing to do with Pogba coming back and actually transforming our football.
The thing is though, who do we drop in favour of Martial at this moment?

In the EL final we will hopefully have Rashford, Pogba, Cavani, Greenwood, James, Diallo and Martial competing for 3 spots.

Not trying to be a WUM, but id honestly prefer James at RW right now because at least you can be certain he provides energy, Greenwood is given.

At ST id want Cavani or Greenwood and at LW id want Pogba or Rashford.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This about sums him up to me as well. Its desire more than anything that enables players to push on to the next level. Rashford has it, Martial doesnt. You could make the same comparison between Fernandes and Pogba as well.
No, you really couldn't at all. You can praise Fernandes on his own, Pogba is an entirely different player to Martial

UpWithRivers

He has been hampered by injuries this year and not had the best time of it. He is also better on the left and is a casualty of our inability to buy players for the right positions. Like we sold Lukaku and failed to sign a proper striker so him and Rashford had to do it then they get abused because they aren't proper strikers. Same as what happened to Mata, Lingard etc on the RW. He still is a class player and unless you get Haaland then Im not sure who would come in a be better than him. If people think selling him for 40 mill and getting Daka or Silva is an improvement then its a big gamble because we know Martial can get 20 goals from CF and when in form and in his natural position i.e. LW he can be as good as Rashford. Carful what you wish for he is still a class player and wont be easily replaced.

kouroux

He has been hampered by injuries this year and not had the best time of it. He is also better on the left and is a casualty of our inability to buy players for the right positions. Like we sold Lukaku and failed to sign a proper striker so him and Rashford had to do it then they get abused because they aren't proper strikers. Same as what happened to Mata, Lingard etc on the RW. He still is a class player and unless you get Haaland then Im not sure who would come in a be better than him. If people think selling him for 40 mill and getting Daka or Silva is an improvement then its a big gamble because we know Martial can get 20 goals from CF and when in form and in his natural position i.e. LW he can be as good as Rashford. Carful what you wish for he is still a class player and wont be easily replaced.
We've been fine without him this season tbh. Of all the attackers we have, he'd be the easiest to replace

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We've been fine without him this season tbh. Of all the attackers we have, he'd be the easiest to replace
Yeah but we add good players instead of trying to replace them. Martial had poor year, but he is good player.

We need depth too, Martial and Cavani as our CF options is good enough.

kouroux

Yeah but we add good players instead of trying to replace them. Martial had poor year, but he is good player.

We need depth too, Martial and Cavani as our CF options is good enough.
I would agree with you if the player in question is worth it. I question it when it comes to Martial

UpWithRivers

You could say we have been fine without Haaland and Sancho and all the other signings we want to make. Doesnt mean we wouldnt be better if they were there

kouroux

You could say we have been fine without Haaland and Sancho and all the other signings we want to make. Doesnt mean we wouldnt be better if they were there
The thing is that we know how Man Utd plays with and without Martial. With Sancho and Haaland, even if there is no guarantee in football, there would be the hope for a good improvement.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It’s funny people saying our best team doesn’t include him when we still haven’t played football anywhere near as well this season as we did at the end of last season when Martial was on top form. That clearly indicates that an in form Martial not only gets into this team but elevates it beyond what we have seen most of this campaign. The question is can he regain that form here?

kouroux

It’s funny people saying our best team doesn’t include him when we still haven’t played football anywhere near as well this season as we did at the end of last season when Martial was on top form. That clearly indicates that an in form Martial not only gets into this team but elevates it beyond what we have seen most of this campaign. The question is can he regain that form here?
I disagree. We've only leaked more goals and mainly because of those freak Crystal Palace and Spurs results. Overall though, the team has played better and scored more goals.

Threesus

Can we rely on such a moody player though? People were comparing him to Henry, he is more of a poor man’s anelka to me.
You are in your prime and you have basically taken a year off. Can you really rely on such a player to drive us forward?

TrustInJanuzaj

I disagree. We've only leaked more goals and mainly because of those freak Crystal Palace and Spurs results. Overall though, the team has played better and scored more goals.
On the whole this season we have been far more resilient and ground out better results. There’s also been afew standout matches and moments of real entertainment. I don’t think we have played football as entertaining as in that period after lockdown though and Martial was fundamental to that.

TrustInJanuzaj

Can we rely on such a moody player though? People were comparing him to Henry, he is more of a poor man’s anelka to me.
You are in your prime and you have basically taken a year off. Can you really rely on such a player to drive us forward?
Agreed those are the real questions and the genuine reason for doubt. Not some nonsense about him not being good enough or talented enough which you regularly see in this thread.

UpWithRivers

The thing is that we know how Man Utd plays with and without Martial. With Sancho and Haaland, even if there is no guarantee in football, there would be the hope for a good improvement.
Yes but his replacement would be a Silva or Daka not Haaland and then its a toss up if it works or not. Martial can score 20 goals at CF and can play LW at a high level. Who knows what a mid tier striker will do but the odds of signing a 40 mill striker them scoring 20 goals is rare.

kouroux

Yes but his replacement would be a Silva or Daka not Haaland and then its a toss up if it works or not. Martial can score 20 goals at CF and can play LW at a high level. Who knows what a mid tier striker will do but the odds of signing a 40 mill striker them scoring 20 goals is rare.
You're the one who brought up Haaland, not me. Martial onces 20 goals, doesn't mean he can do it again. The talent is there and will always be there, there are more uncertainties surrounding him than not for me.

kouroux

On the whole this season we have been far more resilient and ground out better results. There’s also been afew standout matches and moments of real entertainment. I don’t think we have played football as entertaining as in that period after lockdown though and Martial was fundamental to that.
Strange but I guess it's a matter of individual appreciation and perception. This season has been much more enjoyable overall. First half of the lockdown was good in terms of results and football but the rest not so much even if the results were still positive

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Some of the reactions here are a tad unfair. It's true that we haven't really missed him since he's been injured and this is far from his best season but Martial at his best is still a serious player. The talk about his attitude has always been overplayed.

This season is more or less a write off for him but he can still play an important part next year. Maybe let him play the last couple against Fulham and Wolves while the others prepare for the Europa final and get him ready for next season. Between him, Greenwood and Cavani we've got some nice goalscoring options so I'd be reluctant to see him leave just yet.
Every bad season is a write off, one good season is a "this is it lad"

This is how we ended up with a testimonial for phil Jones. Every season is a blank slate.

I’ve seen enough of Martial to see that he has no future as the starting no 9 at United. He’s not good enough and not consistent enough.

fergie would ship out a player like this who has performed so badly.

I do however believe that he can do a good job on the left, and occasionally play up front as and when required. We need a squad of players, not just an 11.

but I don’t believe he will accept that. We saw what happened when Zlatan took his shirt. He is one of those players who needs to be loved, needs to be no 1 - unfortunately he’s not quite good enough for that treatment at United.

he’s likely to another chance next season if we sign Cavani for another season. I can’t see us buying a top forward in the summer.

lost7

I still believe he can turn it around. Even this season, which has been shocking for him, he's still had some really strong performances. In the game against City he showed just how good be can be and what he can offer to the team.

But of course, Cavani will be first choice and Martial should only be used to let the man rest until he shows otherwise on the pitch

CM

Every bad season is a write off, one good season is a "this is it lad"

This is how we ended up with a testimonial for phil Jones. Every season is a blank slate.
Right, because the situations are really comparable.

MattofManchester

Martial can get 20 goals from CF
Martial got 17 goals in the league last term. He's never hit 20.

At 25, he's not peaked, he's declined.

Football is performance based. We can't sit around waiting for him to decide to buck up.
We are second in the league without a top class forward.

"Careful what you wish for" is when we wished he'd be a world class forward and he's completely been a let-down.

He's never going to be an Aguero or a Kane or a Lewandowski.
Thats the level we should be aspiring to reach, not some hot and cold player who gets dislodged by a 34 year old who hadn't played football in over 6 months.

Harsh, but the reality of it is that he's been abysmal this season and notably showed no signs of actually improving that form.

UpWithRivers

Football is performance based. We can't sit around waiting for him to decide to buck up.

"Careful what you wish for" is when we wished he'd be a world class forward and he's completely been a let-down.

Thats the level we should be aspiring to reach, not some hot and cold player who gets dislodged by a 34 year old who hadn't played football in over 6 months.

Harsh, but the reality of it is that he's been abysmal this season and notably showed no signs of actually improving that form.
I agree. If we can get a top class CF Im all for it. Problem is we will will get a Daka or mid tier CF. Or an old injury prone player. Or try and shift Greenwood to CF too early. Thats what I mean careful what you wish for because we will more than likely end up with someone worse. Also remember Martial is not a CF. He is playing there to help out our tight arse club that wont buy a CF.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I agree. If we can get a top class CF Im all for it. Problem is we will will get a Daka or mid tier CF. Or an old injury prone player. Or try and shift Greenwood to CF too early. Thats what I mean careful what you wish for because we will more than likely end up with someone worse. Also remember Martial is not a CF. He is playing there to help out our tight arse club that wont buy a CF.
I think it was him that actually wants to play CF? He didn't like it when we played him on the wings. Where does he want to play then? CDM?

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
After lockdown last year, all of our attackers + Bruno were in brilliant form, not just Martial. Just the last month, we had some really good games that did not include him like Spurs, Burnley and now Roma.

No doubt an in form Martial is a huge asset, but the big issue is that when hes not in form hes completely abysmal and it not like he carried the team on his own either last spring and hes in no way irreplacable

snk123

Bring Martial back into this side with Pogba on the left and he'll start scoring and getting his confidence back. Cavani looked clueless not so long ago without Pogba.

Stacks

Bring Martial back into this side with Pogba on the left and he'll start scoring and getting his confidence back. Cavani looked clueless not so long ago without Pogba.
Nothing is guaranteed as he plays with Pogba for France and was pretty useless for them too. You have to stop finding excuses and realise that only Martial can find the inner "vaa va voom" to bring high value to this United team. He can't rely on people to baby him. Just needs to fix up like he did last year. I'll give him ONE LAST CHANCE because last season he was nice nice. We can sign Sancho in the Summer and if that don't help Tony then he obviously isn't the one

lex talionis

I don’t think Its total a coincidence he dropped off when Cavani/Zlatan came in. It feels like he’s the arm around the shoulder confidence player but everyone can also see Ole has given him every chance this season to play his way back. I think he could still be a useful player for us and I doubt the club are going to sell him a year after giving him a new deal so as underwhelming as this season has been he is probably going to get another season at least, probably longer knowing us. The problem is I’m not sure if he fits into our strongest 11 anymore. he’ll still get plenty of games rotating with Cavani, I’m just not sure if a rotation spot will be enough incentive for him to refocus.
Completely agree. But this is where I struggle to understand Tony: I understand losing confidence when a striker is brought in and how that can affect you in a scoring situation, but what I don’t understand is lethargic behavior on the pitch.

Raven

He put a couple of decent and one brilliant performance together just before his injury. Not to say he hasn't been appalling this season but there's no need pedal falsehoods.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
We are one long term injury away from relying on him.

Also, no team would want him and his wages, and Ole clearly rates him.

Probably his last chance though.

MattofManchester

He put a couple of decent and one brilliant performance together just before his injury. Not to say he hasn't been appalling this season but there's no need pedal falsehoods.
His last three performances for us were the good performance he put in against City, a poor showing against Milan for 45' and a downright dismal display against Leicester in the FA Cup.
He was also poor before that, with the odd good game mixed in.

Not sure where these performances "just before" his injury came from.

Those performances actually sum him up for us. Can be brilliant, bordering on unplayable, or simply nonexistent, to the point you forget he's there. More often the latter.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
TBF Im sick of the sight of him, the constant need for coddling, the wildly fluctuating performance levels from one week to the next, he is 25 not bloody 15, stop being such a flannel and either get on with it or get out.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I've given up on martial but I dont believe in the moody thing.

He sulks when he misses a chance and not much else.

Anyway, do people think he is better than Lacazette from Arsenal or same level?

Status
Not open for further replies.