Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
I don’t see why we feel we have to sell him. Keep him as competition for Rashford and Greenwood.
Because we need to improve our squad every year in order to stay competitive. Rashford and Greenwood are a good base and are improving with time but Martial doesnt look like will get better or develop into a world class player.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
After lockdown last year, all of our attackers + Bruno were in brilliant form, not just Martial. Just the last month, we had some really good games that did not include him like Spurs, Burnley and now Roma.

No doubt an in form Martial is a huge asset, but the big issue is that when hes not in form hes completely abysmal and it not like he carried the team on his own either last spring and hes in no way irreplacable
Well you have drawn a line at after lockdown, but before lockdown he was the only striker we had in the team and he was carrying the front line alone, with Bruno coming from behind. We were getting nothing from James (obviously) and Greenwood wasn’t yet in the team. We would have been fecked at that time if he wasn’t fit. This year, more than fair to say we haven’t missed him. That’s because we did the common sense thing and brought some cover in last summer.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
TBF Im sick of the sight of him, the constant need for coddling, the wildly fluctuating performance levels from one week to the next, he is 25 not bloody 15, stop being such a flannel and either get on with it or get out.
Charming! Not sure where this need for coddling comes from either.

I’d have no qualms in him leaving, for the record, but I think posters on here have been distasteful towards him this season during his poor run. He’s been a fan favourite since he came here, and had plenty of highs, but the comments once he’s hit a bad spell just demonstrate why fans should feel no way when players, agents or whoever put their own interests first. He’s always been a player that fans have had on a shorter string than others, something I’ve mentioned over the years. He’s one or two bad games away from pure vitriol at any point. Then it’s ‘Tony Martial, came from France’ again.

If he is to leave then he is to leave. But not sure when he became the enemy to United fans, or at least, caf posters anyway.

united for life

I’ve been reading some of the latest posts and it seems there is a lot of discussion around whether we need to keep or sell him. I don’t think Ole would want to sell him as he needs squad depth. But probably the question should be whether Martial would want to stay with a smaller role at the club. He is clearly not the #9 we want, Cavani showed us what we have been missing. Out left? Rashford and Pogba recently are ahead of him. So probably his role going forward would be a rotation player. Even if Cavani leaves, we’ll be in the market for a striker. Martial is now generally seen as someone who can’t lead the front line (he often looks lazy and uninterested anyways…).

it’s a shame it has come to this for him, but when I see the flow and passion up front now with paul, marcus, mason, bruno and cavani, I really don’t see how martial would get back into the team.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Well you have drawn a line at after lockdown, but before lockdown he was the only striker we had in the team and he was carrying the front line alone, with Bruno coming from behind. We were getting nothing from James (obviously) and Greenwood wasn’t yet in the team. We would have been fecked at that time if he wasn’t fit. This year, more than fair to say we haven’t missed him. That’s because we did the common sense thing and brought some cover in last summer.
True, but the post i quoted talked about when we were playing our best football, which definitely not happened at the start of the 19/20 season. Not that i disagree either. In that period (Aug 19 - Jan 20) Martial pretty much carried us and was 100% our most important attacking player. Maybe he thrives in being the big fish in a small pond, but based on the form hes displayed this season hes fallen down the pecking order quite a bit

The weird thing is that this total collapse in form makes no sense. Hes entering his prime years, he gets along very well with the manager whos been very supportive of him, he does not carry any niggling injuries and afaik, he does not have any big personal troubles either. Based on his great form last season, everything pointed towards him having an even better season this year, but instead hes had his worst one yet

jackal&hyde

True, but the post i quoted talked about when we were playing our best football, which definitely not happened at the start of the 19/20 season. Not that i disagree either. In that period (Aug 19 - Jan 20) Martial pretty much carried us and was 100% our most important attacking player. Maybe he thrives in being the big fish in a small pond, but based on the form hes displayed this season hes fallen down the pecking order quite a bit

The weird thing is that this total collapse in form makes no sense. Hes entering his prime years, he gets along very well with the manager whos been very supportive of him, he does not carry any niggling injuries and afaik, he does not have any big personal troubles either. Based on his great form last season, everything pointed towards him having an even better season this year, but instead hes had his worst one yet
I disagree with that. His goal scoring has been poor but other aspect of his game did improve. He is leading the line better and his hold up game to bring others in also improved. He still needs to make more runs in behind but he has a future here yet.

CG1010

I disagree with that. His goal scoring has been poor but other aspect of his game did improve. He is leading the line better and his hold up game to bring others in also improved. He still needs to make more runs in behind but he has a future here yet.
His first touch while always good has become poorer as his confidence has fallen. He hadn't been showing up for ball, hiding behind defenders. He was never the one to make a lot of runs but his movement completely stopped. And any attempts at getting at the end of crosses. Not sure what aspects of game you saw an improvement in.

BaillyBaillyBailly

This is something that I think is often missed with Martial. He does have personal problems which many 25 year olds would struggle with.
- he vocally voiced his displeasure at being asked to give Zlatan the no.9 shirt. there are quotes for this.
- him and wife his first wife Samantha Jacqueline had a messy break up which resulted in some custody issues with his child
- Mourinho vocally called him out regularly during his time. Martial wasn't the only one who struggled with this.
- His current wife received racial abuse earlier this year
- He continues to have custody issues with his ex wife

I'm aware that lots of people have problems like this and they get on with it fine. But I can see why it would affect him. Look at Lingard and how free he looks now he has managed to deal with the personal problems that were plaguing him. I also think the acquisition of Cavani was a little bit of a slap in the face to him. He performed excellently as out CF in the second half of last season and his thanks for that is to be effectively told that we need a "proper CF".

I think Martial is a talented player who has the skillset to be a world class player at the level of Sane/Gnabry/Salah/Mane/Hazard etc. BUT I don't think he will ever reach that potential at united because the pressure is too high, we don't build the team around him.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This is something that I think is often missed with Martial. He does have personal problems which many 25 year olds would struggle with.
- he vocally voiced his displeasure at being asked to give Zlatan the no.9 shirt. there are quotes for this.
- him and wife his first wife Samantha Jacqueline had a messy break up which resulted in some custody issues with his child
- Mourinho vocally called him out regularly during his time. Martial wasn't the only one who struggled with this.
- His current wife received racial abuse earlier this year
- He continues to have custody issues with his ex wife

I'm aware that lots of people have problems like this and they get on with it fine. But I can see why it would affect him. Look at Lingard and how free he looks now he has managed to deal with the personal problems that were plaguing him. I also think the acquisition of Cavani was a little bit of a slap in the face to him. He performed excellently as out CF in the second half of last season and his thanks for that is to be effectively told that we need a "proper CF".

I think Martial is a talented player who has the skillset to be a world class player at the level of Sane/Gnabry/Salah/Mane/Hazard etc. BUT I don't think he will ever reach that potential at united because the pressure is too high, we don't build the team around him.
I think people don't realize that Anthony and his wife have gotten racial abuse fairly regularly for several years, not just earlier.

ryan_forlan

Gullible
It is quite simple.
We can't rely on him to be our first choice striker.
We should keep him to compete with Rash at LW and give us another option at ST.
He is talented and will always make us go wow multiple times in a season, but not a player who should be a regular starter.
Also, considering we paid between 35-40 million (never made the conditional pays) for him when we has 18, he has been a let down.
But while arguing amongst each other, let's not hate on him please. Thanks.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He is a deep playing forward who is better deeper away from the box than in it.

It's why I personally always thought that he was better at linking the wider players together like a false 9 rather than a poacher trying to get on the end of crosses provided by these wider players.

We have had low block this season more than last season and Martial's deep playing forward role doesn't really add anything to what we struggle with.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Hope he can regain his confidence back. We need our attackers at their best if we are ever to compete with City.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If Pogba does end up staying and signing a new contract then Martial becomes the main target for a transfer for me. He'd would probably go for £40m or so.

He's a decent player, although massively overrated by his insanely loyal fanclub. He's not good enough to be our main number 9 or 11. He'd be a very good back up but I don't think that's what he wants. His attitude when Cavani and Zlatan arrived has been very poor. Looks like his nose is out of place because he's got competition. That's not the attitude we want or need.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Charming! Not sure where this need for coddling comes from either.

I’d have no qualms in him leaving, for the record, but I think posters on here have been distasteful towards him this season during his poor run. He’s been a fan favourite since he came here, and had plenty of highs, but the comments once he’s hit a bad spell just demonstrate why fans should feel no way when players, agents or whoever put their own interests first. He’s always been a player that fans have had on a shorter string than others, something I’ve mentioned over the years. He’s one or two bad games away from pure vitriol at any point. Then it’s ‘Tony Martial, came from France’ again.

If he is to leave then he is to leave. But not sure when he became the enemy to United fans, or at least, caf posters anyway.
Every time we sign a forward he goes missing for god know how long, he has this need to be treated like number one and not have competition, and thats not acceptable for an allegedly elite sportsman.

people do have less patience for him, that is true, because even when things arent going well the least that should be expected is 100% effort, you dont get that from him. When things arent going his way he strolls around, sulking and just looking like the world has dropped out of his arse. He has all the tools to be a hugely successful and influential player for us, but not the drive and willingness to fight for it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Tbh the period I meant was smaller than that, more just the month or so before lockdown, but after Rashford’s injury, where he was alone. Before that, Rashford did his bit too, and even James helped form part of a good front 3. Then Rashford got injured, James fell off a cliff and Greenwood wasn’t in the team yet. Left just Martial for a while, and he stepped up. So yes, he wasn’t the only one performing in the frontline after lockdown, but he didn’t just start performing after lockdown.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Every time we sign a forward he goes missing for god know how long, he has this need to be treated like number one and not have competition, and thats not acceptable for an allegedly elite sportsman.

people do have less patience for him, that is true, because even when things arent going well the least that should be expected is 100% effort, you dont get that from him. When things arent going his way he strolls around, sulking and just looking like the world has dropped out of his arse. He has all the tools to be a hugely successful and influential player for us, but not the drive and willingness to fight for it.
That’s just some narrative that is being applied. When we signed Cavani, Martial’s place was not exactly threatened. Cavani was very much cover, and Martial was very much first choice, starting when fit.

When we signed Lukaku, Martial started the season as a sub, before coming on from the bench every week to score and force himself in the team. At the time, we still had loads on the caf saying ‘good, he should be on the bench’ as part of some Rashford vs Martial war, where some couldn’t credit him because it was apparently easy for him to score goals after Rashford had ‘tired the opposition out’. But anyway, he stood up and fought.

Martial just doesn’t smile much. Other than that, I saw him playing on the left and tracking runners for years for us. He’s not the perfect player, but he’s easily been one of our better ones since he has joined. He’s generally not given anyone any shit off the pitch either, but he seemingly has to start from zero all the time for many fans to like him. And when he isn’t playing well, there’s no need for any pleasantries at all at that point, any thread I see posts about random topics used to have shots at Martial all season.

Devil81

Watched an interesting interview with Brian McClair on Youtube and he basically said what we all think about Martial.

He doesn't see a player that leaves it all on the field, he doesn't look exhausted or tired after a match and most of all he doesn't see a lad who loves the game of football. Choccy actually said he believes Martial doesn't actually like the game.

We've all said it, it stands out a country mile, Martial sees this as a job and not something he enjoys. Based on the damning verdict from McClair it's clear to me were going to struggle getting rid of this lad for anything near what we would want money wise.

GueRed

Mourinho tried every trick in the book to fire up his arse before giving up.

Ole has given him the loving, molly coddling treatment but that doesnt seem to work...

I think even Fergie would find it difficult in motivating and firing up a player as passive as Martial.

What can you do?...

It's been said a million times. The talent is there, the drive and determination on the pitch isnt.

As a number 9 we havent missed him at all. A past his prime Cavani is twice the centre-forward.

Raven

Watched an interesting interview with Brian McClair on Youtube and he basically said what we all think about Martial.

He doesn't see a player that leaves it all on the field, he doesn't look exhausted or tired after a match and most of all he doesn't see a lad who loves the game of football. Choccy actually said he believes Martial doesn't actually like the game.

We've all said it, it stands out a country mile, Martial sees this as a job and not something he enjoys. Based on the damning verdict from McClair it's clear to me were going to struggle getting rid of this lad for anything near what we would want money wise.
Absurd, you should think before typing.

EdinburghDevil

I wouldn't be against him being sold as he blows too much hot and cold for me. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he succeeded elsewhere.

Like Lakaku, I don't think anyone doubted he was a good player and would do well at Inter. Just wasn't the right fit for the direction we were looking to take the squad at this time.

OL29

Mourinho tried every trick in the book to fire up his arse before giving up.

Ole has given him the loving, molly coddling treatment but that doesnt seem to work...

I think even Fergie would find it difficult in motivating and firing up a player as passive as Martial.

What can you do?...

It's been said a million times. The talent is there, the drive and determination on the pitch isnt.

As a number 9 we havent missed him at all. A past his prime Cavani is twice the centre-forward.
Martial was in the form of his life when Jose got sacked...

Raven

Martial was in the form of his life when Jose got sacked...
He was also ripping the league to shreds the season before that until he was dropped for Sanchez. Some people's memories are shocking.

Raven

At this point it’s just agendas.
He's had 2 crap seasons for us, with this being his worst. He's had 4 seasons that ranged from good to superb.

This is the first time in his career with United that I feel the Martial outers actually have a valid point because he has been truly shocking this season. What I don't get is why they feel the need to lie about his time here.

OL29

He's had 2 crap seasons for us, with this being his worst. He's had 4 seasons that ranged from good to superb.

This is the first time in his career with United that I feel the Martial outers actually have a valid point because he has been truly shocking this season. What I don't get is why they feel the need to lie about his time here.
Agreed, I guess a lot of people are just happy to be able to say I told you so.

Devil81

Absurd, you should think before typing.
What's absurd?

I don't believe he loves the games as much as others do and that impacts his performances from time to time. The lad has all the ability in the world yet he vanishes far too often for my liking.

slyadams

At this point it’s just agendas.
No its not. If United want to compete at the top table in the coming years you can't have a player who will average 5/10 in player ratings. You don't have to boss every game, but your average cannot be 'poor', which it has been for two years. If top 4 or top 6 is the only aim then sure, he can hang around and try to regain his form but if we have any aspirations at all to compete with City you can't just wait for a player to come back to you after two years.

OL29

No its not. If United want to compete at the top table in the coming years you can't have a player who will average 5/10 in player ratings. You don't have to boss every game, but your average cannot be 'poor', which it has been for two years. If top 4 or top 6 is the only aim then sure, he can hang around and try to regain his form but if we have any aspirations at all to compete with City you can't just wait for a player to come back to you after two years.
You’re arguing against a point that I never made. It’s fine to want him sold or to not think he’s good enough but seeing people attempt to rewrite history is what’s annoying, and you’ve kind of proven my point with the bolded. How can describing our player of the season last year and top scorer as being ‘poor’ on average be anything but an agenda?

Raven

What's absurd?

I don't believe he loves the games as much as others do and that impacts his performances from time to time. The lad has all the ability in the world yet he vanishes far too often for my liking.
For anyone to come as far as he has in football, you have to love football. I remember Assou Ekotto (spelling?) used to play football as his job and nothing more but he's an incredible outlier and never played to the level Martial has.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

4 seasons that ranged from good to superb is pushing it a lot. His debut season and last season definitely qualify as 'good to superb'. Which are the other two you are referring to?

Raven

4 seasons that ranged from good to superb is pushing it a lot. His debut season and last season definitely qualify as 'good to superb'. Which are the other two you are referring to?
The season we bought Sanchez and the following season. He was our best attacker in both.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The season we bought Sanchez and the following season. He was our best attacker in both.
Fair enough. I don't agree. I think he has been at best average in all but two seasons but each to their own and all that jazz.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Martial is complacent and needs momentum from somewhere. Last season he was given momentum when he was given the no.9 and some security as he was without competition. This season I don't see where momentum is coming from for him

In the end there shouldn't be so much analysis on him. He's just another player in the long list of inconsistent players

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Nah, he was better at leading the line, holding the ball high up the pitch, and dribbling forward last year, (and most previous years), and this is all apart from finishing. His entire game collapsed this year, with 1-2 good (but incomplete) performances like away at City or the 9-0.

MattofManchester

Other than that, I saw him playing on the left and tracking runners for years for us.
That is deep revisionism and you know it. Martial and Jose had an issue because of his refusal to track the runners deep.
I remember this acutely, because I remember watching him running along behind an opposition player in one game, not bothering to pressure or block spaces, which more often than not left Young exposed.
Solskjaer has got him to work a lot harder than LVG or Jose managed to.

I was this guy's biggest fan for 5 years. I had hoped and demanded he would come good. I was stupidly the first to his defense under Mourinho.

But there's far too much revisionism going on here. He didn't have "best moments" under Jose. Prior to last season, his best run was the run he went on when he first arrived here, under LVG.
Outside of that, he was more often one game good, next game bad, next good, next bad. Maybe he'll go on a run for a little while and then fall away again. Jose being Jose no doubt made it harder for him, but the pattern remained. His biggest problem was inconsistency which we all said was youth.

He went on that run last season, and we all thought, okay, it's come together now. He'll start being more consistent.

Then we get this season. Actually last season. This poor form started at Copenhagen.
Which is synonymous with his time here. He was amazing last season, now we get the opposite which is just abysmal.
Hes been that type of player pretty much throughout.
Immensely talented, but lacking the mentality to be the very best.
It happens. Most often, among professional sportsmen, this is what separates the most elite from everyone else.

But Manchester United as a football club cannot keep waiting around hoping he will gain that. It will become an issue that holds the club back if we persist.

poleglass red

Not enough to his all around game to get him by, when he isn't scoring. He like Rashford has a habit of trying to dribble down blind alleys, on the odd times it comes off he looks amazing but more often that not we just lose possession. He doesn't close defenders down or work them by making of the ball runs, or working the channels. We've seen some games where Cavani hasn't been great but he still keeps defenders occupied. Even Rashford who is frustrating, he still continues to make runs into space when he isn't playing well. Martial is caught between winger and centre forward, he is decent at both without being great at either. He's a wide forward or inside left maybe, similiar to what Liverpool play, but again he doesn't have that workrate to play the high press they play. Talented player but we aren't a team where we can carry players, we need consistency.

OverratedOpinion

It is a shame really that we did not sell him last summer. After he scored 25 goals, was 24 and clearly a lovely player to watch. I think we probably would have got over 60 million for him in this market if not more.

Can't wait for us to sell him to Dortmund for 20 million and a couple of add ons and watch him become a prime Thierry Henry for them.

TheReligion

Abusive
It is a shame really that we did not sell him last summer. After he scored 25 goals, was 24 and clearly a lovely player to watch. I think we probably would have got over 60 million for him in this market if not more.

Can't wait for us to sell him to Dortmund for 20 million and a couple of add ons and watch him become a prime Thierry Henry for them.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here? Most good players look better in weaker leagues.

Status
Not open for further replies.