Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
That might well be the case though I think he's been a good signing for United with the exception of this season.

Anyway, I don't think we could sign anyone this summer who's a clear upgrade on him, so fans will have to deal with him one more season at least.
Hahahaha. Good one.

There are dozens of players in Europe better than he is. He's not that highly rated outside of this football club. Our fanbase seem to think he's a lot better than he actually is. Just look at his career with France. They play players way past their best in Giroud over Martial because he's just not that good.

In fact If you asked PL football fans as a whole who they'd have in their teams, Ings or Martial I reckon vast majority would go with Ings.

macheda14

It's probably time for him to move on. When he's on form he's one of my favourite players to watch, but unfortunately that doesn't happen too much anymore. It's crazy how exciting his first season was with us, looked like the sky was the limit for him. Will still always love him for his goal against Liverpool and him dragging us to an FA cup final.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
he’s done.

Cavani has shown that Martial is not the player that we need.

he could still be a viable option from the left, but we have Rashford - and by all accounts that’s not the role he wants.

he’s gone stale.

he needs a fresh start - he’s still got half his career left. It’s best for all parties to move on.

I honestly think a swap with him going to spurs could be a win for everyone. They need a striker, and without being disparaging to spurs, with less exposure/ pressure/ analysis of everything he does - I think he would do well.
I think despite it all Martial is miles too good for Spurs. Just cant see him wanting to go there when at his best he still gets in our best 11. If he does go it will have to be abroad.

Brophs

The One and Only
Seems people are gonna be shocked how much he is going to play next season. He had a bad season but his top level is still very high. We've seen evidence of that in the game against City when he bullied their defense and player of the season Ruben Dias.
That's never really been in doubt, albeit I think even the declining Cavani has shown us that Martial is lacking in certain things that you'd want your centre forward to do. The problem is that his top level isn't seen often enough. That potential people were so excited by is long gone as a concept. He'll be 26 at the turn of the year and we're still having to view him as a fixer-upper. If there's a market for him I'd like to see us buy a proper centre forward who, if nothing else, is more consistent.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think despite it all Martial is miles too good for Spurs. Just cant see him wanting to go there when at his best he still gets in our best 11. If he does go it will have to be abroad.
I agree that it's super unlikely that he'd fancy going to Spurs having less of a chance to win anything and being paid less (but probably nearer to what he's worth). But who would buy him now? I could see Italian teams offer some paltry sum spread over a number of years. I don't think any club is going to drop 50m on our table to acquire his services at the moment.

It's not bad to go into next season with him and Rashford vying for that left-forward position (if we sign another actual striker).

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's had a bad season but selling him now, when his value is low, would be beyond stupid. Calling him 'done' already is stupid for a guy his age. Everybody can have a bad season, especially if injuries and suspensions just pile up. He scored 23 goals the year before, so let's wait and see before writing him off.

yet Kane and Son are better than him. He’s miles too good for spurs. He might ‘think’ he is, and that’s some of his problem. He needs a reality check.

I think he’s a player that has some value, who we can cash in on him this summer to fund other purchases.

peridigm

He's had a bad season but selling him now, when his value is low, would be beyond stupid. Calling him 'done' already is stupid for a guy his age. Everybody can have a bad season, especially if injuries and suspensions just pile up. He scored 23 goals the year before, so let's wait and see before writing him off.
Multi-chance FC. Martial had a good run last season but let’s not paper over the previous seasons or long spells of inconsistency. I hope for United sake, we sign a RW and Martial sees the writing on the wall and looks to get out while he can. Otherwise I think Ole likes him which worries me.

TrustInJanuzaj

yet Kane and Son are better than him. He’s miles too good for spurs. He might ‘think’ he is, and that’s some of his problem. He needs a reality check.

I think he’s a player that has some value, who we can cash in on him this summer to fund other purchases.
Kane and Son want out and I expect will get out in the next couple of years. Without them that Spurs squad is shocking. I just can’t see a player of Martials ability actively moving there.

tjb

Literally everything is stupid. He's done here. He's had 5 seasons or more here in which he hasn't proven himself worthy to be either our future left winger or centre forward. He's on exorbitant wages that he does not deserve and represents absolutely poor value. Furthermore his value can actually diminish further. The mistake we would make is not selling him and allowing him to become deadwood for us, sitting on 200,000 plus a week. Sancho/Grealish make far less now and would offer that value. Right now some teams would take a punt on a blip and still sign him. However the issues with Martial aren't just the poor season. It's the inability to progress the ball on his right side, its the lack of off the ball movement, its the lack of anticipation in front of goal, its the lacklustre pressing and the lack of good decisionmaking/creativity on the left. He's not what we hoped he would be. Some teams will highlight our lack of creativity, which has been a factor due to our lack of creative wide options to support Bruno ( Martial included), but Martial contributes to that by offering nothing when the ball isn't played to feet. Sell him, recoup as much as possible, even if its relatively low, use that money plus more to sign Sancho or Grealish.

Kane and Son want out and I expect will get out in the next couple of years. Without them that Spurs squad is shocking. I just can’t see a player of Martials ability actively moving there.
just can’t see any top team wanting him.

if you take the two best attackers away from most clubs then it’s going to have an adverse affect on the quality of the team.

TrustInJanuzaj

if you take the two best attackers away from most clubs then it’s going to have an adverse affect on the quality of the team.
Personally I think there’d be far more interest than some like to claim. He’s a golden ball winner and a very very talented player. That buys opportunities.

Even in the scenario that isnt the case and he doesn’t get offers, Utd will simply keep him and he will have to be happy to battle for his spot.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
How much more do you think you will see from him?
He's here long enough. He is not up to scratch

Personally I think there’d be far more interest than some like to claim. He’s a golden ball winner and a very very talented player. That buys opportunities.

Even in the scenario that isnt the case and he doesn’t get offers, Utd will simply keep him and he will have to be happy to battle for his spot.
ultimately we don’t know how much interest there is in him.

I just think it’s clear that he needs a new start. He’s not the striker we want or need that’s very obvious now.

How useful will he be as a squad player?

We can use the money and get someone more effective

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He will get one more season to impress. I mean surely he can’t be any worse than he has been this season and after the season he has just had no one is going to pay money for him anyway.
Mentality seems to be a huge issue. We have signed Cavani and how will he react if we get Sancho? Even more competition.
He is nowhere even close to being good enough in terms of us not needing another striker. Of course he was always going to get competition. And if he was actually good enough he wouldn’t be afraid of competition.
I really hope he comes back stronger next season but I fear having been left out of the France squad again might further discourage him.

Hammondo

He's not as good as Son, or even close. I imagine Spurs won't think his wages are worth it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Can see him being sold but not sure where he'd go. 34 year old Cavani is a better striker, he can't play on the right, Rashford is a better left winger, and we are desperate for Sancho who if needed is also a better left winger. As a striker he doesn't really score enough or make the movements needed from your striker, he's not really an impact sub type... He definitely needs to for his own career drop down a bit to where he'd be comfortable as a starter and in a system that will suit him, but I'm not sure where that realistically is.

He's kind of become the forgotten man as he has no future at United as a starter on the left nor up top, but doesn't really suit being a squad player.

Teja

Think we'll be around top four even if you take Bruno and Rashford out of the squad actually.

-------------------- Cavani ------------------
-- Martial -- Pogba -- Greenwood
----------- Fred --- McT -------------------

Shit depth of course, so we'll probably be fecked the moment Pogba gets injured but we've seen this play out before.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
How much more do you think you will see from him?
He's here long enough. He is not up to scratch
Last season was his first season playing as a 9. And was the first time since his debut season under LVG, where he was backed by the manager to be a regular starter. (Considering how he was treated by Mourinho, I don't think his performances were that bad. Certainly no worse than our other wide attackers. Heck his form probably prolonged the man's stay towards the end of his reign.) Half of last season he was being supplied by the likes of Lingard, James and Pereira. All thing considered, the goals tally he ended up with and his overall hold up and link up play was very good IMO.

There are no excuses for his performances this year, but considering his best spell at the club was not that long ago, I'd give him another season to show he can get back to that level. If he was to replicate this kind of season again, then I'd be all for getting rid.

RedDevilzFox

It maybe time to move him on, but that depends on what we can get for him. In this market, not a hell of a whole lot.

Member 101269

He's not consistent enough; on his day he can be brilliant. That doesnt make you a united player, being consistent and breaking your nose to score is a united player. If a swap is on, sell. if a swap isnt on, sell anyway. Jlingz and AM funds might go some way to getting someone better..

Lynty

I reckon he'll regain form next season. The absolute minimum I'd accept for him is £40m, any lower than that he's worth more to us staying at the club.

spiriticon

If he stays next season, he has to give us at least 40 goals surely to make up for all lost time.

littleman

I like how Cavani has changed the landscape.

The Martial brigade transitioning from offensive to highly defensive, talking about "next season" all the time. I think everyone now knows that the burden is on Marital, and not on MUFC. If he were top tier level like Bruno and sulking because we weren't winning championships, that's one thing. But he doesn't seem to know what he's actually worth.

Very amusing to see all these brigades come and go, for various players.

I think we can sell Martial this window, he's on huge wages and relieving us of that would help. Keeping him is fine too, which I suspect we'd end up doing. But we can't depend on him, and thus would need to bring in reinforcements anyway. Given Ole, won't be surprised if we end up keeping. Logical thing would be to sell if there's a decent price offered.

SoCross

Why sell?

He covers both LW and CF. And he’s better than Rashford at CF.

LW - Rashford/Martial/Pogba
CF - Cavani/Martial/Greenwood
RW - Greenwood.

Instead of weakening the squad, focus on getting that RW in along with CDM and CB.

If we are moving anyone on in the summer to lower the wage bill it should be (and as much as I like them but it’s the logical choice) - James, Mata, Matic, Lingard, Pereira, Dalot, Grant.

TrustInJanuzaj

I like how Cavani has changed the landscape.

The Martial brigade transitioning from offensive to highly defensive, talking about "next season" all the time. I think everyone now knows that the burden is on Marital, and not on MUFC. If he were top tier level like Bruno and sulking because we weren't winning championships, that's one thing. But he doesn't seem to know what he's actually worth.

Very amusing to see all these brigades come and go, for various players.

I think we can sell Martial this window, he's on huge wages and relieving us of that would help. Keeping him is fine too, which I suspect we'd end up doing. But we can't depend on him, and thus would need to bring in reinforcements anyway. Given Ole, won't be surprised if we end up keeping. Logical thing would be to sell if there's a decent price offered.
Such a weird post. There literally isn’t and never has been a Martial brigade. There’s a portion of fans who enjoy watching him as player and appreciate what he has given the club. Likely the same people that also believed in his talent. In my book that constitutes support. He’s had a poor season but prior to this was making strides and was one of our best players . This dismissive attitude is just strange.

NotQuiteManc

With Rashford most probably needing surgery after Euro, and lots of rest before ready for next season, I don't think selling Martial would be a wise choice. Rashford might be out for months and needing few weeks at least to get back into form.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
With Rashford most probably needing surgery after Euro, and lots of rest before ready for next season, I don't think selling Martial would be a wise choice. Rashford might be out for months and needing few weeks at least to get back into form.
Good point. We absolutely have to do the right thing by Rashford this summer and not rush him back. We've got plenty of time to plan ahead and he's been run into the ground.

Like I said previously, it's not bad for a team aiming to win things to have the pair of them vying for that left wing berth. Also, Martial's value is probably at its lowest in years, so terrible time to get rid.

macheda14

If we get Sancho in, then we would most likely see him on the left and Greenwood on the right.

TheReligion

Abusive
The Caf is a strange place. Martial was excellent last season and scored a hat full. This season he's been poor but there could be any number of reasons for that. He's also been in and out of the team with injury.

Whilst I agree there's an attitude issue/lethargy with him I don't think he should be written off. Especially when we have a squad which still has Mata and James in. There's clearly space for him to stay.

Also what 'huge' wage is he on?

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
That's never really been in doubt, albeit I think even the declining Cavani has shown us that Martial is lacking in certain things that you'd want your centre forward to do. The problem is that his top level isn't seen often enough. That potential people were so excited by is long gone as a concept. He'll be 26 at the turn of the year and we're still having to view him as a fixer-upper. If there's a market for him I'd like to see us buy a proper centre forward who, if nothing else, is more consistent.
Spot on. No doubt his top level is extremely high, but he shows it so rarely. Think its best for everyone if we shake hands and part ways

Also, if there is anything to these Ings rumors, it might be a very sensible bit of business actually. Sell Martial for 30 million and get rid of his 250,000£/week wages, buy Ings for 10 and put him on a 100,000£/week contract.

20 million we can use for a DM/CB and about 150,000 freed up in wages

Hawks2008

Don't see us moving him on just yet, but if he were to leave nothing of value would be lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.