Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony247

We definitely need an upgrade on Martial but his current wages means he won't leave till his contract runs out. Ridiculous wage structure we have here.

Raven

Agree @ClaytonBlackmoorLeftPeg
Oddly enough, not to side track this, but I remember in fergies last season a few Madrid fans asking why Welbeck doesn't start more as he looks class (he scored and was seemingly everywhere and did such a job until Nani red card in the second leg)

With martial the one time in the first half he looked good was when he linked up with telles and his movement of the ball was really good to get into good spaces
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that his movement was actually pretty good. I'm sure everyone can remember Slab heads ridiculous effort from 40 yards, if you watch the replay, you can see if he just had a quick look up before deciding to waste possession , he would have seen Martial wide open in the inside left channel just waiting for a simple ball through. Whether this Martial puts that chance away or not is a different matter but calling his movement yesterday poor is not in any way true.

Last edited:

BFernandes

For me, it's a straight up mentality issue.

Technically, he's fantastic. He's quick, he's strong, brilliant feet, wonderful control and first touch and he's normally ice cold when he's in on goal. It just all depends on whether or not he can be bothered. And it's this reason I don't think he's the answer for this club beyond this season.

When I think of brilliant forwards over the years I think of Ronaldo, Lewandowski, Cavani, Ibrahimovic, Messi, Rooney, Mbappe to name a few.

Every single of them lead by example on the pitch and demand the highest of standards at all times. They might not be having their best game, but their force of personality demands standards around them don't drop.

Now this is all conjecture because no-one knows what goes on at Carrington, but Martial just doesn't strike me as someone willing to go above and beyond with his football development with the goal of becoming one of the very best in the world. He's been here 6 seasons, and we've had one and a half, possibly two if you're pushing it, good seasons out of him. That's not in any way shape or form acceptable at this level.

He strikes me as someone who is more than happy to just go through the motions and do the bare minimum. I don't see an awful lot of fight in him, and he's far too quick to let his dead drop and start sulking. You can clearly see it on the pitch. Another season or two of doing the same and he'll be 27 with absolutely nothing to show for his career when he should be in his absolute prime. I just don't feel he's got that single minded resolve that resulted in some of the strikers I've mentioned above dominating for years.

His international record shouldn't matter, but it does. France, as a country, are restricted by having to pick players who are only eligible for them, and they still are not impressed with him. So why would we, as a club, with the freedom to sign any player in the world, regardless of nationality, put up with him? Whether he's been used up top of out on the left, one goal in 25 caps is completely damning and isn't someone that should be leading the line for this club. If he's not good enough for them he's sure as hell not good enough consistently for us.

MattofManchester

Was watching a few of his moments from his run of form last season. He never stopped moving. He always wanted to get into places where we could get on the ball, lay it off and make a run. He showed supreme work ethic and wanted to impose himself on the match.

Watch him this season, as well as before that form run. It's the same. Static, making no runs, not getting into games, losing the ball carelessly, not bothering to press or make space. Doesn't even look like he wants to be on the pitch.

For me, that's down to Martial and Martial alone. He showed determination and fight last season to be the 9 that Ole wants, and this season he doesn't seem very motivated again. He's 25 now. He's had the same issue for 6 years. His mindset.

In the past, this rarely changes about players so I don't see it changing now.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Was watching a few of his moments from his run of form last season. He never stopped moving. He always wanted to get into places where we could get on the ball, lay it off and make a run. He showed supreme work ethic and wanted to impose himself on the match.

Watch him this season, as well as before that form run. It's the same. Static, making no runs, not getting into games, losing the ball carelessly, not bothering to press or make space. Doesn't even look like he wants to be on the pitch.

For me, that's down to Martial and Martial alone. He showed determination and fight last season to be the 9 that Ole wants, and this season he doesn't seem very motivated again. He's 25 now. He's had the same issue for 6 years. His mindset.

In the past, this rarely changes about players so I don't see it changing now.
It surely can't be long before he's leaving either. We can't progress without progressive players. I believe Ole knows this already.

Conor

Send him on his way and try and get Haaland in, if we do that and get a DM for Pogba, we would have a title contending team, easily.

Volumiza

Send him on his way and try and get Haaland in, if we do that and get a DM for Pogba, we would have a title contending team, easily.
I agree totally, if getting Haaland was in any way possible (we'd have to question that though as Riaola is his agent) that would be a huge, HUGE, improvement. Haaland + Cavani is a pretty formidable strike force. SHore up that MF and we would have all the tools necessary. Also, if one of Pellistri or Diallo come good that will also be a huge bonus.

Last edited:

MattofManchester

I'm positive there's going to be a complete ban on Raiola clients after this debacle, which I'm honestly not against. I'd be happy to get someone who's older who can do a job till we can give Mason the role, who seems the best fit long term.

Chicharito_

Anyone notice his alarming lack of pace without the ball?

He cannot make a run in behind, I see him try for the first 5 yards and then realise he doesn't get away from the defender then just gives up and jogs. It's making him a very one dimensional player who can only do anything when the ball is played into his feet which becomes easier to defend against compared to those diagonal runs that players like Salah, Mane, Rashford and Sterling do so well.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I like Martial but I wonder if he has eased up once he has gotten in to the French National Team - or is that me just trying to link 2 and 2 together?

GlasgowCeltic

I just think this is him when he feels the threat of competition, was he any different when Zlatan took his shirt

GueRed

Anyone notice his alarming lack of pace without the ball?

He cannot make a run in behind, I see him try for the first 5 yards and then realise he doesn't get away from the defender then just gives up and jogs. It's making him a very one dimensional player who can only do anything when the ball is played into his feet which becomes easier to defend against compared to those diagonal runs that players like Salah, Mane, Rashford and Sterling do so well.
His usual lack of heart, desire and focus.

PLUS current lack of confidence.

MattofManchester

I agree ... but Haaland? If there was any probability of him coming here (which I doubt by the way) I may be able to turn the other cheek for that one. Not many players like him around these days.
I'm of the opinion the big clubs should come together against him, and forego his clients joining your club. What's more important? Your career at the top or your agent? Raiola has stunk up the place long enough.

Volumiza

I'm of the opinion the big clubs should come together against him, and forego his clients joining your club. What's more important? Your career at the top or your agent? Raiola has stunk up the place long enough.
I agree but he holds the signatures of some very sought after players ... and Pogba.

Conor

I'm not sure Raiola is Haaland's agent, I think he was just involved in the Dortmund deal.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Is there a team who could be interested in him? I don´t think we can get much for him tbh.

pascell

His injury looked pretty bad, I think he'll be out for a few weeks. Hope he takes it as an opportunity to come back with a fresh start.
Fresh start? He missed 3 league games because of his petulance and put us in a horrible position in that game, how many fresh starts is he going to be afforded before enough is enough?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Fresh start? He missed 3 league games because of his petulance and put us in a horrible position in that game, how many fresh starts is he going to be afforded before enough is enough?
He's not just going to be dropped until the end of the season is he. He will be given opportunities when he returns and he can use the time out to focus on himself mentally and clear his head. I don't really care for how many opportunities he's had since today, I never thought he was a pure 9 myself in the first place. But as Ole said, injuries can be used as opportunities to mentally re-set yourself and Martial needs to do that now.

RedDevil@84

His injury looked pretty bad, I think he'll be out for a few weeks. Hope he takes it as an opportunity to come back with a fresh start.
That's a lot of wishful thinking. His usual cycle has been good form... injury... days of average performance when he comes back...
So I doubt this time will be any different

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That's a lot of wishful thinking. His usual cycle has been good form... injury... days of average performance when he comes back...
So I doubt this time will be any different
Last season didn't he return from a month out and hit some very good form?

RedDevil@84

Last season didn't he return from a month out and hit some very good form?
1 goal 2 assists in 6-7 games or something in PL, after he returned from a hamstring injury on Oct'19.
I think he hit form mid December when he was back to fitness and did not get injured for rest of season.

Missed him today to be honest no one has his ability when it comes to carrying the ball on form or off form he would of made a difference today. So many missed chances Greenwood & Rashford. Too much selfishness from Rashford.

RedDevil@84

Missed him today to be honest no one has his ability when it comes to carrying the ball on form or off form he would of made a difference today. So many missed chances Greenwood & Rashford. Too much selfishness from Rashford.
Bollocks. He did feck all, all season.

We lost, but didn’t miss him today. Wouldn’t have caused their defence any danger given his current lack of form and general lack of application.

Idxomer

We didn't miss him because of his current form but he at least allows Ole to play his favorite formation without tinkering much.

The thing with Martial is even if he's off form he's not a selfish player and his decision making is better than the front two we had today.
He might be off form infront of goal but he contributes to the game in general.

lex talionis

Anthony at full health wouldn’t have been to make much of a contribution to the game yesterday. He lets his head hang too low, too quickly when things aren’t going right.

When times are tough, the mentally weak aren’t of much use.

Man Utd 0:0 Man City

Chief123

Today’s match probably highlighted how important Martial’s hold up play is for our team. Despite being in terrible form goal scoring wise, his ability to hold the ball up with close control dribbling and link up others around him goes under the radar.

Even when he came on we started being able to move further up the pitch as the ball was beginning to stick. Neither Greenwood or Rashford are able to do that job and are often too keen to get rid of the ball rather than use their physicality like Martial does.

I feel he’s vital for our fluid attacking football style. We could just do with him finding his goal scoring form.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Today’s match probably highlighted how important Martial’s hold up play is for our team. Despite being in terrible form goal scoring wise, his ability to hold the ball up with close control dribbling and link up others around him goes under the radar.

Even when he came on we started being able to move further up the pitch as the ball was beginning to stick. Neither Greenwood or Rashford are able to do that job and are often too keen to get rid of the ball rather than use their physicality like Martial does.

I feel he’s vital for our fluid attacking football style. We could just do with him finding his goal scoring form.
When it’s on point it’s brilliant, was it against West Ham or Southampton where he constantly lost it trying to hold it up? It can be a very handy weapon though!

Raven

Thought he was pretty handy when he came on. I love Rashford and Greenwood but they just can't hold up the ball, we were pinned back in the second half until Martial came on pretty much.

Chief123

When it’s on point it’s brilliant, was it against West Ham or Southampton where he constantly lost it trying to hold it up? It can be a very handy weapon though!
He didn’t play against West Ham which is where we missed him too! Cavani didn’t work first half.

RuudtheRed

He didn’t play against West Ham which is where we missed him too! Cavani didn’t work first half.
Didn't he play against West Ham for about an hour, albeit on the left wing? He wasn't great in that game but he probably created our only clear cut chance in the first half with a near post effort after linking up with Telles.

Martial looked sharp today, did well with his back to goal in advanced positions. He's a more physical striker than Greenwood or Rashford.

OldTrevil

Looked very sharp when he came on. I hope he's fit and firing for the next game

SplitzMagic

He'll come good in February when he realises he's unlikely to get a France call-up.

Once the euros was pushed back another year he took his foot off the pedal and stalled the clutch.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He scored hattrick against Sheffield United last season, let’s hope he can at least score two to give his confidence and his form back. He’s been one of our worst player this season. 0 league goal is not good enough here, need to score goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.