Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
As soon as he came on, everyone started dribbling into their box.

They may have ran into 72 Wolves players, but the intent was there!

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He hasnt lost confidence.He hasnt suddenly gotten more lazy.

Teams are scared of us because of Bruno and they are sitting back or defending particularly deep at the position where both Bruno Fernandes and Martial interlink at (remember their partnership) so we dont have the chance to counter attack any more which has lead to goals from both Martial And Greenwood go down significantly.

When Martial is on the pitch he needs to score goals but the goal scoring duties is spread much more evenly across the front 3 because Martial becomes a creator for players like Rashford and Greenwood whilst being a problem for the defence. Sometime it looks like he does shit all like Firmino and some games he seems vital to the system. Just because he wears the number 9 shirt doesnt mean all of the duty of scoring the goals falls on him.

However when we play a striker like Cavani (and we should buy a more traditional striker to compete with a creative forward), the duties of putting the ball in the net falls much more at his feet as the team should be setting up chances for him otherwise it's easy for him to end up also looking isolated. Players like Rashford and Martial should be out wide trying to cross or make a pass in to him rather than playing like inverted forwards either side of a target man ( which is what happened when Rashford and Greenwood was playing wider side of Cavani - absolutely nothing, no creativity).

Drainy

Played decent when he came on, but for a senior player in his prime, having as many league goals as Wan-Bissaka 15 games into the season is not acceptable.

Rajma

Super evident we are a stronger team with him but the cliched lazy French stereotype regurgitating crowd won't notice it.
It’s not a stereotype if you actually bother watching the game when he’s not on the ball...Just watch him/Cavani for the Rashford’s goal yesterday and you will get it. No wonder he struggles to score any goals with such a poor movement. Cavani has made himself available for a simple roll from Rashford twice while Martial was jogging in the straight line.

Last edited:

CM

His finishing touch isn't there but I still think Martial remains our biggest threat when running at opposition defenders. Before he came on yesterday there wasn't a great deal of that happening and a lot of our attacks were breaking down before they even got started.

OldTrevil

Is this guy back to being only good against tired defenses? it is only then we will know that Cavani is the true heir to Zlatan's 'triumphant' stint at United... Edi's got a few years left in the tank according to Ole, let's see if he can miss as many chances as Ibrahimovic did

Raven

Is this guy back to being only good against tired defenses? it is only then we will know that Cavani is the true heir to Zlatan's 'triumphant' stint at United... Edi's got a few years left in the tank according to Ole, let's see if he can miss as many chances as Ibrahimovic did
I think Cavani has the potential to work with Martial a lot better than Ibra did. I'd love to find a system where we could play both of them centrally, or maybe Cavani coming in from the right might work? He's played there before quite a lot hasn't he?

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
His finishing touch isn't there but I still think Martial remains our biggest threat when running at opposition defenders. Before he came on yesterday there wasn't a great deal of that happening and a lot of our attacks were breaking down before they even got started.
Yet, he had absolutely nothing to do with the winning goal.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Now Cavani has come in, I find my frustrations with Martial growing.

When his dribbles aren't coming off he doesn't offer the workrate, hold up play, or heading ability that Cavani brings.
Or even that goal poacher element either.

Still - he's not been in form - when he's back on it maybe a lot of us will think differently.

Shimo

It’s not a stereotype if you actually bother watching the game when he’s not on the ball...Just watch him/Cavani for the Rashford’s goal yesterday and you will get it. No wonder he struggles to score any goals with such a poor movement. Cavani has made himself available for a simple roll from Rashford twice while Martial was jogging in the straight line.
He was inside the 6 yard box, where you want at least one of your strikers - Ole talks about it all the time how he wants him in there to get the scrappy goals. If he was outside had a ball gone in to that area, guess the criticism would have been that's why he'll never be a striker because he doesn't put himself inside the 6 yard box.

Absolutely think that he should be looking to learn off of Cavani, on his movement but, that little bit there isn't a fair criticism since that's where you want your #9 in those situations.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Now Cavani has come in, I find my frustrations with Martial growing.

When his dribbles aren't coming off he doesn't offer the workrate, hold up play, or heading ability that Cavani brings.
Or even that goal poacher element either.

Still - he's not been in form - when he's back on it maybe a lot of us will think differently.
Yet he was miles better than Cavani yesterday

Raven

Yet he was miles better than Cavani yesterday
Yup. People seem to be getting caught up in a but of a hype train at the moment. Cavanis movement and work rate is superior but that's as far as it goes at the moment.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'm usually harsh on Martial but I also think he's better than Cavani atm. His finishing is crap but he draws players and dribbles well in tight spaces.

Cavani is a far better bench option too (that's never been Martial's strong point).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
When will people stop with this nonsense?
Martial holds the ball and brings others into play better than anyone else on the team.
From passes directly into him yes.
Not from long balls requiring strength.

OldTrevil

I think Cavani has the potential to work with Martial a lot better than Ibra did. I'd love to find a system where we could play both of them centrally, or maybe Cavani coming in from the right might work? He's played there before quite a lot hasn't he?
He has, and there is a bigger upshot for United with Martial mastering the central position than Cavani scoring from some given percentage of successful crosses from Shaw or Telles.

But then again Sanchez was also adept at playing on the right when he joined, and it didn't stop Mourinho from putting Martial back in his place :wenger:

littleman

When will people stop with this nonsense?
Martial holds the ball and brings others into play better than anyone else on the team.
I'm assuming you're one of those "Martial is the most hardworking player at MUFC" people

The answer is NO

NO to both he is hard working and NO to he has the best linkup play than anyone else on team

Cavani is better

Bebestation

As long as Ole values him what we fans says means shit all.

Most of you begged for Jose, who wanted the Lukakus and the Willians.

Let's see where we end up with him - he isnt exactly being 'dropped' by Ole either and is being rotated around the squad.

Bebestation

You're insane :lol: :lol: :lol:

You guys will do anything to drive a wedge between our better players.
He clearly didnt realise it hadn't gone in and was shocked :lol: to me it was so quick it looked like it hit the side of the net

He doesnt get to watch the match from a birds eye view like us fans do!

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
You're insane :lol: :lol: :lol:

You guys will do anything to drive a wedge between our better players.
He’s not wrong. Look at the replays. Martial was dejected - he clearly thought he’d be the one to come on and win the game. Not teachers pet Rashford again

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I'm assuming you're one of those "Martial is the most hardworking player at MUFC" people

The answer is NO

NO to both he is hard working and NO to he has the best linkup play than anyone else on team

Cavani is better
Martial is inconsistent at it, but on his good days he's better at holding the ball up and linking with other players than Cavani has shown for us so far. I didn't really watch Cavani at PSG so maybe there's more to come from him in that sense, but purely in his time here he hasn't been particularly good at that aspect. Martial does have days where it really doesn't work for him and he's poor, but that's not the norm.

Even in the Wolves match Martial came on and his ability to get on the ball, keep it and move the team forward was an improvement over what Cavani had done. Obviously it wasn't from longballs this time since he was playing more on the wing but he's shown plenty of times he can do that well.

littleman

Martial is inconsistent at it, but on his good days he's better at holding the ball up and linking with other players than Cavani has shown for us so far. I didn't really watch Cavani at PSG so maybe there's more to come from him in that sense, but purely in his time here he hasn't been particularly good at that aspect. Martial does have days where it really doesn't work for him and he's poor, but that's not the norm.

Even in the Wolves match Martial came on and his ability to get on the ball, keep it and move the team forward was an improvement over what Cavani had done. Obviously it wasn't from longballs this time since he was playing more on the wing but he's shown plenty of times he can do that well.
Isn't the definition of good at something being consistent at it?

Like, even Lukaku can trap a ball perfectly sometimes, but you wouldn't say he has good first touch.

The double standards we employ to protect our employers or our obsessions is weird

MadDogg

Isn't the definition of good at something being consistent at it?

Like, even Lukaku can trap a ball perfectly sometimes, but you wouldn't say he has good first touch.

The double standards we employ to protect our employers or our obsessions is weird
If Cavani was showing the ability to do it consistently himself that would be a good point. But he hasn't. So far his level of hold-up play and bringing others into play is closer to Martial on a bad day (a bit better but not by a significant amount) than Martial on a good day. Overall Martial's average is higher.

Like I said, I'm basing this entirely on Cavani's performances for us so if he does improve then that'll be great. And obviously his overall workrate is higher.

littleman

If Cavani was showing the ability to do it consistently himself that would be a good point. But he hasn't. So far his level of hold-up play and bringing others into play is closer to Martial on a bad day (a bit better but not by a significant amount) than Martial on a good day. Overall Martial's average is higher.

Like I said, I'm basing this entirely on Cavani's performances for us so if he does improve then that'll be great. And obviously his overall workrate is higher.
?

If at the end of the day, we're trying to say Martial at this current poor, inconsistent level, is the best at holdup play at the club

I don't want to argue with you, because that's like arguing which dwarf is the tallest

A 5 out of 10 in a sea of 4s is not a point of celebration

MadDogg

?

If at the end of the day, we're trying to say Martial at this current poor, inconsistent level, is the best at holdup play at the club

I don't want to argue with you, because that's like arguing which dwarf is the tallest

A 5 out of 10 in a sea of 4s is not a point of celebration
This entire discussion happened because somebody said that Martial doesn't bring the hold-up play that Cavani does. Not necessarily celebrating Martial's ability. Indeed if you were to go back through my posts over the last 12 months or so you would see that I have disagreed with both 'sides' in the past, posters who have (like here) made out he's poor at the aspect but also posters who have been overstating how good he is.

To some extent you are correct with your last point. Rashford and Greenwood have terrible hold-up play. Cavani so far has been average at best. Martial is the only one who has shown actual quality in that regard, but the issue is that he's inconsistent. Not as bad as you and some others make out though. If I were to put it into numbers I'd say he's normally about a 6.5 or 7 out of 10, with the occasional 9 (I'm pretty sure it was Newcastle who he took the piss out of because they couldn't get the ball off him) but also the occasional 2 or 3 (last season against Chelsea in the FA Cup stands out). He does need to get rid of those bad matches, but his average is fine and hopefully he can improve further to those great matches he sometimes has. That kind of describes him as a player overall as well.

Polar

When I read the comments, it sounds like we have a serious striker problem. We don’t, yet... Both Cavani and Martial does a decent job, but we need someone to step up or step in before the next season.

As of now only Greenwood represents our “striker future”, mostly because of his age and talent/potential.

If not Cavani or Martial steps up and prove consistency within April, we have to start looking for a reinforcement in the nr.9 position.

Foxbatt

Greenwood has been terrible for sometime now. Even if Martial doesn't score he brings a lot more to the team. That's why Ole plays him.

Polar

Greenwood has been terrible for sometime now. Even if Martial doesn't score he brings a lot more to the team. That's why Ole plays him.
Agree, but it’s to early to write Greenwood off ;)He has talent and plenty of time to improve.

Martial is now in his prime time. I’ll give him this season to prove he is our main striker for the next seasons. He definitely has to step up the second half of this season.

I really hope Martial makes it. Anyway I will be very happy having Martial as a backup and a squad player. Then we are talking about depth quality :D

Relem

I think he's playing pretty well at the moment, though he's no longer in the goals as much as he used to be. Bizarre, and sad, how his scoring touch has started to elude him this season. A confidence player who will probably struggle if he's benched for cavani indefinitely. I hope Ole can provide him enough game time to rediscover his scoring touch.

Foxbatt

Martial last season was the one you will back to score if he shoots. Now he can't hit anything. I think he is worry too much about scoring.
But he also brings so much to the team. The team play better when he is in the side. He is also not selfish.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Thought he strung things together well when he came in, which you don’t get with Rashford. Still out of real form though. He comes good in the second half of the season and you’re looking good.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He needs to pick it up badly. It's just Bruno and Rashford carrying the team with goals right now. If we don't have any support other than those two we can kiss our title challenge goodbye.

Plymouth Red

He needs to pick it up badly. It's just Bruno and Rashford carrying the team with goals right now. If we don't have any support other than those two we can kiss our title challenge goodbye.
I agree with you but I'd definitely widen the field of vision on this. I wonder sometimes if the coaches have told our midfielders and defenders that there's no pressure on them to throw a few into the 'goals for' column. I cannot understand why we aren't seeing headers hitting the back of the opposition net from centre halves. How could Steve Bruce do it regularly but Maguire can't? And where's our modern version of Denis Irwin? Fred, Pogba, Matic and McT, for example, are indirectly putting pressure on the forwards to do the scoring for us, when they should be getting their names on the sheet much more often. Surely they can see colleagues with confidence issues which are only being made worse by having to carry the team week in, week out.
If it is a tactical decision by the coaches, I disagree with it. From the first whistle, we should test goalkeepers more often with shots from distance, but also recognise that you need someone quick to follow up in the box if there's a loose ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.