Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawks2008

Martial defence force surely must see it now, this guy isn't the guy to lead our attack.

Just give Dortmund or Spurs whatever they want for Haaland or Kane, I can't watch this guy any more.

AKDevil

I hope that's the case.
yep, was about to come and post the same thing. One thing clear about Solskjaer, he knows a United player and if you’re not up to it, gone. Think Herrera aside, and only a maybe, he’s sold or frozen out all those who most could see weren’t good enough. This guy will be next.

Marcus

Sorry. He plays like a prima donna. Needs conditions to be absolutely perfect in order to shine. He certainly is no no. 9. If he is not happy playing as a left sided forward, he should be sold.

SAFMUTD

Feck him honestly just feck him, Im done with this lazy diva. I expect Ole to drop him for the rest of the season, I don't know why wasnt he substituted in the game. A total lack of respect to the club, the fans and specially his teammates to show so little effort. I hope Bruno had totally distroyed him in the team talk after the game.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I've said it for about 2 seasons now, Martial's a diva and he's just not good enough to be one.

Would have been shipped out long ago if Sir Alex was our manager instead of being babied.

Eddy_JukeZ

Imagine if we had Haaland instead.

I'm still in disbelief as to how much of a disgrace he was out there tonight. I'm fuming.

Eddy_JukeZ

Current performances aside, he’s been with us since 2015 meaning he is in his 6th season. Can we say he has improved drastically in that time?

He looks the same player to me since he arrived, which is a bit worrisome.
This season, he's much worse.

He barely dribbles past players nowadays.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I think he'll probably have some good games between now and the end of the season. He needs a move though. He's regularly on a different wave length from his teammates which is just indefensible for someone who's been here playing regularly for many years.

Maybe he'll fulfil his potential elsewhere but I cannot see it happening here.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Average. sell.
Impossible - high wages, long contract, poor since the start of the season.
Ole might have done a Moyes by offering him that lucrative contract.
I really hope he turns it around but so far there's been no signs of improvement yet he's getting worse.

Giggs86

Current performances aside, he’s been with us since 2015 meaning he is in his 6th season. Can we say he has improved drastically in that time?

Improved? Same player..? He regressed tenfold since he arrived, he used to be so much better than he is now. He was a fast and direct player who could dribble past anyone and a great finisher. Now he is a joke, a lazy disgrace.

always_hoping

Last season i would have said yes, right now however he's regressed a lot. After that truly woeful effort tonight I'm not sure what game Ole can trust him to start in again?

croadyman

Think there would have been a genuine chance of us cashing in this summer if a top striker was available, however the best one is not going to be on the market until the summer of 2022 so we either look elsewhere or just give him games only when Eddy needs a rest because he isn't a number 9 that's for certain.

mav_9me

I always thought Martial was one of our most talented players. But obviously talent only takes you so far. Desire and work ethic are equally if not more important. Even when he was doing well say last year my main criticism was he doesn't want it enough and doesn't make enough attacking runs. This year now that he is out of form, his lack of work ethic makes it even worse. It can't be that Ole does not see this. So I would be stunned if he starts the next game. His time is up.

reddevilchennai

One of the laziest player I have watched. Doesn't track back when losing the ball, no movement in the box, he expects ball to come to his feet all the time.

We can't afford to have two out of three players who play in patches during a season. Atleast Rashford works hard and that makes Martial to be sold.

Should be sold for 40m to 50m this summer, PSG might be interested.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
One of the laziest player I have watched. Doesn't track back when losing the ball, no movement in the box, he expects ball to come to his feet all the time.

We can't afford to have two out of three players who play in patches during a season. Atleast Rashford works hard and that makes Martial to be sold.

Hopefully. If they're losing Mbappe, they'll need someone to bully that league and that might be Martial's level.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

He really doesn't. He used to, but ever since the start of last season he's been just as lazy as Martial.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Has a chance to help his team win something
Has a chance to make himself a place at the national team
Is still the number 1 striker, even Rashford had to step aside for him last season
His manager keeps giving chance after chance and never restricts him from doing anything, "unlike Jose"

He does not have any more excuses

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
There hasn't been any excuse for him this season, he had a solid last season, was a top 2-3 player, but started declining and losing his confidence already towards the end of it. Missing easy chances, losing his intensity that was short-lived last season where he improved his running and pressure. None of that is here now, and it's just bad body language, doesn't seem involved or bothered, he looks frustrated but lets it get to a point where he's dejected. Rashford and Greenwood have been bad too, but Martial's shown the ability at times last season to pull the team up, something he wasn't able to do before then. Now he's back to being completely irrelevant if the team is not clicking, and sometimes even when it is. It's a shame, many of us have shown him a lot of support through the bad times, but there's nothing redeeming about what he's put out there this year.

croadyman

There hasn't been any excuse for him this season, he had a solid last season, was a top 2-3 player, but started declining and losing his confidence already towards the end of it. Missing easy chances, losing his intensity that was short-lived last season where he improved his running and pressure. None of that is here now, and it's just bad body language, doesn't seem involved or bothered, he looks frustrated but lets it get to a point where he's dejected. Rashford and Greenwood have been bad too, but Martial's shown the ability at times last season to pull the team up, something he wasn't able to do before then. Now he's back to being completely irrelevant if the team is not clicking, and sometimes even when it is. It's a shame, many of us have shown him a lot of support through the bad times, but there's nothing redeeming about what he's put out there this year.
Yeah wish we could upgrade in the summer but Ole will happily let him continue next season, the trouble with doing that is that I am absolutely convinced he goes off in a huff and Ole will think I can't make Edinson my number one because might hurt his feelings rather than shows a ruthless streak

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Yeah wish we could upgrade in the summer but Ole will happily let him continue next season, the trouble with doing that is that I am absolutely convinced he goes off in a huff and Ole will think I can't make Edinson my number one because might hurt his feelings rather than shows a ruthless streak
I don't think Ole, as nice of a guy as he seems to be, is going to give one damn about Martial's feelings if he keeps performing like that. At best, Martial will compete for the left forward spot but I don't think he'll have that guaranteed starting spot while Cavani is there now and the only thing forcing his hand is a lack of options and the need to manage Cavani's fitness properly as he's quite injury prone in his later years. Martial's had the protection of Ed and ownership, but I have to imagine that's going to change.

tjb

Please, please no more. He makes my eyes hurt. Absolute donkey.
I always thought Martial was one of our most talented players. But obviously talent only takes you so far. Desire and work ethic are equally if not more important. Even when he was doing well say last year my main criticism was he doesn't want it enough and doesn't make enough attacking runs. This year now that he is out of form, his lack of work ethic makes it even worse. It can't be that Ole does not see this. So I would be stunned if he starts the next game. His time is up.
Talented? Honestly, what makes him talented outside of his predicted cut in from the left with his right foot. Last season I thought he was learning to drive more often in different spaces to offer a threat, but even then, his attacking threat has always been limited.
Mbappe is a talent, quick enough to destroy any defence if he gets in behind, has good off the ball movement, good passer of the ball, can control a ball from any area of the pitch, has the vision to make plays at times and even has the technique to shoot from different angles and even on the mood, not consistently, but often enough.
Grealish has talent. Almost impossible to take off the ball without fouling, can dribble through almost any tight spaces, has the off the ball awareness to pick the spots he's going to drive from, the passing ability to dictate the tempo of a game from deep and form one two opportunities, the vision to spot good passes and the technique to execute difficult passes and shots.
At United
Rashford is talented. Has the blinding pace to beat the offside trap, the dribbling ability and acceleration to consistently assault teams on the counter, the aggression to consistently take on defenders on the flank, the first step to create shooting and passing opportunities for himself when cutting in, the shooting power to bang in goals from distance or free kicks, the creativity to spot passes and the technique to execute key passes.

I'm not even going to get to Pogba or Bruno, but my point is to have talent in fooball, you have to be able to consistently show your skillset and put it in a way that helps your team. Martial has one move and outside of this move, 90 percent of the time he's invisible or mucking up team progressions. He doesn't offer enough to be considered talented. He had enough to be considered as having good potential 6 years ago, but to be talented, you have to have more impactful moves, skills, strategies. He doesn't.

croadyman

I don't think Ole, as nice of a guy as he seems to be, is going to give one damn about Martial's feelings if he keeps performing like that. At best, Martial will compete for the left forward spot but I don't think he'll have that guaranteed starting spot while Cavani is there now and the only thing forcing his hand is a lack of options and the need to manage Cavani's fitness properly as he's quite injury prone in his later years. Martial's had the protection of Ed and ownership, but I have to imagine that's going to change.
We need to manage Eddy there is no doubt about that but he should be backup to a proper CF which ain't Tony end of

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Talented? Honestly, what makes him talented outside of his predicted cut in from the left with his right foot. Last season I thought he was learning to drive more often in different spaces to offer a threat, but even then, his attacking threat has always been limited.
Mbappe is a talent, quick enough to destroy any defence if he gets in behind, has good off the ball movement, good passer of the ball, can control a ball from any area of the pitch, has the vision to make plays at times and even has the technique to shoot from different angles and even on the mood, not consistently, but often enough.
Grealish has talent. Almost impossible to take off the ball without fouling, can dribble through almost any tight spaces, has the off the ball awareness to pick the spots he's going to drive from, the passing ability to dictate the tempo of a game from deep and form one two opportunities, the vision to spot good passes and the technique to execute difficult passes and shots.
At United
Rashford is talented. Has the blinding pace to beat the offside trap, the dribbling ability and acceleration to consistently assault teams on the counter, the aggression to consistently take on defenders on the flank, the first step to create shooting and passing opportunities for himself when cutting in, the shooting power to bang in goals from distance or free kicks, the creativity to spot passes and the technique to execute key passes.

I'm not even going to get to Pogba or Bruno, but my point is to have talent in fooball, you have to be able to consistently show your skillset and put it in a way that helps your team. Martial has one move and outside of this move, 90 percent of the time he's invisible or mucking up team progressions. He doesn't offer enough to be considered talented. He had enough to be considered as having good potential 6 years ago, but to be talented, you have to have more impactful moves, skills, strategies. He doesn't.
The talent is what many people consider dribbling, touch on the ball, that equals talent for some. The problem is, he's showing less and less of that as well. There had been times where Martial genuinely astounded me in how he managed to get out of an impossible situation with a dribble between 2-3 defenders, where I don't see anybody else on the team capable of doing that, that's the talent I think most people would point to, but even that's gone now.

tjb

The talent is what many people consider dribbling, touch on the ball, that equals talent for some. The problem is, he's showing less and less of that as well. There had been times where Martial genuinely astounded me in how he managed to get out of an impossible situation with a dribble between 2-3 defenders, where I don't see anybody else on the team capable of doing that, that's the talent I think most people would point to, but even that's gone now.
That's my problem though. That is still one ability. One in which he can't do from the right side of the pitch. You have players like Ronaldo that create opportunites for themselves and others simply through their off ball intelligence yet that isn't considered talent. What seems to happen is that people seem to think having intelligence in the game is simply part of development, when often times its just as difficult to learn as dribbling is. Rashford has become a better dribbler over the years. It's as easy to learn as awareness, composure and other forms of in game mental attributes. What people see as talent is too limited. Martial is at peak age and fitness, there's nothing altering him from performing at his best. I see his poor performances, not as a mentality issue, but simply him not having the range of skills to perform consistently. If Bruno is having an off shooting game, he can pass, he can move off he ball to create space, he has the workrate to create havoc out of possession and he has the intelligent to get in behind the defence, his range of abilities makes it possible for him to be consistently effective. Martial doesn't have that, therefore when he's not able to make those dribbles happen, he is invisible or a negative to the team.

ash_86

39yr Old Zlatan offers twice more than this con forward. This guy plays football like a person working a 9-5 job who can't wait to get home.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
That's my problem though. That is still one ability. One in which he can't do from the right side of the pitch. You have players like Ronaldo that create opportunites for themselves and others simply through their off ball intelligence yet that isn't considered talent. What seems to happen is that people seem to think having intelligence in the game is simply part of development, when often times its just as difficult to learn as dribbling is. Rashford has become a better dribbler over the years. It's as easy to learn as awareness, composure and other forms of in game mental attributes. What people see as talent is too limited. Martial is at peak age and fitness, there's nothing altering him from performing at his best. I see his poor performances, not as a mentality issue, but simply him not having the range of skills to perform consistently. If Bruno is having an off shooting game, he can pass, he can move off he ball to create space, he has the workrate to create havoc out of possession and he has the intelligent to get in behind the defence, his range of abilities makes it possible for him to be consistently effective. Martial doesn't have that, therefore when he's not able to make those dribbles happen, he is invisible or a negative to the team.
But last year kind of went against that assessment, that's why it's extra disappointing to see him perform this way now. Outside of the last few games of the season, he was arguably United's best player and it was without much of his dribbling. His runs were better, his pressure on defense improved, his finishing was there, he had hustle, would score headers, and actually had games where he, of all people, pulled the team to a win. He had an influence on the game and was the genesis of Rashford's great run of game that season. Everybody says there's a player there, and it's true, but that player seems to be sinking deeper into a hole before our very eyes and the patience and credit he built up last season has run out.

ti vu

If Liverpool forwards thrive in chaos, then Martial is best when the team becomes stale in style.

Martial best period had occurred in LVG second season, Mourinho waning months where the situation forced his hand. During OGS explosive honey moon period, Martial was not as good as earlier.

Last season, before his injury, Rashford was our best attacker. We had to bring in Ighalo due to Rashford injury as we feared nobody would produce the goals with Rashford being out injured. Rashford being back after the restart but he's not the same player before. He refused to dribbling, and his running power had been hindered. With this we became more predictable, but it suited Martial more, and he had a great period after the restart. However, since we're more predictable we struggled against team that played low block, and camp in their box.

New season, where everyone were affected by lack of pre season. The players come out with better fitness sooner however means that we need to alter our style to get the result. We improve our crossing, the ability to work a little space for shooting, and most important Cavani & Bruno movement unsettling the opponents low block. Even Rashford can do some attacking work on the right to balance out Wan Bissaka lack of attacking ability. Our style becomes less predictable, and opponents can't afford to just sit deep all the time. With more willing runners, when counter attacking, we also play more direct long ball than previous seasons. As a team we better ourselves, but it seems like Martial lack of anticipation and work rate makes him an odd one out of the group.

Status
Not open for further replies.