Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I love Martial but I'm convinced that it would be better for both parties if he moved on in the summer.
Issue is that we'd need to replace him with a new striker which is the difficult part as I don't see Haaland signing for us.

Djemba-Djemba

Historically, when we need a goal, we've been able to look to our main striker and think "he'll sort this out"

When we need a goal now, Martial will hide. He hates the pressure and can't handle it. His mentality is atrocious.

Serious question... When did he last score a goal when we needed one.. so either when we were behind in a match or level?
He scored to make it 2-1 Vs Sheffield Utd and 1-0 Vs Aston Villa.

Other than that the few goals he's scored were ultimately meaningless when the game was already won.

It really can't be stated enough just how fecking appalling he's been this season. He's been a disgrace.

He's got to go

red4ever 79

He scored to make it 2-1 Vs Sheffield Utd and 1-0 Vs Aston Villa.

Other than that the few goals he's scored were ultimately meaningless when the game was already won.

It really can't be stated enough just how fecking appalling he's been this season. He's been a disgrace.

He's got to go
Fully agree. His attitude and demenour have been off this year. He is not even that good to be honest that we should all get our knickers in a twist to keep. Much better players out there

RUCK4444

If we could replace this passenger with Haaland it would be the single biggest upgrade we've made since... well I can't even think of a bigger upgrade in any position of ours in recent history.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Just prefacing that I only saw snippets of the game and didn't see the whole performance and I can't make a judgement but it sounds from the comments here it was the usual.

It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation because the midfield does not help, that is true.
It isn't a bit of, it is a complete chicken and egg scenario. Martial doesn't get service because his movement is terrible, his movement is terrible and he doesn't get service. There are days when we can be hemmed in and you can legitimately say "okay the service was bad" but when Martial is up front I think I'm more inclined to favour the attacking players and absolve them, rather than absolve Martial because the so-called "service" was bad. I don't think his application levels have earned him enough credit for that.

His movement off the ball and general all-around box poaching play has always been bad since he's been here. I think it has become more evident just how bad his general movement in the opponents half has been over the last couple of seasons now that it is getting to crunch time in his career and his salary means he has little to strive for anymore in terms of pedigree. Even with the purple patch which displayed that his hold up play had improved immensely but not nessecarily his movement nor his link up play.

My mood has kind of crossed over for him now, I nearly pity him and want him to blast some goals in for a confidence boost but you can tell he isn't busting his arse to score goals and if he was, he would get way less shit from the fans. For me it still goes back to the "I don't really wanna watch it anymore" (as someone mentioned). It can be good and it can be bad and even when people say "he has a lot of talent" personally I don't really see the talent. Talent is about making things happen despite it all being up against you, about something special. This whole thing clearly isn't working for him, I still feel like a couple of goals might spur on a flood of goals to close out the season, but this has been a completely wretched and unacceptable season for him even if he goes on a tear from here.

I'll be the same as I was at the back end of last season; "I do not trust that guy up front, be wary going into the season with him as our main striker." Which.. For whatever it is worth is a "who knows what to do with that one" type scenario at club/board/transfer level.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
7 goals in 36 games. Appalling. Scott Mctomminay has the same number as him. John Stones has around that number and he's a CB ffs.

Martial's biggest problem is Martial. Always has been. He can't be bothered to put the graft in to match his ability. If he had the drive that say bruno has he'd be scary good. Martial likes just doing the bare minimum to get by.

Time is up now. Sell him and go buy a killer. Somebody who turns up every single week.

Raven

I'm surprised this thread has been so active. There is only so much a striker can do when the rest if the team is so hell bent on giving the ball away. I could probably count the number of times we strung more than 3 passes together on 1 hand it was that poor. I noticed on a number of occasions that Martial was making himself available for the pass through the lines (as he frequently does) only to be ignored or the pass mishit (as the rest frequently do). Incidentally I think everyone should be fined for their performance but Martial was certainly no worse than anyone else.

GBBQ

Fully agree. His attitude and demenour have been off this year. He is not even that good to be honest that we should all get our knickers in a twist to keep. Much better players out there
Come on! On his day he is unplayable. He's had some great performances for United where he fits in so well to a fluid attack of 1 and 2 touch football. He also had a great game against City where his contribution was more than just attacking play.

The problem is these games are few and far between and it seems to be more an issue of personal motivation to get stuck in than not being good enough. He's a luxury player that we cannot currently afford in the team at this point in the season.

I'd be happy to keep him as rotation for the left wing. Maybe him and Rashford having to fight for a single spot on the team would up their consistency as a result. I don't think we'd recoup much money for him in this climate and unless he's a makeweight in bringing in Sancho its hard to see who would realistically buy him. he's here until 2024 on big wages so i don't really expect we're going to be rid of him any time soon.

Raven

7 goals in 36 games. Appalling. Scott Mctomminay has the same number as him. John Stones has around that number and he's a CB ffs.

Martial's biggest problem is Martial. Always has been. He can't be bothered to put the graft in to match his ability. If he had the drive that say bruno has he'd be scary good. Martial likes just doing the bare minimum to get by.

Time is up now. Sell him and go buy a killer. Somebody who turns up every single week.
And what about the fact that someone like Vardy is on 6 non penalty goals? Is he a shit striker? How about Aubameyang who's currently on 7 non penalty goals? Or perhaps Danny Ings, on 6?

Martial hasn't been good enough whatsoever this season but lots of players have been struggling and I find it very difficult to assign the same blame as I would any other season because I know the mental health problems that I and those I know have gone through. Sunday's performance was one of the worst performances I've ever seen from the lads and it's unacceptable in or out of a pandemic but again it's very harsh to single out Martial for that.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
Oh poor Martial, we lost the midfield battle therefore he couldn't do anything :(

This is the line of reasoning his stans have adopted. Which striker in the league wouldn't do better than Martial for us? Tough question, right?

I'm not even sure if I would keep Martial if he magically regained form. A player that has such a low floor can't be Utd's main striker. He manages to perform even worse when he has competition.

His stats as a winger are utter garbage. It would be madness to keep him as LW backup when we have Pogba, Rashford, Greenwood and some young lads that can play there.

One of our most likeable players and my favourite after Pogba (off the pitch), but we should bite anyone's hand off for 20+ million. Extend Cavani for one more year and get Haaland.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
And what about the fact that someone like Vardy is on 6 non penalty goals? Is he a shit striker? How about Aubameyang who's currently on 7 non penalty goals? Or perhaps Danny Ings, on 6?

Martial hasn't been good enough whatsoever this season but lots of players have been struggling and I find it very difficult to assign the same blame as I would any other season because I know the mental health problems that I and those I know have gone through. Sunday's performance was one of the worst performances I've ever seen from the lads and it's unacceptable in or out of a pandemic but again it's very harsh to single out Martial for that.
He's had 2 good season in 6. His first season and last season he was good. The rest he's been poor to average.

Is that good enough? Not for me.

Raven

He's had 2 good season in 6. His first season and last season he was good. The rest he's been poor to average.

Is that good enough? Not for me.
Except that's not in any way true is it? He had a shite second season and this season he's been shite. His first season and his last campaign were excellent, the other 2 he was fantastic in the first half of both, arguably our best player, only for him to be dropped by Mourinho for Sanchez (who was past it) and the team to collapse after Ole's first run of games.

It's alright to want rid, I'm kind of on the fence at the moment but why lie? He's generally been very good for us but has had worrying lapses in form, especially this season. I think regardless of what happens between now and the end of the season, the only way he's leaving this summer is on loan with an option to buy. What I think is far more likely is that he'll be given another season and if he can't get back to his best then he'll be shown the door.

DoomSlayer

When every attacker in our squad is struggling for form and not scoring goals for a long time, I think we have a bigger problem on our hands than the individual players.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Except that's not in any way true is it? He had a shite second season and this season he's been shite. His first season and his last campaign were excellent, the other 2 he was fantastic in the first half of both, arguably our best player, only for him to be dropped by Mourinho for Sanchez (who was past it) and the team to collapse after Ole's first run of games.

It's alright to want rid, I'm kind of on the fence at the moment but why lie? He's generally been very good for us but has had worrying lapses in form, especially this season. I think regardless of what happens between now and the end of the season, the only way he's leaving this summer is on loan with an option to buy. What I think is far more likely is that he'll be given another season and if he can't get back to his best then he'll be shown the door.
I said he was very good in the first and last one. Can't you read?

The fact you think he was very good in some of the others clearly isn't a very popular opinion nor is it true. Sounds like excuses to me. Martial sulked when we signed Zlatan and he's sulked when we have Cavani. That's not the sign of a great player. Great player are motivated by competition. He hasn't been.

AgentSmith

Vardy is having a poor season by his standards but the main thing about him is the amount he contributes off the ball. The relentless pressing and constant runs in behind help Leicester offensively and defensively enormously.

So even in a season where he only contributes 6 non-penalty goals he’s still performing an invaluable service for the team. And that perfectly illustrates the issue with Martial as a CF.

Martial is so far away from that type of player it’s painful. And it’s made doubly painful because he seems to be able to turn it on if he wants. He was a monster against City in terms of hold-up play and work rate but fast forward 4 days to the Milan game and he starts in the same disinterested style he’s been performing at all season.

If Martial doesn’t score he contributes nothing. If Vardy doesn’t score he still imposes himself on the game.

Raven

I said he was very good in the first and last one. Can't you read?

The fact you think he was very good in some of the others clearly isn't a very popular opinion nor is it true. Sounds like excuses to me. Martial sulked when we signed Zlatan and he's sulked when we have Cavani. That's not the sign of a great player. Great player are motivated by competition. He hasn't been.
You said he's had 2 good seasons in 6. That's true to an extent I guess, in that the 2 he played with Lukaku up top were good. The ones under LVG and especially last season under Ole were very good.

I remember him being in and out of the team under Mourinho and myself and a number of other posters thinking that was ridiculous because he was just about our most productive player whilst also being only 21/22 at the time making him one of the best young players in the league. When Lukaku initially came in, Martial and Rashford were made fight it out for the LW spot, which Anthony won within a month or 2, establishing himself as our starting LW and putting up great numbers and fantastic performances before and over the hill Sanchez was signed (everyone thinking he would take up our vacant right wing) and Martial was shunted to the right and eventually dropped.

The following season he, Pogba and, to a lesser extent, Shaw kept Mourinho in a job far longer than he should have been by playing some delicious football and Martial going on a ridiculous scoring run before Mou was eventually sacked and Ole was brought in. Martial scores a fantastic goal on day 1 of Ole's reign but then the team started to lose form and we crawled to 6th place finish.

Last season he was immense and his post lockdown form was world class, seemingly putting it all together and I, like many thought it would be the watershed moment where he kicks onto being amongst the best in the world. The reason this season comes as such a shock is because this is the worst he has ever been, this is worst than his second season by a stretch and it's incredibly difficult to try to understand why. This season has been so bad that we do have to question his position in the squad but it's just nonsensical to say he's had only 2 good seasons.

Superden

Vardys off the ball movement and constant pestering / pressuring of our defenders was crucial in at least one of the goals (his run off the ball for the tielemens goal), his general energy he brings to the game is in a different league to what Martial offers. The Martial fan boys do need to let go now...

Djemba-Djemba

I'd be trying to get rid of him in the summer if we can.

He's been that bad this season.

All he does is try and win cheap free kicks and penalties by diving. He's absolutely no threat whatsoever. Nowhere near good enough.

Shark

@NotShark
He's just awful these days and that's coming from someone who was glad he seemed to be kicking on last season. He'll probably look decent to good again in the French league but his time here is surely numbered.

red4ever 79

Come on! On his day he is unplayable. He's had some great performances for United where he fits in so well to a fluid attack of 1 and 2 touch football. He also had a great game against City where his contribution was more than just attacking play.

The problem is these games are few and far between and it seems to be more an issue of personal motivation to get stuck in than not being good enough. He's a luxury player that we cannot currently afford in the team at this point in the season.

I'd be happy to keep him as rotation for the left wing. Maybe him and Rashford having to fight for a single spot on the team would up their consistency as a result. I don't think we'd recoup much money for him in this climate and unless he's a makeweight in bringing in Sancho its hard to see who would realistically buy him. he's here until 2024 on big wages so i don't really expect we're going to be rid of him any time soon.
That's nowhere near good enough anymore.

RooneyLegend

One of the few guys in our team that can really play, it makes no sense to get rid of him. Reduce the amount of non footballers we have so we can stop asking him to play struggle football because at this point we know he ain't that type of player.

Martial needs to be moved on. Surely after 6 years we've seen what he's about. Decent player, but very inconsistent and never does much in big games.

He's only here now because United are too cheap to buy a proper top class striker.

klayton88

One of the few guys in our team that can really play, it makes no sense to get rid of him. Reduce the amount of non footballers we have so we can stop asking him to play struggle football because at this point we know he ain't that type of player.
Struggle football? Like not being able to finish countless 1v1s and chances most of strikers bury? I'd understand your point if you were making out he doesn't get the service but I've lost count of the time he's static. I've lost count of the times he is late to make a run so just runs at the nearest player and falls over looking for a foul. He epitomises the term lazy striker. Lost count of the amount of times he runs in to people with the ball. Seriously, the amount of times the balls fell to him in great positions and I've said to myself 'this isn't going in' and true to form it doesn't. He's not a striker. If anything he should be competing with Rashford for LW but he'd have to do even more running there and that's not his cup of tea. I've never heard such a shit defence of a player than this, blaming those around him for his obvious lack of effort. We know he's got the ability but he's pure lazy with a shite attitude.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I was a big fan of Martial but I have given up on him.

The only reason I am still hopeful that he will prove us wrong is because in a United squad I have decided I will always want a False 9 being available somewhere in the squad competing with a more predatory striker.

I dont want two or 3 players similar to Haaland in the squad - I want one Haaland alongside a player like Firmino or another false 9.

I personally think a striker like Haaland is replacing Cavani anyway - so I always wonder who we could one day replace Martial a bit like for like.

Its obviously not happening soon - but is there any false 9's that could take Martials spot and play better than the current martial?

Raven

Martial needs to be moved on. Surely after 6 years we've seen what he's about. Decent player, but very inconsistent and never does much in big games.

He's only here now because United are too cheap to buy a proper top class striker.
Laughable bullshit again. As I've said so many times it's okay to want the guy gone but why lie? He's been great in the big games for us over the years, there is no need to cheapen your point by lying.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Fred, Mctominay and Matic.
Same issue defensively...defensive midfielders that can't hold or attack.
I think you don’t give enough to McT. He played striker and has scored a few when getting forward. He’d make a nice box to box if there was a decent DCM behind

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Just prefacing that I only saw snippets of the game and didn't see the whole performance and I can't make a judgement but it sounds from the comments here it was the usual.

It isn't a bit of, it is a complete chicken and egg scenario. Martial doesn't get service because his movement is terrible, his movement is terrible and he doesn't get service. There are days when we can be hemmed in and you can legitimately say "okay the service was bad" but when Martial is up front I think I'm more inclined to favour the attacking players and absolve them, rather than absolve Martial because the so-called "service" was bad. I don't think his application levels have earned him enough credit for that.

His movement off the ball and general all-around box poaching play has always been bad since he's been here. I think it has become more evident just how bad his general movement in the opponents half has been over the last couple of seasons now that it is getting to crunch time in his career and his salary means he has little to strive for anymore in terms of pedigree. Even with the purple patch which displayed that his hold up play had improved immensely but not nessecarily his movement nor his link up play.

My mood has kind of crossed over for him now, I nearly pity him and want him to blast some goals in for a confidence boost but you can tell he isn't busting his arse to score goals and if he was, he would get way less shit from the fans. For me it still goes back to the "I don't really wanna watch it anymore" (as someone mentioned). It can be good and it can be bad and even when people say "he has a lot of talent" personally I don't really see the talent. Talent is about making things happen despite it all being up against you, about something special. This whole thing clearly isn't working for him, I still feel like a couple of goals might spur on a flood of goals to close out the season, but this has been a completely wretched and unacceptable season for him even if he goes on a tear from here.

I'll be the same as I was at the back end of last season; "I do not trust that guy up front, be wary going into the season with him as our main striker." Which.. For whatever it is worth is a "who knows what to do with that one" type scenario at club/board/transfer level.
Pretty much this.

In 22 PL apps, 17 of those playing CF, Martial has only managed 43 shots, 21 on target. Thats 1,9 shots pr game, 0,9 shots on target pr game. For comparison, Rashford having mostly played LW (and been in shite form and halfway injured) have managed 63 shots, 31 on target in 29 apps.

Never mind his poor conversion rate this year, the main problem is that hes not getting at the end of chances, and its not down to poor service since we have a LW that offers more of a goal threat

el3mel

I won't sell him, but there's no way in hell we should enter next season depending on him as main striker, especially with Cavani getting ton of injuries. Signing a long term striker in summer will be a top priority.

Martial can be a useful squad option to cover on both left flank and striker positions but he's unreliable as a long term main option.

lex talionis

I'm ok with Martial as a squad option to close out wins or fill up time in lost causes, but no way should we rely on him to take the next step forward as a club. But if we can find a club willing to part with 20m and accept his wages, I'm all for it. There's real attacking quality, and players with heart, in the market this summer that can be brought in and we can't take a pass on these players because we're too lazy or scared to offload Martial.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm ok with Martial as a squad option to close out wins or fill up time in lost causes, but no way should we rely on him to take the next step forward as a club. But if we can find a club willing to part with 20m and accept his wages, I'm all for it. There's real attacking quality, and players with heart, in the market this summer that can be brought in and we can't take a pass on these players because we're too lazy or scared to offload Martial.
I'm not - he's on 200k+ a week.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Shearers half time analysis of his lack of movement was damning, absolutely sulking at Cavanis signing.

One of the weeds in the garden that needs removing as soon as possible.

When Andre Silvas available for £26m , then there's your bottom line you d take for Martial and re invest in Silva Asap. In fact I'd be sorting the deal out now.
What's so good about Andre Silva? He doesn't look that good when I see him. Not bad but not exactly United level - is it just people hyping him after 1 good year with Frankfurt? The caf wanked over Haller over similar logic

Laughable bullshit again. As I've said so many times it's okay to want the guy gone but why lie? He's been great in the big games for us over the years, there is no need to cheapen your point by lying.
Semi finals? Finals? Big games in Europe? Crunch league games.

Don't recall him doing anything of note really.

Pickle85

He's looked short of both confidence and desire so far this season. Doesn't put in anywhere near enough of a shift and offers next to nothing in behind. Also, weirdly he seems to have gone backwards as far as his dribbling is concerned. In his first season or two he was twisting players into pretzels but he's posing fewer and fewer problems with the ball at his feet these days. Given that that was where he seemed to really excel, he's looked basically ineffective much of the season. It's a real shame; I don't think we'll ever see him hitting anything close to the heights some (including me) expected. He seems another player that's happy to pick up a paycheck and settle for mediocrity. Needs replacing.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I'm not - he's on 200k+ a week.
Which is part of the reasons all those 'get rid' posts make no sense. Martial is never letting go of that contract and you're not going to move him until it's expiring so might as well find a way to get some use out of him. At this point, he should just be competition and a rotation option for CF and LW. It's a really bad situation, and it's hard to believe he's going to turn it around sometime soon, but United made their bed by handing him (and Rashford) a contract way beyond what their actual worth is.

VivaRonaldo85

Appears to have peaked last season. The drop off in his all round game this season is stark. I still believe he is good enough as a squad option as cover at LF and CF and could play in early round cup games etc. Whether he would want to be that guy remains to be seen. However, there is absolutely no way on this earth he can be our starting centre forward and main goal getter if we have any ambition of winning a league title any time in the near future.

Stacks

I was a big fan of Martial but I have given up on him.

The only reason I am still hopeful that he will prove us wrong is because in a United squad I have decided I will always want a False 9 being available somewhere in the squad competing with a more predatory striker.

I dont want two or 3 players similar to Haaland in the squad - I want one Haaland alongside a player like Firmino or another false 9.

I personally think a striker like Haaland is replacing Cavani anyway - so I always wonder who we could one day replace Martial a bit like for like.

Its obviously not happening soon - but is there any false 9's that could take Martials spot and play better than the current martial?
kind of agree. As a squad option he is no issue. Maybe his wages are a bit high for a squad option. His agent is a genius

Status
Not open for further replies.