Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Also his usual lack of runs in behind and inability to get on the end of crosses in the box. A goal poacher he is not. Not a bad performance but he’s never going to be a complete striker, is he?
a run in behind led to the first goal and a connection with a cross led to a big miss!
i think heading is still the biggest weakness. runs-in-behind shouldn't be that big an issue when he's partnered with rashford. just like benzema-ronaldo.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
a run in behind led to the first goal and a connection with a cross led to a big miss!
i think heading is still the biggest weakness. runs-in-behind shouldn't be that big an issue when he's partnered with rashford. just like benzema-ronaldo.
Yes. Was going to say that.

Plus Rashford’s been better at getting on the end of crosses this season, which also makes their partnership more rounded.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The sort of performance where you dust off the peak and trough graph, as that was a peak type performance, usually followed by periods of optimism he can keep it up!

spiriticon

I bashed him so much over the years and then I saw Wout Weghorst :lol:

I'm sorry Tony. Still though, would appreciate some more consistency and fitness.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
We look so much better when he’s on the pitch. Is it bad that I want him to stay next season?

Abhinav

He is a nice support striker but lacks the hunger to get into the box. With Rashford on the left, we get decent attacking balance with Martial holding it up and Rashford making runs behind. Without Rashford, it is all too comfortable and we lack the cutting edge.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He still needs to be replaced with a world class striker but having him in the team compared to Weggy is chalk n Cheese.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
‘As you can see, when he is on the pitch, the team is playing better’.

UnitedRepublic

He had a okey game he could of been more involved. He calls for the ball asap but gets ignored a lot, his teammates needs to have faith in him he plays with his back turned and makes things happen. I think he’ll be very hungry for a goal against Sevilla now.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think that people need to accept two realities and make peace with. Martial played through injury and then did his knee a couple of seasons ago which may have made him definitely injury prone. Martial is a playmaking forward, he isn't going to make a lot of runs behind the defense and he isn't going to be in position to poach because it would put him at the opposite end of where he is the most impactful and where he thrives.
The fitness issue is a problem that can be mitigated by the addition of at least one high level backup or someone that can develop into an upgrade down the line. The style issue isn't an issue, for us it's mainly an asset because Rashford is an inside forward that is poacher and more happy to play off the ball then create for others, he is more comfortable as a finisher, the thing that needs to happen though is that someone like Antony needs to shut the second post more often, he did it brilliantly today but too often he isn't following what is happening on the opposite wing which is an issue because since Martial is in general involved in the build up, he is only a late option down the middle.

As an illustration of what I mean people should think about Real Madrid when Ronaldo, Benzema and someone else were paired. The typical action was that the wide players would link up with Benzema and find themselves in a shooting or crossing position and the target of the center would often be the second post or a back pass to Benzema. The same was true with Bale when he was used centrally. Due to how actions are developed it's nearly impossible for the central attacker to be available early at either posts or close to the the goal line, he is more likely to be around the penalty spot

Anustart89

We look so much better when he’s on the pitch. Is it bad that I want him to stay next season?
I'd like to keep him too considering that nobody would be willing to pay anything for him. I wouldn't want us to not chase another top-quality striker though, because that would obviously be mental.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
He'd be a lot better if he wasn't so averse to being in the opponent's box. His complete lack of movement when Sancho put a ball across the mouth of the goal early in the second half also just highlight his deficiencies. Good footballer, but definitely not a great striker. Needs to be upgraded if we want to start competing for major trophies.

Sylar

Going to be key in our next two games. Thursday game, travel back and then another game on Sunday. We need him for both, its so obvious and we probably need him for at least 70ish minutes for both games to stand a chance.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

The first goal was a great moment of proper footballing intelligence and ability. Good performance although he faded a bit, but you can clearly see what he brings to the table.

Maybe I am too old school but I just like to watch players like him, Eriksen or even Sancho who are really good with the ball at their feet.

croadyman

Seeing Weggy’s difficulty in controlling the ball first time, shows the difference with him and Martial. Remains incredibly frustrating to watch and could do more, but if reports are true about him staying next year with another no9 joining I think we’d be happy with the options.
I just wonder IF we could get to the bottom of his injury problems like Spurs seemed to manage with Kane's ankle problems

ti vu

Dont think that is unlucky, he just isnt that great at heading. He is great at other things though. I think that Martial would have been a fantasic player in the 2 striker era, Martial dropping deep and a poacher type player doing the scoring. Martial is great at dropping into midfield and holding up the ball but he does miss a bit of that pure striker instinct to be at the right spot for a tap in.

Hopefully he can stay fit because Weghorst and Martial is a difference like night and day.
He can be the Yorke, if we have a Cole for him to play off. As bad at Lukaku in the build up, Martial and Lukaku used to look a decent pair under Mourinho from time to time.

I am still not sure about making Sabitzer permanent as people suggest he would be Bruno back up at no 10 position because Eriksen and Martial can both play there as no 10 or supporting forward when we have a starting 9 and upgrade on Eriksen in CM position. Even DvB can play there with his knack of good movement around the box. Sabitzer rumored wage is 200+k per week which is very expensive for a back up player on 2+ year contract. Sabitzer IMO has not proven himself to have a bigger role than rotation, so not worth it at that wage.

ti vu

I just wonder IF we could get to the bottom of his injury problems like Spurs seemed to manage with Kane's ankle problems
Kane was not injury prone. He has some ankle injuries here and there every season in the past after a tackle, come together in games, but overall he's healthy.

Martial becomes injury prone and injured himself during training days. It's not easy to fix that else Phil Jones could have come back as CB back up now with our latest injury crisis in defense.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Having a number 9 makes a difference in the team eh ?

Issue is that we compare him to Wout and the difference is huge.

Hope he continues like that for the rest of the season, but I will not come into the Martial FC, I have lost faith in him years ago.

We need a new striker and Martial is not a guy who will accept being number 2.

r0663664

Worships Man City
If Martial can stay fit, he can be the backup striker when we need to rotate the squad. I don't want ETH to spend big on a striker, I think signing a young upcoming striker would be my preferred option. We won't have a lot of budget so money to improve their area of the team.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Possibly, but its still difficult to imagine him as a 25+ goal a season striker and we'd definitely need to bolster imo.

Shimo

He'd be a lot better if he wasn't so averse to being in the opponent's box. His complete lack of movement when Sancho put a ball across the mouth of the goal early in the second half also just highlight his deficiencies. Good footballer, but definitely not a great striker. Needs to be upgraded if we want to start competing for major trophies.
At first viewing it seemed like ball was played across the box but, replays showed Sancho was actually playing it back to Martial but a deflection took it across the goal. He definitely could increase his numbers with a bit more playing the poacher. Was watching Owen and Cole give their views on yesterdays' game and when it came to Martial, both were harping on he isn't what we need because he is not in the box, he is dropping deep and wanting the ball, that he should be in the box and not worry about the pretty football and just get tap-ins. Kept going on about Halaand who barely touches the ball and just gets in positions to score the goals.

But, that's completely ignoring ETH vision for how he wants to play, which is not a striker that just sits around waiting for a chance at a goal. He had that in Ronaldo. It's why it's quite clear that we play better when he is on the pitch because of his ability on the ball and link up with other aided by his hold up play.

If he stays fit though, he will have to add that dimension of breaking his neck at times to get into the 6 yard box, trust that the crosses or ball will be there, think ETH/Benni will work on that with him if they do manage to get his fitness in check.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
At first viewing it seemed like ball was played across the box but, replays showed Sancho was actually playing it back to Martial but a deflection took it across the goal. He definitely could increase his numbers with a bit more playing the poacher. Was watching Owen and Cole give their views on yesterdays' game and when it came to Martial, both were harping on he isn't what we need because he is not in the box, he is dropping deep and wanting the ball, that he should be in the box and not worry about the pretty football and just get tap-ins. Kept going on about Halaand who barely touches the ball and just gets in positions to score the goals.

But, that's completely ignoring ETH vision for how he wants to play, which is not a striker that just sits around waiting for a chance at a goal. He had that in Ronaldo. It's why it's quite clear that we play better when he is on the pitch because of his ability on the ball and link up with other aided by his hold up play.

If he stays fit though, he will have to add that dimension of breaking his neck at times to get into the 6 yard box, trust that the crosses or ball will be there, think ETH/Benni will work on that with him if they do manage to get his fitness in check.
I think the reason Sancho tried to play it back was because neither Martial nor Anthony had moved or looked like they were about to make a run towards goal.

Your final paragraph is the crux of the issue though. it's great that Martial gets involve din the build up play, but unless he's willing to move heaven and earth to get into the opposition box then it's all for nothing. It's not something we've ever really seen much of with him, and it's arguably the biggest thing we are missing right now.

croadyman

I think the reason Sancho tried to play it back was because neither Martial nor Anthony had moved or looked like they were about to make a run towards goal.

Your final paragraph is the crux of the issue though. it's great that Martial gets involve din the build up play, but unless he's willing to move heaven and earth to get into the opposition box then it's all for nothing. It's not something we've ever really seen much of with him, and it's arguably the biggest thing we are missing right now.
Yeah it's different to Rashford improving in the air because has got the height to get on the end of things whereas Martial hasn't

Raven

Yeah it's different to Rashford improving in the air because has got the height to get on the end of things whereas Martial hasn't
I'm sure there's only like and inch or 2 between them. Martial isn't a particularly small lad. I noticed him working hard to get on the end of chances yesterday as well but it isn't always possible when you're the guy knitting it all together.

Sea-Cow

I know he will never change so I should change my expectations, but I would kill if he would wake up one morning desperate to score goals. Just a Ronaldo-level obsession with getting his name on the scoresheet no matter what. For him to be properly annoyed if we win 4-0 but he hasn't scored.

I would love to see this and it would make me love Martial. As it is currently.... despite the fact that a blind man can see he has ability that Wort can only dream of, I get so furious when our number 9 is out on the left-wing swapping nothing passes with the left-back, and no forward within ten yards of the opposition box. I want a striker that opposition CBs hate playing against, and dread going up against because they know they are in for a terrible afternoon. But currently I don't think a youth team CB would have anything to fret about from Martial, they probably wouldn't cross paths except for when the CB is easily outjumping Martial on punts up field when we're trying to clear our lines....

Wrecking ralf

Can anyone confirm that Martial hasn’t got injured again yet. He’s still fit for Thursday right?

FerociousCorgis

took too many chances. The reason i said i wouldnt have played either him or eriksen from the start today. Back to WW up top and looking like shit prob.

Status
Not open for further replies.