Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't think it takes some miracle work to get Martial going again. He was class in 19/20, and since then he's had a ton of trouble with injuries. He lost some form which happens to everyone, Cavani stepped in, lost some confidence and then the injury problems started. Then we signed Ronaldo and it was pointless for him to stay. Its not that long ago that he had an excellent season. Finally has a full pre season, and he's finally in a functional, attacking system. Its the perfect situation for him to actually hit, and he's doing just that.

Chief123

My concern isn’t Martial’s consistency.

I’m more concerned with Ronaldo potentially coming back into the team. A lot of the plays we’ve seen just wouldn’t happen with Ronaldo in the team.

Raven

He only signed in October you lunatic :lol: he was our first choice striker whenever he was available.
Fair enough, didn't realise it was that late... Still, October to January? Must have had some whack off it.

Shimo

Long may it continue. In a front 3 that is fast and fluid, he is a touch of class for sure. Saw this type of form with him when along with Rashford, Greenwood and Bruno during Project Restart they were all playing rather well. ETH already said it but, will be down to how much he wants it and that will have to be seen in the games where he and/or team are not playing well. How much he continues to fight/make runs and just play with a smile so to speak.

mu4c_20le

Fair enough, didn't realise it was that late... Still, October to January? Must have had some whack off it.
I mean that link shows that he started the season on fire, until Cavani came along. Then he started playing more on the left, or when he's injured. Until he himself fecked up his knee.

InfiniteBoredom

I mean that link shows that he started the season on fire, until Cavani came along. Then he started playing more on the left, or when he's injured. Until he himself fecked up his knee.
No it doesnt. I don’t know which link are you talking about but he scored his first league goal in December 17, missed 4 games through suspension and illness. That’s a weird ass definition of ‘started the season on fire’.

He was beyond dogshite that season, that’s a fact. He started that season as first choice striker, that’s a fact. He remained first choice striker until January, even with Cavani in the squad, that’s also a fact.

mu4c_20le

No it doesnt. I don’t know which link are you talking about but he scored his first league goal in December 17, missed 4 games through suspension and illness. That’s a weird ass definition of ‘started the season on fire’.

He was beyond dogshite that season, that’s a fact. He started that season as first choice striker, that’s a fact. He remained first choice striker until January, even with Cavani in the squad, that’s also a fact.
Never mind, I was looking at end of last season. Where he WAS the main man.

flappyjay

Thing is when he plays well as a 9 he elevates the wingers playing alongside him. He was heavily involved in all the gaosl today. Hopefully he recaptures the form from 19/20.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Looking forward to seeing how he does, even as a neutral. Always had a lot of talent.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
If Ronaldo ends up staying after the crap he's pulled this window.... Then who cares what he likes or doesn't like.
Martial should play if he can get back to form, makes our attack more fluid.

Ronaldo should not be playing every game at this point anyway, that won't get the best out of him, despite his own wishes.
Ronaldo lost his spot cause of Martial and being an idiot. He can rot on the bench or the reserves for all I care.
Martial deserves to start, lets see jow long he will play like that but if he does, he starts

UnitedRepublic

I do think him and Ronaldo can play together, it doesn’t have to be either or. Martial likes to come deep at times playing forward balls and making one twos and he’d play the Benzema role that I think he wouldn’t mind doing when playing with Ronaldo but then we’d have to bench Bruno.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The thing is unless he's scoring goals, he'll always be criticised. See 20/21 where he lost his finishing touch
He was poor 20/21 apart from finishing too. His dribbling disappeared, his back-to-goal play declined, his passing was less sharp, his assists declined. All apart from goals disappearing.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I mean that link shows that he started the season on fire, until Cavani came along.

he was *abysmal* at the start of 20/21. worst i've seen him play. worse, much worse than jose's first season. worse than the drop off at the end of ole's first half season. he could do nothing right.
cavani took his spot on merit after good sub appearances vs martial continuing to be awful.

the palace highlights looked awesome. i can't accept the real deal is back yet though. wait for the season to start!

MadMike

We had pre-season Pirlo. Now get ready for pre-season Pele!

Happy he has found his mojo. Too many prior false dawns, however, mean I find it more prudent to wait a few months before celebrating. I hope he keeps this up though.

Kearnkoff69

The Martial rollercoaster is a heck of a ride, though it is often to the detriment of our team. Hopefully he carries his work rate and consistency into the regular season and we get another highpoint.

OverratedOpinion

I do think him and Ronaldo can play together, it doesn’t have to be either or. Martial likes to come deep at times playing forward balls and making one twos and he’d play the Benzema role that I think he wouldn’t mind doing when playing with Ronaldo but then we’d have to bench Bruno.
Ronaldo? That's so 2008.

Red00012

I think his last start for us in the PL was Everton ( 1-1), he scored that day and he was our best player until he was subbed off with an injury.

Olecurls99

I don't know if Martial is that different outside of his finishing coming back. On Rashford's goal Martial did something that he often does which is to not shoot from awkward angles and try to find a teammate or control the ball, if VDB doesn't square the ball to Rashford but instead shoots and miss, then Martial is criticized.

From what I have seen during this preseason none of our attackers are doing new things, Rashford is playing the way he did before his injury, Martial is playing the way he did in 19/20, Sancho is playing the way he did from the right for Dortmund as more of a playmaker and Bruno is playing the way he did during his first handful of games for United.

I wouldn't be surprised if ETH simply showed them tapes of their own very good games.
Great point

Olecurls99

If we trust him that he can be first choice no9 then we must sell Ronaldo and buy another forward who can play on the wing or low budget striker who is happy with backup role.
People try to underestimate this (and try to explain it with "season is long" and shit) but despite huge number of games, injuries and specific tactics for specific games there is always first 11 player who plays most of games and substitute who plays less. Especially on striker position. Striker is like a gk. You must have clear no1.

Ronaldo will never accept rotation. Absolutely never. He will sulk, cry, fly to Portugal and ruin good mood in a team. Martial, despite i love the guy, has mentality problem. He is not a fighter. When he is dropped he gives up. So in short; if Ronaldo stays, we can forget on this Martial.
What about Rashford as the winger/backup? I think he could work in a different way in a functioning team

MUFC OK

Martial has looked in preseason like a new player. His goals have been superb, his control immaculate. He looks like he's got all the confidence in the world. Now what happens when Ronaldo insists he plays the 9?
We need both this season. So many games and injuries will happen. We should pick based on form and the opponent. If we were to go into the season with only one senior striker we'd be asking for serious trouble.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I must’ve dreamed about when he displaced Rashford from the bench in 17/18, or when he and Pogba kept Mourinho in the job for months in 18/19, despite yet again being overlooked in favour of Sanchez.

Lazy narrative that has zero basis in fact.
Anytime I read someone talking about how he can’t handle or doesn’t like competition, I immediately dismiss their opinion. They’re just repeating what they heard, it’s not that uncommon but it shows they have no clue what they’re talking about.

Dominos

We need both this season. So many games and injuries will happen. We should pick based on form and the opponent. If we were to go into the season with only one senior striker we'd be asking for serious trouble.
The issue we have is, neither are really a rotation sort of player. Ronaldo throws a public hissy fit every time he's subbed or benched, and Martial has tendencies to have poor seasons due to his sulkiness.

UnitedRepublic

Martial is no longer with his wife/girlfriend that he has a son with since earlier this year.

He also got a daughter with another woman.

Now he can fully focus on football for the rest of his career, no more distractions. Hopefully football and his kids can bring him joy.

Dominos

Anytime I read someone talking about how he can’t handle or doesn’t like competition, I immediately dismiss their opinion. They’re just repeating what they heard, it’s not that uncommon but it shows they have no clue what they’re talking about.
I'm not exactly sure what it is that causes Martial to have poor seasons, but I can see how an assumption is made that there must be something wrong with his attitude for such a talented players to have so many bad periods.

In 7 years he's really only had 2 overall good seasons in 15/16 and 19/20. He shouldn't be regularly going through such long periods of such poor form if his attitude was right. He had his best ever season in 19/20 and followed that up by scoring 9 goals in 59 appearances in the last 2 seasons.

foolsgold

Martial has looked in preseason like a new player. His goals have been superb, his control immaculate. He looks like he's got all the confidence in the world. Now what happens when Ronaldo insists he plays the 9?
Ronaldo probably isn't going to be here. Regardless, the days of players insisting on anything are gone. ETH isn't Ole.

Listar

I know its preseason but please tell me we are getting our 2019/20 season Tony :drool:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He didn’t press in the 2019 season -

so he could be even better than that season.

Status
Not open for further replies.