g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
 Antony image 21

Antony Brazil flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jesperjaap

Lets be honest, Hag has done alot of great things but , outside of wonder boy Rashers, he hasn't got much of a tune from our forward line/offensive players.

Bruno looks half the player, he really does.
Half the player he was when he joined maybe, he has been much better than the 18months or so preceeding Ten Hags appointment though, wrong thread but take away his work rate, personally think he has always bene over rated here due to his great first 6months or so when everything came off

Telsim

I didn't think anyone would threaten Alexis Sanchez's place as the worst transfer in the history of the club anytime soon, but Antony sure is doing his best. Still time, but not looking good. Not at all.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's just an average player. Lacking in too many things to ever become a top one too, he will never come to live up to that fee we paid.

Might be knee-jerk but he never stood out to me at Ajax either, not sure what ETH saw in him. He's very limited unfortunately.

Also 0 assists in the league, no wonder our strikers barely get chances when they have wingers like him.

redzombie

a bit meh, Pellistri looks the better prospect, probably gone in 18 month for a quarter of the fee, at least he's not doing that stupid Dracula pose thing anymore.

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Maguire was/is better at defending than Antony is at attacking.

Oh my god, our transfers. :lol:

kundalini

Amazed he stayed on the pitch as long as he did. Absolute rubbish. His crosses are a joke.

Kopral Jono

I thought it was a mistake of Ten Hag's doing in taking him off for Fred. He did well covering for Wan Bissaka defensively and even gave Arsenal a few scares on the attack despite not being at his best. A straight swap with Eriksen would have made a lot more sense.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I thought it was a mistake of Ten Hag's doing in taking him off for Fred. He did well covering for Wan Bissaka defensively and even gave Arsenal a few scares on the attack despite not being at his best. A straight swap with Eriksen would have made a lot more sense.
I think ETH has his hands tied either way. McFred at the base of the midfield together won't work either.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why can’t he pass more than 5 yards? Has zero passing ability

zaafi

Absolutely need Sancho to play RW instead of him for a while. Antony can come on as a sub when the defenders are tired, but even then I don't expect him to do much.

GlasgowCeltic

its not a level playing field but if it was he’d start next season as 4th choice on the right behind the other three

Baneofthegame

His performances are a bit worrying, couldn't beat Zinchenko, couldn't pass the ball, worrying.

Newtonius

I didn't actually think a transfer could get any worse than Alexis or Maguire, what is he good at again?

Edit: I mean hes slow to release on the counter and weak in possession of the ball its genuinely amazing ETH was so desperate for him.

Last edited:

Erics_Collar

Imagine spending 180 million EUR on two wingers who wouldn't even make your strongest starting XI.

One of them was so bad, he was told to feck off for a while and "reset", and no one batted an eyelid. And he's the better of the two!

Staggering.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
The fact that we haven’t had anybody on the right wing for about a decade temporarily made him seem a good player. But he just doesn’t do anything. Maybe he will come good, but right now he is nowhere near the standard.

jamesjimmybyrondean

He can't dribble. His shots are weak and he isn't fast. He also tries too hard to pull off moves that are difficult. 100 fecking million

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Imagine spending 180 million EUR on two wingers who wouldn't even make your strongest starting XI.

One of them was so bad, he was told to feck off for a while and "reset", and no one batted an eyelid. And he's the better of the two!

Staggering.
Dan James has outperformed the pair of them combined for total goals and assists. Thats how bad they have been.

Dan James 50 apps 6 goals and 7 assists.
Sancho and Antony combined 52 apps 8 goals and 4 assists.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Honestly, what he offers is not worth £85m more than what Pellistri and Amad can offer.

In games where we try to counter he's completely useless: Takes too many touches and can't beat a man for pace. Should only play when we know we're going to dominate.

The money we spent on him will guarantee he keeps getting chances. Hopefully he improves.

Infra-red

Early days and it's not his fault we lost today, but he has looked absolutely terrible so far. Too early to properly judge him though- needs at least another 12 months to see if he can handle the step up to the Premier League.

marktan

Thing is, I watched like 3 highlight performances on youtube, his goals and assists from the previous season and I knew he was crap. A couple of things stood out

1) 95% of his goals and assists were him cutting in and having a shot / making a cross, often against poor goal keeping / defending

2) He almost never took on a man, because he doesn't have the acceleration to beat players. His main abilities are good close control, good shot/cross, and fast when running.

Given all that, you really have to question the scouting that took place that saw us spend £80m on this guy. I know he's Ten Haag's picks, but as good a coach he may be, our old school methadology of allowing the manager to scout players just like with Mourinho and Ole is still actively hindering us. We need to move on and let the scouting team pick players.

Liverpool are a good example - Mane and I believe Robertson had great games against them and so Klopp wanted to sign them both. But it's now started to backfire - Darwin had a great game against them and then they signed him for £80m, but it was an outlier, not his actual level. We need to do more research on our signings.

Bondi77

To be fair it was his best performance overall since joining but it was still a 5/10.

He's not playing well at all but he's 22. Can't give up on someone that young this early. Victim of terrible planning by our backroom staff which resulted in us paying £80m for him. Not his fault.
Have you heard of a footballer called Daniel James?

KeanoMagicHat

We play better with him on the pitch, shape wise, but he’s such a non-event on it. Good skills and dribbling but not enough pace, passing or shooting to go with it and looks to have poor decision making.

Idxomer

He was very good in the first half but he seems to lose it physically after that which isn't the first time to have happened.

I still think it would've been better if we developed Amad and Pellistri instead of spending all that money on him and Sancho.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I actually liked him for the first time in second half because he actually looked determined and tried to take people on, even though he generally failed at it. But he faded away after that and did nothing, but it's quite clear, for now at least, that he is not that type of player.

Prodigy24

I couldn't believe the money quoted for him during the summer as he didn't look like anything special at Ajax. And it's becoming obvious here too.

He still needs time though, and if ETH sees something in him then he should have a chance. But he's been very underwhelming so far and needs to improve massively.

Status
Not open for further replies.