5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Olecurls99

Loved his one two with Bruno when he had Hennessy save his shot from close.
Yeah I think those one touch moves through the middle could be a very important addition to his armoury. His technique is sublime. There's definitely some serious potential there.

Maybe he'll be more of a Freddie Ljungberg than an Arjen Robben. No harm in that although I reckon we'll soon see him fake that cut in shot and do the full back down the outside for a few goals/assists. All that coupled with his technique and work rate will make him very worthwhile.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
People complaining about him killing counter attacks, which he does need to improve on.

But from a big picture POV it's important to remember that the goal is for us to move away from our reliance on counter attacking football to more of a possession-based game where the emphasis will be on our attackers to be better at keeping the ball and linking up with each other rather than being blistering direct counter attack threats. The former is the style of play Antony was ultimately bought to fit.

As is we're not there yet, so aside from all the usual adjustments that come with moving to a new team he's having to adapt to no longer playing for a side who control possession more than anyone else in the league to a team who still rely far more on counter attacks for goal threat.

If someone like Bernardo Silva switched from City to playing RW for United, he'd need to adjust to the very different style of team too. And in this case we're asking Antony to adjust to a similar shift in team style while also making a step up to a more difficult league. He needs time, as does the team generally.

RuudTom83

Nice performance last night…moving off the lines and going centrally sometimes made his reliance on the left foot less obvious.

Could be a short term solution while he gets more use to the league.

TheReligion

Abusive
I've seriously had enough of his bullshit. He can't finish to save his life. What the feck is wrong with him?! Absolutely infuriating. Even against Forrest he manages to waste ton of chances that any self-respecting forward would have turned into a 100% goal! What can we possibly expect from him in big games? He is quite possibly worse than Sancho was when Sancho was sent to his pilgrimage, or whatever it is that Sancho has been doing. Maybe Antony should have joined Sancho. Useless, absolutely useless
Very weird post

zaafi

I've seriously had enough of his bullshit. He can't finish to save his life. What the feck is wrong with him?! Absolutely infuriating. Even against Forrest he manages to waste ton of chances that any self-respecting forward would have turned into a 100% goal! What can we possibly expect from him in big games? He is quite possibly worse than Sancho was when Sancho was sent to his pilgrimage, or whatever it is that Sancho has been doing. Maybe Antony should have joined Sancho. Useless, absolutely useless
Is it possible to silence posters for a week? Because this post, after a pretty good performance by Antony, is about as weird as it gets. You're obsessed with him and dying to say "told you so". Grow up, you're acting like a child.

Lee565

He isn't helped by having dross like awb as the full back behind him, sancho had to deal with the same issue of struggling to single handedly doing all the attacking output on the right wing.

Considering Antony does prefer coming inside, he really does need an adventurous fullback to overlap to allow him to gain more success of coming inside on his left foot

saivet

I think yesterday and Arsenal were promising performances from him. Nothing to write home about but I think he's starting to show a bit more which is positive.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Is it possible to silence posters for a week? Because this post, after a pretty good performance by Antony, is about as weird as it gets. You're obsessed with him and dying to say "told you so". Grow up, you're acting like a child.
Silence posters for having opinions that differ from Zaafi's one!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

zaafi

Silence posters for having opinions that differ from Zaafi's one!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Overexaggerating, of course. You're entitled to your opinion but your meaningless hate for him, especially after a good performance is questionable to say the least. Do you even have something positive to say about players at least once?

NewGlory

Overexaggerating, of course. You're entitled to your opinion but your meaningless hate for him, especially after a good performance is questionable to say the least. Do you even have something positive to say about players at least once?
Yes, Rashford is currently one of the best wingers in the world. I wouldn't swap him even for Mbappe, even though many may disagree. Casemiro is the best DMF in the world. Licha was man of the match and he is absolutely amazing. I actually think Eriksen also had a decent game. WW's goal was very nice. Lindelof played fantastically well! Malacia too. Actually everybody except Pellistri. And we expect more from Antony.

Last edited:

Borys

Statistics Wizard
People complaining about him killing counter attacks, which he does need to improve on.

But from a big picture POV it's important to remember that the goal is for us to move away from our reliance on counter attacking football to more of a possession-based game where the emphasis will be on our attackers to be better at keeping the ball and linking up with each other rather than being blistering direct counter attack threats. The former is the style of play Antony was ultimately bought to fit.

As is we're not there yet, so aside from all the usual adjustments that come with moving to a new team he's having to adapt to no longer playing for a side who control possession more than anyone else in the league to a team who still rely far more on counter attacks for goal threat.

If someone like Bernardo Silva switched from City to playing RW for United, he'd need to adjust to the very different style of team too. And in this case we're asking Antony to adjust to a similar shift in team style while also making a step up to a more difficult league. He needs time, as does the team generally.
I agree with the bolded part, it's also why I thought ETH will love Sancho, but that's a different topic.

Anyway, I think the more we move to possession based football the more we will get from Antony. That said, he is not a big threat on counter attacks, reminds me of Mata on the RW. This is just what he is I guess, different strengths.

Antony did everything right yesterday, keeper did a good job to his shot out but on another day he ends up with a goal. Can't moan about his performance.

Last edited:

Denis79

Yesterday his performance was solid so I don't understand why some are so negative about his game? Is he compared to Rashford who is in the best form of his life?

kirk buttercup

Yesterday his performance was solid so I don't understand why some are so negative about his game? Is he compared to Rashford who is in the best form of his life?
Compared to Pellistri he looked about level IMO.
I suppose people would like to see something very special which for the price you would expect , I think that is a big problem his price tag doesn't match his out put at the moment. It's surprising for alot on here how one footed he is , but he does have a huge skill range so I would like to see him use it to be more threatening, even when he beat a player last night he stopped and pushed it backwards. Just a bit flat at the moment but ETH will get the best out of him he isn't that long in the Premier league so time and coaching will help him .

wangyu

I think the main question people have to ask is “ did he look like a 90 million euro player”? When there is doubt it wasn’t good enough.

When you buy an expensive car you don’t want it to perform decent you want it to perform top class.

PS I have not seen yesterday’s game but I saw his highlights and they looked nice but they didn’t scream world class either. It did look like progress though so fingers crossed.

Raven

He looked a bit like a young Nani to me yesterday. If he can develop his weak foot and start being more direct, he'll go far.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Compared to Pellistri he looked about level IMO.
I suppose people would like to see something very special which for the price you would expect , I think that is a big problem his price tag doesn't match his out put at the moment. It's surprising for alot on here how one footed he is , but he does have a huge skill range so I would like to see him use it to be more threatening, even when he beat a player last night he stopped and pushed it backwards. Just a bit flat at the moment but ETH will get the best out of him he isn't that long in the Premier league so time and coaching will help him .
You think he was level to Pellestri yesterday? You remember that Pellestri almost gave them 2 goals right? Antony - 91% pass accuracy, 3 key passes, 2 shots on target.

redcucumber

I think the main question people have to ask is “ did he look like a 90 million euro player”? When there is doubt it wasn’t good enough.

When you buy an expensive car you don’t want it to perform decent you want it to perform top class.

PS I have not seen yesterday’s game but I saw his highlights and they looked nice but they didn’t scream world class either. It did look like progress though so fingers crossed.
Why on earth would that be the main question? The main question(s) is is he a net positive or negative, and is the potential there? Both are far more important than a transfer fee.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yes, Rashford is currently one of the best wingers in the world. I wouldn't swap him even for Mbappe, even though many may disagree. Casemiro is the best DMF in the world. Licha was man of the match and he is absolutely amazing. I actually think Eriksen also had a decent game. WW's goal was very nice. Lindelof played fantastically well! Malacia too. Actually everybody except Pellistri. And we expect more from Antony.
Did you praise any of those players last night?

crossy1686

career ending
These kind of posters go out and buy the shirt with the players name on the back next season when he hits good form.

romufc

Why does it matter if he looked like a 90m player? What does a 90m euro player look like?

I dont know why people get onto him for his fee, he didn't decide it, so why put that pressure on him to have WC games every time?

crossy1686

career ending
Antony offers something different to the rest of our wingers but he has to improve.

All our wingers want the ball in the space behind, Rashford, Garnacho, Elanga, even Sancho to a degree. Antony is the only one who wants it to feet so he can cut inside, the problem is he’s too predictable and easy to dispossess. Look at Saka last week, he did the most damage when he got the ball to feet and cut in but he mixed it up with going down the line also. Antony has to reach that level before he becomes a quality player, and I’ve seen enough to know he can kick on.

saivet

Why does it matter if he looked like a 90m player? What does a 90m euro player look like?

I dont know why people get onto him for his fee, he didn't decide it, so why put that pressure on him to have WC games every time?
In a world with unlimited funds, the fee doesn't matter. If a 90m signing is okay to good and is a marginal net positive by not being shit it becomes a problem in financing other areas of the squad. I'm not saying this is or will be the case for Antony but it makes sense to judge players by their transfer fees. Malacia and Eriksen have generally be considered good signings but if Malacia cost £60m and Eriksen cost £45m we'd be looking at the transfers differently.

With a high fee comes high expectation, we've seen it in the past with other players and we'll see it again. I think it's only when the team is winning that the transfer fee won't be focussed on so heavily.

romufc

In a world with unlimited funds, the fee doesn't matter. If a 90m signing is okay to good and is a marginal net positive by not being shit it becomes a problem in financing other areas of the squad. I'm not saying this is or will be the case for Antony but it makes sense to judge players by their transfer fees. Malacia and Eriksen have generally be considered good signings but if Malacia cost £60m and Eriksen cost £45m we'd be looking at the transfers differently.

With a high fee comes high expectation, we've seen it in the past with other players and we'll see it again. I think it's only when the team is winning that the transfer fee won't be focussed on so heavily.
I am not saying the fee is irrelevant. Saying a player doesnt look like a 90m player on a game to game basis is a bit OTT.

This reminds me of Souness, when Pogba got 4 assists and he said he is 90m player, that is expected of him every game.

Football values dont work in that way, its supply and demand based. What does a 90m player look like then?

Telsim

He wasn't absolutely terrible, which I suppose is an improvement over his regular peformances. Still not nearly good enough. How can a professional at this level be completely unable to use his weaker foot? I just don't get it. We need Dalot back. Maybe something will change then. Maybe not.

redcucumber

He wasn't absolutely terrible, which I suppose is an improvement over his regular peformances. Still not nearly good enough. How can a professional at this level be completely unable to use his weaker foot? I just don't get it. We need Dalot back. Maybe something will change then. Maybe not.
:lol: let me guess, you've got a decent amount of posts throughout this thread criticising him? He played well last night. Plenty to be positive about.

NewGlory

Didnt he score against Arsenal earlier in the season, or was that not a big game?
You mean the first game with Arsenal that we won on September 4, five months ago? He was amazing in that game and when he had just joined. Which is how we know he can be great and why greatness is demanded now that he's been much more poor. Are you saying his performance past couple months is the standard we expect from a United winger, and from Antony specifically? He can't be great one month and poor five following months. That's not United level. We need more, we need it consistently, he can do more, hence the criticism.

redcucumber

You mean the first game with Arsenal that we won on September 4, five months ago? He was amazing in that game and when he had just joined. Which is how we know he can be great and why greatness is demanded now that he's been much more poor. Are you saying his performance past couple months is the standard we expect from a United winger, and from Antony specifically? We need more, he can do more, hence the criticism.
Maybe have a bit more patience before you start spewing your bile, then? "I'm so fecking annoyed at Antony! He's useless! What the hell is wrong with him?!" you sound unhinged. This is a Man Utd player that joined a few months ago and is finding his feet. Give him a fecking chance.

romufc

You mean the first game with Arsenal that we won on September 4, five months ago? He was amazing in that game and when he had just joined. Which is how we know he can be great and why greatness is demanded now that he's been much more poor. Are you saying his performance past couple months is the standard we expect from a United winger, and from Antony specifically? We need more, he can do more, hence the criticism.
Yes, against Arsenal 5 months ago. I have not said anything about his performances in the last few months actually.

I am actually just responding to this statement made by you.

Any self-respecting forward would have turned into a 100% goal! What can we possibly expect from him in big games?

Are you saying if a forward misses 1% of chance, he does not have self respect?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You mean the first game with Arsenal that we won on September 4, five months ago? He was amazing in that game and when he had just joined. Which is how we know he can be great and why greatness is demanded now that he's been much more poor. Are you saying his performance past couple months is the standard we expect from a United winger, and from Antony specifically? He can't be great one month and poor five following months. That's not United level. We need more, we need it consistently, he can do more, hence the criticism.
He was no better in that game than he was last night. The only difference was he took his one big chance in that game and had it saved last night.

Your comments show you’re judging purely on outcomes, not the actual overall quality of the performance.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

No it isn't.

Because as was discussed so widely when we signed him, it's already understood that we overpaid for him. There's no mystery there, so no reason for that question to be asked. The answer isn't going to change.

The question is how well is he actually performing and how well will he perform in the future?

NewGlory

I am not saying the fee is irrelevant. Saying a player doesnt look like a 90m player on a game to game basis is a bit OTT.

This reminds me of Souness, when Pogba got 4 assists and he said he is 90m player, that is expected of him every game.

Football values dont work in that way, its supply and demand based. What does a 90m player look like then?
I agree with you that it isn't Antony's fault we paid so much money for him. The point is - he needs to play at the level we need, even if we paid 20 mil for him. It's not about the fee.

Yes, against Arsenal 5 months ago. I have not said anything about his performances in the last few months actually.

I am actually just responding to this statement made by you.

Any self-respecting forward would have turned into a 100% goal! What can we possibly expect from him in big games?

Are you saying if a forward misses 1% of chance, he does not have self respect?
Well, i was referring to his performance in the last couple months, so maybe we should talk about the same thing. For a while now, and yesterday specifically he's been below the level we need from him. Yesterday his high moment was when he got a bounce from their goalkeeper, which then WW finished, and Antony didn't even congratulate WW. Which by the way was a very ugly look, but regardless if he is poor, and we know he can be much better, we need him to be much better (how long can we rely on Rashford scoring in every game?), when can we dare to criticize Antony? After 4 months? After a year? It's fine if you want to give him more time, but it's funny that I am being crucified here by some for pointing out the obvious. He was not good yesterday, he wasn't even good enough. I am sorry but it's a fact and it didn't start yesterday, it's been a problem for several months now.

romufc

Well, i was referring to his performance in the last couple months, so maybe we should talk about the same thing. For a while now, and yesterday specifically he's been below the level we need from him. Yesterday his high moment was when he got a bounce from their goalkeeper, which then WW finished, and Antony didn't even congratulate WW. Which by the way was a very ugly look, but regardless if he is poor, and we know he can be much better, we need him to be much better (how long can we rely on Rashford scoring in every game?), when can we dare to criticize Antony? After 4 months? After a year? It's fine if you want to give him more time, but it's funny that I am being crucified here by some for pointing out the obvious. He was not good yesterday, he wasn't even good enough. I am sorry but it's a fact and it didn't start yesterday, it's been a problem for several months now.
Oh sorry I didn't realise we can only talk about players performances for 4 months to judge whether they look like a 90m player.

Yes everyone, every 22 year should be judged solely on their last 4 performances.

Anyway, I do not want to discuss things with a poster who thinks if a player doesn't score 100% of his chances, he has no self respect.

NewGlory

Oh sorry I didn't realise we can only talk about players performances for 4 months to judge whether they look like a 90m player.

Yes everyone, every 22 year should be judged solely on their last 4 performances.

Anyway, I do not want to discuss things with a poster who thinks if a player doesn't score 100% of his chances, he has no self respect.
You are putting words in my mouth. I never said THAT. But if you think we are winning any important trophies (which is EPL or UCL for United) with Antony in his current form on our right wing, then I envy your optimism.

Status
Not open for further replies.