Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Half a season in a new league is a lot less than 1 season to adjust... it's half as much time :)
I'd argue Antony adjusted pretty well to this league already.
Again we need to look at his weaknesses and think if playing in another 20 games this season will make him faster, improve his right foot or passing?
His decision making, awareness etc is pretty good. It's not a problem.

Eli Zee

Yes.

Think it is difficult for wingers at Utd with the history of the club, being compared to some of the best to ever do it. There are times he gets the ball in positions where I know if it was Giggs, young Ronnie, Kanchelskis, even guys like Nani and Sharpe that they would be attacking the nearest defender, getting the fans off their seats, causing havoc. Antony is not that type of player, but there are elements he is exceptional at, can trust him with the ball at all times, immensely difficult to dispossess, rarely gives the ball away in bad areas and tactically very reliable.

Might not be the exciting winger we have been conditioned to expect but he brings a lot of positive stuff to the team that helps the overall performance.
I think this stuff is greatly exaggerated. I find it hard to believe that new players come here and say "I have to live up to how ronaldo or giggs played decades ago" and get affected by the pressure.

they are likely for more concerned/feeling pressure from their coach, other squad members/new signings who can take their spot, playing badly (a run of bad form) and the media... I think living up to previous greats from years ago is the last thing on their mind when it comes to pressure (unless you literally just replaced one of them in the squad).

Eli Zee

Again we need to look at his weaknesses and think if playing in another 20 games this season will make him faster, improve his right foot or passing?
I think he's good. That being said, maybe those weaknesses weren't as obvious in a weaker league. Now that he's here, maybe he has improve things like his weak foot.

I think he has a lot of potential and can be a great player for us for many years, especially if he works on some of his weaknesses(as all players should).

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
People only watch football to hate on players. Very odd stance tbh.

Jeffthered

I think he's good. That being said, maybe those weaknesses weren't as obvious in a weaker league. Now that he's here, maybe he has improve things like his weak foot.

I think he has a lot of potential and can be a great player for us for many years, especially if he works on some of his weaknesses(as all players should).
I think he's average.

Please share why you think he is a good footballer.

Think Saka, Leo, Rodrygo, Vini Jr. All same age. These I consider good, very good players.

Eli Zee

I think he's average.

Think Saka, Leo, Rodrygo, Vini Jr. All same age. These I consider good, very good players.
idk.. I don't feel like getting into the logistics of it, I just think he's a solid/good player based on watching him play. I think he has a lot of potential to become better too, considering his age. We may have overpaid, but that's what happens nowadays sometimes.

there's definitely better players out there, but those may be considered great, whereas I consider him good:)

Bondi77

I would say his fellow attackers would beg to differ.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I thought this was one of his best performances so far.

He's looking quicker and stronger, a few times in the first and 2nd half he burned past Mitchell who isn't an easy LB to get passed.

We just need him to get confident on his right foot and sort his shooting/crossing out. Once it all clicks for him he's going to be some player IMO.

Prodigal7

I thought this was one of his best performances so far.

He's looking quicker and stronger, a few times in the first and 2nd half he burned past Mitchell who isn't an easy LB to get passed.

We just need him to get confident on his right foot and sort his shooting/crossing out. Once it all clicks for him he's going to be some player IMO.
I agree with this. Still, what Antony brings to a team is more subtle and less eye catching than more direct players like Rashford but just as important. Composure, work ethic, intelligence. He knows how to play for the team. Most importantly Erik seems happy with him, which should be good enough for everyone at this point in time IMO, plus he can still improve.

Bobski

I think this stuff is greatly exaggerated. I find it hard to believe that new players come here and say "I have to live up to how ronaldo or giggs played decades ago" and get affected by the pressure.

they are likely for more concerned/feeling pressure from their coach, other squad members/new signings who can take their spot, playing badly (a run of bad form) and the media... I think living up to previous greats from years ago is the last thing on their mind when it comes to pressure (unless you literally just replaced one of them in the squad).
I don't think it is the players mindset but the fans? Absolutely. Very much doubt Ten Hag is unhappy with his performances to anywhere near what some of the fans are. Utd were a tremendously late adopter of the inverted winger role as well, so this style of play is still pretty foreign to most Utd fans.

Matt851

It was interesting seeing tetes impact for Leicester yesterday. Its only one game but he immediately made more of an impact than Anthony has managed so far

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I don't think it is the players mindset but the fans? Absolutely. Very much doubt Ten Hag is unhappy with his performances to anywhere near what some of the fans are. Utd were a tremendously late adopter of the inverted winger role as well, so this style of play is still pretty foreign to most Utd fans.
ETH isn't unhappy with him, if he was he wouldn't be playing every game

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
It was interesting seeing tetes impact for Leicester yesterday. Its only one game but he immediately made more of an impact than Anthony has managed so far
As I recall it, Antony scored in his first game for us, in my book that's a biggish impact

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Oh yeah definitely. All Antony did on his debut was score against one of our biggest rivals and the current league leaders.

Matt851

Oh yeah definitely. All Antony did on his debut was score against one of our biggest rivals and the current league leaders.
I was referring to all tetes all round performance not just the fact he scored. Anthony's goal return in the first few games was good but wasn't accompanied by equally good performances and now his goals have dried up his but all round performances are still average

podurban2

It baffles me that our own fans can’t spell our players’ names correctly.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I think the jedi mind trick of the season due to the world cup has created the illusion that he has been here longer than half a season, playing only a handful of games? Ive seen enough to know there is a player that given time, will have a bright future under this manager.
That he pulled a sickie in the build up to.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What? We had Ronaldo scoring shit loads of goals from LW and then had Nani who was equally good at both wings.

Under Van Gaal we had Martial who was inverted winger or wing forward. Under Jose, Rashford and Martial were inverted wingers. Under Ole Rashford and Greenwood were inverted wingers.

We always had inverted wingers since Ronaldo's goal scoring season.

Also ManUtd fans don't live in caves or OT, they have access to all the football games just like everyone else. I'm sure they all watched Messi, Ronaldinho, Neymar, Robben, Ribery, Hazard and other great wide players.

Edit: sorry for bit of a rant, i know it wasn't the main point that you made in your post.

Strelok

I think he's average.

No he's not average. He's a real baller, has a very good football brain and works very hard. But imo he still lacks a bit of explosiveness and power to make it really ticks in the PL. We'll see if he can add that to his game.

He'sRaldo

He had average to poor stats in the Eredivise so no surprise he’s struggling in the PL.

We can’t rely on just one attacker to produce all the output. Problem is, it’s doubtful as to whether he even has it in him to contribute statistically.

Scottynaldinho

I'm not trying to judge him based on this as I see what he can offer, but it's weird that even when he has only grass in front of him, he dribbles wrapping his left foot around the ball which slows him down.

He really doesn't trust his pace, does he? He's not rapid but quick enough for most of the defenders.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I'm not trying to judge him based on this as I see what he can offer, but it's weird that even when he has only grass in front of him, he dribbles wrapping his left foot around the ball which slows him down.

He really doesn't trust his pace, does he? He's not rapid but quick enough for most of the defenders.
He can run fast but not fast enough to get in front of his marker and cut inside (like pacy one-footed wingers do).
He has enough pace to make himself some space for a pass from wide BUT to make it happen he either has to use his weaker foot or outside of his left foot (what is difficult to do at speed obviously). So he ends up stopping to swith to left foot.
Him stopping after getting away from defender is not a result of bad decision making, it's a result of his limitations.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
No player is perfect, atm he's what we got and I'll say so far he's been good but there's room for improvement, don't forget he's still only 22, so there's still time for him to get used to the league and his teammate in other for him to contribute in a much better way.

Davie Moyes

I entirely agree It's very much the fans. They are only used to the old fashioned Utd style swashbuckling winger running down the wing and getting crosses in and can't seem to understand why Antony can't do that and hence think he's a £40m player at best.

An Ajax fan recently reposted the video of his performance against Dortmund in last season's CL and what struck me the most was how he's actually playing very much like he is for Utd. The only difference was that he had an assist or two I think.

Ten Hag is clearly happy with him or would not play him. Some of the stuff Antony is getting criticised for by fans could be him actually following manager instructions.

Marcelinho87

Regardless of his output in terms of A/G he is quite obviously a vital cog in the way EtH wants to play. He tracks back, he keeps posession well etc all of which are overlooked.

I like him and he fits the team well. The problem he faces is that when he goes down the wing he quickly becomes isolated because we have nobody on the inside for him to link up with. Unlike Rashford currently (lets not forget how shit he can be), he is not confident enough to go inside himself and drive towards the goal. He has no option but to stop and turn back in search of support.

Once we sort out the striker position he will improve his output.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I entirely agree It's very much the fans. They are only used to the old fashioned Utd style swashbuckling winger running down the wing and getting crosses in and can't seem to understand why Antony can't do that and hence think he's a £40m player at best.

An Ajax fan recently reposted the video of his performance against Dortmund in last season's CL and what struck me the most was how he's actually playing very much like he is for Utd. The only difference was that he had an assist or two I think.

Ten Hag is clearly happy with him or would not play him. Some of the stuff Antony is getting criticised for by fans could be him actually following manager instructions.
Funny you say that considering the assists he got against Dortmund game you refer to were from crosses. And to be honest if he got "one or two assists" it would make a great difference. He's one of the least likely players to produce an assist for us, between McTominay and van de Beek in fact.
I get that "he is following manager's instructions" etc but this is shocking stat for a winger/wide playmaker or however we call him.

I watched this video of Antony vs Dortmund and if you take away the assists (which again make a world of difference) it was not a good game. That's also pretty much how he plays for us.

A lot of people say that ETH wouldn't play Antony if he wasn't happy with him, well he also likes Bruno there what makes little sense to me, and Pellistri after having a good cameo was out of the squad again so I don't know what ETH is looking for on that right wing I give you that.

evil_geko

Is it hard to believe that ETH is the one that actually wants him to play safe and not as direct and risky? Maybe he likes having one direct side and other for hold up safe play, more of a playmaker winger.

That being said, it is still early to judge him, give one full season.

Big Ray

First time seeing him in the flesh on Saturday and was so impressed. Rapid pace, great feet, work rate, great first touch and rarely gives it way. Always available and was a great outlet on Saturday and got us up the pitch on number of occasions. I have no doubt whatsoever that Antony will develop into a more productive player in terms of assists and goals. He has everything and I feel it’s just an experience / development / confidence thing that will come.

Reactions: roonster09

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Is it hard to believe that ETH is the one that actually wants him to play safe and not as direct and risky? Maybe he likes having one direct side and other for hold up safe play, more of a playmaker winger.

That being said, it is still early to judge him, give one full season.
As long as the team is looking threatening and controlling games (like we did against CP), I have no problem with that. That's also why I praised him after the game.

We'll see what he can offer when we need him to be more of a threat though.

poleglass red

that was perhaps his best game for us. what he does is, he provides an outlet and recycles possession. In a team with Rasford and Bruno this is a nice counter balance to them, as more often than not, they lose possession. The problem with him, is he cost 80 million. People expect more for that kind of outlay. We have to be careful with our next striker purchase as, he will get very little service from either of our wingers, whipping in crosses is nether Antony or Rashford's game.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Unless ManUtd fans stopped watching games since 2002-03, no that's not what we are used to from ManUtd wingers.

After Beckham (who isn't even run down the wing and cross), we had Valencia who did that. The wingers we had were skillful, beating players, cut inside, cut back, create chances with interplay.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
that was perhaps his best game for us. what he does is, he provides an outlet and recycles possession. In a team with Rasford and Bruno this is a nice counter balance to them, as more often than not, they lose possession. The problem with him, is he cost 80 million. People expect more for that kind of outlay. We have to be careful with our next striker purchase as, he will get very little service from either of our wingers, whipping in crosses is nether Antony or Rashford's game.
Alternatively, we could use Shaw and Dalot to pump in the crosses instead. Get Rashy and Antony to stretch their fullbacks and create space and time for them to provide the centres

Status
Not open for further replies.