5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

C'est Moi Cantona

I think ETH will know his shortcomings and work on them. There's a decent player in there
Yes, and still ETH wanted him badly in the summer, he knew exactly what he as getting, and we're winning most of our game that he plays in, so much as I'm not really impressed by what I'm seeing, there must be something else going on with him that made ETH want him so much and why he keeps on playing him.

UpWithRivers

Terrible post considering how over the last few years we've had so many players who stroll through games. One of the reasons for our major improvement is our ball retention and recovering abilities and Antony plays a massive part in that. You'd think our fans would realise this. Winning the ball back, pressing your opposition and keeping up with your defensive duties are just as important as creating chances/attacking.
Whilst everyone appreciates a hard working player that can keep the ball we should also all realize that's just a basic requirement of a Man Utd player. We have spent years accepting yeah they work hard and do x,y,z well but by now we should have realized its just not enough. Thats why the likes of McFred and Maguire are squad players now. Can they do a job? Sure. But we want more from our first team players.

Antony is class at a few things. I don't think he is terrible. He's not Nicholas Pepe. Heck we are playing well and he is a massive part of that. But he is severely lacking at the standard we should expect. Thats just facts unless you want your RW to just work hard and have 0 contributions to our attack other than progress the ball and keep possession. Is that what we want? Or do we want more? Maybe its ok to have that type of player in your team. I mean we cant have all players being world class. But don't give me he's brilliant because he worked hard spiel. He's just not. Wout works hard and keeps possession but he's not winning player of the season. Trust me

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I think theres a player in there I'm happy with him honestly, he will get there. Give him a season or two.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
No key passes. No chances created. 1 tame shot.

What was so good about him?
He's pretty excellent defensively for a winger. I think this is something EtH really likes about him.

Bondi77

Good workrate and good in possession and those are his main attributes from what I have seen of him but as an attacking outlet he does not make the first team in my opinion as he creates next to nothing.
It would not surprise me to see him end up playing as a midfielder or a left back if he learns how to tackle.

Real Name

Its weird. He was dangerous today, some lovely little passes, kept possession well (crossing stats skew this against attackers) and contributed well defensively. Was involved in most of our more intricate play. Was more direct at times too which is what i still want more of
Agreed. I think it's best to avoid this thread like a plague.

Jev

His feint early in the game was hilarious. It seems like he himself realized the pointlessness of it when the ball passed the opponent and he didn't even bother to run after it.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He's pretty excellent defensively for a winger. I think this is something EtH really likes about him.
Works very hard I will give him that. Although I have noticed a massive up turn in effort for lots of players under the new manager.

He's meant to be creating chances. He doesn't.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I'd swap him for Olise. There I said it.
Olise was utter wank today. Antony did ok. It's not his fault Casemiro was a bit daft and the refs are cancerous polyps on the anus of British football.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Ronaldo comparison? :houllier:
I have to admit I'm not quite sure what ETH has seen in him to make him worth the fee paid. He seems entirely one footed and too easy to defend against. Touch is also poor. Think ETH has his work cut out for him here.

TheReligion

Abusive
Ronaldo comparison? :houllier:
I have to admit I'm not quite sure what ETH has seen in him to make him worth the fee paid. He seems entirely one footed and too easy to defend against. Touch is also poor. Think ETH has his work cut out for him here.
Time will tell. He’s only young and been in the PL for a few months. A bit stop start with injury then the World Cup.

Not going to write him off yet and trust Ten Hag to work with him.

Ekeke

He's about as frustrating as Ronaldo was when he first broke into the team...
Ronaldo was taking players on constantly and looking a threat. He would go down a bit easily thats all

On the other side of things, Antony has shown he can smash a great goal which Ronaldo wasnt doing at that point and didnt start doing for a while. But he's also had matches where he has plenty of attempts and cant keep the ball on target, or scuffs them

Garnacho is a bit more in that Ronaldo mould, where he's direct and wanting to take players on often and sometimes doesnt have as much success as other games

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Look, he's frustrating, but he's young and adapting to a new league.

These are the sort of signings we need to be making, a raw talent with a high celling, that don't cost a fortune.

Wait.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Look, he's frustrating, but he's young and adapting to a new league.

These are the sort of signings we need to be making, a raw talent with a high celling, that don't cost a fortune.

Wait.
The entire world and their dog knows he wasnt an 80m player and we got him for a stupid fee because of a feck up by our board.

I think it's a fallacy to judge him as though he should live up to an 80m player in season one. For so many reasons.

Reynoldo

Whilst everyone appreciates a hard working player that can keep the ball we should also all realize that's just a basic requirement of a Man Utd player. We have spent years accepting yeah they work hard and do x,y,z well but by now we should have realized its just not enough. Thats why the likes of McFred and Maguire are squad players now. Can they do a job? Sure. But we want more from our first team players.

Antony is class at a few things. I don't think he is terrible. He's not Nicholas Pepe. Heck we are playing well and he is a massive part of that. But he is severely lacking at the standard we should expect. Thats just facts unless you want your RW to just work hard and have 0 contributions to our attack other than progress the ball and keep possession. Is that what we want? Or do we want more? Maybe its ok to have that type of player in your team. I mean we cant have all players being world class. But don't give me he's brilliant because he worked hard spiel. He's just not. Wout works hard and keeps possession but he's not winning player of the season. Trust me
Great post. And it’s not scapegoating (as others have said) to point out his flaws while admitting his strengths. He does actually help the team defensively so much by being a consistent outlet and no doubt has contributed to our excellent defensive record of late and yes he has been pivotal in some goals but I agree here overall, for all his strengths his net output is just not enough for a wide attacker. It does seem he’s wasting 3+ attacks per game and it’s just very frustrating to see him cut back when (crucially) it seems he has all the skills needed that make the difference so I’m not writing him off, more of he’s just not doing it right yet but hopefully it will come

BlueHaze

The entire world and their dog knows he wasnt an 80m player and we got him for a stupid fee because of a feck up by our board.

I think it's a fallacy to judge him as though he should live up to an 80m player in season one. For so many reasons.
For all the shithousery coming from this ownership/board in this instance we can't blame them. ETH made it clear he wanted Antony and they got him what he wanted.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
For all the shithousery coming from this ownership/board in this instance we can't blame them. ETH made it clear he wanted Antony and they got him what he wanted.
Yes we can, because he was available at half the price at the early parts of the window and we took our time trying to focus on De Jong instead.

Ajax then increased their fee because it was getting too late in the window. This is all well reported by tier one Dutch journalists, feel free to look it up.

BlueHaze

Yes we can, because he was available at half the price at the early parts of the window and we took our time trying to focus on De Jong instead.

Ajax then increased their fee because it was getting too late in the window. This is all well reported by tier one Dutch journalists, feel free to look it up.
He was available for 40m earlier in the summer? You know something the rest of us don't? I havn't seen that reported anywhere. Their price set on him from the start was set already sky high which was why the club was hesitant in the first place.

Had nothing to do with "chasing de jong" They got Casemiro either way..

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He was available for 40m earlier in the summer? You know something the rest of us don't? I havn't seen that reported anywhere. Their price set on him from the start was set already sky high which was why the club was hesitant in the first place.

Had nothing to do with "chasing de jong" They got Casemiro either way..
Go dig up the articles.
It had everything to do with De Jong, it was a daft strategy by both Ten Hag and the Board re FDJ.

ole@thewheel

He is the new Man Utd fan scapegoat, that's it. We always need to have one for some reason.

He is simply being harshly judged on, similarly to so many flair players we had before, including Ronaldo.

For now, I can see that, at a minimum, our team is better(more balanced is the more precise word) when Antony plays.

He seems to be tactically sufficient, has a good workrate and you can see glimpses of his technicality and physicality which can only be more evident when he grows on the team and league. He also has grit and arrogance which are usually good signs to succeed at our club.

Just give him time, and reserve your judgement to when the kid has a proper stretch of games, and is fully settled in the club, and please dont turn this into another Sancho situation.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
He is the new Man Utd fan scapegoat, that's it. We always need to have one for some reason.

He is simply being harshly judged on, similarly to so many flair players we had before, including Ronaldo.

For now, I can see that, at a minimum, our team is better(more balanced is the more precise word) when Antony plays.

He seems to be tactically sufficient, has a good workrate and you can see glimpses of his technicality and physicality which can only be more evident when he grows on the team and league. He also has grit and arrogance which are usually good signs to succeed at our club.

Just give him time, and reserve your judgement to when the kid has a proper stretch of games, and is fully settled in the club, and please dont turn this into another Sancho situation.
Antony isn't a fair player. Him having a couple of tricks in his bag doesn't make him a flair player. What are his main strengths? Good ball retention under pressure, conservative, hard working, tactically reliable. That's actually the opposit of a flair player and a rainbow flick, a heel pass or a little spin every now and then doesn't change that.

Dion

He's got his faults (he's poor on transitions and reliant on his fullback getting up to support him more than most wingers) but he's very useful in patient buildup and works hard defensively pressing and tracking back. Helps the team shape a lot by providing width.

Price aside I think he's done okay.

Nicolarra90

I just don't understand the obsession of modern fans in trying to understand football as an individual sport.

Yes he was expensive. Yes he's not stat padding.

We're winning with him in the team. That's all I care about.

Status
Not open for further replies.