5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Telsim

0.07 xG. 0 crosses attempted. 0 key passes. 1 long ball, unsuccessful. 1 shot on target, low quality. Oh, but he kept possession, so I guess it's fine. Who cares if he provides absolutely no threat to the enemy goal? He won the possession game. I guess not losing the ball and doing nothing else is enough to have a fine game these days.

Last edited:

MonkeysMagic

I think he is defensively better than as an attacking threat. Sancho can't come soon enough, and a period on a bench to fully appreciate what is expected of a Utd winger, will do him good.

Frank White

I think it means he didn't feck up, ie lose the ball. If someone actually tries stuff ie Rashford but loses the ball then its a bad performance.
Makes sense. Who would want a winger to actually attempt to beat their man when you can just cut back and pass backwards!

spiriticon

We didn't buy him to 'keep possession' on the wing. If we wanted that we should have just kept Mata or Sancho.

Welbeckham

Should’ve stayed down, but can’t control his wannabe gangster attitude. Don’t like him.

Frank White

Its weird. He was dangerous today, some lovely little passes, kept possession well (crossing stats skew this against attackers) and contributed well defensively. Was involved in most of our more intricate play. Was more direct at times too which is what i still want more of
He created nothing so what was he dangerous at?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not sure how he was 'fine' or 'very good'. He puts a shift in, but what else did he do?

Cloud7

He somewhat reminds me of our own version of Dirk Kuyt right now. Really hardworking player, helps the team out immensely in the defensive bits of the game and in maintaining shape. Not quite put it together going forward just yet.

Lecland07

No it's not. What you said and what I said are entirely different. You are expecting a Mahrez but he is more of a hybrid player aka Bernardo (not ability wise)
I highlighted your exact words. How did you not say it when you said it?

You said that Mahrez is quite good on the ball and that Antony is not capable of that. 'Quite good' is a descriptor of a decent player; if Antony is not capable of that then he isn't capable of being a Manchester United player.

forevrared

Plays like a coward with the ball. He’s more and more infuriating as time goes on.

Obviously Casemiro has done himself no favors but Antony being a hot headed idiot is what kicked off the whole thing, so he shoulders some of the blame there for me (rightly or wrongly). I just don’t like him.

Geistman

Yeah, don't really like jumping on the bandwagon but I've been very underwhelmed by Antony since he joined. There was so many times he could play simple passes with his right and he's refused to do so. He's extremely limiting the types of attacks we can produce on the right side.
Have to say though he is fantastic in possession. He can really hold onto the ball well. Should be useful in tight games but to be fair against Crystal Palace, ETH shouldn't be accepting the type of performance Antony is producing. I don't see how it would do any harm to drop him for a while. He's not producing and it's only fair to give other players a shout.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
0.07 xG. 0 crosses attempted. 0 key passes. 1 long ball, unsuccessful. 1 shot on target, low quality. Oh, but he kept possession, so I guess it's fine. Who cares if he provides absolutely no threat to the enemy goal? He won the possession game. I guess not losing the ball and doing nothing else is enough to have a fine game these days.
He was 'very good' according to some folk.

I honestly wonder what sport they think they are watching at times.

He was really poor again.

BarryWinks

Just curious, what was the caf's opinion of Dirk Kuyt when he played for the dippers?

I seem to recall it coinciding with us having Ronnie, Nani and Valencia as RW equivalent

El Jefe

The posters that think he was good need their eyes checked or should start watching another sport.

The expectations for him are in the gutter so any decent thing he does is seen as impressive to some. The stats you posted tell everything and the eye test also showed that he gave Mitchell no problems whatsoever.

RuudTom83

He does a lot of good things...the ball sticks to him very well in his own half.

Its just the breakaway attacking moments than he struggles.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yong and Lernin' imo.

He needs to be a bit more direct on the wing. Less tricks and more passes and crosses.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
He works hard but he started that whole melee. Needs to control himself better. Stop doing fancy tricks and release the ball quicker. We had a counter in the first half and he started doing tricks.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Very good and was fine apparently

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I'll explain myself why I said he had a good game. He helped a lot with progressing the ball from defense to attack, he was mixing it up, not so predictable etc. He definitely helped to pin Palace back in the first half.

He was not involved directly in creating chances but I thought we were on top and cruising most of the time.

No point in keeping him on the pitch when we're sitting deep, we need good runners and he isn't a good one.

Still don't rate him very high, but this was an improvement imo.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It is strange that he has very good technique but when he runs with the ball you don't know who is in charge there; him or the ball?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Blaming him for the red is one of the most demented things I have read on here.

podurban2

I'll explain myself why I said he had a good game. He helped a lot with progressing the ball from defense to attack, he was mixing it up, not so predictable etc. He definitely helped to pin Palace back in the first half.

He was not involved directly in creating chances but I thought we were on top and cruising most of the time.

No point in keeping him on the pitch when we're sitting deep, we need good runners and he isn't a good one.

Still don't rate him very high, but this was an improvement imo.
Agree with this post.

Malone_Post

He’s a genuinely terrible attacker. Not necessarily a terrible footballer, but purely as an attacker he offers as little goal threat as I’ve ever seen from a United winger. Doesn’t create, doesn’t assist, doesn’t score, can’t dribble, isn’t particularly athletic, kills pretty much every counter attack that lands at his feet. Honestly, anytime we’re on the break and he gets the ball you know the move is over. 1 assist in 22 games is beyond woeful. It’s indefensible.

He works very hard, and he does keep possession. But even that’s a little less impressive when he literally never tries anything even remotely creative or risky. You could stick most PL level wingers outwide & tell them to just keep the ball & not give it away and they’d be able to do it. It only really becomes impressive if he’s able to be creative whilst also not giving the ball away constantly.

It’s just nowhere near good enough. People are lying to themselves if they’re truly impressed with him so far. That or they are lowering their standards to a level far beneath that of what a Manchester United attacker should be.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Look at the whole side - nobody dribbles besides Garnacho. Rashford can with space.

Ten Hag doesn't want dribbles. It's not the Dutch way.

In fact, who are these high flying wingers beating 10 players a game. They don't exist. Adama and Saint Maxime dribble alot. Messi. Vinicious. The Georgian lad.

Antony was overpriced and has been ok so far but we look better when he's starting.

Our problems come from midfield and the striker position. RB at times. Antony is a threat. He needs to be better though.

He's not shit though.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Redcafe has an irrational hatred for him. Our threat down the right was the best part of our first half performance. Blaming him for the red takes the cake though :lol:
This.

He was comfortably our best player when it came to approach play and link up in the final third. Bruno I thought also played well and I'm normally critical of his game.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
He works really hard. But he needs to release the ball quicker and stop doing tricks.

mu4c_20le

He had got up the bank and went up to the palace player
Yep. If he stayed down, the Palace player gets booked as well as any additional aggressors. He got right back up for some reason and joined the fight, which escalated it

Status
Not open for further replies.