Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Someone

Something
Really surprised that ETH sanctioned this signing, and for that kind of money. The changes he needs to make to his game to be useful are fundamental. Time can help players who're showing glimpses of their talent but still flawed due to their inexperience, like Garnacho, or even Amad based on what we're seeing with Sunderland, but Antony is just poor. He can't cross, can't take on players, can't shoot, and even his pace isn't great. He can nick a goal here and there, but overall his contribution on the right side is appalling. I hope he has it in him to change but I wouldn't put money on it.

Litch

Too early to say and still learning his trade. He wasnt bought for the style of football we are playing where if you havent got speed, you are going to struggle. Sancho is no different. When we can control the midfield and move to a pocession based game, he'll look a lot better imo....

Last edited:

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Too early to say and still learning his trade. He wasnt bought for the style of football we are playing where if you havent got speed, you are going to struggle. Sancho is no different. When we can control the midfield and move to a pocession based game, he'll look a lot better imo....
Agreed. Really hope that will happen one day. I can't see it with double pivot with Bruno at 10 (or wing)

Farmershawn

i find him incredibly hard to like. besides his known deficiencies, he often just stops playing when the ball is overturned and gives off bad body language when pass is not made to him

MegadrivePerson

I was listening to a football podcast at the weekend and I heard Antony described as looking and playing like a Fifa 23 Pro clubs player and I think that the description was spot on!

Stacks

Compare a 22 year old Di Maria to a 22 year old Antony, there's not massive differences in their game, Di Maria was very one dimensional, used to blow hot and cold, gave the ball away a lot. Even a couple seasons into his Madrid move they still won't convinced of him and went and got Bale.

Everyone's not a Messi where their the finished article at 21, or even Saka who is a world class winger at 21, some players develop into a World Class winger when they get to 25-26. Now Antony could become this, its about us having patience with him and giving him time to develop his game.
Di Maria finished with damn near 10 goals and 20 assists at 22.
Real Madrid signed Bale because Bale is better and was a potential another Ronaldo. Di Maria got 10 goals and 26 assists in his first Real season. Antony cannot set up any assists. Their games vastly different. Antony is an average/below average premier league winger

rollingstoned1

Atm it does look like we signed a street footballer with some silks who needs to go out on loan to a smaller club to improve his decision making and add more bows to his quiver in general, which when you consider the big money we set aside for him is quite damning and indicative of the fact that we got taken in by the hype train surrounding him.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
Really surprised that ETH sanctioned this signing, and for that kind of money. The changes he needs to make to his game to be useful are fundamental. Time can help players who're showing glimpses of their talent but still flawed due to their inexperience, like Garnacho, or even Amad based on what we're seeing with Sunderland, but Antony is just poor. He can't cross, can't take on players, can't shoot, and even his pace isn't great. He can nick a goal here and there, but overall his contribution on the right side is appalling. I hope he has it in him to change but I wouldn't put money on it.
From what was reported it seems ETH was the one who insisted on getting Antony specifically also having worked with him he surely would have an idea about the player.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
This doesn’t feel surprising for someone that attacks the flank with less gusto than Valencia is his latter, tumescent years.

The annoying thing against Liverpool too was that he twice has opportunities on the left, on his favoured left foot, to put simple crosses behind their defence, yet he hesitated and ballsed it up on both occasions.

Strootman's Finger

I was very much for this signing, probably my first choice last summer, but he needs more to his game than cutting onto his left foot and hitting a curler past the far post. I get that he adds balance to the team, we clearly look like a better TEAM when he plays, but he needs to kick on individually.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
This doesn’t feel surprising for someone that attacks the flank with less gusto than Valencia is his latter, tumescent years.

The annoying thing against Liverpool too was that he twice has opportunities on the left, on his favoured left foot, to put simple crosses behind their defence, yet he hesitated and ballsed it up on both occasions.
The video going around of the nine "key passes" he has made so far this season reflects that xG stat.

Josh 76

He is probably the easiest player to mark in the PL.
Not seen a player so one footed at Utd, since Valencia. But the thing with Valencia was he could still beat his man. This guy is hopeless!

Josh 76

Atm it does look like we signed a street footballer with some silks who needs to go out on loan to a smaller club to improve his decision making and add more bows to his quiver in general, which when you consider the big money we set aside for him is quite damning and indicative of the fact that we got taken in by the hype train surrounding him.
Nunez looks a steal now!

Matt851

I was very much for this signing, probably my first choice last summer, but he needs more to his game than cutting onto his left foot and hitting a curler past the far post. I get that he adds balance to the team, we clearly look like a better TEAM when he plays, but he needs to kick on individually.
Not sure we do clearly look like a better team when he plays. We might be slightly better given the deficiencies of our alternative options but would have been interesting to have seen more of pellistri. Either way our rw is really sub standard

redcucumber

He is probably the easiest player to mark in the PL.
Not seen a player so one footed at Utd, since Valencia. But the thing with Valencia was he could still beat his man. This guy is hopeless!
Great to see United fans backing their new players and giving them time to settle.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Maybe it's simply a mismatch. Dennis Bergkamp failed at Inter Milan but has a statue in London. It sometimes happens.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He wasnt worth 80m and most likely never will be (hopefully i am wrong on this). Will be a good option to have in the squad but we should stop seeing his transfer fee as it is not the player’s fault.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
There was that small window where he came back into the side and he looked good-ish but since his Barca goal, in which he was a sub anyway, he's been going backwards again.

Comfortably the most frustrating player in the United side on the basis that he just doesn't do anything remotely creative or spontaneous.

Gets the ball, does a roll-over dribble, pass it back inside and repeat.

Cloud7

The combination of looking underwhelming to the eye test, as well as being statistically underwhelming

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Remember when we thought, with Wout in the side, he'd put in a few crosses haha...urhh.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
I wouldn't mind seeing Antony play from the left and Sancho from the right, a la Pep in previous years with Sane/Foden and Sterling/KDB/Ferran. It may help both of them.

Brophs

The One and Only
Self-confidence in a footballer is generally a good thing, but very occasionally, you do wonder whether a tiny bit less might be no harm.

SAFMUTD

Not looking good at all, he always cuts inside. I think we feck up with this one.

Crimson King

We would be a far better team with nunez in than Antony. At least with nunez you can see the potential for him to be world class if he can improve his finishing
We'd look a better team because he can actually play as a striker. At the moment they seem to have him dovetailing from the left with Gakpo, who starts centrally, so his underwhelming finishing isn't such a problem.

Regardless of what you think about Nunez or Antony, we needed a RW and a ST, even before Ronaldo left. We only got one.

Add to that the fact they also signed Gakpo, who we apparently wanted, probably to do a similar role, and we were left with Wout...of course it looks like they're better off.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
On the one hand, loved his goal... it's a hell of a trick that he's got in his locker that cut-inside shot.

On the other, hated that he didn't pass that one on one... It's almost inexcusable.

Anthony gonna Anthony I guess.

Zoo

Wish he had squared that ball as that was such a brilliant move. Good work rate and beautiful goal.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Great strike. Thought he was rubbish the rest of the game. Constant horrible decision making. He's a one trick pony in terms of cut in and try to float it in, which he's pretty good at tbf, but I'd love to see him actually try to shoot with power sometimes and not just do the floaters.

Also not passing on the one chance was criminal.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Now that was a good performance imo. Couple of mistakes with decision making but that you can live with. Looked threatening though

The United

One of them should go in anyway when he tries to strike like 10 times a game. The other nine would have gotten us some more goals if he passes more.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Great goal but cannot believe he didn’t square it with 3 players waiting for a tap in. You want to make that second leg as easy as possible so I’m sure ETH will be on him about that. If you can turn a 90% chance into a 100% one you should always do it.

PSV

Ugh, hard to knock him on the days where he actually scores, but he did miss a 1v1 and could have picked up two easy assists by just picking out easy passes. Probably a 7 or so tonight, but could with better decision making have been a 10.

El Jefe

I thought that was his best game for us, he actually put in two good crosses and seemed to be a bit more direct.

Their left back was awful though so not sure if his good performance was a result of that. Regardless it was a good game with a great goal.

Will need to see a lot more to be convinced though.

Status
Not open for further replies.