Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

CG1010

Course he has. Probably even better.
Well differ with you strongly on that. Prior to this run, his best form was probably before the shoulder injury in 2019. He neither was as prolific nor so consistent at causing chaos amongst top defenders.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Maybe the difference is I don't see Antony has talentless player but a frustrating player in that he clearly gets into good positons, has good movements and has strong technical ball skills, but a couple of big flaws affect his game. And some improvement in those would help him massively.

Your post makes it seem we have never had situations where a new player struggles in the PL in the first season and then is physically more adept in coming ones!

Rashford example is on point because while he had performed well earlier, he had never shown this level of performance earlier. And most people didn't belive he had it in him until last season. Hindsight bias?
I agree 100% on the bolded part. We just differ in how likely it is that Antony will improve on his "big flaws". I say not much. And those flaws are impacting MASSIVELY his decision making (which imo is quite good already).

Even when rashford was scoring we all didn't think he was all that technically and a poor dribbler. In hindsight one can always say we all thought he was a top player but just in a poor phase. More popular was the opinion that his 2019 form was a one-off and in reality he is an average player technically.
We can argue if he really got that much better technically, but surely we can agree he was always very fast and had a good shot on him. He still plays high risk high reward game, it just comes off more frequently because he matured a bit in terms of decision making, is less nervous etc.

There's a difference in "he just needs to be more calm in 1on1" vs "he just needs to get faster and work on his weaker foot". The former is likely to come with age, the latter is something you get at young age and not much you can do about it later.

CG1010

I agree 100% on the bolded part. We just differ in how likely it is that Antony will improve on his "big flaws". I say not much. And those flaws are impacting MASSIVELY his decision making (which imo is quite good already).

We can argue if he really got that much better technically, but surely we can agree he was always very fast and had a good shot on him. He still plays high risk high reward game, it just comes off more frequently because he matured a bit in terms of decision making, is less nervous etc.

There's a difference in "he just needs to be more calm in 1on1" vs "he just needs to get faster and work on his weaker foot".
Hmm look I don't think Rashford is just more calm in 1 on 1, but he is also sharper at turning and accelrating which wasn't the case when he wasn't fit. That's where I am hoping some more fitness work for Antony would help really.

Skills

Snitch

There's a difference in "he just needs to be more calm in 1on1" vs "he just needs to get faster and work on his weaker foot".
And actually develop some sort of legitimate attacking weapon. He has no genuine threat on goal in the form of either top level vision, excellent crossing, a lethal shot or even just terrifying pace in behind. He's just so meh, as an attacker in all of those categories.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Hmm look I don't think Rashford is just more calm in 1 on 1, but he is also sharper at turning and accelrating which wasn't the case when he wasn't fit. That's where I am hoping some more fitness work for Antony would help really.
What do you mean "when Rashford wasn't fit"? Does Antony look unfit now?

And actually develop some sort of legitimate attacking weapon. He has no genuine threat on goal in the form of either top level vision, excellent crossing, a lethal shot or even just terrifying pace in behind. He's just so meh, as an attacker in all of those categories.
The good work he does is more of a "midfielder" than an "attacker" so I consider him as RM rather than RM.
I am still not convinced if he's a good shooter or an average one, that is basically the only "attacking weapon" he has.

miked99

I like him. Doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement, his constant cutting back inside is frustrating at times.

He just needs to be more direct. He's got endless tricks and skills so beating his man isn't an issue but he needs to do it on the outside which leads to natural crossing positions.

I've noticed he has actually tried to go on the outside a couple of times recently so hopefully that's an element of his game that is being worked on.

CG1010

The good work he does is more of a "midfielder" than an "attacker" so I consider him as RM rather than RM.
I am still not convinced if he's a good shooter or an average one, that is basically the only "attacking weapon" he has.

Anthony doesn't look unfit per se but he gets outpaced easily by defenders. He seems to actively avoid getting physical with them or taking them on with his acceleration. Hence the safe/back passes etc. While some of it could be his style, it could also help him if he gets into a physique development programme this summer to have better acceleration and strength. Could help his game a lot.

Skills

Snitch
I like him. Doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement, his constant cutting back inside is frustrating at times.

He just needs to be more direct. He's got endless tricks and skills so beating his man isn't an issue but he needs to do it on the outside which leads to natural crossing positions.

I've noticed he has actually tried to go on the outside a couple of times recently so hopefully that's an element of his game that is being worked on.
Do any of them involve him not standing stationary with the ball? He can't seem to sell a simple feint/drop of the shoulder.

Flapping your feet around the ball does nothing.

Last edited:

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Anthony doesn't look unfit per se but he gets outpaced easily by defenders. He seems to actively avoid getting physical with them or taking them on with his acceleration. Hence the safe/back passes etc. While some of it could be his style, it could also help him if he gets into a physique development programme this summer to have better acceleration and strength. Could help his game a lot.
Is this a thing? I mean, isn't that called just "training" that everybody does?
No offense but I think you're coming up with simple solutions to complicated issues.

Skills

Snitch

You're probably right. I think he could be similar to Bernardo Silva, but just a very, very poor version of him.

CG1010

Is this a thing? I mean, isn't that called just "training" that everybody does?
No offense but I think you're coming up with simple solutions to complicated issues.
Just off the top of my head, Depay and Van De Beek were put on special physical regimes to better adapt to the PL. Obviously those two examples don't help my case - haha - but I sure remember there being others as well.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Well differ with you strongly on that. Prior to this run, his best form was probably before the shoulder injury in 2019. He neither was as prolific nor so consistent at causing chaos amongst top defenders.
Rashford's been scoring more goals during this current period, but I'd still say his all-round performances were better in 19/20 before the injury. He was so dangerous in basically every aspect, with his dribbling, passing and crossing all being better than what he's shown this season. He was genuinely terrifying defenders on the regular, whereas this season he's actually had a lot of games where he hasn't really played that well but has popped up with a goal. Obviously he's had some games where he's been truly good in all aspects, but not as many IMO.

In saying that, he did have a fit and firing Martial to combine with back then, which is of course very different than trying to do it with Ronaldo or Wout like he's had to do this season. An in-form Martial tends to bring out the best in all our attackers, which is why it's so disappointing that Rashford is injured just as Martial seems to be back. Seeing as this is an Antony thread though, hopefully Antony (and Sancho) can take advantage of his return.

Marwood

His finishing has been better this season but do you really think he's faster and more two footed than his previous best run of form?

Because these are the things you think Antony can improve with training.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Thought he had one of his best games for us tonight. He beat his man on a few occasions, released the ball at the right time and was a constant menace right up until he was subbed up. No doubt you'll have the usual suspects on here soon saying that he's never beaten his man before though.

RuudtheRed

A really excellent performance and was unlucky not to score. Could have changed the game significantly had he done so. For some reason, he looked a lot faster too.

STYLOISRED

Say what you want about him, his defensive contribution is unmatched by any of our other wingers.

CM

He was really good tonight and unlucky with that shot which hit the post. It deserved a goal and would've put the tie to bed. Huge shame.

Andersons Dietician

This is splitting hairs given he had I felt a really good game but if you’ve got 4 people pressing you then somewhere on that pitch are team mates who are free. You’ve got to find that pass.

Next one sure he is capable of bending it in the top corner and he almost did but Sancho and Bruno are wide open in better positions and it’s an easy pass, goals win games and both were in better positions to score.

UnitedRepublic

This is splitting hairs given he had I felt a really good game but if you’ve got 4 people pressing you then somewhere on that pitch are team mates who are free. You’ve got to find that pass.

Next one sure he is capable of bending it in the top corner and he almost did but Sancho and Bruno are wide open in better positions and it’s an easy pass, goals win games and both were in better positions to score.
Thank you there are so many things he does well but his decision making is not the decision making of a team player thats all I can say about him but he got skills.

Idxomer

Yep, he has to make that pass and it happened in the last game too with Rashford. He also delayed that pass very early in the game which caused Sancho's goal to be chalked off.

RedStarUnited

Wow Im glad someone else saw it like I did. He needs to dribble inside and make the pass we had an overload. But he never looks up and has his mind pretty much set as soon as he got the ball.

Matt851

Decent game but still not much end product and could have made more with some opportunities in the first half if more direct

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Agreed. Antony being a little less selfish could have killed the game for us tonight, more than once.

saivet

His decision making can be a bit frustrating but thought he was good tonight and by far our best and most threatening attacker.

Abhinav

He has the talent but is quite raw. Needs to be less selfish and make better decisions. He played well but was not decisive enough. Could have had a couple of assists if he looked up more.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
A lot of good, a lot of bad. His finishing isn't good enough to be as selfish as he is.

As soon as he gets in a certain position you know he won't pass no matter how good the alternative. No wonder he's got so few assists.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Our best attacker tonight and keeps moves alive due to his touch and technique when others kill moves.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Hes a good player, hope he gets better next season

Status
Not open for further replies.