Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
There are early signs, even with only 2 games, to read if a player is going to be a failure. Antony thus far has failed to do any of the below:
1) score 5 goals in each game he's played
2) create a minimum of 3 assists per game
3) dribble 60 yards across the pitch and beating at least 13 players (including own teammates) on the way before scoring or assisting
3) Kerlon type sea dribbes
4) change his name to Antony-Antony to prove he's twice as good

Not much hope left for him tbh.
The change his name bit :lol:

TheReligion

Abusive
I’ve watched every United game for as many years I can think of pal. But you don’t half come out with some nonsense.

Your using Elanga’s one performance against Liverpool where he did ok, nothing outstanding. He’s been in and out of the team for over a year and majority of the time been considerably underwhelming. Yet according to you, he’s a better option than Antony who’s not even had 5 games in the league.

ETH who has more knowledge than you could ever dream of in football chooses to buy him at all costs knowing full well he has Elanga, but he’s wrong to do so? Go grab another coffee.
He’s trolling.

Antony has a high workrate himself which has been obvious in every game he’s played.

Chief123

He’s trolling.

Antony has a high workrate himself which has been obvious in every game he’s played.
I’d go as far as saying Antony has the highest work rate in our whole team along with Martinez.

But the stupidity in his post comes from the fact that work rate alone for a winger/forward isn’t going to get us very far. Elanga is extremely limited in what he can offer similar to how Dan James was. He’s getting giddy about his performance against Liverpool in which ironically it’s the perfect setup for Elanga to play against. A high line with lots of space. Even I’d look sensational on the left wing against Trent right now.

OmarUnited4ever

I rated him as a good, but not too special player all throughout the transfer window. Both when it looked likely he would leave as well as stay. Mind you, he will perform better than he has so far for Utd, he showed that tons of times at Ajax. However, I don’t think he will ever be a world beater, or be good enough for a starting sport in a team competing for the top prizes
What makes you so certain that he won't be good enough to start for a team competing for the top prizes?

I get the world beater bit, only very few can be world beaters like Haaland or Mbappe so Antony might not rise that level, but to say he isn't good enough to play for a team aiming to win trophies is premature at best, plenty of excellent players that play for top teams now were not world beaters and never will be, like Bayern's Muller or City's B.Silva, they are top class players but never a world beaters like a Lewa or KdB.

Writing Antony off is as I said above, premature judgment, so why not just wait and see how he does this season

Bondi77

I’ve watched every United game for as many years I can think of pal. But you don’t half come out with some nonsense.

Your using Elanga’s one performance against Liverpool where he did ok, nothing outstanding. He’s been in and out of the team for over a year and majority of the time been considerably underwhelming. Yet according to you, he’s a better option than Antony who’s not even had 5 games in the league.

ETH who has more knowledge than you could ever dream of in football chooses to buy him at all costs knowing full well he has Elanga, but he’s wrong to do so? Go grab another coffee.
Any top level manager would have more football knowledge than you or myself and every player they have brought to their club has been successful?????
Get an extra shot in your coffee buddy :lol:
Have a nice day.

Chief123

Any top level manager would have more football knowledge than you or myself and every player they have brought to their club has been successful?????
Get an extra shot in your coffee buddy :lol:
Have a nice day.
You suggested Elanga, let that sink in. :lol:

OmarUnited4ever

Elanga will have the RW position back by Christmas.
Elanga isn't that good though, you could've said Sancho will be switched to the right and Rashford left with Martial up top and Antony benched by Christmas, that would have made some sense, but suggesting Elanga will bench Antony makes you look less coherent

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Elanga is much better off the left, that's the position he played in the youth teams and that's where he's looked the most comfortable even at senior level.

TheReligion

Abusive
Elanga is much better off the left, that's the position he played in the youth teams and that's where he's looked the most comfortable even at senior level.
Aye. The fact he uses a game where he’s played well on the left to suggest he’ll replace Antony on the right is stupid in itself.

Monks_United

Muuh, Elanga > Antony > Rashford > Zidane > Maradona.

Lets have all the hot takes while we are at it. Would have honestly been the same set of folks who'd have slagged off Evra after his game against City and for the remainder of his season here. Might be more useful to critique the players performance for the game rather than try and be an Oracle with a future foot in the mouth syndrome.

AjaxNL

What makes you so certain that he won't be good enough to start for a team competing for the top prizes?

I get the world beater bit, only very few can be world beaters like Haaland or Mbappe so Antony might not rise that level, but to say he isn't good enough to play for a team aiming to win trophies is premature at best, plenty of excellent players that play for top teams now were not world beaters and never will be, like Bayern's Muller or City's B.Silva, they are top class players but never a world beaters like a Lewa or KdB.

Writing Antony off is as I said above, premature judgment, so why not just wait and see how he does this season
I’m not certain at all. I just base my judgement on having watched him two seasons. It’s a football based discussion forum, if you expect certainty, we might as well delete the whole forum

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I’m not certain at all. I just base my judgement on having watched him two seasons. It’s a football based discussion forum, if you expect certainty, we might as well delete the whole forum
But if he was still your player you would think he's only behind Neymar.

Stacks

But if he was still your player you would think he's only behind Neymar.
These were the tweets from 28th August 2 days before he signed for United.

AjaxNL

Joined May 27, 2010Messages 164
dasty said:
The lad haven't even signed the contract and yet this thread is already filled with people ready to call him a flop. Lots of people here needs to give their head a wobble, go out and touch some grass, and maybe take a nap or two.
I see more people calling him a potential world beater, than people thinking he'll flop. Both will probably be wrong in a few years time. My prediction after having watched him for 2 years at Ajax: He'll do okay/fine for United, never justifying his ridiculous price, but also not flopping. Bear in mind, the guy doesn't have many standout features. One is his ability to take on an opponent, that is for sure. And that will be useful when attacking a low block. But his shot (weak too often), crossing (also, too weak, most of the time just chipping balls into the box) and physicality are sub-par for a Top6 premier league winger. acceleration (good) and top speed (decent to good) should also be mentioned.

This is the tweet about Martinez. Seems to rate Martinez far higher.

AjaxNL

I saw almost the entire match yesterday, and especially paid close attention to MArtinez and Malacia. Glad that the caf is creaming themselves over that Martinez performance, but for me it was his basic level. This is what you can expect from Martinez every and any match. He will play with the same fire and tenacity against Liverpool as well as a championship side for the League Cup. He is such a winner. Expect many more matches like these from him this season (preferably not partnered with Maguire).

Out of the two it was Malacia that stood out for me. I expected the performance from MArtinez, but seeing Malacia boss Salah around was more special. Contrary to MArtinez, I don't think that is his standard level yet. Great prospect and great player in the making though.

little.triangles

I remember @AjaxNL posting back in April that he rates Antony as a good player but not as someone one who will become the best in his position. He has been consistent in his assessment.

The thing though is that EtH will be the best assessor on what Antony's ceiling is. The fact that the transfer of a 100m went ahead makes me think that at least EtH thinks it's worth the outlay. I trust this manager, so I will be patient for a long time.

I remember Ronaldo was often written off as a flashy trickster who would never become a consistent top player. We all saw him become just that. It did take Fergie and the other senior players at United for him to make that jump. Hopefully, in Antony's case, it will be EtH and players like Martinez and Bruno and Eriksen who are winners.

Stacks

I remember @AjaxNL posting back in April that he rates Antony as a good player but not as someone one who will become the best in his position. He has been consistent in his assessment.

The thing though is that EtH will be the best assessor on what Antony's ceiling is. The fact that the transfer of a 100m went ahead makes me think that at least EtH thinks it's worth the outlay. I trust this manager, so I will be patient for a long time.

I remember Ronaldo was often written off as a flashy trickster who would never become a consistent top player. We all saw him become just that. It did take Fergie and the other senior players at United for him to make that jump. Hopefully, in Antony's case, it will be EtH and players like Martinez and Bruno and Eriksen who are winners.
Why? What is his transfer history like? I don't trust any manager really for signings. I feel they are incredibly limited, blinkered and have a small shortlist and simply revert to type. Klopp wanted that German winger Julian Brandt, yet Liverpool made him get Salah who turns out their best ever player. Klopp had a chance to get Mane when he was younger but thought he was a gangsta. He would have probably tried to sign all his Dortmund players given the chance. Trusting the manager has cost us too much money these years so I would prefer a better scouting team/committee or sporting director who does the transfers. Just my 2 pence. The basketball system has a head coach and then a general manager who does the signings. Seems to work.

When did people say this about Ronaldo? people exaggerate the Ronaldo criticism. At the end of his first season he shone at the Euros, making the team of the tournament as an 18 year old and scored 7 international goals in 16 apps in 2004. He improved every season. He would of won best young player at the world cup but they overruled him because of his behavior in 2006.

little.triangles

Why? What is his transfer history like? I don't trust any manager really for signings. I feel they are incredibly limited, blinkered and have a small shortlist and simply revert to type. Klopp wanted that German winger Julian Brandt, yet Liverpool made him get Salah who turns out their best ever player. Klopp had a chance to get Mane when he was younger but thought he was a gangsta. He would have probably tried to sign all his Dortmund players given the chance. Trusting the manager has cost us too much money these years so I would prefer a better scouting team/committee or sporting director who does the transfers. Just my 2 pence. The basketball system has a head coach and then a general manager who does the signings. Seems to work.

When did people say this about Ronaldo? people exaggerate the Ronaldo criticism. At the end of his first season he shone at the Euros, making the team of the tournament as an 18 year old and scored 7 international goals in 16 apps in 2004. He improved every season. He would of won best young player at the world cup but they overruled him because of his behavior in 2006.
His transfer history with United has been as of now stellar. Martinez. Malacia. Eriksen. (have no doubt that Casemiro will come good, though it has all the shades of a club singing anyway).

Also, very crucially, he has worked with Antony before and knows everything about him - without this I wouldn't have made the claim.

About Ronaldo, his talent was very clear for many people. Many others also moaned a lot about him, about his step overs, about his lack of final product at United in the league (forget Euros and world cup).

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
those being overly harsh on antony are clearly forgetting that leg stank stepover thing he did against arsenal.

little.triangles

those being overly harsh on antony are clearly forgetting that leg stank stepover thing he did against arsenal.
He also attracted two Arsenal defenders to himself at one point, which created space for Dalot, and then backheeled the ball for Dalot to cross a beauty into the box that Eriksen could have easily finished. There's a lot to come from this boy. Goodness he's not even played 4 games for us so far. People need to get a grip.

Stacks

His transfer history with United has been as of now stellar. Martinez. Malacia. Eriksen. (have no doubt that Casemiro will come good, though it has all the shades of a club singing anyway).

Also, very crucially, he has worked with Antony before and knows everything about him - without this I wouldn't have made the claim.

About Ronaldo, his talent was very clear for many people. Many others also moaned a lot about him, about his step overs, about his lack of final product at United in the league (forget Euros and world cup).
hold your horses. Stellar is an exaggeration. remember with new players their good parts tend to get overhyped and their weakness downplayed. I like Malacia energy but he isn't up to Shaw level (when he tries), Lisandro has had good games and ones where his partner bailed him although they seem to compliment. currently averaging a 6.7 rating whilst Erikson is averaging a 6.48.

Working with someone in another team in a different league doesn't prepare you for England and can be a weakness. Jose will probably try and buy Lukaku and Matic again if he gets another top job. Like I said it sometimes leaves managers "blinkered." Pep hasn't gone and bought all his Barcelona boys or Bayern. he has hardly been linked with any and didn't even come in for Messi.

OmarUnited4ever

Fair enough, nothing is certain, but at least you have to accept that your assessment (that Antony will never be good enough for a team aiming for the top honors) is a premature one, at least for the context of his United career.

OmarUnited4ever

These were the tweets from 28th August 2 days before he signed for United.

AjaxNL

I see more people calling him a potential world beater, than people thinking he'll flop. Both will probably be wrong in a few years time. My prediction after having watched him for 2 years at Ajax: He'll do okay/fine for United, never justifying his ridiculous price, but also not flopping. Bear in mind, the guy doesn't have many standout features. One is his ability to take on an opponent, that is for sure. And that will be useful when attacking a low block. But his shot (weak too often), crossing (also, too weak, most of the time just chipping balls into the box) and physicality are sub-par for a Top6 premier league winger. acceleration (good) and top speed (decent to good) should also be mentioned.

This is the tweet about Martinez. Seems to rate Martinez far higher.

AjaxNL

I saw almost the entire match yesterday, and especially paid close attention to MArtinez and Malacia. Glad that the caf is creaming themselves over that Martinez performance, but for me it was his basic level. This is what you can expect from Martinez every and any match. He will play with the same fire and tenacity against Liverpool as well as a championship side for the League Cup. He is such a winner. Expect many more matches like these from him this season (preferably not partnered with Maguire).

Out of the two it was Malacia that stood out for me. I expected the performance from MArtinez, but seeing Malacia boss Salah around was more special. Contrary to MArtinez, I don't think that is his standard level yet. Great prospect and great player in the making though.
I have no issues with AjaxNL assessment of Antony as a player in relation to his performances with Ajax in the past 2 seasons, but based on AjaxNL's older post you quoted, AjaxNL never said that Antony will never be good enough for a team that is aiming to win trophies, that is at least my understanding, we've seen plenty of players who were never the best in their positions but had the quality to start for successful teams, hence why I thought his judgment was premature.

btw, everything I'm saying is based on my belief that Antony will never justify his price tag.

little.triangles

hold your horses. Stellar is an exaggeration. remember with new players their good parts tend to get overhyped and their weakness downplayed. I like Malacia energy but he isn't up to Shaw level (when he tries), Lisandro has had good games and ones where his partner bailed him although they seem to compliment. currently averaging a 6.7 rating whilst Erikson is averaging a 6.48.

Working with someone in another team in a different league doesn't prepare you for England and can be a weakness. Jose will probably try and buy Lukaku and Matic again if he gets another top job. Like I said it sometimes leaves managers "blinkered." Pep hasn't gone and bought all his Barcelona boys or Bayern. he has hardly been linked with any and didn't even come in for Messi.
Considering players from other leagues find the transition to the premier league a bit of a shock at the beginning, I would argue that if anything Martinez and Malacia will only keep getting better. They have replaced previously untouchable players in the squad. Better a Malacia than a Shaw who blows hot and cold. Better a Martinez who will always be aggressive and set a rhythm for the team. I don't remember when Martinez was bailed by his partner btw?

So Eriksen averages 6.8? So what? My eyes tell me he has been the difference in a lot of games. Stats prove nothing without context.

As for EtH, it is the whole package of his personality, his bravery to take tough decisions, his no-nonsense lack of pandering to any individual player, his tactical acumen within games, it is all these qualities that make me trust him. And since he hasn't made a big mistake in the transfer market yet, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on Antony - who, let's be real, hasn't been bad at all. His only crime has been of not having the impact instantly of a 100m player. He is never a 100m player but that is the fault of the club. He can, however, be an excellent player.

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We really love to dismiss a player quite quickly on this forum. Anyway, who do we sign to replace Antony?

little.triangles

We really love to dismiss a player quite quickly on this forum. Anyway, who do we sign to replace Antony?
I simply don't understand it. The guy hasn't played 5 games, much less start 5 games for United. Whatever happened to getting a run of games, settling into a new team, into a new league and country?

And this after scoring on his debut in a big game against the league leaders! A very tidy finish, NOT a tap-in :lol:

Chief123

My view is similar in that I fully trust ETH as he has shown in the very little time he’s been here that he knows exactly what he’s doing. He’s an incredibly intelligent and meticulous manager when you hear of the great level of detail he goes to.

I’m convinced ETH hasn’t brought him in just based on what he has done so far. ETH knows better than any of us what Antony is capable of becoming. Even what we have seen as fans since he’s come to Utd is not his current norm. He’s performed much better than what he’s shown so far.

I’m confident he’ll come good.

little.triangles

My view is similar in that I fully trust ETH as he has shown in the very little time he’s been here that he knows exactly what he’s doing. He’s an incredibly intelligent and meticulous manager when you hear of the great level of detail he goes to.

I’m convinced ETH hasn’t brought him in just based on what he has done so far. ETH knows better than any of us what Antony is capable of becoming. Even what we have seen as fans since he’s come to Utd is not his current norm. He’s performed much better than what he’s shown so far.

I’m confident he’ll come good.
Agreed.

EtH has already faced a mini crisis at the club (after the first 2 games) and has come through that about as perfectly as one could have hoped. He made big calls by dropping big names and set a high standard, and the other players have responded. And he has brought in this player with a high potential. I don't see why we shouldn't be excited - I suppose United fans have been burned a lot in the past decade, and the default position is of pessimism, which I understand and share too to some extent.

Chief123

Agreed.

EtH has already faced a mini crisis at the club (after the first 2 games) and has come through that about as perfectly as one could have hoped. He made big calls by dropping big names and set a high standard, and the other players have responded. And he has brought in this player with a high potential. I don't see why we shouldn't be excited - I suppose United fans have been burned a lot in the past decade, and the default position is of pessimism, which I understand and share too to some extent.
I genuinely feared for ETH after the Brentford defeat. Not so much that he would get sacked immediately. But how he would be able to steady a seriously rocking ship. That was an immense pressure situation with having the fixtures we had ahead as well. We could quite easily have ended up with 6 defeats in a row. He’s shown some serious balls and character to rectify some major problems so quick.

I don’t think he’ll have any issues getting a lot more output from Antony once he’s settled down.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Get off YouTube mate and actually watch a full game.
Have a look at Elanga against Liverpool not so long ago and judge his workrate and the torrid time he gave TAA.
Football is not about doing pirouettes when there is no pressure on the opponent :nono:
And what about Antony in the UCL. Seems you are being quite selective in what you watch/reference

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
This won't age well. Even if Antony doesn't hit the heights we'd hope for he's an EtH man so he'll give him every opportunity.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
He'll be good. Want proof???

I signed him for my FIFA man utd team team and he is currently the PL top snorer after 4 games with 5 goals.

Simples.
Good at snoring is not exactly what we need. Our players already look asleep most games.

Bondi77

This won't age well. Even if Antony doesn't hit the heights we'd hope for he's an EtH man so he'll give him every opportunity.
That is true, he will be given every opportunity to get up to speed in the same way Sancho and any big money signing at any club would do but in the Premier League there are very few teams that can be bullied and be classified as easy games unlike other leagues in Europe.
Big money signings come with the added pressure of fan expectation that they will hit the ground running so the clock will be ticking a little bit quicker for some more than others.

Pat Cat

I wouldn't be so certain since Antony is ETH's man and Elanga is more of a LW but it's amusing to see people thinking Antony is so far ahead of Elanga. Been very unimpressed with the lad any time I've seen him

Nick.

Why all the negativity around Antony on this page? I thought he was doing quite well so far. He's only had a few games but works hard and scored an important goal against a good side.

Stacks

I have no issues with AjaxNL assessment of Antony as a player in relation to his performances with Ajax in the past 2 seasons, but based on AjaxNL's older post you quoted, AjaxNL never said that Antony will never be good enough for a team that is aiming to win trophies, that is at least my understanding, we've seen plenty of players who were never the best in their positions but had the quality to start for successful teams, hence why I thought his judgment was premature.

btw, everything I'm saying is based on my belief that Antony will never justify his price tag.
depends what the expectation of £80 million is. It is a bit harsh as players dont set their transfer price so its the club that has heaped the pressure onto them same as Maguire. better to look at him as a £50 million player like Richarlison or something

The Siege

He'll be fine, has all the core ingredients of a good winger and once he understands English football a little more and gets that marginal level up, he'll reach at least Nani level. He's not going to be skinning wingbacks like he was in the Dutch league, but he has the technical ability to make them regret getting too tight to him.

His most unsung contribution is going to be that he'll always be man-marked by two players and create room for others without being prolific on the ball. We'll reap the rewards of having an actual threat on the right, even if we have to wait for the output to catch up.

OmarUnited4ever

depends what the expectation of £80 million is. It is a bit harsh as players dont set their transfer price so its the club that has heaped the pressure onto them same as Maguire. better to look at him as a £50 million player like Richarlison or something
Agreed, 80/100M or more in terms of price tags indicates best in class, as in Haaland/Mbappe, which would be an unfair expectations on Antony, but we can hope for that he can at least be a good/very good player for us (this is not an assessment, just a wish/hope) when we are in a place to compete for top honors.

Skills

Snitch
He'll be fine, has all the core ingredients of a good winger and once he understands English football a little more and gets that marginal level up, he'll reach at least Nani level. He's not going to be skinning wingbacks like he was in the Dutch league, but he has the technical ability to make them regret getting too tight to him.

His most unsung contribution is going to be that he'll always be man-marked by two players and create room for others without being prolific on the ball. We'll reap the rewards of having an actual threat on the right, even if we have to wait for the output to catch up.
Why would you double up on a player who like you said won't be skinning full backs, or doesn't really have a massive goal scoring/assisting threat?

You double up on the players who really hurt you.

Status
Not open for further replies.