Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JB7

We get worse in the second half no matter who goes off
Disagree - the difference in our game is most noticeable when Antony goes off.

We went from bad to slightly worse. That still doesnt mean he is good enough
Given he's considerably better than the other options, he's certainly good enough as it stands.

lsd

The Oracle

Given he's considerably better than the other options, he's certainly good enough as it stands.

The great myth continues:rolleyes:

Lyng

Is he though. I would argue Bruno has been better, and Pellistri has been more threatening the few chances he has got.

And this is without bringing Amad and "he who shall not be named" in to the conversation.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It’s not a myth though. Nobody made an kind of convincing claim for the right wing last season. Bruno can do a job for us there but we miss him in the centre. Pellistri’s just a kid who’s had some nice cameos but there’s zero certainty that he’d be a better option and the manager who works with them every day in training evidently doesn’t think he’s up to the job.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
He has missed a lot of the big chances the past couple of months. He’s an extremely frustrating player without the reward for risk at the moment. I hope he sorts his attitude out aswell, he’s very unlikeable with a lot of petulance. He’s probably the biggest disappointment of the season for me.

Lyng

It’s not a myth though. Nobody made an kind of convincing claim for the right wing last season. Bruno can do a job for us there but we miss him in the centre. Pellistri’s just a kid who’s had some nice cameos but there’s zero certainty that he’d be a better option and the manager who works with them every day in training evidently doesn’t think he’s up to the job.
Please look at his stats. They are extremely worrying for a winger.

JB7

It's not a myth at all :lol: I've been at all our games this season bar about 6 and the level with him on and off the pitch is noticeable, regardless of whether he's having a particularly good game or not.

Pogue Mahone

Please look at his stats. They are extremely worrying for a winger.
We’re not creating from either flank though. Rashford’s got a lot of goals but that’s mainly by playing as a striker with Bruno creating through the middle.

Anyway, I said that Anthony needs to up his productivity. That doesn’t mean he isn’t currently our best option on the right. He’s also a bit unlucky with hitting the woodwork this season. Not all that far off having a reasonable return in terms of goals. Especially considering it’s his first season with us, in a new league.

Idxomer

Another one whose finishing isn't good and underperforming his xG.

Lyng

We’re not creating from either flank though. Rashford’s got a lot of goals but that’s mainly by playing as a striker with Bruno creating through the middle.

Anyway, I said that Anthony needs to up his productivity. That doesn’t mean he isn’t currently our best option on the right. He’s also a bit unlucky with hitting the woodwork this season. Not all that far off having a reasonable return in terms of goals. Especially considering it’s his first season with us, in a new league.
But thats the issue. Rashfords passing and expected assist stats are much higher than Antony but he has been scoring a lot. Antony doesnt score enough compared to his amount of shots and in terms of creating he doesnt do enough. His expected assist stat is in the 26th percentile which is woeful. He does quite abit of progressive runs but his progressive passing stats are very bad, which confirms the eye test, that he tries to shoot to much and looks for the pass to little.

Now I dont want to move him on already, but, as you say, he needs to up his productivity.

Pogue Mahone

But thats the issue. Rashfords passing and expected assist stats are much higher than Antony but he has been scoring a lot. Antony doesnt score enough compared to his amount of shots and in terms of creating he doesnt do enough. His expected assist stat is in the 26th percentile which is woeful. He does quite abit of progressive runs but his progressive passing stats are very bad, which confirms the eye test, that he tries to shoot to much and looks for the pass to little.

Now I dont want to move him on already, but, as you say, he needs to up his productivity.
That’s true. But maybe changed a bit in recent weeks? The Dalot assist being a good example. Plus he’s put some decent crosses in recently. Which wasn’t happening earlier in the season. I think you can see signs that he is starting to settle and improve. Obviously having a quality number 9 could be a big boost to his xA/A.

LordSpud

I don't know what it is about him. He just has such a punchable face. The grimace of apology he makes after he tries the shot when there's a better option of a pass.. I hate it.

Also we can no longer laugh at clubs for spending extortionate money on average players.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Yeah, I read them. You want Martial gone, but it's sad and he's struggled. Boo fecking hoo. The guys done nothing in 3 years but yet you think the lad who's only in the door a few months is a nothing player and spew more hate towards him than that utter waste of space. With Antony you want him gone and are writing him off before he's even had a chance to settle in.

For me, he's just one of the first pieces of the puzzle, once ETH starts putting the rest of the pieces he needs in there, we'll see a better player.
I don't get this argument because he actually settled really nicely IMO. I don't see a drop compared to what I've seen on some clips, he seems to be doing exactly the same but it's just not effective because it's a level higher opposition and he's not playing for a dominant team.
It's not like Sancho who can't seem to replicate his Dortmund form, Antony just seems like he hit his ceiling and some people just believe there's more than what we see and have much more optimism than others. But I don't know what this claim is based on.

Pogue Mahone

I don't know what it is about him. He just has such a punchable face. The grimace of apology he makes after he tries the shot when there's a better option of a pass.. I hate it.

Also we can no longer laugh at clubs for spending extortionate money on average players.
We lost that moral high ground a long time before we signed Anthony, that’s for sure.

Lyng

That’s true. But maybe changed a bit in recent weeks? The Dalot assist being a good example. Plus he’s put some decent crosses in recently. Which wasn’t happening earlier in the season. I think you can see signs that he is starting to settle and improve. Obviously having a quality number 9 could be a big boost to his xA/A.
He is young so one can still hope, but given this was the same at Ajax I do worry.
If Amad can keep his form from Sunderland I have a hard time imagining Antony starting over him in the long run.

jesperjaap

Its his first season, has had a decent one, can see plenty of ability though he has shown inexperience and inconcistency with decision making.

Few weeks ago he was gettign lauded, the usual play well three times youre great scenario.

I think he can be a really good player...however the £90m fee seems farcical, though it did at the time despite knowing little of him.

My only real criticism of him in hsi first season is how he seems to often vanish from games in the second half, so I can understand partly why he get subbed. However others should be before him

Darlington Padgett

Its his first season, has had a decent one, can see plenty of ability though he has shown inexperience and inconcistency with decision making.

Few weeks ago he was gettign lauded, the usual play well three times youre great scenario.

I think he can be a really good player...however the £90m fee seems farcical, though it did at the time despite knowing little of him.

My only real criticism of him in hsi first season is how he seems to often vanish from games in the second half, so I can understand partly why he get subbed. However others should be before him
The whole team seems to vanish in the second half. I agree he's had a decent season but he must work on his game next season or Amad should start ahead of him.

jesperjaap

The whole team seems to vanish in the second half. I agree he's had a decent season but he must work on his game next season or Amad should start ahead of him.
Most of my work colleagues are Hammers fans and after 20mins said we will prob lose. Slating of the side the last couple of weeks or so, I dont think we have played badly, we have ust been wasteful of the chances created in the first half, happened at Brighton and again last night. Colleagues saying how well West Ham played....they didn tthey were well organisedand fought harder.

Totally agree wth you, we seem to as a whole run out of ideas and belief in the second half so often if we are not ahead certainly.

Of course Antony has to work on his game, he has a long long way to go, the £90m fee is laughable even in todays market as he is a rough diamond that has a lot of progression to do, but I think so far he has done ok an dhas the tools to be a very good player, its just daft we way overpaid for him, that isnt his fault.

Amad certainly looks latented, but I think we have to remember he has done well on loan in the championship, really doesnt mean that much apart from his confidence and development is coming along. Still not sure he even gets chances as there is Rashford and Garnacho on the left, Antony and possibly Sancho on the right and lets not forget Pellestri who I wthink looks a really promisign player and he is barely getting a look in

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
He needs to stick with the bleached hair look I’ve noticed it’s when he performs the best.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
"First season." is such a nothing, desperate excuse.

It's Haaland's first season too. "But Haaland is a generational talent."

Okay, it's Mitoma's first season too.

jesperjaap

4 goals and 1 assist in the PL is not 'decent'. It's woeful.
Not disagreeing with you that its a poor return, but Rashfords 8seasons, half of them have pretty much compared with that, yet we wouldnt swap him for anybody int he world people say.

I think we have massively overpaid for a player with pretty much one seasons experience in Europe who has all the tools and ability to become a top player and should give him another season to show progression and judge him.

However probably wrote very similar about Sancho this time last year and he is still flattering to decieve whenever he plays

VWW

I've learnt my lesson with Rashford. I wrote him off and wanted him sold last season.

I'm giving Antony the benefit of the doubt since its his first season in a new league but I'm not gonna lie he is not helping himself. The constant cutting in is really killing our attacks. Against Brighton I think Rashford played a great pass for him to run on to with space ahead but he cut inside and the attack fizzled out. I still have hope for him to turn it around but I think that might come next season.

Another thing is that all the great managers manage to get one or two signings wrong. It happens. Although, in Ten Hags case he worked with Antony for two years so knew him quite well. If Antony turns out to be a dud (I hope not), I'm not gonna hold that against Ten Hag unless he makes a pattern of signing duds.

Pogue Mahone

"First season." is such a nothing, desperate excuse.

It's Haaland's first season too. "But Haaland is a generational talent."

Okay, it's Mitoma's first season too.
I mean, you'd have a point if there wasn't loads of examples of players who take a season to settle into a new club/league. Including some we know well from their time at Manchester United. Which is a fact that some players hitting the ground running doesn't change.

RedStarUnited

I've learnt my lesson with Rashford. I wrote him off and wanted him sold last season.

I'm giving Antony the benefit of the doubt since its his first season in a new league but I'm not gonna lie he is not helping himself. The constant cutting in is really killing our attacks. Against Brighton I think Rashford played a great pass for him to run on to with space ahead but he cut inside and the attack fizzled out. I still have hope for him to turn it around but I think that might come next season.

Another thing is that all the great managers manage to get one or two signings wrong. It happens. Although, in Ten Hags case he worked with Antony for two years so knew him quite well. If Antony turns out to be a dud (I hope not), I'm not gonna hold that against Ten Hag unless he makes a pattern of signing duds.
Someone like Rashford always had a 'weapon' - speed. And throughout his career, he has had a knack for scoring in big games.

Antony on the other hand, has no single weapon that can be relied on.

It's scary the amount of improvement he needs to make to justify his price.

Pogue Mahone

Someone like Rashford always had a 'weapon' - speed. And throughout his career, he has had a knack for scoring in big games.

I would have thought that the more "weapons" a player has the better?

Anthony has great close control, good touch, dribbling skills. is deceptively strong (which he you could see when he bodied a defender before the ball hit the corner flag) and has a good shot.

He's also got a load of flaws but in terms of raw materials there's a lot to work with.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Not disagreeing with you that its a poor return, but Rashfords 8seasons, half of them have pretty much compared with that, yet we wouldnt swap him for anybody int he world people say.

I think we have massively overpaid for a player with pretty much one seasons experience in Europe who has all the tools and ability to become a top player and should give him another season to show progression and judge him.

However probably wrote very similar about Sancho this time last year and he is still flattering to decieve whenever he plays
Hahahaha. Rashford's seasons have been far better than that. It was only last year he was poor but the whole club was in a total mess tbf.

The agendas on this forum are an absolute joke. Large portion of foreign fans on here just don't like Rashford and think Antony is doing well. It's absolute nonsense.

Rashford is our most talented forward players by a considerable distance.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
His output is concerning. But for me, it's how easily he loses his head over absolutely nothing.

He practically instigated the whole Casemiro vs palace thing and for the last few weeks every other game he seems to get into some kind of situation which causes him to do stupid shit.

Clearly coming out second fiddle to almost every left-back he faces is getting to him.

We can't blame him for the money spent, but you can't help but feel that money could've been better spent. His output frankly is barely below average.

But strip it all back and we have the best part of £160m invested in two wingers (with Sancho) who have yielded 14 goals and 4 assists between them this season. Darwin Nunez has done that alone in his first season. Mitoma isn't far off that alone. Saka and Martinelli are reeling off those numbers on their own. They have to get better and they have to get better quickly.

The hope is that with the addition of a top quality forward things start to click, but I have my doubts.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Concerrning but not insurmountable. I look at him as a bit of a Nani like project where he improves for a few years and becomes a very good player, but one with a relatively modest ceiling.

Pogue Mahone

Hahahaha. Rashford's seasons have been far better than that. It was only last year he was poor but the whole club was in a total mess tbf.

The agendas on this forum are an absolute joke. Large portion of foreign fans on here just don't like Rashford and think Antony is doing well. It's absolute nonsense.

Rashford is our most talented forward players by a considerable distance.
Hehe. The irony is strong with this one...

RedStarUnited

Concerrning but not insurmountable. I look at him as a bit of a Nani like project where he improves for a few years and becomes a very good player, but one with a relatively modest ceiling.
Again, Nani was rapid and could beat his man with ease. His issues were decision making and maybe consistency.

I would have thought that the more "weapons" a player has the better?

Anthony has great close control, good touch, dribbling skills. is deceptively strong (which he you could see when he bodied a defender before the ball hit the corner flag) and has a good shot.

He's also got a load of flaws but in terms of raw materials there's a lot to work with.
His good attributes (close control, good touch) are a bit more useful in midfield than they are in his position. I highly disagree about his dribbling and shooting. Most people in here would agree that he struggles to beat his man so what dribbling are you seeing? as for his shooting, he shoots the exact same way nearly all the time with awful consistency.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Again, Nani was rapid and could beat his man with ease. His issues were decision making and maybe consistency.
I wasn't suggesting he's the next Nani. But i do see parallels in terms of the decision making piece. Nani had a far better long range shot and was probably a bit more creative than Antony at this point (I think we got Nani at 19 IIRC, whereas Antony is already 23)

mu4c_20le

It's not a myth at all :lol: I've been at all our games this season bar about 6 and the level with him on and off the pitch is noticeable, regardless of whether he's having a particularly good game or not.
Silent domination. Our boys a jedi.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Hehe. The irony is strong with this one...
Call me old fashioned but I like my forward players to score and make goals.

Rashford's stats across his career with us are actually more than decent. He's had one really poor season as I said.

I'd sell all the other forwards we own before Rashford. Anyone without an agenda would agree.

Can't imagine any big clubs would even consider Sancho and Antony after this season were they made for sale. Plenty would take Rashford though.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
While I'm certainly not one of Antony's biggest critics, I don't like the regular comparison to Nani that he seems to get. Nani was always ridiculously talented, to the extent that when he did develop his consistency he was the best player in the league and main man while we won a title. His only issue was his inconsistency and IMO the fact that he spent most of his time here being played on his weaker side which played a big part in that inconsistency.

Antony doesn't have remotely the same type of pure natural talent. To be fair none of the attackers in our squad do (Martial perhaps could have with a stronger mentality and without the injuries). Hopefully he can develop and be a good solid player for us, but I don't see him ever reaching Nani's peak level.

FerociousCorgis

i still hope he can turn up a notch next season. Feel like you can see a player in there just needs refining. Hopefully can get a threat at RB going forward and def a top CF to really help him out.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
While I'm certainly not one of Antony's biggest critics, I don't like the regular comparison to Nani that he seems to get. Nani was always ridiculously talented, to the extent that when he did develop his consistency he was the best player in the league and main man while we won a title. His only issue was his inconsistency and IMO the fact that he spent most of his time here being played on his weaker side which played a big part in that inconsistency.

Antony doesn't have remotely the same type of pure natural talent. To be fair none of the attackers in our squad do (Martial perhaps could have with a stronger mentality and without the injuries). Hopefully he can develop and be a good solid player for us, but I don't see him ever reaching Nani's peak level.
I agree in general. Nani was definitely more talented. The reason I compared the two is they were both branded as "frustrating" in their early United careers. I see a lot of that same frustration in Antony. But yes, Nani at 19 or 20, was already more multi-faceted than Antony at 23.

Status
Not open for further replies.