Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Well to be fair if you are looking to sell players on the basis of winning titles then we better sell almost whole squad because I don't see winning any major trophies with these lot.
Oh I do agree unfortunately, but most of them are older than Antony and will gradually be replaced with time, whether we want it or not. With him, I feel like he will be same player when he is 27, if not worse, and he simply shouldn't be there by that time. I think we should be aspiring to sign and perservere only with players who have enough potential to be important part of title winning squads.

Mistakes will be made of course, Antony is one of them obviously, and it should be rectified by being ruthless. That ship may have sailed already though, I'm not sure anyone would want to sign him for half of money we invested.

Telsim

I actually think he looked bright for the first 30 minutes, but then slowly faded into nothingness. Just not good enough for this level. Gets shut down by defenders with incredible consistency, because he so predictable and limited. Watching wingers like Mitoma recently and Benrahma today, it was night and day. Would have been fine if he cost as much as Malacia. But for £85M it's a disaster.

Bondi77

He should maybe chase MMA career then, as balls and fight seems to be only atrribute he has.
Looking angry and throwing tantrums doesn't mean he can fight...probably shit himself if someone squared up to him

Malone_Post

Who are the left footed RWs comfortably better than Antony?
Dembele
Mahrez
Bernardo Silva
Phil Foden
Saka
Salah
Gnarby (is he played there?)
Based on output the following PL left footed right wingers have outperformed him this season on combined goals & assists…

Jarrod Bowen
Solly March
Kulusevski
Michael Olise
Leon Bailly
Jack Harrison
Dwight McNeil
Mbeumo
Buendía
Almiron

And that’s before we even start to look at players outside of the PL. They might not have been ‘comfortably’ better, but they have been better. He has been a monumental flop so far, of that there can be absolutely no question. He’s a complete meme amongst opposition supporters.

crossy1686

career ending
Based on output the following PL left footed right wingers have outperformed him this season on combined goals & assists…

Jarrod Bowen
Solly March
Kulusevski
Michael Olise
Leon Bailly
Jack Harrison
Dwight McNeil
Mbeumo
Buendía
Almiron

And that’s before we even start to look at players outside of the PL. They might not have been ‘comfortably’ better, but they have been better. He has been a monumental flop so far, of that there can be absolutely no question. He’s a complete meme amongst opposition supporters.
Hey man, the manager needs his 'own players' to be successful though. Plus another £700m...

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Feels like every game I watch this season has someone who I feel is better as a winger than this guy. There was a moment today when he was in midfield and was trying to play it out to Rashford eho was in acres of space on the left and his simple pass was 5 feet behind Rashford who had to stop & go back to take it. I wanted to break my tv

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm now officially starting the choreography of my I told you he's crap and a cnut dance. Just need a costume and a catchy song :nervous:

RunTheTrap

Supports
Arsenal
I got cooked for saying he's worse a signing than Koulibaly. I'm not even saying this to gloat, but I'm genuinely confused as to why people thought a winger from Holland should be worth a world record fee when he showed no outstanding qualities. I loathe this trend of PL teams throwing obscene money at players who do not play in a serious league. It sets a bad precedent because obscure clubs can ask for insane fees. It ruins the market for everyone because PL clubs are no longer willing to show restraint.

People tell me he is young and can still improve, but his skill set is not replicable in the Premier League. In nearly every game I have watched, the opposing winger looks more dangerous than him. Plus, what exactly is he going to improve with age? I mean, yes, he might improve on his decision-making, but he'll never improve on his ability to create separation from defenders.

PoTMS

The manager should not be allowed to make signings. Martinez is the only one who was a slam dunk success.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Terrible player. What a waste he and Sancho have been.

Matt851

Feels like every game I watch this season has someone who I feel is better as a winger than this guy. There was a moment today when he was in midfield and was trying to play it out to Rashford eho was in acres of space on the left and his simple pass was 5 feet behind Rashford who had to stop & go back to take it. I wanted to break my tv
Many teams have two better wingers. I actually think the fee has shielded him from criticism in some ways because people have assumed there must be more to come over time but there just isn't any evidence there is

The Ferociousness

Thought he worked hard, and was unlucky not to score, with the left curler and offered a threat on the flanks. Showed a good burst of pace on one occassion and whipped in a few decent crosses. Felt it was harsh to sub him off.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The major problem with these type of signings is the money. If Dan James and Malacia type signings don't work out you can easily move them on.

With Martial we have struggled to move him on and now with Maguire Sancho and Antony we will again. Nobody in their right mind would offer us anything like what we paid for any of them and i seriously doubt they'd match their wages too.

Our recruitment team is the worst in all of the elite clubs in world football. They are a shambles

Matt851

I got cooked for saying he's worse a signing than Koulibaly. I'm not even saying this to gloat, but I'm genuinely confused as to why people thought a winger from Holland should be worth a world record fee when he showed no outstanding qualities. I loathe this trend of PL teams throwing obscene money at players who do not play in a serious league. It sets a bad precedent because obscure clubs can ask for insane fees. It ruins the market for everyone because PL clubs are no longer willing to show restraint.

People tell me he is young and can still improve, but his skill set is not replicable in the Premier League. In nearly every game I have watched, the opposing winger looks more dangerous than him. Plus, what exactly is he going to improve with age? I mean, yes, he might improve on his decision-making, but he'll never improve on his ability to create separation from defenders.
The worst thing is he didn't even excel of Holland. His lack of goals and assists is predictable when looking at his record there

RedDevil250

Horrific signing. Really not sure what EtH saw with him. His YT video highlights became a bit of a meme but it's true that if they aren't that good, and the stats aren't good, why is he supposed to suddenly become great? Not even considering the fact he's a petulant child. Really frustrating we spent 80m on him when EtH should've known he was limited as a player. Really worrying signs for EtH that he signed him, plays Weghorst so much, and defends DDG so much.

Eddy_JukeZ

He's going to be the player synonymous with Ten Hag's reign, isn't he?

Like Maguire for Ole. Lukaku for Mourinho. Schweinsteiger for Van Gaal.

Just another example of why handing full authority to the manager on signings is a terrible move.

In Rainbows

Said it months ago, James speed alone makes him better.
Dan James was a much better player.
Dan James had a better debut season for us. It's actually embarrassing how bad he's been.
There's no way Dan James was better or more threatening. He had 4 goals and 7 assists in all competitions in his debut (about 3000 minutes). That's a similar threat level to Antony, while Antony is better in possession.

Even his speed was something he never really utilized. That was most of my frustration with him. He attempted almost half of what Sancho attempts to dribble, and like 2/3 of what Antony attempts in take ons. He was incredibly shy to even use his speed.

Antony being as threatening as Dan James is hilariously sad for us United fans. It's unbelievably shite.

He's playing in a shit team that barley goals, he'd take the piss in a team more progressive that allows him space in the final third.
The problem is what is he actually good at in attack? What are his moments of magic? The only weapon he has is that cut in curler. He lacks any sort of creativity with his skill set. He has the creativity of a goal scoring wide forward, but doesn't have the goal scoring ability of a wide forward. And that's being kind to him. Because although Rashford isn't all that great of a passer or all that creative, even Rashford is light years ahead in creativity. No through ball ability. Doesn't show any willingness to use 1-2s to create for himself or others in the final third. Hasn't shown any good crossing ability. Doesn't have a right foot. Doesn't have the imagination to try to create something for his teammates. So it's not a simple lack of execution.

Basically, in a more dominant side, he will get slightly better stats through attrition, but he'll be incredibly inefficient. The only charitable interpretation of his ability is that he has the raw ingredients (close control that he shows in middle third), and that he will start to use that in the final third, but that also assumes he'll have the imagination to go along with it.

Last edited:

El Jefe

I'm now officially starting the choreography of my I told you he's crap and a cnut dance. Just need a costume and a catchy song :nervous:
You really didn't lie you consistently said he wasn't good enough and called him a cnut of the highest order. I fear you might've even undersold it on both parts.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Just another example of why handing full authority to the manager on signings is a terrible move.
Bastian joined on a free transfer right ? Plus he had a great career prior to joining us.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

100% . Unless he improves from his temperamental one trick pony schtick, he will forever be a needless albatross around ETH's neck.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Is there any other organization in the world, footballing or otherwise, that will hire someone and instantly give them carte blanche to spend 100m+ however they desire?

It's beyond reckless. Pure lunacy really.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
To be honest I think he's showing more signs of his high potential lately. Shots aren't going in but he's getting in good positions, being more aggressive on the ball... Still frustrating as hell, but i think he's actually played pretty well for the most part despite our bad form.

Overpriced yes, but as a player, he does fit the direction we need to go in. Sign a quality striker and he'll get way more assists, though I don't think he's an ultra creative player anyway.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Is there any other organization in the world, footballing or otherwise, that will hire someone and instantly give them carte blanche to spend 100m+ however they desire?

I think United are a bit unique in this regard in that we are desperate for instant success following a decade of abject mediocrity, which is why ETH was armed with a robust budget from the get go.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
People act like english players are the only humans to be overpriced

Eddy_JukeZ

Bastian joined on a free transfer right ? Plus he had a great career prior to joining us.
Yes on both accounts, but he was a past it footballer managed by a past it manager.

When you think of 1 player to symbolize Van Gaal's time, he'd be at the very top.

Eddy_JukeZ

Nope. Ten Hag should have very minimal say on who gets brought in.

The club should for once decide what players are brought in.

Not even Liverpool gave Klopp carte blanche.

Gazza

If you're a left back up against Antony, you know the following before the game has even started
  • He won't run in behind you
  • He won't burn you for pace
  • He won't often take you down the touchline or get to the byline
  • He won't use his right foot
  • He'll get wound up if you bump him
He has one trick, which is coming in-field and shooting on his left foot. He doesn't seem to have good synergy with his teammates.

It's hard to be positive. It is a shame that we spent so much money on him but that's done now, what's worse is that he's unlikely to get dropped with that price tag and the ETH connection. The sort of signing that might set us back. I think I defended him earlier in this thread and suggested he was being treated harshly. I think he has been to some degree because he hasn't been that bad and he's actually contributed and seems to care, but there are realities about his game that are hard to ignore.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If you're a left back up against Antony, you know the following before the game has even started
He has one trick, which is coming in-field and shooting on his left foot. He doesn't seem to have good synergy with his teammates.

It's hard to be positive. It is a shame that we spent so much money on him but that's done now, what's worse is that he's unlikely to get dropped with that price tag and the ETH connection. The sort of signing that might set us back. I think I defended him earlier in this thread and suggested he was being treated harshly. I think he has been to some degree because he hasn't been that bad and he's actually contributed and seems to care, but there are realities about his game that are hard to ignore.
Fortunately he's still young and ETH and staff can start diversifying his game a bit to keep the opposition guessing more next year. It will also make him doubly effective by attacking in a variety of different ways, instead of the usual one.

Malkovich

He did a lot of those things today, honestly he was probably the best United player. If this is the reaction he gets, I wish the other 10 would get worse reactions.

Lyng

Fortunately he's still young and ETH and staff can start diversifying his game a bit to keep the opposition guessing more next year. It will also make him doubly effective by attacking in a variety of different ways, instead of the usual one.
Well he did work with him in Ajax as well, and this is still the exact same player. Yes he is young, but I am not sure he is the type of player that can change up his game.

mu4c_20le

He can become a little faster with his decision making which would hopefully benefit our link up play. Can't see him suddenly start dribbling people like Ronaldinho or become a passing wizard. And keepers will eventually adapt to his one shot, even if it's somewhat effective.

SlothIsLove

I thought only his right foot was weak, but apparently his left foot is not strong either. His shots / crosses don't seem to have much speed in them.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I’d try to recoup 30-35 million pounds this summer.

We have better RW’s back to our squad & he will be irrelevant for us next year.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I’d try to recoup 30-35 million pounds this summer.

We have better RW’s back to our squad & he will be irrelevant for us next year.
Having to write down his value would be a huge FFP hit to our already constrained transfer budget this summer though.

julianfr

Horrific signing. Really not sure what EtH saw with him. His YT video highlights became a bit of a meme but it's true that if they aren't that good, and the stats aren't good, why is he supposed to suddenly become great? Not even considering the fact he's a petulant child. Really frustrating we spent 80m on him when EtH should've known he was limited as a player. Really worrying signs for EtH that he signed him, plays Weghorst so much, and defends DDG so much.
Tbh no one really knows how good (or bad) someone will actually turn out until they're signed.

Who could he realistically play if not Weghorst? Martial? Please.

As for DDG we all know he needs replacing. But there's still some important matches to go. No use bashing him now when his confidence is already shot

Matt851

To be honest I think he's showing more signs of his high potential lately. Shots aren't going in but he's getting in good positions, being more aggressive on the ball... Still frustrating as hell, but i think he's actually played pretty well for the most part despite our bad form.

Overpriced yes, but as a player, he does fit the direction we need to go in. Sign a quality striker and he'll get way more assists, though I don't think he's an ultra creative player anyway.
If the direction we are going in is to be playing in the europa every year them you might be right

Son

Spending 90m on a winger from Holland is criminal. Premier League teams paying a premium because we can.

Awful business when Antony is basically Bernat at PSG. He’s the guy who’s defensive and just keeps the team in shape. Gives a little bit of width.

This was an instant of the manager overruling the club data I feel however. Completely on Ten Hag. He wanted him at any cost without looking at all the variables.

If you give Antony space for that shot of his it can work but in the Prem and CL teams know what to expect and have the speed to close him down easily.

Baneofthegame

It's depressing that we have spent 160 million on two wingers who apparently can't beat a man one on one.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

It makes me mad that if you watch Arsenal games you will realise how good Saka is at everything you mentioned. He is messing with the LB all the time by coming short & then randomly going behind him. Wish Antony was even 10% of the player Saka is

Status
Not open for further replies.