5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt851

Looks decent but yet to see anything that doesn't make me think we paid double what he was worth because were only looking at the Dutch league

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Antony has the highest ceiling on our team. A wonderfully balanced footballer with skills to match. Once Dalot learns to work with antony and make the overlapping runs he’ll be lethal.
This has to be Sancho, by a country mile. Most people here don't realize how good he was at 18-19, Antony has yet to show half of that level at 22.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
This has to be Sancho, by a country mile. Most people here don't realize how good he was at 18-19, Antony has yet to show half of that level at 22.
Sancho? I will have some of those drugs you're taking mate.

Sancho shouldn't even be in the starting 11 at the moment. He's been awful.

Abraxas

He looks miles better than Sancho in terms of threat and wanting to do something. It's all a bit one dimensional, but that dimension of cutting in and getting off good shots or tricky passes is pretty good and is working. It feels like there should be more to come but it's not a bad start.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Can we please stop with the he lacks pace argument? He clearly showed both solid top speed and great acceleration today.

He needs to run at his defenders more though - takes a little too long figuring out what to do at times.
Yeah, he’s very quick. Something that was most obvious when he was tracking back and absolutely rinsed their striker for pace. Something the chump on the opposite wing doesn’t ever seem willing or capable of doing.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Sancho? I will have some of those drugs you're taking mate.

Sancho shouldn't even be in the starting 11 at the moment. He's been awful.
We're not talking about his level at the moment, we're talking about ceiling. So Maybe some of you here tend to forget, after seing Antony dribble a couple of semi professional players from Cyprus, that he never even remotely grazed at 22 the level that Sancho had at 18. He was really special.

Mr PG

Antony is very quick. He needs his fullback making overlapping runs like Mazroui did for him at Ajax and you’ll see him go up a few gears.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We're not talking about his level at the moment, we're talking about ceiling. So Maybe some of you here tend to forget, after seing Antony dribble a couple of semi professional players from Cyprus, that he never even remotely grazed at 22 the level that Sancho had at 18. He was really special.
You're basing all that from Sancho in a crap league.

In the PL he's not even been average. Never been that great for England either.

Sancho isn't as good as his Dortmund form made him look. See Havertz and Werner at Chelsea for further proof.

As for Antony....I'm making no judgement on him yet. Way too soon.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
You're basing all that from Sancho in a crap league.

In the PL he's not even been average. Never been that great for England either.

Sancho isn't as good as his Dortmund form made him look. See Havertz and Werner at Chelsea for further proof.

As for Antony....I'm making no judgement on him yet. Way too soon.
And yet I see dozens of messages here praising his abilities since he dribbled past a couple of players from Nicosie. I guess that's what we call double standards.

Also, convenient to mention Havertz and Werner but not De Bruyne or Haaland.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
And yet I see dozens of messages here praising his abilities since he dribbled past a couple of players from Nicosie. I guess that's what we call double standards.

Also, convenient to mention Havertz and Werner but not De Bruyne or Haaland.
Bit of a stupid argument. Not every single player to play in the Bundesliga is rubbish. Never said that. Lewandowski isn't for example, obviously.

However you do have to take it into account. He doesn't look like he can even beat a man in England. Doesn't say much for Bundesliga defenders to me. Werner also couldn't hit a barn door for Chelsea but seems right at home in Leipzig. The league is poor.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Bit of a stupid argument. Not every single player to play in the Bundesliga is rubbish. Never said that. Lewandowski isn't for example, obviously.

However you do have to take it into account. He doesn't look like he can even beat a man in England. Doesn't say much for Bundesliga defenders to me. Werner also couldn't hit a barn door for Chelsea but seems right at home in Leipzig. The league is poor.
You gave exemples of players that didn't make it in the PL, I gave you exemples of players who did, I don't see how your argument is more a less valid than mine. Sometimes it's because players fail to adjust, sometimes it's because they looked better than they are, sometimes they need more time (like KdB), but you seemed pretty sure what it was for Sancho.

Anyway, my initial comment was about ceiling, and I took into account what Antony did in Eredivisie as well. Still, Sancho crushed him by any metric and showed more talent even with Antony playing for a more dominant side.

criticalanalysis

If we can get the striker running to the right when he cuts in it'll give the option of a quick pass through the defensive line into the feet of the striker on the right side while the keeper is moving to the left to defend the shot. He'll also open up space around him in the future because either the midfielders will have to cover the inside bit to take away the cut in, or the fullbacks will have to, leaving space out wide.
Not just that but we need more players taking the 'easy' attacking spaces where they should be arriving late at the back post or early at the front post. It's such a basic tactic that a team like Liverpool/City have on automatic where they get dozens of goals and lots of attacking opportunities.

Martial, Ronaldo, Sancho, Bruno, Dalot, Malacia, Shaw etc should be feasting on these types of crosses and plays once we get up to speed.

city-puma

I am a little bit surprised that he seems to adapt to the new environment pretty well in such a short time.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
You gave exemples of players that didn't make it in the PL, I gave you exemples of players who did, I don't see how your argument is more a less valid than mine. Sometimes it's because players fail to adjust, sometimes it's because they looked better than they are, sometimes they need more time (like KdB), but you seemed pretty sure what it was for Sancho.

Anyway, my initial comment was about ceiling, and I took into account what Antony did in Eredivisie as well. Still, Sancho crushed him by any metric and showed more talent even with Antony playing for a more dominant side.
You don't have to bring up the past, we've been seeing him for almost 2 years now. Also weird snarky comments towards Antony who's already scored against City and Arsenal who aren't from Cyprus

croadyman

Only slight frustration is haven't seen any of him going down the outside yet

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Looks promising and think he’ll become even better. However he needs to go on the outside a bit more. Is he just 1 footed? He’s gonna get found out and defenders are gonna get sent out just to stop him cutting in on his left foot. To predicable at the minute. Think he’ll score some crackers though from outside the box, his style a bit like coutinho.

MattofManchester

There was a video of a moment where he beat his defender repeatedly and constantly battled against him.

Watching that clip is fecking annoying. Not because of Antony. Because he forces a way to make space and not a single fecking player offers to help him or provide a passing option. Wtf is wrong with the players at this club?!

On the topic of Antony, he's very tenacious, and still adjusting to the new level, but no doubt he seems like he'll be a success.

JeffFromHK

The thing I like about him is his aggressiveness and bada**ness. This is something that all our other attackers lack (be it Sancho, Rashford, Ronaldo Martial, or even Elanga). He sprints at full speed to press, he is not worried about those body duels, and he doesn't mind doing a sliding tackle to avoid conceding a throw in or goal kick.

He needs to work on his right foot and his variety of play though. He will get found out if he keeps being a cut-in one trick.

suheilsworld

He does have a wicked left foot and it is glad to have a player who likes to take a shot from distance and with accuracy. Surely we are going to see a lot Robben-esque goals this season :drool:

flameinthesun

There was a video of a moment where he beat his defender repeatedly and constantly battled against him.

Watching that clip is fecking annoying. Not because of Antony. Because he forces a way to make space and not a single fecking player offers to help him or provide a passing option. Wtf is wrong with the players at this club?!

On the topic of Antony, he's very tenacious, and still adjusting to the new level, but no doubt he seems like he'll be a success.
Good observation. I don't know whether its the shape or the players but our wingers often end up isolated with no one helping them.

SER19

Easy to forget he's only 22. As starts go, its been decent, im sure he has much more to give but you've to allow for settling in for the first few games at least. Certainly offers more than sancho at the minute which is a shame

Matt851

Not really getting the excitement over his performances so far. For me he has looked a decent if predictable player who constantly wants to cut inside and lacking the ability to dribble past players. This might justify a £40m fee but the amount we paid for him continues to seem ridiculous

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

So why is his cieling the highest? He's been shocking. Like I said you're basing that on the Bundesliga. This league is not the same. It's much tougher.

Bestie07

He seems very intelligent with his decision making, almost always makes good decisions in terms of when to shoot, pass or cross, and does all of these at a very high level. He also puts in a shift defensively so this gives me hope that we finally have found someone who will be able to lock down the right wing position which has been a problem area for us for over a decade now.

What I hope to see more of from him is his ability to go past defenders when one on one, which I don't think we have seen enough of yet. I don't know if he even has it in him, will have to wait and find out. But really promising signs so far.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
€100m for a player more one-footed than ol' A. Valencia.
Not sure about that, he had a solid right footed shot early in the 2nd half the keeper did well to save.

Sure he might not use it often, but it's clear he can use it when needs be.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not really getting the excitement over his performances so far. For me he has looked a decent if predictable player who constantly wants to cut inside and lacking the ability to dribble past players. This might justify a £40m fee but the amount we paid for him continues to seem ridiculous
That's quite clearly not true, he's done it plenty of times at Ajax and for Brazil. He did manage to dribble the defender on the outside this game too.

right now he's playing within himself, he's clearly feeling like the new kid at school and just trying to do the 'right thing' and keep the ball moving, pass it to the big guns when available.

Every game though he's opening up, he's trying new things and being braver. Let's not forget this is only his 4th game so far.

I suspect once he feels settled into the side, the team will start to use him as the creative hub and he will feel more confident in taking somebody on using the ball in a more dangerous way.

I really like what I see from him so far though.

BarstoolProphet

Not blown away by his performances so far but really like him. He does the basics very well and is more skillful than I anticipated.

Real Name

Why do people want to be blown away or expect him to bang goals and assists galore to prove he's worth the fee. He's been settling fine, already playing like he's been at the club for years and most important thing is that he's getting better and better and starting to show what he has in his locker. Not everything needs to be with a bang.

UpWithRivers

He plays like a 40/50 mil player. No better than Raphina, Adeyemi, Diaz, Jota, Mane or a million other attacking players that went for 50 mil ish or less. And yes I judge him on his fee. Bite me. I want levels. Saying that, its early days. He's been a 6/10 so far. I expect more as the season progresses.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If he doesnt stop the next asteroid from hitting our planet hes not worth 100m.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
No support

Remember the geese

He plays like a 40/50 mil player. No better than Raphina, Adeyemi, Diaz, Jota, Mane or a million other attacking players that went for 50 mil ish or less. And yes I judge him on his fee. Bite me. I want levels. Saying that, its early days. He's been a 6/10 so far. I expect more as the season progresses.
No better than Mane? Oh no! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.