Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
No support

That's a fantastic piece of skill where he displays his quick feet and ability to beat the defender on the outside, something he's shown in the champions league for Ajax. But like you've mentioned in your post, there's no support and one has to ask the question why Dalot and the most advanced central attacker weren't in close proximity to him, either to provide the decoy option or the pass options in the shape of a rondo.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He plays like a 40/50 mil player. No better than Raphina, Adeyemi, Diaz, Jota, Mane or a million other attacking players that went for 50 mil Ish or less. And yes I judge him on his fee. Bite me. I want levels. Saying that, its early days. He's been a 6/10 so far. I expect more as the season progresses.
Seeing this club wastes so much money on so many different players and still the transfer fee matters to you in terms of evaluation of his level ?

UpWithRivers

It was widely acknowledged that we overpaid by £20-30m. It isn't Antony's fault. He's doing ok so far.
Seeing this club wastes so much money on so many different players and still the transfer fee matters to you in terms of evaluation of his level ?
Yes as I said I evaluate based on the price paid because I think its partly the players fault. Say I'm a programmer working for a small company and Google/Apple poaches me and triples my wages. I will be expected to be levels up when I work there. I cant just be average and say 'Oh its not my fault you pay me so much. Im not worth that much.' Same as any other profession. Same as when Ferdinand/Rooney etc walked in. They knew they had to prove they were worth it. If you dont think you are then dont take the job. This nonsense that its not his fault and we should allow players to be a lower standard is nonsense in my opinion. And not just him - Ten Haag and the rest of the staff should be judged as well. You only pay 80 for a young player from the Eredivisie because you think he is very special. So thats what I expect.

Remember the geese

Yes as I said I evaluate based on the price paid because I think its partly the players fault. Say I'm a programmer working for a small company and Google/Apple poaches me and triples my wages. I will be expected to be levels up when I work there. I cant just be average and say 'Oh its not my fault you pay me so much. Im not worth that much.' Same as any other profession. Same as when Ferdinand/Rooney etc walked in. They knew they had to prove they were worth it. If you dont think you are then dont take the job. This nonsense that its not his fault and we should allow players to be a lower standard is nonsense in my opinion. And not just him - Ten Haag and the rest of the staff should be judged as well. You pay 80 for a player because you think he is very special. So thats what I expect. If they think otherwise then I dont respect that at all.
The problem lies with you I'm afraid. Pretty unreasonable. Especially in this case where it is so soon into Antony's time at the club. Even more so when you see that the player has been contributing.

Trex

Yes as I said I evaluate based on the price paid because I think its partly the players fault. Say I'm a programmer working for a small company and Google/Apple poaches me and triples my wages. I will be expected to be levels up when I work there. I cant just be average and say 'Oh its not my fault you pay me so much. Im not worth that much.' Same as any other profession. Same as when Ferdinand/Rooney etc walked in. They knew they had to prove they were worth it. If you dont think you are then dont take the job. This nonsense that its not his fault and we should allow players to be a lower standard is nonsense in my opinion. And not just him - Ten Haag and the rest of the staff should be judged as well. You only pay 80 for a young player from the Eredivisie because you think he is very special. So thats what I expect.
I have no clue how you could be this critical about a new player who is adjusting to a new league, who has scored against the two strongest sides in the league so far, and who isn't lacking in effort.
Yes there is more than enough room for improvement but a fan should be excited by the early signs.
Please don't give him the Pogba treatment were he's judged by a higher standard to everyone else because of the price tag, else he'll never look good enough, so far as he meet the standard of what a united winger is then am good.
He doesn't need to be prime Messi.

UpWithRivers

The problem lies with you I'm afraid. Pretty unreasonable. Especially in this case where it is so soon into Antony's time at the club. Even more so when you see that the player has been contributing.
I have no clue how you could be this critical about a new player who is adjusting to a new league, who has scored against the two strongest sides in the league so far, and who isn't lacking in effort.
Yes there is more than enough room for improvement but a fan should be excited by the early signs.
Please don't give him the Pogba treatment were he's judged by a higher standard to everyone else because of the price tag, else he'll never look good enough, so far as he meet the standard of what a united winger is then am good.
He doesn't need to be prime Messi.
Why is this even a thing now? Is it an indication of how much our standards have dropped? When Sir Alex signed a player we expected levels above player to get anywhere near the first team and when we paid record fees we expecteed a really top player. Sure it never always worked out - Veron for example. But we expected him to be a special player? No? Or were people just saying 'We paid too much, lets just expect him to be at least Fletcher level?' Because I dont remember that.

And I never said he was sht i just said I expected levels higher.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
You're creating the condition to be frustrated without any room for anything else. Sit back and hope for the best, this ain't your personal money spent on them. If the company you work for is stupid enough to over pay you it's something different than the employee doing his best and falling short.
You mentioned SAF in another post, it's high time to realize that we're way past that, we've had much more bad transfers than good ones considering the fees in question

Remember the geese

Why is this even a thing now? Is it an indication of how much our standards have dropped? When Sir Alex signed a player we expected levels above player to get anywhere near the first team and when we paid record fees we expecteed a really top player. Sure it never always worked out - Veron for example. But we expected him to be a special player? No? Or were people just saying 'We paid too much, lets just expect him to be at least Fletcher level?' Because I dont remember that.

You're argument about Antony's price is illogical. What was the kid supposed to say?

"Oh I'd love to sign for you, but not for that fee, nor on those wages because I'm simply not capable of performing to some arbitrary level that UpWithRivers from Redcafe expects of me. If you could agree a lower fee with Ajax and offer me less money, then fantastic!".

Antony is new to the club and is contributing already. This criticism is incredibly premature.

MattofManchester

If he doesnt stop the next asteroid from hitting our planet hes not worth 100m.
Nah, mate next asteroid is too far away.

If he doesn't find a cure for cancer in the next two weeks, I'm done. I've had it! An absolute garbage signing.
If you can't do the basics, why tf did we pay 100m?!

Strootman's Finger

He's been here a month, calm down.

jem

He plays like a 40/50 mil player. No better than Raphina, Adeyemi, Diaz, Jota, Mane or a million other attacking players that went for 50 mil ish or less. And yes I judge him on his fee. Bite me. I want levels. Saying that, its early days. He's been a 6/10 so far. I expect more as the season progresses.
What's with this annoying obsession football fans have with the word 'levels' nowadays? And if Antony turns out to be as good as Mane, he'll be worth every cent. Grow up.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I mean he clearly has special talent, so it's about waiting and giving him time to grow and fill his potential, no?

jackal&hyde

He is one of the most talented players in the World IMO. A work in progress but a World Class footballer guaranteed.

dal

Don't care about his fee, people are saying we paid £20 million to much, we were desperate hence why it cost so much, he looks our best winger so I'm happy.

It's the same for Sancho, I'm not looking at his fee I'm looking at the player and right now he doesn't look like a Manchester United starting winger, neither does Rashford in all honesty but he's the best of the two.

I'd easily sell Sancho for £40 million and buy a left sided replica of Antony for £80 million. All we would need then is a striker and we could compete, I know our midfield and defence isn't great especially with Varane out but I still think we could compete.

jackal&hyde

You have a short memory. We paid record fees for players like Rio and he did not instantly become the best. It took a bit of time actually.

Your previous example of Apple, etc getting a new person in is also poor. Big companies actually expect a time for getting used to the work flow and environment. The first 2 months at Siemens in Germany for a new engineer are almost all about travailing Germany, knowing the culture, etc. Only cretin companies expect a new person to be perfect from the start.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He plays like a 40/50 mil player. No better than Raphina, Adeyemi, Diaz, Jota, Mane or a million other attacking players that went for 50 mil ish or less. And yes I judge him on his fee. Bite me. I want levels. Saying that, its early days. He's been a 6/10 so far. I expect more as the season progresses.
You've just listed some of the best attacking players on the planet and wonder why he's not blowing them out of the water? I mean seriously?

He's 2 in 2 in the PL scoring against Arsenal and City ffs :lol:

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I like what I've seen he will only get better too. Make or break for Sancho soon and it's not looking great is it?

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Scandalous that there isn't a united shirt within 20 yards of him.
It sure is. This is what Antony is incredibly good at, drawing 2/3 defenders with him and creating space for the others. He literally has 0 backup in the clip, kind of insane to see.

evil_geko

That is your problem that you expected much higher level just because of price, that is narrowminded thinking without context, let me give you context, you said he is 40-50mil player, guess what, he is at the moment, we should have paid something around 60mil when we first came in for him earlier in summer, then the context comes in where we went for him literally last minute before transfer window closes where Ajax has no replacement for him, so because of that, you have to overpay a lot to force the transfer, has NOTHING to do with players ability, you see? Context. Not just blindly looking at numbers and moaning how player hasn't reached your personal expectations. Has nothing to do with "dropped standards", just common sense.

Bloody hell.

UpWithRivers

That is your problem that you expected much higher level just because of price, that is narrowminded thinking without context, let me give you context, you said he is 40-50mil player, guess what, he is at the moment, we should have paid something around 60mil when we first came in for him earlier in summer, then the context comes in where we went for him literally last minute before transfer window closes where Ajax has no replacement for him, so because of that, you have to overpay a lot to force the transfer, has NOTHING to do with players ability, you see? Context. Not just blindly looking at numbers and moaning how player hasn't reached your personal expectations. Has nothing to do with "dropped standards", just common sense.

Bloody hell.
Nonsense. Only Man Utd fans of the current era think like this. Was Neymar expected to be world class for the fee? Mbappe? Ronaldo? Or was it well we are paying loads but dont expect that much? Name me a top transfer that the fee never set expectations?

Or look at this way. Do you think Ten Haag who obviously knows exactly what Antonys level is, do you think he said. 'Oh I know he's a 50 mill player. Maybe he will reach Zaha level player.' Or did he say 'Just get him he's going to be top level'? If you think Ten Haag said that then you think he's an idiot. Ten Haag is expecting big things from him and pushing him to up levels. He expects more surely.

Again I have not said anywhere that he's sht or he's not doing ok. I said I expect more. Go bloody hell that if you want and live in mediocracy

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Nonsense. Only Man Utd fans of the current era think like this. Was Neymar expected to be world class for the fee? Mbappe? Ronaldo? Or was it well we are paying loads but dont expect that much? Name me a top transfer that the fee never set expectations?

Or look at this way. Do you think Ten Haag who obviously knows exactly what Antonys level is, do you think he said. 'Oh I know he's a 50 mill player. Maybe he will reach Zaha level player.' Or did he say 'Just get him he's going to be top level'? If you think Ten Haag said that then you think he's an idiot. Ten Haag is expecting big things from him and pushing him to up levels. He expects more surely.

Again I have not said anywhere that he's sht or he's not doing ok. I said I expect more. Go bloody hell that if you want and live in mediocracy
You’re being called out because choosing to change your expectations based on someone costing 70m vs 40/50m is stupid. Those are all very high transfers fees that all carry high expectations. But there are loads of factors that can cause a fee to be at either end of that range which have nothing to do with the quality of the player.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Love hearing our ex players opinions on all things modern. Just because he doesn’t play like prime Giggs or Kanchelskis Scholesy isn’t too sure about him.

evil_geko

Love hearing our ex players opinions on all things modern. Just because he doesn’t play like prime Giggs or Kanchelskis Scholesy isn’t too sure about him.
You mean what wingers do in general Paul? Ok then.

jem

Also a bit rich Scholes going in hard on Antony but making excuses for Sancho (especially after a game in which Sancho made one of the most egregiously stupid full-back pass-backs you’ll ever see.)

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Did he say the same about Robben?

jem

I don’t get the criticism to be honest - he’s been thrown right and already has two goals to his name (granted they were tap-ins but still…)

Status
Not open for further replies.