Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Still early days, but for the money we paid for him you would expect him to show more than he has.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Antony hasn't been at the races since he returned from Qatar. Amad will be watching and thinking he could offer more.

lsd

The Oracle
Played well I thought defended really well as well which is probably why he started on the pitch instead of Garnacho.

Still finding his feet as an attacking force but I've no worries about him

mu4c_20le

Not too bothered, every manager post SAF has had a big bust. Just goes in line with the trend

Golden Nugget

His final ball was pretty awful but his work rate and discipline in helping his fullback was impressive.

People writing him off after a few games in a new league are tools
Came to say this. First half wasn’t great - second half, outside of the cross to Shaw, wasnt great either; however his defensive work and his willingness to track back was great. I count at least twice he came back to tackle or cut out a pass that couldn’t have led to a dangerous situation had he not tracked back

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'll say one thing, he's a seriously hard worker even when things aren't going well for him. Doesn't put his head down and sulk, just gets on with it and gives his all. It's not a high bar but holy shit, it's more than we've gotten from a lot of our forwards in the last few years. Let's hope he can build on it.

A-man

Yes he would because the right hand side of our attack doesn't exist if he doesn't play. Which is what we saw in the games he was injured for.
You still need to bench players who play poorly, imo.

Mike Smalling

He had a good start, but he is beginning to look a bit one-note to me. He needs to work on his decision making. When to go inside vs. outside, when to pass, when to shoot, etc. He has great technical ability and pace, so I think we will turn out fine, but performances have not been great lately.

Frank White

Did seem like he gave away the ball a lot from unforced errors especially in the 1st half hopefully steps up a few more gears because he's not showed much these past few games.

BarryWinks

Better today than the last time out, especially defensively. Always made himself available to support AWB and provide some width whenever we switched play.

Still not enough overall and you'd expect more, but if this becomes his bad/average game then we might be in good shape going forward as I expect him to grow as a player over the next few years.

Dannn411

He should switch wings and use his left foot to whip in crosses from the outside. That's his best chance of being effective in this team and this league. He's basically short one right now going forward because everyone and their mom knows where he's going and what he's going to do.

redshaw

Said when he first signed it's half about being a trusted played of ETH, hard working and strong mentality the manager can rely on straight away, which can also rub off on other players, I'm sure it has. We're much better with him but I do think he'll be more effective once we get a better understanding as a team. I could tell from his time at Ajax, when he does get free it's a struggle for him to remain ahead, he just about held on many times, against stronger and faster defenders he's not going to be able to get free easily or hold them off once he does. Being a little less isolated will help, as it would with Sancho.

I wouldn't get too up in arms over the fee, we overpaid but at the same time ETH needed a strong minded player and a very solid option for the right side. I'm sure he'll adapt and improve. he did get into good positions today as well as helping out the team.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Thought he worked really hard, could have scored with that header just before half time. He'll come good that's for sure.

SAFMUTD

He's working, he'll eventually be fine. At the moment he needs to get his confidence back, many weak shots and missplaced last passes but the rest of the game is there. You can see the quality, he'll eventually come around.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
He should switch wings and use his left foot to whip in crosses from the outside. That's his best chance of being effective in this team and this league. He's basically short one right now going forward because everyone and their mom knows where he's going and what he's going to do.
I'm not sure that taking the only natural right winger we have, and sticking him on the left wing where we have about 4 players and playing like it's 1997 is quite the thing to do.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He needs to get his end product in order, but you can clearly see how much better we are with him out on the right.
Hardly has a great deal of competition for his spot though.
He's average and his competitors for the right wing spot are remarkably worse.

Glorio

We needed his combativeness today - that was the one positive. He needs to become a lot more direct and decisive with the ball though

Dannn411

I'm not sure that taking the only natural right winger we have, and sticking him on the left wing where we have about 4 players and playing like it's 1997 is quite the thing to do.
Well he's non-existent on the right wing. Could do worse than switching him over and seeing if he has a better time of it there.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
His short passing and interplay is good… his crossing is surprisingly shit for a winger. Needs to start racking up some assists if you ask me

Himannv

I like the defensive work he puts in, it's the attacking part of his game that needs work.

I feel like he's still fine-tuning his game at the moment and adjusting to the league. He tried to beat his man a few times today and didn't quite manage it because he's not set up for it yet. He hasn't fully come to terms with the directness of this league and the comparative lack of space to excel. He has all the skills to do it, he just needs the experience to decide what he wants to do a bit earlier and execute it with more purpose and pace. I reckon he'll come good once ETH manages to get him going but it looks like he'll need some time to fully unlock that potential.

Marwood

I didn't like how he bottled the 50/50 with the keeper after the Garnacho chance.

But he needs time.

And a right foot.

InfiniteBoredom

People just need to adjust their expectations with him, hes not going to bang in 20 goals a season, not for a while at least. What he is offering us at the moment is ball retention on that right side and switches of play to open up spaces elsewhere, and the driver on that side is the right back. With time and better understanding with his teammates, he should start racking up more assists, but dont expect him to burn people with pace and side foot it in.

Skills

Snitch
People just need to adjust their expectations with him, hes not going to bang in 20 goals a season, not for a while at least. What he is offering us at the moment is ball retention on that right side and switches of play to open up spaces elsewhere, and the driver on that side is the right back. With time and better understanding with his teammates, he should start racking up more assists, but dont expect him to burn people with pace and side foot it in.
So we're basically going to have to carry him in our attack.

CM

It's not quite clicking for him in the final third but I think Antony provides enough balance and is good enough in possession that it isn't a huge issue right now. He's getting in the right areas at least, but he does need to get sharper in front of goal.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I'd say the back two and Casemiro carried the team today as the forward players, all round, were bobbins until Marcus saved the day...again.

nazanto

The only positive thing I can see in him is that, we might finally have replacement of Antonio Valencia in Antony.

InfiniteBoredom

So we're basically going to have to carry him in our attack.
It’s not about carrying, it’s about contributing to the team for the best result. One of our most persistent issues for years is being weak defensively against the press, very often from forwards losing the ball high up the pitch. Antony doesn’t lose the ball cheaply (well unless he fires a weak shot at their GK), and that helps sustaining the pressure.

He needs to improve his final ball, that’s plain for all to see, but the point is he’s most likely never going to be a prolific, high scoring wide forward, and people need to make peace with that.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Got better later in the game but my word he was awful at times.

kidbob

Thought he was okay today. I think the real problem is that our season hinges a lot on him, Martial and Sancho finding their best form. If the other 2 were at their best he's have more lenience in terms of output but at the minute none of them are flying and its stopping us from winning these games much more comfortably. Hes a young guy new to the league so I expect him to improve a lot with time, hopefully for us we'll see some of it this season.

bringbackbebe

It's quite amazing how he manages to drift into wide open space for players to pass to him. Must have happened 15 times during the game. Just needs to work on his end product.

Status
Not open for further replies.