5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

lost7

He had a good game even without considering the goal tbh. First game in a while where I have no complaints against him, hopefully he scores another banger against City (this time one that will matter more!)

Shai-Hulud

£80 million, one -footed, blah, blah.

There is merit to some of the concerns regarding Antony. He is one-footed, he does make the odd poor decision in the final third. But what he is, is a presence. His role in this team is massive. That right hand side is stretched as far as humanly possible and Dalot is getting a shitload of space.

I like Antony. He gets stuck in, tracks back, maintains shape, and is chipping in with numbers.

Like Nani, he’ll be like a litmus test for the resident halfwit.
Nani had a lot more quality.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Receive ball. Stop it. Take 5 touches. Roll foot over top of the ball 1 yard. Pass back to defender. Repeat.

Still sticking to my guns of saying he needs a full season before we can judge but my word he is testing my patience. He's not really that good at anything is he? Demari Gray looks a better winger and would have actually improved us tonight in my opinion. Says it all.

We need a world class director of football and quick.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
You've heard of deceptively fast.

Antony has introduced everyone to deceptively slow. He's small so he's pumping his little legs fast to run, except he doesn't go very fast at all.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He had a good game even without considering the goal tbh. First game in a while where I have no complaints against him, hopefully he scores another banger against City (this time one that will matter more!)
You can't have watched the same game as I did. What did he do other than a tap in which nobody could miss? We didn't create anything down the right all game long.

Glorio

Someone made a very apt observation that he seems a very good dribbler when going away from the goal :lol:

When he's facing the goal and you expect him to take on a full back, he doesn't seem very confident

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Chased down the final ball and got the goal. If GK blooper didn't happen, this could be 4:0 with some chances of Antony scoring more.

Play him vs Charlton, see if he can bang some more. If he won't click, then Garnacho or Sancho could take his place. Simple.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Nah.

He and Bruno have their progress halted as soon as they are confronted with an actual opponent. I’m still holding out hope as I liked what I saw from him before he joined, but having one player in our front 4/5 who can actually go past someone is not enough.

While effort is to be appreciated, our attacking players are more effort than quality at present.

Malone_Post

His absolute point blank refusal to ever go at or take a full back on is absolutely infuriating. Varane on the wing beat the defender more then Antony did all night. He clearly has talent and technique, and shows glimpses of it. But he needs to do more. He looks like he’s playing with the handbrake on. Our right wing just seems cursed.

The Nani comparisons/references are ridiculous. They’re nothing a like as players.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He's more like Mata than Nani for his preference to go backwards every time he gets the ball.

Adamsk7

I think people need to chill a bit with him. We all know he’s not a £100m player at the moment so let’s not judge him by what the club decided to do to get him. It’s his first season, he’s still contributing with goals and he’s excellent at tracking back and good against the press. The attacking threat will come as I’m convinced he has all the attributes. We forget he’s also only 22. Ten Hag obviously thinks he can develop him into a top player and I trust Erik.

Kag

You can't have watched the same game as I did. What did he do other than a tap in which nobody could miss? We didn't create anything down the right all game long.
Significantly more football goes through our right flank when Antony is in the team and this was the case tonight.

Somebody more clever than I will have one of those daft heat maps to prove my point, I’m sure.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Makes the team more balanced and better as a result of that. Needs to show more individually though, we isolate him for a reason on that side. Tbf that requires a lot more overlaps from Dalot as well.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think people need to chill a bit with him. We all know he’s not a £100m player at the moment so let’s not judge him by what the club decided to do to get him. It’s his first season, he’s still contributing with goals and he’s excellent at tracking back and good against the press. The attacking threat will come as I’m convinced he has all the attributes. We forget he’s also only 22. Ten Hag obviously thinks he can develop him into a top player and I trust Erik.
Yeah he’s an £84m player.

Real Name

Let's say you work a mon - fri job and have a 2 week vacation coming up next week, and on the wednesday before you wake up sick, you call into work. Thursday morning you're feeling similar, and call in again. Friday you get up and you feel much better, but you've been sick the last couple days and everyone knows it, do you go back to work that friday, because you know you can go in and do your job, or do you just dial in again, because why would you go back for one shift, instead of just staying off till the end of your vacation, at which point no ones really going to remember or question how sick you were that friday?

Footballers are people, football is a job. Maybe you wouldn't be the person above, but I know a lot of those people and I guarantee you there are footballers who are those people.

I'm done with this conversation, I'm a huge fan of Antony, probably was before you ever heard of him. I am over what happened, but I am smart enough to realize what happened.
Good you're done, you're going nowhere with this. Cheers.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Receive ball. Stop it. Take 5 touches. Roll foot over top of the ball 1 yard. Pass back to defender. Repeat.

Still sticking to my guns of saying he needs a full season before we can judge but my word he is testing my patience. He's not really that good at anything is he? Demari Gray looks a better winger and would have actually improved us tonight in my opinion. Says it all.

We need a world class director of football and quick.
That's where I'm at tbh

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Significantly more football goes through our right flank when Antony is in the team and this was the case tonight.

Somebody more clever than I will have one of those daft heat maps to prove my point, I’m sure.
He saw plenty of the ball but there wasn't a single final ball from either him or Dalot all game long.

He got a tap in which will hopefully help his confidence a bit but it wasn't a good performance once again and people are rightly saying it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
My main take-away from his time here so far is that even when he isn't particularly good (and so far he mostly hasn't been particularly good) we're still very clearly much better balanced and better functioning with him in the team.

Kag

He saw plenty of the ball but there wasn't a single final ball from either him or Dalot all game long.

He got a tap in which will hopefully help his confidence a bit but it wasn't a good performance once again and people are rightly saying it.
He scored and the entire flank was dangerous all game. I thought he played well.

Real Name

I've never seen player been so unwelcomed as him. Crazy.

Weather its the price, the player himself or something else some made a decision oh him and won't back out.

Kag

My main take-away from his time here so far is that even when he isn't particularly good (and so far he mostly hasn't been particularly good) we're still very clearly much better balanced and better functioning with him in the team.
This is where I am. I also think this might be why he’s actually quite good.

El Jefe

£80 million, one -footed, blah, blah.

There is merit to some of the concerns regarding Antony. He is one-footed, he does make the odd poor decision in the final third. But what he is, is a presence. His role in this team is massive. That right hand side is stretched as far as humanly possible and Dalot is getting a shitload of space.

I like Antony. He gets stuck in, tracks back, maintains shape, and is chipping in with numbers.

Like Nani, he’ll be like a litmus test for the resident halfwit.
You don't half think much of yourself do you? :lol:

The limitations in his game are clear for all to see, pretending they don't exist doesn't make yourself a better poster or fan. Yes, Antony from a tactical perspective keeps the shape of the team and he's very good off the ball but that should never be the best qualities of a Manchester United winger.

So many of his attacking qualities are far off where they need to be for a wide player at this level. He may develop those with time but we can only comment on what we can see and so far his offensive skillset is fairly limited.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He scored and the entire flank was dangerous all game. I thought he played well.
He did score. Credit to him for being there but it wasn't a difficult chance. He slid the ball in from 5 yards out with an open goal. Great play from Rashy again.

He didn't play well. Him, Bruno n Martial were all quite poor for me. Rashford carrying us at the moment.

Dempsey19

Extremely underwhelmed by him and find him abit meh tbh. If he played for Liverpool there be a thread for him with all sorts of names and funny comparisons.

I hope he comes good though.

Kag

You don't half think much of yourself do you? :lol:

The limitations in his game are clear for all to see, pretending they don't exist doesn't make yourself a better poster or fan. Yes, Antony from a tactical perspective keeps the shape of the team and he's very good off the ball but that should never be the best qualities of a Manchester United winger.

So many of his attacking qualities are far off where they need to be for a wide player at this level. He may develop those with time but we can only comment on what we can see and so far his offensive skillset is fairly limited.
Read what I said; I didn’t. I said that there is merit to the concerns. I also intimated that there will be people who fail to acknowledge the clear and obvious upsides for the team when he plays and that they would fall in line with your typical halfwit. I’m right there, too. I wouldn’t get too offended by that.

CM

Agreed. He needs to become sharper with his decision making in the final third but his overall game isn't bad at all. He gets some nice touches and creates spaces for others around him so even if he's not quite at the level you might hope, it's not to the detriment of the team.

If it's not translating into goals or assists at the same point next season, I might be a little concerned, but for a young player in a new league he's doing okay. We've seen far worse over the last decade and if not for the huge fee I don't think he'd get nearly the same amount of attention or criticism.

Steven7290

Extremely underwhelmed by him and find him abit meh tbh. If he played for Liverpool there be a thread for him with all sorts of names and funny comparisons.

I hope he comes good though.
This is how i feel as well. Theres something inconsistent about his ball control and dribbling, which is what he was supposed to be good at that make me worried.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
It's still very early days. He is at least getting goals but he definitely needs to impose himself more on games. Apparently Ten Hag has him working on his right foot, which will be important. Has he even played twenty games yet? He's young and learning, and has both the ability and temperament.

Status
Not open for further replies.