Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
He may well outgrow where he currently stands, but to me he looks very underwhelming, obviously from the same cut of Brazilians like Raphinha and Richarlison. I expected more.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
I've never seen player been so unwelcomed as him. Crazy.

Weather its the price, the player himself or something else some made a decision oh him and won't back out.
I've defended him a lot but the criticism is justified. That said I believe ETH will still get the best out of him. Some people won't accept it if a 100m player needs time to settle and develop and I get that but it's just a reality we need to accept. I still believe in him and think he has big potential.

Telsim

The more expensive Sancho. Receive the ball - pretend to do something with it - pass back. Sometimes score the odd goal. Well, at least he is better defensively, probably the difference in the fee. Not impressed, to say the least.

I admit I have a bit of an egg on my face. While I argued vehemently against his purchase at €100M, I still thought he'd be worth around €70M. Right now, I wouldn't pay more than €40M, to be used as backup.

Marcelinho87

Needs to believe in his ability, he can take on defenders but is refusing to do so right now opting to pass back... It has to be a confidence thing.

SAF is the GOAT

Happy for him for the goal today to give him some confidence but unfortunately its still doesn't enough for me.

What's works in the dutch league with all those tricks and finesse shots won't work in the PL. He needs to get a lot better than this.

DevTheRed

I feel like people are being a tad over critical of him. You just can’t hold the price against him.. we all know he isn’t an £80m player but the manager wanted him and we overpaid because of that.

He’s only 22, playing in a faster and more competitive league, in a new country.. I think he’s doing just fine and trust Ten Hag’s judgement on him.

Hopefully when Jadon comes back it’ll add some friendly competition and give them both a boost.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
How can we expect to come even close to full-filling that price tag when he's ridiculously one footed? Defenders will figure him out soon, if some haven't already. There was one instance where he tried to pass/cross with the wrong foot because he's so one footed and gave away the ball. Valencia was one footed too, but he was so strong and quick that it was nightmare to defend, Anthony won't beat defenders with his pace.

I trust ETH, but managers can get things wrong and I would not be shocked if we are in back for a right-winger come summer if the new owners are rich enough to fund it.

footballbite

He seems incapable of completing a pass which is longer than even 5 metres, and he often turns down the opportunity to even try it when there's a player calling for it.

Even then, he often under-hits the short passes he does make.

His pass map would look horrendous.

Combined with his lack of running forward with the ball and yeah he's a bit underwhelming still.

He occupies the space of a right-winger, sure, but he'll need to start bringing more to the table over the next season or two or else people will be getting itchy for him to be upgraded. He needs to get quicker, stronger, braver.

Last edited:

pacifictheme

I am happy to give him time. He's scoring some useful goals, is new to the league with a big price tag. We have sancho to come back too.

Disagree with people saying he had a good game but he was OK at times. Definitely feels easy to defend against at the moment but he is young.

Sylar

He’s a really weird player. He plays so… unconventionally? He’s so agile and nimble, but he’s constantly slipping and his balance is iffy. He’s fast, but he’s not massively explosive. He’s quite clearly got a repertoire of skills but he doesn’t seem to want to isolate defenders 1v1.

Confuses me because there’s a lot to like about him, but then also you’re a bit like, will he end up being worth what we paid?
I know what you mean. I think we would be happier if we paid 30 or 40m for him

He defo brings balance to our team. But for what we got, we defo want more from a winger. The bizarre thing is what you said, how he doesn't want to even attempt to take on a defender one on one.

And it seems like he slows down our counters and would prefer to do that then try something to get another person free.

It's like we have a winger who will score the occasional goal, who presses well but can't take somebody on or produce quality crosses

glasgow 21

How can we expect to come even close to full-filling that price tag when he's ridiculously one footed? Defenders will figure him out soon, if some haven't already. There was one instance where he tried to pass/cross with the wrong foot because he's so one footed and gave away the ball. Valencia was one footed too, but he was so strong and quick that it was nightmare to defend, Anthony won't beat defenders with his pace.

I trust ETH, but managers can get things wrong and I would not be shocked if we are in back for a right-winger come summer if the new owners are rich enough to fund it.
He isn't totally one footed played an accurate a 20 yard pass to feet with his right tonight. Your also missing the point here, Ten hag requires a certain ethic. Antony has it, he is always tracking back to help out and regularly checks back on the position of his defence when receiving the ball. Everton very rarely achieved advantage on his side in attack. He is still young and developing as is Malacia who looks a bit of a bargain. Finally, Ten hag likes him and that's good enough for me.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
The team clearly looks much better with him on the right, he brings balance and helps to progress the play. That said I do not like wingers who are useless in counter attack and that's the danger with Antony, he is a bit slow and always seems to be running away from goal.

He's very good at keeping the ball and stretching the play, but it makes me wonder if Sancho couldn't do the same? They both look equally slow to take on defender.

Not giving up on either of them but not convinced either.

Edit: he's probably lucky Garnacho isn't left footed.

Last edited:

Dominos

It's still very early days. He is at least getting goals but he definitely needs to impose himself more on games. Apparently Ten Hag has him working on his right foot, which will be important. Has he even played twenty games yet? He's young and learning, and has both the ability and temperament.
The issue is, you don't even need a good weak foot to go on the outside.

Rashford doesn't have a good left foot at all, but he proved tonight if you go down the outside and play the ball across the 6 yard box then you'll create chances for your team.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
he’s definitely more of a playmaker than a winger. He doesn’t want to run at people but instead look to play quick 1-2 passes, or look for a forward run.

The team just need to get used to him really. Dalot and him were completely on a different page today.

I do see enough in him to be patient though. His defensive work especially is really impressive.

I’m sure ETH and the coaches will help him.

El Jefe

We can't be hypocrites. We mock the scouse cnuts for saying Nunez will come good and even if he does it doesn't take away the fact that he looks like a terrible bit of business so far.

Same with Antony IMO, I can only imagine what this thread would look like if he played for one of our rivals and cost this amount.

I'm used to three profiles of wide players at top teams
1. The fast goalscoring forward - Son, Pedro, Sterling
2. The playmaker that uses less speed but dribbles and passes - Bernardo Silva, Kvaratskhelia, Sancho (Bvb version)
3. The hybrid of 1 and 2 - Neymar, Messi

I have no idea where Antony fits within this. Isn't particularly fast or a good finisher. He also hardly creates goalscoring opportunities. It's a head scratcher at the moment but hopefully he comes into his own and shows his full skillset because if this is all there is, we're in trouble.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I wonder if we’re all expecting a different player to who he really is? His pass completion tonight was 89%. He had a tonne of touches, won tackles and always helped out his fullback defensively. Everton basically created nothing down our right side.

Teams don’t have to be symmetrical. We’ve had a lot of success with a “defensive winger” like Park or Valencia locking down one flank, while we mainly create elsewhere. This might be what he was signed to do. The occasional flashy trick and the wild boy vibes could be misleading us all.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I wonder if we’re all expecting a different player to who he really is? His pass completion tonight was 89%. He had a tonne of touches, won tackles and always helped out his fullback defensively. Everton basically created nothing down our right side.
0 long ball attempted, 0 deep ball attempted, 1 key pass.

I do agree he has a big role in the team's balance though.

Marwood

Decision making is his problem at the moment. Doing the wrong things at the wrong time.

Marwood

Teams don’t have to be symmetrical. We’ve had a lot of success with a “defensive winger” like Park or Valencia locking down one flank, while we mainly create elsewhere. This might be what he was signed to do. The occasional flashy trick and the wild boy vibes could be misleading us all.
You don't pay what we did for a defensive winger. I'm sure the manager is expecting more.

BarryWinks

My main take-away from his time here so far is that even when he isn't particularly good (and so far he mostly hasn't been particularly good) we're still very clearly much better balanced and better functioning with him in the team.
This is where I stand with him as well. He's not worth whatever we paid, and he probably will never be as good as some pretend he is. BUT he's the best we have on that right wing - partly because Sancho and Rashford cannot seem to play from there for some reason, Elanga is Elanga, and Garnacho is better off developing on the left.

If MG hadn't gone the way he did, I'd have backed him to relegate Anthony to the bench. Oh well.

Hope I'm wrong about his quality though. We really cannot afford another sunk cost.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
We’ve had a lot of success with a “defensive winger” like Park or Valencia locking down one flank
He’s certainly got the whole “having to turn completely around in a circle to use his other foot” thing going for him… Though tbf, at least Valencia was playing on the side of the pitch that didn’t make that hugely counterproductive for a right winger.

Tbf, I think he’s mostly fine at a lot of things. But that thing, is a very frustrating thing.

Also 4 goals in 9 starts is… good actually?

Last edited:

arnie_ni

We had a counter one time and the defender was catching him, but instead of taking the ball forward and across the defenders path which 9 times out of 10 results in a foul, he turned out and back. Seems to retreat to often instead of just driving on. Maybe lacking confidence

arnie_ni

Someone made a very apt observation that he seems a very good dribbler when going away from the goal :lol:

When he's facing the goal and you expect him to take on a full back, he doesn't seem very confident
in our own 3rd, I'd comfortably pass him the ball even if he's man marked back to goal. He never seems to lose it. Remarkably press resistant in that regard. But agreed,.one v one face up he doesn't seem.to fancy it for some reason.

rooney2009

I think he needs to be given time
He just seem to have no confidence taking a mine on and driving in to the box
He is scared of making a mistake but I’m 100% sure he will be a huge success here

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Think people are expecting a different player here probably due to the youtube videos or actually seeing him from Ajax days. I haven't seen him but my thoughts on him is that he is hardworking and always available to receive a pass . He can't be easily disposed (key trait for a team like us ) and can easily hold off couple of defenders. He isn't that explosive in the final third but that may be due to lack of confidence. He isn't your Messi type where he will dribble past couple of players and score. He has a good cross and a good shot.

100m is way too expensive for sure but then we didn't had a choice.

FujiVice

He does a lot of good things and a lot of bad, but he's young and clearly has bags of talent. The £80 million price tag has saddled him with unfair expectations, but he'll come good. Might have to wait a bit, though.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This is where I am. I also think this might be why he’s actually quite good.
Either that or he's not all that good but is still a profile of player the team desperately needed.

Either way, the key point is that the team is already better with him in it. The more he improves, the more that will be the case. So we'll see how far it goes.

mu4c_20le

He usually isn't bad, it's because of his price tag obviously that people will be more critical when he's quiet. Hopefully I don't jinx him but his bottom doesn't seem to be very low. He always works hard. Unfortunately his ceiling also doesn't look very high so far.

So........ Steady Eddie ? :nervous:

RuudTom83

In someways the threat of doing something skilful is enough to occupy defenders…when in reality he rarely beats a man, especially not enough to warrant doubling up on him or being scared…

Yet his presence on the pitch makes United better.

Stranger footballer but I like the kid! Will be interesting to watch his development for the next few years.

PaulScholes99

Let's say you work a mon - fri job and have a 2 week vacation coming up next week, and on the wednesday before you wake up sick, you call into work. Thursday morning you're feeling similar, and call in again. Friday you get up and you feel much better, but you've been sick the last couple days and everyone knows it, do you go back to work that friday, because you know you can go in and do your job, or do you just dial in again, because why would you go back for one shift, instead of just staying off till the end of your vacation, at which point no ones really going to remember or question how sick you were that friday?

Footballers are people, football is a job. Maybe you wouldn't be the person above, but I know a lot of those people and I guarantee you there are footballers who are those people.

I'm done with this conversation, I'm a huge fan of Antony, probably was before you ever heard of him. I am over what happened, but I am smart enough to realize what happened.
Thank you for enlightening us.

It's true that people like you described exist. Maybe Antony did exactly what you said. And maybe he didn't. But to claim that "you are smart enough to realize what really happend" is really weird. Because it is the opposite of smart to think you can judge something so definite while you actually have no idea whats the truth. You can guess but unless you know Antony personally or have inside informations you simly have zero clue.

acnumber9

The problem being that those kind of players shouldn’t be costing in excess of £80m. His pass completion is high because he takes zero risks and he’s so easy to read. He also slows down every single attack when he gets the ball. He has a lot of improving to do.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
We can't be hypocrites. We mock the scouse cnuts for saying Nunez will come good and even if he does it doesn't take away the fact that he looks like a terrible bit of business so far.

Same with Antony IMO, I can only imagine what this thread would look like if he played for one of our rivals and cost this amount.

I'm used to three profiles of wide players at top teams
1. The fast goalscoring forward - Son, Pedro, Sterling
2. The playmaker that uses less speed but dribbles and passes - Bernardo Silva, Kvaratskhelia, Sancho (Bvb version)
3. The hybrid of 1 and 2 - Neymar, Messi

I have no idea where Antony fits within this. Isn't particularly fast or a good finisher. He also hardly creates goalscoring opportunities. It's a head scratcher at the moment but hopefully he comes into his own and shows his full skillset because if this is all there is, we're in trouble.
4. The "false playmaker" with good technical ability, the ability to hold the ball under pressure, and a good long range shot but who doesn't really create chances - Coutinho, Trossard.

Coutinho is the #1 most similar player statistically to Antony per FBRef and while in many cases that site is way wide of the mark in this case they've nailed it.

Its not necessarily a bad thing, Coutinho was a really good PL player for a while, sometimes played in midfield but often out wide. It's just a question of whether that kind of player gives you what you need tactically for a given setup (which ultimately proved not to be true for Klopp's Liverpool but could be true for ETH's United).

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Nah he has it in him to be very creative and make things happen for sure. But in terms of running at defenders like Rashford, yeah i don't see him being that player. Pass and move, quick feint to open up a yard to play a through pass, cross or shot is what he'll be.

But generally his value will come at just doing all that to a high level, which is very dependent on his decision making. But we are much more balanced having someone just hug the touchline out there, because otherwise we are so left wing dominant.

Djemba-Djemba

He's scored 4 in 9 starts and he really should have scored a few more too.

I think that's a good sign, even if he is frustrating he seems a goal threat.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I do like him and feel there's a big talent there. Seems to give is balance and even a decent goal threat. Of course he does need to improve his direct running at defenders and taking initiative as he's very passive. Maybe it's the physicality of the league that he has to get used to that's hampering this.

Otherwise he also takes a lot of tame shots. But the fact that he's able to make space to take them is a positive. If he can become a real threat from a decent distance teams will have a harder time.

croadyman

Needs to believe in his ability, he can take on defenders but is refusing to do so right now opting to pass back... It has to be a confidence thing.
Yeah there is such a lack of confidence when it comes to taking on defenders. Still hoping that's going to come in time.

I want him to succeed so much but worry that this enormous price tag is also causing a problem.

Like many have said we definitely overpaid and I just hope we don't end up taking another big hit on someone like it looks to be happening with Maguire and maybe Jadon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.