5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

avgp_1

Dissapointing game from him, he should be better with his passing. He looks so off form

Milo2035

Love his reactions at full time. He was holding back tears. He genuinely loves and appreciates the club.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The counterattack where he got the ball to Rashford too late was just disappointing.

A better passer gets the ball to either of our forwards with a much cleaner pass.
Yeah. It was similar situation with Pellistri's assist in last game. And Pellistri did better than this 100m guy.

Kopral Jono

Antony has everything but that initial burst of pace from a standing start. This, unfortunately for him as well as for us, is required as a prerequisite to excel as a wide forward at a top Premier League level.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Not a number 9, think we all knew that, but he was pants when he came on.
Pants serve a purpose. Antony on the other hand….

Joking aside, yes he’s been way below expectations but he’s still young and in a new league. Still got 18 months to prove himself before he can be seriously written off.

Kostov

Blowing 100m on him certainly didn't help with people's expectations of him. He's a solid player but we overpaid for him by about 60m.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Trust me when I say you haven't seen his true form. He's been underwhelming most of the time but I sometimes see the glimpse of him at Ajax and then he doesn't pull through. I firmly beleive he will be better once he finds a click with Weghorst this season but deffo next season after a full preseason and a good rest.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Blowing 100m on him certainly didn't help with people's expectations of him. He's a solid player but we overpaid for him by about 60m.
I don't think anyone would dispute that, but he's surely got a higher ceiling than what we've seen so far. He is a different player in possession and out of possession. For the latter he is about as solid as he could possibly be, but in possession we've seen this strange unwillingness to take a player on and a reluctance to use his right foot. Yet, he's a good out-ball and takes care of the ball well if we need to hold possession, he's feisty and has great technique in a more static tempo. It's that lack of pace and unpredictability that he sorely lacks at the moment. Unfortunately there's not too much time now other than just prepare for individual matches and recover, but eventually that should be ironed out.

Maybe Pellistri getting a genuine opportunity will spur Antony on.

DarkXaero

Still think people are a bit harsh on him. He didn't do himself any favors today, but he was put in a tough position as a striker initially, and we were losing control of the game for most of that 2nd half.

Scottynaldinho

He's playing within himself. This time next year he'll be getting comparisons with Alexis at Arsenal. He's that sort of player.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
He's clearly not rubbish.

Said at the time anything over 50m was a bad deal. He has and will continue to contribute though and with Ten Hag he can still improve.
Feel like he also plays better when Dalot is on the field to overlap and I feel like he could benefit tremendously from a bigger striker who can hold the ball, just like at Ajax. Maybe even Weghorst? But yeah, sadly he was quite bad today, again.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Let's give him the season as I keep saying. He's chipped in with some goals but he really needs to improve his passing and final ball as it's been woeful most of the time which isnt helping his reputation at the moment.

As long as we are winning I don't care that much either. :)

Frank Grimes

Feel like he also plays better when Dalot is on the field to overlap and I feel like he could benefit tremendously from a bigger striker who can hold the ball, just like at Ajax. Maybe even Weghorst? But yeah, sadly he was quite bad today, again.
Good point. Ten Hag understands his strengths more than anyone so that's why I'm not overly concerned.

Think he might be playing with an injury too. Don't think he's ever been 100% but that is more a hunch than anything.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Any particular reason why we can’t see his season stats on top of the page? Think is same with Casemiro too

Eddy_JukeZ

He was fairly decent at the start(ignoring his goals), but he's gone off the boil lately.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’m sure he’ll get better but presently I’d say Pellistri is better and I’d rather see him on the right. He can at least carry the ball and also go past a full back.

I think Antony will pick up next season though. For me, the biggest disappointment isn’t even an inability to go past a player, but simply to run with the ball even unchallenged. He can’t even get us ip the pitch on the counter, and I haven’t seen him carry the ball 40 yards even in open space yet without almost falling over himself and turning around.

The United

I am really trying not to be over dramatic with rating his performance much until at the end of next season.

But we do need another RW who can stretch the defense.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Worrying display. Not an easy time to come on I suppose. Just hope the lack of excellent acceleration isn't going to haunt him in the PL.

amolbhatia50k

I’m sure he’ll get better but presently I’d say Pellistri is better and I’d rather see him on the right. He can at least carry the ball and also go past a full back.

I think Antony will pick up next season though. For me, the biggest disappointment isn’t even an inability to go past a player, but simply to run with the ball even unchallenged. He can’t even get us ip the pitch on the counter, and I haven’t seen him carry the ball 40 yards even in open space yet without almost falling over himself and turning around.

He's shown some good dribbling in his time here but two things (they're probably interlinked) he has to work hard on and quickly are is 1) his right foot 2) that thing he does where he slows things to a crawl and caresses the ball near the byline. He even does it when he's beaten his man and got space to move into

Basically more instinct and aggression. Attack the space as that shit poster boss would say.

RC89

I feel like we don't even know his full pace yet as he never wants to break with the ball. Instead, he slows down the play.

It might very well be that he just isn't very quick for a winger, but rarely does he even try to use any pace.

Can't write him off yet, lack of preseason makes a big diff, especially in a new league but the signs aren't great. I'm yet to see a player potentially worth £50m, nevermind £100m.

amolbhatia50k

I feel like we don't even know his full pace yet as he never wants to break with the ball. Instead, he slows down the play.

It might very well be that he just isn't very quick for a winger, but rarely does he even try to use any pace.

Can't write him off yet, lack of preseason makes a big diff, especially in a new league but the signs aren't great. I'm yet to see a player potentially worth £50m, nevermind £100m.
Like with Sancho he's not electric but quick enough when he's made space for himself. But he isn't really using it post WC at all. Maybe it's confidence. Let's give him thus season. Hopefully both of them show their quality next year

NoPace

He's playing within himself. This time next year he'll be getting comparisons with Alexis at Arsenal. He's that sort of player.
Sanchez had a much stronger lower body, but if Antony can add some strength he could get there. No idea if he can, that's the sort of thing only the strength and conditioning coaches at Ajax and United will know, really. Alexis at the same age was playing for Udinese and terrorizing teams on the break, though not a ton of end product.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Trust me when I say you haven't seen his true form. He's been underwhelming most of the time but I sometimes see the glimpse of him at Ajax and then he doesn't pull through. I firmly beleive he will be better once he finds a click with Weghorst this season but deffo next season after a full preseason and a good rest.
What is the issue here, he didn't have a pre-season? He looked quite good in World Cup game I saw him. He just looks "ordinarily" in the EPL.

He's definitely not fast and has no right foot. Everything else he does is just a result of those two factors. He reminds me a bit of Bernardo Silva, he likes to slow the game down, turn a few times, and keep the ball rolling. This is effective to progress with the ball but Silva has much more in his locker and doesn't play as a winger.

Is there any example of a player his age learning to play with his other foot? Because people keep saying "he needs to learn to use his weaker foot" but I don't think this happens after you're like 20years old?

I don't know about this guy, he looks quite limited and he knows it, so plays the way to hide his shortcomings. This is ok. Just not sure what is his ceiling compared to say Sancho, or even Pellistri.

The United

In an ideal world, he should clearly be above the likes of players who were on loans for the past two years and who are not even in the squad in the middle of the season.

But here, we are trying to see if he has better potential than those players.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
My main issue with him is that he was a much, much better creator at Ajax but I just don't see it now. His vision and, especially, the execution of his passes and crosses has been so poor for us.

Hopefully he'll find his true form sooner rather than later (same as Sancho).

Josh 76

There is definitely a player in there. He’s got so much natural ability which you just can’t teach. Hopefully with the right coaching from Ten Haag, we will see him blossom next season.

Edwards6

Don't think he's been as bad as people are saying, but because of the price tag expectations are too high. Only problem is he sometimes plays it too safe instead of attacking the defender, Its obvious the talent he's got and I'm sure he'll get more confidence and improve with time

Donut

I think Sancho is ultimately a much better player. Hopefully Sancho’s break will do for him what it did for AWB, and then he’ll easily take Antony’s spot. Next year, Amad will challenge for the spot as well.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think Sancho is ultimately a much better player. Hopefully Sancho’s break will do for him what it did for AWB, and then he’ll easily take Antony’s spot. Next year, Amad will challenge for the spot as well.
No way. Anthony has had a better season than Sancho’s combined.

Anthony with a striker will unleash his creativity.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Rashy was rubbish, Casemiro was rubbish, hell even Martinez was written off by most fans and pundits. Antony is a talented player, like the before mentioned too, and under ETH, he will come very good. He just needs more time than others for whatever reason.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Finally a sensible take from someone who knows the player well.

Also, if anyone can get this guy firing it's the bald genius currently in charge

florisW

Supports
Ajax
He was at his best at Ajax with a striker that he can pas it to and when he had competition on his position. I think he needs that will to be better than his competition

Skills

Snitch
Dalot doesn't overlap. Antony always takes the wider position on the right, and his full back (regardless of it being Dalot/AWB) is always on the inside. But yesterday he was obviously up front in a 2.

Drizzle

I'm yet to see a player potentially worth £50m, nevermind £100m.
He cost £84m. I know the media and rival fans like to artificially inflate our transfer fees, but can we not do it please.

kidbob

Meh I won't right him off yet. I remember the 'Rashford' days too well and how he was finished and shite and couldn't dribble or score and every other thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.